Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

timetogo wrote: »
    You can plug proper hard drives into the android boxes. The one I have also works with Logitech cameras.
    Regarding its speed, my box boots faster than my Windows PC. As for playing video it plays that at exactly the same speed as the PC.

Have you seen them in action? I've no problem using a PC where it's needed. My android box has replaced my PC under the TV and I haven't missed the PC at all. (I do have a normal PC for work though, it'd be a totally different situation if that was my only PC).

Yeah I've had the MK808 in the past and use a K-R42 at the moment so I'm well familiar with them. For just playing local video they work okay, when I want to do something serious like stream a match though I just plug the laptop in via HDMI. It just handles AceStream and Sopcast way better as well as 1080p streaming from XBMC etc. There's no issues with outputting 5.1 or anything on the laptop either, but I have plenty of problems trying to get DTS to pass through on the Android boxes. Don't get me wrong, I love my Android box, but I wouldn't be dropping €150 on one when I could almost get a proper (smallform) pc for the same price with better storage, reliability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Moyglish wrote: »
    Right guys, if you had to choose between the MX2 or the Minix X8-H or a M8 MX (someone recommended this and said they're better than the MX2?) which would you go for and why?

Would I be better getting them from an Irish seller that has them pre-loaded so there's no messing about?

Or if I was to go get one from eBay/China do they require much work to get them up and running, like does XMBC come pre-installed on them?

I wouldn't mind saving a few pound but if it's going to create hours of hassle downloading files and spending nights trawling through forums then maybe I'd be better off just spending it bit more and having it done for me.

Installing XBMC is very easy.

Perhaps you might find it benificial to install it on your PC or Laptop to get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Thanks iba, I just might do that!

I'm sure I'll be fine using XMBC, it looks grand, very straight forward.

It's just the actual installing it onto a box that worries me - I've never even rooted a phone before and I'd be afraid of bricking it. :o

I might as well just pay the extra and get one from an Irish seller so and potentially save myself a lot of hassle.

What would you recommend between the MX2 or the Minix X8-H or a M8 MX?

I'm eager to pull the trigger and order one this evening :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

check amazon before you order from irish sellers, some come preloaded with xmbc installed and could be for a fraction of the cost

see here ;)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Jelly-Bean-Streaming-Mali-400/dp/B00CZC8BOS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1402338654&sr=8-13&keywords=android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Got my X7 from Amazon. It had XBMC installed as standard. I think it's part of the build. The XBMC is labelled Minix XBMC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

It's just the actual installing it onto a box that worries me - I've never even rooted a phone before and I'd be afraid of bricking it. :o

I might as well just pay the extra and get one from an Irish seller so and potentially save myself a lot of hassle.

I don't know about those boxes. I have an MK908II which I bought from geekbuying.com

And installing XBMC on it is so easy - it is just like using an Android phone and downloading apps from the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

The Minix X8-H comes with the Gotham version of Minix XBMC which is tweaked to run well on the Minix devices.But it's very easy to install whatever version of XBMC you want/suits you.Lots of the sellers will install a few third party Addons before they ship it to you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

From what I've been reading I think I've narrowed it down to two boxes.

Either the MX2 or the Minix X8-H

I've been looking at these also - http://dreamboxxbmcireland.com/products/ - can anyone recommend or give feedback?

There's not much specs mentioned on that site except that it's a dual core, so probably an old model and well overpriced at that. For a similar price of 155 you can get the new Minix X8-H with remote here in Ireland (www.smarttvbox.ie) or around 130 from the UK. As Allyall mentioned above, you could probably get the MX2 from China for around 35 Euro (+maybe VAT) but it would require a new ROM to make it a solid little machine which should do the job fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Blade wrote: »
    There's not much specs mentioned on that site except that it's a dual core, so probably an old model and well overpriced at that. For a similar price of 155 you can get the new Minix X8-H with remote here in Ireland (www.smarttvbox.ie) or around 130 from the UK. As Allyall mentioned above, you could probably get the MX2 from China for around 35 Euro (+maybe VAT) but it would require a new ROM to make it a solid little machine which should do the job fine.

I'm gettint the MX2 and airmouse for 70 delivered from China Inc vat. No xbmc add ons out of the box though. I added all them myself.

Do you know of a good ROM I could add?

Customs seem to catch them every time now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Do you know of a good ROM I could add?

Allyall is your man for that :) Let us know how you get on with it after the updated ROM, how it handles HD etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Check out the ouya, comes with xbmc in its store. Or you can easily install the latest build direct from its browser.

Plays everything I've thrown at it. Dts passthrough is a bit hit and miss. But it can easily do the decoding and send the audio as multichannel to the amp. Works great.

It's remote is a bit crap but you can use any bluetooth remote, ps3 Xbox etc..

And it runs the xbmc ui buttery smooth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Allyall is your man for that :) Let us know how you get on with it after the updated ROM, how it handles HD etc.

HD is fine straight out of the box on the standard ROM.

Thanks for all help guys, really appreciate all the feedback!

Right, so I've went ahead and ordered one of these - MX2 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean XBMC Streaming Box. Dual Core A9, Dual Mali-400

I hope I've made the right choice anyhow!

For the price it seemed like a no-brainer - £46.72

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Jelly-Bean-Streaming-Mali-400/dp/B00CZC8BOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402337303&sr=8-2&keywords=mx2+android+xbmc

Looks like it already has XMBC installed, and as it's being fulfilled by Amazon if there's any problems, I should be OK with regards to returns etc..

Only thing that's bugging me though is that it says it's an MX2 but it looks like a MX?

Did I do OK guys? :D

Did I do OK guys? :D

Did you read the reviews? Some suggesting it's not a genuine MX2 and that it's slow or locking up, others saying it didn't come pre-loaded with xbmc (not really a problem). Guess you'll only know when you use it for a while! :)

Did you read the reviews? Some suggesting it's not a genuine MX2 and that it's slow or locking up, others saying it didn't come pre-loaded with xbmc (not really a problem). Guess you'll only know when you use it for a while! :)

I did, but I figured seeing as it's fulfilled by Amazon, they'll have good customer care and after sales service if I need it. I just figured the price was too good not to take a chance on and see how I get on.

By all means however, if you know of any other sellers / sites where I could be guaranteed to get a genuine MX2 for a similarish enough price, please let me know - can always cancel the Amazon order if needs be :)

I did, but I figured seeing as it's fulfilled by Amazon, they'll have good customer care and after sales service if I need it. I just figured the price was too good not to take a chance on and see how I get on.

By all means however, if you know of any other sellers / sites where I could be guaranteed to get a genuine MX2 for a similarish enough price, please let me know - can always cancel the Amazon order if needs be :)

If it's a clone of an MX2 you might still be able to install a new ROM on it, you'll then still have to install and set up XBMC etc. so there's going to be a bit of learning involved and perhaps not quite the plug and play you were hoping for. If it's all too daunting, there are other alternatives to XBMC, there's some good stand-alone apps I can recommend to you by PM. But see how you get on first and maybe have a chat with Allyall about it as he's way more knowledgeable than me on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

there's some good stand-alone apps I can recommend to you by PM
    ^--- PM me ^--- PM me!!! :-)

BTW, I recently installed beyond XBMC on my Minix N7. It's a standard Android App so all you have to do is download the APK file from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2655622 and let it self install. It couldn't be easier and works 100%.

Ben

I took your (?) advise Blade, and downloaded XBMC on my laptop laptop, seems pretty straight forward enough to use so far, so thanks for that :)

Guess I'll have to wait and see what arrives from Amazon and take it from there!

Thanks once again for all the help guys, really appreciate it and sorry for all the n00b questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

sorry for all the n00b questions!
    Don't be, we were all n00bs once and we're all still n00bs when it somes to things we don't know.

As I said in my post above, "Beyond XBMC" on XDA insalls just like an Android app, download it direct to the box and it will simply install itself. All you have to do then is set up your network, point it at your NAS/attach a hard drive and you're in business.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

If you're using XBMC and have an android phone I really, really recommend Yatse.

You have to pay a couple of quid for all the options but once you have you can

remote control the device from your phone.

send links to videos from your device to the phone. E.g. for apps like YouTube and certain apps that can't be discussed on Boards you can just click the share button and then "Send to XBMC". Up it pops on your TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

No end to the variety of Android TV boxes, is there?

Another new one from Tronsmart, the S89-H, is available:
    Tronsmart Vega S89-H.

The 'H' variant appears to support Dolby and DTS hardware decoding. The non-'H' variant should still decode in software Dolby/DTS when using appropriate player e.g. XBMC.

Video review here: SomeCoolTech.

Is the general consensus that the Minix Neo X7 is still the best buy? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey Guys

I bought the following a few months back, just to get xbmc and a few other things up and running. Using it more and more now so looking at upgrade to really start using full time. Any idea's what would be best?

Have a quad core in the below but it is the T version so would like to go with the full quad core or what processor is out now that is best?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Zilog wrote: »
    No end to the variety of Android TV boxes, is there?

Another new one from Tronsmart, the S89-H, is available:
    Tronsmart Vega S89-H.

The 'H' variant appears to support Dolby and DTS hardware decoding. The non-'H' variant should still decode in software Dolby/DTS when using appropriate player e.g. XBMC.

Video review here: SomeCoolTech.

Is the general consensus that the Minix Neo X7 is still the best buy? Cheers.

Is that the "ohhhh yeahhhhh Rivers here" guy???

Good reviewer, but he should drop that intro, verrrrry irritating. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

Hi was thinking of getting the Mx2 after reading most of this thread. It will be my first box . II would like to use it for mostly streaming sports and the odd TV show. I would use my laptop for this but it's a bit old and sluggish. Is the MX as good as any. From what I hear on this thread it seems pretty stable and cheap as well but don't think anyone has mentioned how good it is for Streaming sports. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

anybody have any thoughts on the M8 box?

Is that the "ohhhh yeahhhhh Rivers here" guy???

Good reviewer, but he should drop that intro, verrrrry irritating. IMO.

Noooo! That's the only way I know I'm listening to the right review, what with all the rubbish that comes up on Youtube.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I bought the following a few months back, just to get xbmc and a few other things up and running. Using it more and more now so looking at upgrade to really start using full time. Any idea's what would be best?

What's wrong with it that you reckon you need to upgrade it? I thought that was supposed to be a good device. IMO once something handles HD properly it's good enough. Well unless you're looking for more connectivity options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Right guys, if you had to choose between the MX2 or the Minix X8-H or a M8 MX (someone recommended this and said they're better than the MX2?) which would you go for and why?

Would I be better getting them from an Irish seller that has them pre-loaded so there's no messing about?

Or if I was to go get one from eBay/China do they require much work to get them up and running, like does XMBC come pre-installed on them?

I wouldn't mind saving a few pound but if it's going to create hours of hassle downloading files and spending nights trawling through forums then maybe I'd be better off just spending it bit more and having it done for me.

I bought the Minix X8-H yesterday. I know the guy selling them in Waterford. Its a little more exp than buying online but at least any problems he will stand over it and he is autherised reseller in Ireland.

Anyway I'm slowly getting to grips with it. There are some stuff pre installed on it, Mobdro, Showbox, Navi X , etc. It looks a cool piece of kit, the basic remote that comes with it it sh1t :P. The guy gave me a MINIX NEO M1 remote which I haven't tested out yet as It needs to be charged.
    I will report back once I mess around with the unit.

Anyone got any suggestions for apps or repos that I should install on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I bought the Minix X8-H yesterday. I know the guy selling them in Waterford. Its a little more exp than buying online but at least any problems he will stand over it and he is autherised reseller in Ireland.

Anyway I'm slowly getting to grips with it. There are some stuff pre installed on it, Mobdro, Showbox, Navi X , etc. It looks a cool piece of kit, the basic remote that comes with it it sh1t :P. The guy gave me a MINIX NEO M1 remote which I haven't tested out yet as It needs to be charged.

mashup
    p2p streams
    sportsdevil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

I use this with the Neo x7...very happy withh it.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r

Also install the Null Keyboard app to stop the onscreen keyboard appearing.
    Get Torrent Stream Controller & Ace Streams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement