Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Where did you get the Minix?
    I got it from Amazon. A mate of mine got one from Chinavasion. But he said that was about two weeks shipping.

Amazon had a free trial of Amazon Prime so I ordered it on Friday and received it in my Parcel Motel on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I still haven't gotten around to updating my Minix Neo X7 ROM. I was watching some streamed content last night and it was stuttering and had sound problems. I fixed the sound problems through the Advances -> Sound Devices menu in the Minix launcher but have no idea where I'd find such options in the standard device settings or if I was using another launcher. Any ideas?

Also, am I better off upgrading to the latest Minix ROM or going with one of the custom ROMs and if so which ROM is currently "the best"? My main objective is to have a smooth XBMC experience with online content streaming.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

BenThere wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten around to updating my Minix Neo X7 ROM. I was watching some streamed content last night and it was stuttering and had sound problems. I fixed the sound problems through the Advances -> Sound Devices menu in the Minix launcher but have no idea where I'd find such options in the standard device settings or if I was using another launcher. Any ideas?

Also, am I better off upgrading to the latest Minix ROM or going with one of the custom ROMs and if so which ROM is currently "the best"? My main objective is to have a smooth XBMC experience with online content streaming.

Ben

there's a setting in xbmc if the streams are stuttering

it's a cache setting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

there's a setting in xbmc if the streams are stuttering

it's a cache setting

What menu is that in can you remember? I had a good look around but can't find it. :o

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Where/how can one get the P2P Add-on for XBMC?

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    What menu is that in can you remember? I had a good look around but can't find it. :o

Ben

i think it's a little more complicated than a menu setting after all

I installed xunity

it has it in there under tweaks

"Add 0 Cache Advanced XML"...that's the one you want

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ainm usaideoir

Allyall wrote: »

A few different places, But the one I'd go for is

http://matricom.net/software-and-roms/mx2-software

Thanks for your help Allyall , up and running with latest firmware , Great stuff , cheers !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Thanks for your help Allyall , up and running with latest firmware , Great stuff , cheers !!

Assuming you ordered the cloned mx2. Did you wifi work straight off? Mine just stalls at turning on. Not too much of an issue, had spare powerline adapters lying about. I reflashed the rom and cleared the cache but neither worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

I would recommend all streaming to be done via Ethernet and not Wifi if at all possible on the Minix. Huge difference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

uRbaN wrote: »
    I would recommend all streaming to be done via Ethernet and not Wifi if at all possible on the Minix. Huge difference for me.

I didn't see much difference when I connected my MiniX to ethernet...I'm getting between 25-30MB with Wifi and when I connected Ethernet cable it fluctuated between 25-33MB , where as my telly jumped from 25MB to 88MB... I'm on UPC 120MB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bren2001 wrote: »
    Assuming you ordered the cloned mx2. Did you wifi work straight off? Mine just stalls at turning on. Not too much of an issue, had spare powerline adapters lying about. I reflashed the rom and cleared the cache but neither worked.

A few more just arrived for me. I have the first one in, and Wi-Fi is full strength. What Rom came with it?
    I normally install the Matricom Rom straight away. I decided to try the stock rom this time, as I may not be ordering any more for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

A few more just arrived for me. I have the first one in, and Wi-Fi is full strength. What Rom came with it?
    I normally install the Matricom Rom straight away. I decided to try the stock rom this time, as I may not be ordering any more for a while.

Cannot remember what the stock ROM was, WIFI barely worked on it. It would turn on but timed out very quickly. I installed Matricom 1.1.5 (then 6 and 7), opened the box and reseated the adapter, still just stalls when turning on the wifi in MSettings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Anyone know of any good remote andoid app that can let me control my android box from my android phone / tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good remote andoid app that can let me control my android box from my android phone / tablet?

the best one by far is called Yatse

Washout wrote: »
    the best one by far is called Yatse

Yatse is great, but it's only for controlling XBMC.
    I think he means something like these - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=tablet%20remote&c=apps&hl=en

Yatse is great, but it's only for controlling XBMC.
    I think he means something like these - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=tablet%20remote&c=apps&hl=en

Exactly. Anyone have any experience of use these apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ainm usaideoir

bren2001 wrote: »

Wasn't great first off , big improvement when I updated firmware !! . I use a wired connection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Amazon seem to have reduced their price on the Ouya.

For £80 I think it is a very good XBMC box at the very least, also has a good version of plex. Not to mention it has gaming if desired.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OUYA-OUYA1-Console-Electronic-Games/dp/B0050SZD18/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398265461&sr=8-1&keywords=ouya

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

DroidMote is what I use, I think it's the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just ordered an Ouya , would anyone recommend making changes to it when I get it ?

• Advertisement

Exactly. Anyone have any experience of use these apps?

I tried about 6 apps for remote control of android tv
    I couldn't get any to work properly

apart from the xbmc remotes which work fine

Hope someone creates a better app to do this. It will really be useful. I tried Table Remote app and it was disappointing to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Yatse is best of the bunch for xbmc, otherwise order a proper keyboard/mouse combo like the Logitech k400

I haven't used this yet, but it looks like it may be good. Fully customisable.
    http://www.aioremote.net/home
    AIO Remote Play Store

Terrible quality video, but you can see what it is capable of:

^^ I will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Just ordered an Ouya , would anyone recommend making changes to it when I get it ?

This might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWkTZjA8D6s&list=TLhH0ETBmwzxNj_GT6xAC00P4hp6JwBR7C

I haven't used this yet, but it looks like it may be good. Fully customisable.
    http://www.aioremote.net/home
    AIO Remote Play Store

Terrible quality video, but you can see what it is capable of:
    I just tried it
    the server part of the app doesn't seem to run on android

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

I don't know which one shall I go between these two..

MiniX NEO X7 or RK3188 Quad Core Android TV Box Media

This is needed for my father to watch bbc's and Itv's since the changes on the satellite he can't get them anymore from the country were he lives and since is not a computer literate and I live in here in Ireland I won't be at hand for any changes needed.

Which one runs Filmon or NotFilmon apps and is there one that can easily updated with little help such as download the update and install?

Can I connect remotely with the likesof Teamviewer just in case he is stucked?

I appreciate your help because he racked my head to sort his channels.

Zeppi

Zeppi wrote: »
    I don't know which one shall I go between these two..

MiniX NEO X7 or RK3188 Quad Core Android TV Box Media

They are the same. The RK3188 Quad Core is the CPU inside the Minix Neo X7
    Which one runs Filmon or NotFilmon apps and is there one that can easily updated with little help such as download the update and install?
    All should be the same to update and install.
    Can I connect remotely with the likesof Teamviewer just in case he is stucked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Thanks buddy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement