Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

uRbaN wrote: »
    I use this with the Neo x7...very happy withh it.
    http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r
    Thanks. I will check that out.
    Also install the Null Keyboard app to stop the onscreen keyboard appearing.
    Get Torrent Stream Controller & Ace Streams.
    Cool, I will install that keyboard app. I have Ace streams and torrent stream controller installed. I also got I stream , mashup and simply movies installed :)

Can I get BBC iplayer installed and use VPN ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Blade wrote: »
    What's wrong with it that you reckon you need to upgrade it? I thought that was supposed to be a good device. IMO once something handles HD properly it's good enough. Well unless you're looking for more connectivity options.

It is working fine, just sometimes on HD it seems to be choppy playing so I was thinking the processor could be issue....

I have UPC BB and am getting good connection, have box connected direct into router so just thinking it might be processor....dont really have option to test anything to see it is.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Get Torrent Stream Controller & Ace Streams.

Just wondering where you install these from? I have tried and it is adding in 1mobile market. Then it sits there saying it is downloading but doesn't do anything. It is now downloading Torrent Stream Controller for 2 days:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Just wondering where you install these from? I have tried and it is adding in 1mobile market. Then it sits there saying it is downloading but doesn't do anything. It is now downloading Torrent Stream Controller for 2 days:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I have them
    they're just regular apps from the play store afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

Torrent Stream was removed from the playstore recently I think. Its available on Aptoide
    http://m.aptoide.com/installer?lang=EN

It will then download Ace Stream for you once you install and run it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Don't think torrent stream is on google play anymore, recently tried to update it but 'not found on google'. Found combined update of torrent stream & ace controller online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I got a android box sent from China. It arrived yesterday . It was meant to come fully loaded but it didn't. It only came with XbMC.

Where would the best place be to get all the add on's etc ? I'm a totally newbie to all this so wouldn't have a clue .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bigron2109 wrote: »
    I got a android box sent from China. It arrived yesterday . It was meant to come fully loaded but it didn't. It only came with XbMC.

Where would the best place be to get all the add on's etc ? I'm a totally newbie to all this so wouldn't have a clue .

Loads of guides on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

Search how to install hub wizard on YouTube,don't want to put any links up in case it's not allowed.
    It's very straightforward, I did it on my phone last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

what kinda box did u get,how long did it take to deliver from china and did u get get caught for customs.just asking cos thinking of ordering from china

• Advertisement

just been on geekbuying,com,there having a sale if anyones interested,not sure if there the best deals
    http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/anniversary_tv_box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

just been on geekbuying,com,there having a sale if anyones interested,not sure if there the best deals
    http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/anniversary_tv_box

Bought from them last December. Got hit by customs so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Filmon and Expat TV are another two, IMO, worth installing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Lads if ye keep naming add ons the thread will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nostrils

I find the movies and the tv shows to be very good but when streaming tv it seems to be very poor quality constantly freezing buffering I've tried mashup and Istream but the best seems to be navi-x when it's not down.

Is there any other ones someone could recommend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Lads if ye keep naming add ons the thread will be closed.

Why?

Add ons like Filmon is not illegal - it is available in the Android store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

iba wrote: »
    Why?

Add ons like Filmon is not illegal - it is available in the Android store.

There was a warning on here recently about it. Just because its in the android store doesn't necesseraly mean the uses for the add on are legal.

If ye want to discuss add ons ye should start a separate thread, as this is for discussing different android boxes. And its unfair on those interested in the boxes to have a very informative thread locked!

do the tv sticks still need a heatsink fitted?

I presume the boxes don't?

I want to buy another one but I don't want the hassle this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Can some one recommend a good remote/Keyboard for a Android Box please?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

So I'm looking at the Minix x8 to use for watching tv (UK FTA) etc.. In lieu of UPC/SKY stations I'm thinking it will save me on my tv subscription bills.

As well as for general streaming movies & series etc.. (Using add ons etc..) Along with general internet browsing as I think these android boxes are more open source then a standard smart tv..

I'm presuming its possible to watch tv shows from streaming link website. Do these boxes support flash?

I'm a noob to android so appreciate any tips or pointers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

do the tv sticks still need a heatsink fitted?

I presume the boxes don't?

I want to buy another one but I don't want the hassle this time

No, that was the Prometheus? That was Tronsmart/Geekbuying.. :( - Great box, cráp support/sales
    EDIT - Back then. Apparently a dedicated European Support team has been added.. Time will tell.
    Did you get the MX2 with a remote? Then, you may want (best anyway) Logitech K400 (You may find it cheaper than that elsewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

An Cigire wrote: »
    So I'm looking at the Minix x8 to use for watching tv (UK FTA) etc.. In lieu of UPC/SKY stations I'm thinking it will save me on my tv subscription bills.

It's achievable in theory but it still isn't a substitute for conventional TV with EPG and recording function etc. I tried it for a week and it cracked me up. The delay and hassle switching stations is just too much of a pain in the ar$e. Nothing (as far as I know) allows you to channel surf like a real TV service.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I got one on eBay. Find it excellent & easy to use. m.ebay.ie/itm/161245911956?txnId=1083331125006

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

Got an mx2 last night,it was a toss up between that and the MINIX 7 but I went with the cheaper option having read good reviews.
    Didn't get much of a chance to play around with it yet but so far so good..

Allyall wrote: »
    No, that was the Prometheus? That was Tronsmart/Geekbuying.. :( - Great box, cráp support/sales

the new quad core sticks allyall?
    are they ok out of the box the box without a heatsink

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

the new quad core sticks allyall?
    are they ok out of the box the box without a heatsink

I haven't heard of any other boxes that have heatsink problems in a good while.
    The sticks however are more problematic because of their size. But afaik all the new ones have a decent heatsink and case on them. Is there one in particular you're looking at?

I remember there was one stick with a nufront chip, it used to boil up, but it never really affected the playback, but that's fairly old now, Even the really cheap ones have very few overheating problems, although, there are so many available, It's hard to know for sure.

Allyall wrote: »
    I haven't heard of any other boxes that have heatsink problems in a good while.
    The sticks however are more problematic because of their size. But afaik all the new ones have a decent heatsink and case on them. Is there one in particular you're looking at?

I remember there was one stick with a nufront chip, it used to boil up, but it never really affected the playback, but that's fairly old now, Even the really cheap ones have very few overheating problems, although, there are so many available, It's hard to know for sure.

http://www.focalprice.com/EH0398B/MK807IIS_Android_4.2_Quad_Core_RK3188_1.6GHz_ROM_8GB_Mini_HD_Smart_TV_Dongle.html

one of the quad cores like that allyall

but I don't want the hassle of fitting a heatsink this time

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Is watching tv from the like film on tv really that bad?

What's it like to change channels?

Any one any experience with using these devices to watch tv?

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »

Doesn't look bad for the price. Seems to be the same price as the ones you would get in China and wouldn't have to worry bout customs. Do u need a USB port in your TV to use that one as I don't have a USB port in my TV

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement