Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

What rom do ye have on the prometheus? I've the finless bob one & to be honest I haven't found the unit great. Maybe I've just been unlucky. The unit sometimes fails to boot & the usb ports fail, normally when I'm transferring data. Would a reset help or what else could anyone recommend. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jgbyr wrote: »
    What rom do ye have on the prometheus? I've the finless bob one & to be honest I haven't found the unit great. Maybe I've just been unlucky. The unit sometimes fails to boot & the usb ports fail, normally when I'm transferring data. Would a reset help or what else could anyone recommend. Thanks.
    Finless Rom. Have you put the "northbridge heatsink" (from an old computer) in it after you bought it?
    Allyall wrote: »
    Back to the MX2 :)
    Uh. The SPDIF out. I see a round jack, but I'm looking for the square connection;
    305887.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

what are the new tv sticks like?

do they still need a heatsink added?

mine is working perfectly now but had to open it up and add a heatsink/fan

the_syco wrote: »
    Finless Rom. Have you put the "northbridge heatsink" (from an old computer) in it after you bought it?]

No, don't have a heatsink fitted. Could be that so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Finless Rom. Have you put the "northbridge heatsink" (from an old computer) in it after you bought it?

Uh. The SPDIF out. I see a round jack, but I'm looking for the square connection;
    305887.JPG

Yeah, sorry, I was a few sheets to the wind. I thought the Passthrough would be enough.

There is also a DVB-T2 version and a DTS version. I think the DVB-T2 version has both.

I was querying modding it because i they have the same board, but not the Prometheus. but should have DTS pasthrough also.
    Nearly sure that Matricom have the proper licensed codecs now also, so their ROM would be required initially, and should prevent the chopping and distortion you read about in the other box.
    I'm almost sure it's Acemax that sell it. Would have to look a bit more, but off the top of my head it's them.

I'm off today, so I'll try and link to them when I feel a bit less groggy :/ .

• Advertisement

No, don't have a heatsink fitted. Could be that so.
    Yeah. Read that without, it heats up, and is meant to have problems handling 1080p, etc.

FYI; I leave my Prometheus running 24/7. I copy files to it using an FTP server that also runs 24/7 and doesn't disconnect. It plays 1080p no problem, and I have played some basic games on it. It has not crashed once.

Please follow this guide, and ensure you get the size of the heatsink correct, as it cannot be too high or it won't fit (although I've seen some people mod the case to fit an external fan on top of the heatsink!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Hey Allyall , Tried to PM you back but your inbox is full. Thanks for the advice.

305887.JPG
    Never got the chance today to confirm which model it is, But i think it's here - http://www.acemax.net.cn/en/cp.asp
    I do wonder why DTS passthrough won't do it though.. :o
    Out of curiousity, are you going to an amp or directly to speakers?

I'm paying all day for last nights drinking, But that kept coming into my foggy/cloudy head.. :(

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Hey Allyall , Tried to PM you back but your inbox is full. Thanks for the advice.
    Thanks, cleared out some messages. :)

Never got the chance today to confirm which model it is, But i think it's here - http://www.acemax.net.cn/en/cp.asp
    Out of curiousity, are you going to an amp or directly to speakers?
    I'll be connecting it to a Yamaha RX-V359 receiver, which has a 5.1 speaker system connected to it. Used to use a WD Player, but never got around to figuring out how to put an Android OS onto it. Have a stack of videos that I'm just not watching until I get the DTS sorted.
    I'm unsure what you are asking, or if I have confused both of us with one of my answers?

I'll be connecting it to a Yamaha RX-V359 receiver, which has a 5.1 speaker system connected to it. Used to use a WD Player, but never got around to figuring out how to put an Android OS onto it. Have a stack of videos that I'm just not watching until I get the DTS sorted.

I'm unsure what you are asking, or if I have confused both of us with one of my answers?

You could use the Coaxial input with the SPDIF on the MX2?
    306005.jpg

With this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cables-To-Go-Female-Adapter/dp/B002DWAXL4/
    31ctsG-5eXL._SX385_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Just wondering what other Minix Neo x7 owners are using as their remote? The original remote is pretty basic. I have read mixed reviews about the Minix Neo A2 and the Logitech K400.

Am I better off chancing something like this?

All opinions/experiences appreciated!

branners69 wrote: »
    Just wondering what other Minix Neo x7 owners are using as their remote? The original remote is pretty basic. I have read mixed reviews about the Minix Neo A2 and the Logitech K400.

I got this one recently on eBay & I have to say I find it excellent. Very responsive & never had a problem. I had a similar one previously but it never functioned properly. Delivery was quick also.
    m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161245911956

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I've a programmable Logitech remote so I popped the Neo X7 remote profile on that. However it uses the exact same buttons as the remote which is a pain in the ass.

I found this article which is on my list of things to do but it's doesn't seem like a quick job.

http://minixforums.com/threads/how-logitech-harmony-remote-owners-can-map-more-buttons-for-their-minix-neo-x7.3126/

timetogo wrote: »
    I've a programmable Logitech remote so I popped the Neo X7 remote profile on that. However it uses the exact same buttons as the remote which is a pain in the ass.

I found this article which is on my list of things to do but it's doesn't seem like a quick job.

http://minixforums.com/threads/how-logitech-harmony-remote-owners-can-map-more-buttons-for-their-minix-neo-x7.3126/

I have a Logitech Harmony One and a Logitech Harmony 885. I did as you did but the limitations of not having a play button etc is a pain! Pity Logitech didnt update the profile to cover essential buttons!

I have a feeling that a keyboard with a mouse might be somewhat handier to do all tasks! Wife wont be too happy we have another remote though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Guys,

I bought a Minix Neo X7 about 6 weeks ago and am only now getting around to configuring it. It's been used straight out of the box to stream content over WiFi from a NAS and live sport streaming from the internet also over WiFi without any major issues.

Before I invest the time to configure XBMC and the other apps I want to use on it I'd like to ensure I've got the best ROM loaded. The current official Minix ROM is NEO X7 010 firmware (30th April 2014) http://www.minixforums.com/threads/neo-x7-010-firmware-30th-april-2014.5921/

Is this the best ROM to upgrade to or is there a custom ROM which would suit my usage better? I'll be using the X7 primarily for streaming NAS content over WiFi via XBMC and streaming online sports with HDMI output to an Onkyo amp so DTS pass through is important.

Cheers,

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I bought a Minix Neo X7 about 6 weeks ago and am only now getting around to configuring it. It's been used straight out of the box to stream content over WiFi from a NAS and live sport streaming from the internet also over WiFi without any major issues.

Before I invest the time to configure XBMC and the other apps I want to use on it I'd like to ensure I've got the best ROM loaded. The current official Minix ROM is NEO X7 010 firmware (30th April 2014) http://www.minixforums.com/threads/neo-x7-010-firmware-30th-april-2014.5921/

Is this the best ROM to upgrade to or is there a custom ROM which would suit my usage better? I'll be using the X7 primarily for streaming NAS content over WiFi via XBMC and streaming online sports with HDMI output to an Onkyo amp so DTS pass through is important.

Cheers,

Ben

I'm on a bad connection at the moment and using a very old PC, so I can't link (Everything/New Tabs take ages to load) to anything.
    I'd be sure that ROM is good enough, but I think there's a ROM called Quickfire or Quickshot. IIRC it's on version 2 or 3, or between them, and It's not straight forward install. Well, the initial install is straight forward, but then I think there are a couple of patches to add.

People who have it with the correct patches, afaik seem to have no problems. But those same patches may also be applied to the KitKat and Finless Roms too, I'm not 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Zeppi wrote: »
    I second bazzz this guy http://www.smarttvbox.ie was very helpful. I highly recomend him he saved my day.

Zeppi

Can you plug external drives into it ?

I got this one recently on eBay & I have to say I find it excellent. Very responsive & never had a problem. I had a similar one previously but it never functioned properly. Delivery was quick also.
    m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161245911956
    I think this is the one that I'm using. The "backlit keys" button is great when I'm watching the movie in the dark, and find the touchpad right next to my thumb to be very convenient when browsing the internet, and/or playing Mahjong.

=-=

Allyall; big thanks for the suggestion of the aliexpress link, although I'll probably get it off DX as aliexpress doesn't accept PayPal.

=-=

Have also found a a MiniX Neo X8s. Have had a MiniX Neo G4, and liking the build quality, I may go for the same.

aliexpress.com AML8726 €55/85
    CPU:AML8726-MX
    GPU:Mali-400
    DDR:1GB
    Flash:8GB

DX.com S802-H €110.26
    Chipset:Amlogic S802-H
    GPU:Quad-Core Mali-450
    RAM:2GB
    Storage:16GB

Also, from reading http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/amlogic-stb-socs-comparison-aml8726-mx-s802-s805-and-s812/ it seems the S802 chip is a bit better. Wouldn't have any use for the DVB, so don't mind losing that. The upgrade from Dual to Quad core, as well as the upgrade from 1GB to 2GB's RAM is nice. It seems the S802 chip will also support the new Android 4.4 Kitkat.

Have also found a Tronsmart version;

GeekBuying.com S802-H €100.28
    Chipset:Amlogic S802-H
    GPU:Quad-Core Mali-450
    RAM:2GB
    Storage:16GB
    Seems it comes with Android 4.4 Kitkat?

One main thing swaying me towards the Tronsmart Vega is the firmware updates it does after the product is released.

On the plus side, GeekBuying does do nice sales from time to time, so may pick up the Vega on the cheap :)

=-=

I do worry about how much Customs will add to it, though, seeing as I think they added €20 or €25 onto my Tronsmart Prometheus bill. Pity all the Amazon options are from China; would've liked not waiting three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I don't think that Neo X8 is released yet. I did some googling after seeing you mention it and some of the forums mention that DX are listing it before the spec is finalised. There's no mention of it on Minixs website.

timetogo wrote: »
    I don't think that Neo X8 is released yet. I did some googling after seeing you mention it and some of the forums mention that DX are listing it before the spec is finalised. There's no mention of it on Minixs website.

I wouldn't go with the Amlogic S802-H *yet* anyway. I'd say it may be amazing, but after the RK3188, I'd wait until a few developers have had it and it's been tweaked, pulled, bashed etc..
    That aside, the AML8726-MX is the chip that the DTS codec licences have been paid for, and Matricom bought them. They may be able to bring them, but they don't seem to be going for the S802-H, so someone else will probably have to cough up.
    Even with all of the problems the Rockchip had/has, Minix didn't acquire them when they may have helped, so they probably won't now either.

And, the AML8726-MX is tried and tested.

• Advertisement

Does anyone play games on their Neo x7? I was wondering what you use as your game pad. I have installed Quickshot V2 and have my ps3 controller connected but it doesnt seem to work with any of the games I have tried like Jetpack etc.

I wonder if it only works with emulators?

Does anyone play games on their Neo x7? I was wondering what you use as your game pad. I have installed Quickshot V2 and have my ps3 controller connected but it doesnt seem to work with any of the games I have tried like Jetpack etc.

I wonder if it only works with emulators?
    Look into "sixaxis", or also "USB/BT Joystick Center Gold"3

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

threein99 wrote: »
    Can you plug external drives into it ?

Yes you can

Zeppi

I'm on a bad connection at the moment and using a very old PC, so I can't link (Everything/New Tabs take ages to load) to anything.
    I'd be sure that ROM is good enough, but I think there's a ROM called Quickfire or Quickshot. IIRC it's on version 2 or 3, or between them, and It's not straight forward install. Well, the initial install is straight forward, but then I think there are a couple of patches to add.

People who have it with the correct patches, afaik seem to have no problems. But those same patches may also be applied to the KitKat and Finless Roms too, I'm not 100%.

Mmmmm, sounds a bit too challenging for me. More downside than upside!!!

Mmmmm, sounds a bit too challenging for me. More downside than upside!!!

I'd say the current ROM is stable enough.
    For all of the ROMS available, I'd stick with that for the convenience, unless it has many bugs, in which case I'd try the Quickshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Does the SkyGo App work on any decent Android box? It doesn't work on the MK908II

I'd say the current ROM is stable enough.
    For all of the ROMS available, I'd stick with that for the convenience, unless it has many bugs, in which case I'd try the Quickshot.

Thanks Allyall,

I downloaded the ROM, renamed it to "update.zip" and stuck it on a USB which I inserted in the N7 but for the life of me I couldn't copy it from the USB to the internal drive. I tried the file manager that came with the device and two others I downloaded but no joy. I then connected my N7 to my PC in order to copy and paste the zip directly from my PC to the internal drive of the N7 but when I connect it (using a USB cable I frequently use for connecting my Samsung Note 2 and other phones to my PC) it doesn't appear as an external drive and I don't get an option for MTP or Camera.

I'm a little confused.com :o

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

You need to use the usb cable supplied because the end is longer than a normal usb cable.

Zeppi

Thanks Allyall,

I downloaded the ROM, renamed it to "update.zip" and stuck it on a USB which I inserted in the N7 but for the life of me I couldn't copy it from the USB to the internal drive. I tried the file manager that came with the device and two others I downloaded but no joy. I then connected my N7 to my PC in order to copy and paste the zip directly from my PC to the internal drive of the N7 but when I connect it (using a USB cable I frequently use for connecting my Samsung Note 2 and other phones to my PC) it doesn't appear as an external drive and I don't get an option for MTP or Camera.

I'm a little confused.com :o

Ben

I just had a big post written, and Boards logged me out... :mad: Didn't keep it when I logged back in either. AAAAGGHH!

Did you press in 'Recovery' with a Pin/paperclip/cocktail stick when you were connecting?

You need to have the 'recovery' button pressed when you power on the Minix.

Download this - Rockchip Batch Tool and Drivers.
    and this - Quickshot V2. ROM (From PC)

Extract them both to folders.

When you have connected the Minix to the PC, Hold a paperclip or similar in the 'Recovery' hole and press that button.
    With that button being held in, Then power on the Minix.
    The PC should detect it.
    If the PC hasn't installed the Drivers, Browse your Computer, and point it at the correct folder for the drivers (E.G. 32bit windows 7) and install them.
    Once the drivers have been installed, Restart your PC.

When your PC has restarted, and you have connected the Minix correctly (Pinhole button pressed, power on)
    Launch:
    RKBatchTool.exe (It's inside the 'Batch Tool' Folder).
    If the Minix is connected correctly, you should see "1 Connected device" Highlighted in Green, like this.
    The red text is the next steps:
    xraas55.jpg?1
    In case the image has been corrupted:

Browse to the ROM .img file where you have extracted it (In this case, the Quickshot V2. Rom .img)
    Wait for the message "Loading Firmware Finished" to appear"
    Press "Restore" To flash your device with the .img file you have chosen.

Once you click "Restore"
    The Green Highlighted Connected Device, should start to blink Yellow, and you will see the Minix being flashed, the files being extracted/applied will appear in a step by step/list form.

Once it has finished, you can disconnect the Minix and plug it into your TV.
    This is the same way to flash any ROM image on to it. Once you have installed the Drivers onto your PC, you won't need to do that again.
    Flashing the image onto the Minix, should take 1-2 minutes.

More info about the ROM and extras here - http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?9877-Minix-Neo-X7-Quickshot-v2-Rom-by-The-Nitro-Team

I don't think I've left anything out, but the last post seemed longer.. :confused:

• Advertisement

Thanks Allyall, I appreciate it. I'l have a go at this over the next few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement