Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

An Cigire wrote: »
    Is watching tv from the like film on tv really that bad?

What's it like to change channels?

Any one any experience with using these devices to watch tv?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90805313&postcount=653

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Doesn't look bad for the price. Seems to be the same price as the ones you would get in China and wouldn't have to worry bout customs. Do u need a USB port in your TV to use that one as I don't have a USB port in my TV

Plugs into the HD port by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I currently use a nexus 4 and a chromecast along with AllCast to stream and dlna everything and I have a slimport cable for mobdro. I really want the MINIX X8 though and I'm trying to talk myself out of it. Realistically, what benefit will it be to me apart from not having to use the slimport cable?? Please talk me out of buying one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

CinSoots wrote: »
    I currently use a nexus 4 and a chromecast along with AllCast to stream and dlna everything and I have a slimport cable for mobdro. I really want the MINIX X8 though and I'm trying to talk myself out of it. Realistically, what benefit will it be to me apart from not having to use the slimport cable?? Please talk me out of buying one :)

i have all these products , is there any benefit to me in buying a smartphone :)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEVMc0ZQ4UknsM9K0-zD2EeuIT97Ps2KAJcKx0-Nv4eK1_xwLa

a standalone unit that is always connected, has its own power source is an awful lot handier.
    (i've just ordered an minix x8 so please no sensible arguments talking in him out of buying one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

My only advice here is...Buying a box like a Minix or some more of the established boxes/brands has it's benefits over buying unknown/non-reputable cheap sticks/boxes.

The main reason being support,followed by customisation and modded/official Firmware regular updates.

The Minix Neo X8 H is a great box and is only out so expect lots of follow up support and tweaks to perfect it.

Why spend your time buying different cheap and unreliable sticks/boxes when you can spend from a bout €160 - € 130`ish for something solid like the X8 H.That should have a decent lifespan and usage options;)

There's also the Newer build HTPC Route which is more expensive but more superior than (most,probably all current Android boxes,in regards streaming,connectivity and much more.

That's just my opinion,don't take it to heart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bazzz wrote: »
    My only advice here is...Buying a box like a Minix or some more of the established boxes/brands has it's benefits over buying unknown/non-reputable cheap sticks/boxes.

That's just my opinion,don't take it to heart!!

Sorry, but that's not true.. :)

They are all cheap/unknown/non-reputable if you want to call any of them that.

There are some with older hardware, those could be called inferior.
    I have no idea why the minix seems to be so highly regarded so often. I'm putting it down to good marketing.
    The last two minix boxes were far worse than many of the other boxes on the market at the same time. They also had the same hardware as many more. When they launched, they were nowhere near ready to be used as a Media streaming centre.
    It wasn't until the Android community worked on ROMS for (specifically the X7), that it became "good" as a media streamer, fixing many of the issues that came with it (It wasn't "Minix" that fixed any of the problems), and still doesn't have the Dolby licences required for DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio output.
    The Rockchip Processors aren't open source so it was a struggle for many of the developers to get as much out of them as they did.

The AMLogic S802 and Mali 450 have been put into the new Minix X8 as they have in many other devices. It's way too early for anyone to compare any of these devices to each other, or to put any of them up on a pedestal and declare it as the best.
    The same community will be working on many of them, and some companies will pay developers for "Official" custom roms to make them run smoother.

Those ROMS will also work on some of the other devices.

You can buy a box, with pretty much the exact same guts as the Minix X8, on many other Chinese sites (Alibaba/TaoBao etc..) for €40+ cheaper than the Minix.

These will all have custom roms and as they are available for cheaper, my money is on them having more people coming out with custom roms (which isn't always a good thing.) for each of those.
    Either way, many of the roms developed for many boxes will most likely work on many of the others.

http://www.freaktab.com/search.php?searchid=929543

Allyall wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's not true.. :) [/url]

I don't think that's a fair point or even necessary to state.Most of my post is
    just straight forward logic.So I wouldn't call it false.
    They are all cheap/unknown/non-reputable if you want to call any of them that.

[/url]

Well I knew it,straight away that someone would be in with an unnecessary reply to my post:rolleyes:
    As I stated and you quoted "That's my opinion!!".I'm posting from the perspective that lots of people come on here looking for advice on these boxes and are fairly new to the scene.So I'm giving my advice about the better supported products,which is in fact true.
    Also I have not put the X8 H on a pedestal..Just in-case you are referring to me.I did say it's great box just out and will be tweaked to perfect it.

Please don't take offense at this reply,I'm just a bit miffed and felt your "Not True" response was unnecessary.
    For the average person just getting into the smart box scene,I'm sure they want something with well covered support and can turn to many online forums/searches for help..easily.

I wasn't replying to you directly, and I didn't know how else to put it. If I put it sarcastically, it's lost completely, If I am more blunt it just seems like I'm being rude.
    I just see so many posts pointing towards the Minix X8 and I can't see any advantages over the others, especially not for the price.

I had actually written something similar before on an earlier post, and I removed it because of the way I had written it.
    But as you said, many people coming here are looking for advice on what type of box to get, and maybe a better ROM for the box that they already have.
    Most people seem to be pointing toward the x8 for no really good reason other than it's Minix.
    I think everybody should be made more aware of the other boxes with the same/similar hardware for a much cheaper price.

They all have support Ultra HD/Dolby DTS/Bluetooth etc..

I don't think the post was unnecessary, as it's worth mentioning that there are others similar/identical for cheaper.

bazzz wrote: »
    Well I knew it,straight away that someone would be in with an unnecessary reply to my post:rolleyes:
    As I stated and you quoted "That's my opinion!!".I'm posting from the perspective that lots of people come on here looking for advice on these boxes and are fairly new to the scene.So I'm giving my advice about the better supported products,which is in fact true.
    Also I have not put the X8 H on a pedestal..Just in-case you are referring to me.I did say it's great box just out and will be tweaked to perfect it.

Please don't take offense at this reply,I'm just a bit miffed and felt your "Not True" response was unnecessary.
    For the average person just getting into the smart box scene,I'm sure they want something with well covered support and can turn to many online forums/searches for help..easily.

It's fine,like I said I was a bit miffed.But I do understand you are making people aware that there are cheaper alternatives out there to Minix and the others.Also I'm aware of your level of respect and input on the forums.So I'm not looking to have a spec-off knowledge showdown with you:D.I was just stating the almost obvious regarding the better supported boxes(which I still think is true) for the more novice type user.
    Thanx for your reply though.

• Advertisement

I don't think the post was unnecessary, as it's worth mentioning that there are others similar/identical for cheaper.
    But do the generic boxes have the same degree of manufacturer support? I've received a lot of help from the Minix forum including from Minix support on the forum themselves. Such support is always worth a premium over a generic / commodity box. Also, people like brands. Simple as.

Ben

I guess it bugs me a little, when I see two devices most likely made in the same factory (Minix cased somewhere else) and the massive price difference..

I have tried to say nowt.. :)

BenThere wrote: »
    But do the generic boxes have the same degree of manufacturer support? I've received a lot of help from the Minix forum including from Minix support on the forum themselves. Such support is always worth a premium over a generic / commodity box. Also, people like brands. Simple as.

Ben

I get that people like brands, but in this case, there really is little or no difference in these boxes.

Also the support on the Minix forums could be equalled for most Android devices on many other forums, depending on where you go.
    Or you could apply much of the Minix support to a 'generic' box.

Also, that wasn't always the case, much of the Minix early support came from forums like XDA and Freaktab.

Minix, like many others, Saw a product, liked it, Branded it and paid some developers for custom ROMS, put a decent looking case around it, and did some marketing (Paid reviews, Facebook Campaigns etc..).

I'm not knocking any of that. But if the same box (not a 'clone') can be bought for ~ €40 - €50 cheaper, then why not go for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Although there may be very little difference between the hardware in the boxes, the support can vary a lot.

If people think a Minix box is the best/most popular brand,, developers will develop for it making it well supported.
    This feeds back into the brand reputation.

It is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

This may be of use to some of you:

Minix Neo X8 H & Minix Neo M1 - FULL REVIEW (part-1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBq8UvC2Zuw&feature=em-subs_digest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

how do i flash a rom onto a UG007ii in 3 easy steps:)

It's an older stick, so before many of the tools available now, although it's still not very hard, but will be more than 3 steps.

(Same for Imito MX1/MK808B/MK802 and other RK3066 Sticks).

You will need to download the ROM FLASH TOOL, and maybe one or two other tools. Most tools are packed in the zip files with the Custom ROMs.

The README.txt included in the downloads have more detailed instructions.
    Courtesy of Finless Bob on Freaktab and Snakekiller:
    THIS ZIPPED FOLDER has all the tools required in the Zip file. You can swap the ROM for one you think you may prefer, the details are the same.
    1) Remove any SDcard you may have installed.
    2) Connected the supplied USB cable from the device to your PC. It will power up and windows
    may detect the device. DO not worry about that. We need it powered up.
    3) In the ROM kit run the ROM Flash Tool.exe.
    If at the bottom of the flash tool it says "Found RKAndroid Mass storage USB" then proceed to step 4.
    If at the bottom of the tool you see "No found RKAndroid rock usb".
    We need to make changes in settings to turn on USB storage
    Go into Imito settings and click on developer options. Make sure USB debugging is OFF.
    Go into USB settings and turn on USB.
    Note. it should be on already but the box may actually show as not checked.
    Just turn it on and it then should show checked. To make sure turn it off again.
    Windows should bong that it disconnected. Now turn it on again and windows again should bong.

4) Now at the bottom of the PC flash tool you should see "Found RKAndroid Mass Storage Usb".
    If it does NOT say that, then repeat steps 3
    5) Once it says "Found RKAndroid Mass Storage Usb" in the flash tool click the "Reboot to Flash Mode" button.
    6) Wait up to at least 10 seconds. The unit should reboot and the screen for the MX1 will be black (no ouptut).
    7) If the unit does not reboot to a blank screen and into flash mode it maybe stuck.
    In my ROM kit is another folder called alternate_reboot_to_flash_tool
    This is the RKBatch tool. Run this tool and the 1 box should be pink.
    Click the "switch" button at the bottom and this should put it into flash mode.
    Close this RKBtach tool now.

Many here - http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?112-Ugoos-UG802-UG007-etc

KIT KAT AVAILABLE HERE (Probably why you are asking :) )

Possibly same rom here with some comments in the forum - requires registration.

thanks allyall

my tv stick has started going blank screen

it comes back on after a minute and cycles like that

sounds more like hardware fault although I'd been messing with system stuff so not sure

thanks allyall

my tv stick has started going blank screen

it comes back on after a minute and cycles like that

sounds more like hardware fault although I'd been messing with system stuff so not sure

If it is a hardware fault, it could be overheating.
    But If you haven't changed the stock ROM, then it probably is software. I remember all sorts of problems with the software environments for those.

XBMC had the external player and there were all sorts of builds, and fixes and patches etc..
    Blank Screen. Random Rebooting and Boot loops were some of the problems.

The RockChip Batch Tool (v1.7) may come in handy and The Rockchip Drivers if you are having trouble installing the drivers to your PC.
    (Alternate link to Drivers)

Sowebo was modded version of XBMC that still works, but worked well on the RK3066 (I think).

Although, that Kit-Kat ROM may fix most current issues anyway, and could be great. I'd love to dig out a stick from somewhere if I can, and see how it fairs out. :)
    That could work with the MK808B, I'll have to nab it back from my sister and try that out too :).

If it is a hardware fault, it could be overheating.
    But If you haven't changed the stock ROM, then it probably is software. I remember all sorts of problems with the software environments for those.

XBMC had the external player and there were all sorts of builds, and fixes and patches etc..
    Blank Screen. Random Rebooting and Boot loops were some of the problems.

The RockChip Batch Tool (v1.7) may come in handy and The Rockchip Drivers if you are having trouble installing the drivers to your PC.
    (Alternate link to Drivers)

Sowebo was modded version of XBMC that still works, but worked well on the RK3066 (I think).

Although, that Kit-Kat ROM may fix most current issues anyway, and could be great. I'd love to dig out a stick from somewhere if I can, and see how it fairs out. :)
    That could work with the MK808B, I'll have to nab it back from my sister and try that out too :).

http://allminipc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1191

i downloaded the mtk version? is that the right one for this allyall
    http://www.focalprice.com/EH0077B/UG...eo_Player.html

i put all the software into a folder for now until i get a 2nd box

i got the stick back working at a lower res

thanks

http://allminipc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1191
    i downloaded the mtk version? is that the right one for this allyall
    http://www.focalprice.com/EH0077B/UG...eo_Player.html
    i put all the software into a folder for now until i get a 2nd box
    i got the stick back working at a lower res

thanks

Reading the comments, it seems that the Wi-Fi doesn't yet work with that ROM anyway.

But anyway, I think yours is the older version (Not the UG007ii).

You can see HERE the UG007 earlier version has the AP6210 Firmware and the later UG007ii uses the MTK.
    Here is a list of the internal Wi-Fi chipsets.

Before you do anything, does your model have the reset button and 2nd Micro USB slot? If so it's the newer version, and that will make flashing the firmware an awful lot easier - hold it in while powering on to check, and you can just reboot as normal if you want.

I don't know what version FocalPrice sell, but I'm guessing it's the UG007 original version from the pictures, because I can see only one Micro USB port in the pictures, and I can't see a Reset button hole.

Before you flash it, make sure, because it has caused problems for people in the past (Solvable now).

I would probably go for the THIS ROM from Freaktab for that model (There are newer ones, I think version 2.0 may also work for it.) for now.It's a safe bet and a decent Rom.

Here's an ACTIVE LINK to the Rom.

• Advertisement

it's the later version allyall

it's got the reset and micro usb x2

it seems to have been software like you said as she's running perfect on 720p again

she does random reboots when I start poking around xbmc

it's the later version allyall

it's got the reset and micro usb x2

it seems to have been software like you said as she's running perfect on 720p again

she does random reboots when I start poking around xbmc

You could be laughing then. Not that there's anything wrong with the original. Just the newer model makes everything a lot easier.

Also, disregard the previous post about flashing it, just get a micro SD card/USB stick.
    Put the Update.zip (ROM) onto it.
    The UG007 should recognise it as an update and ask you if you want to update.
    If you confirm, the upgrade will begin, and then you can change channel on the TV or make tea or whatever. When it is finished it will reboot normally.

Not sure the KitKat ROM is ready yet, going by the comments, but there are plenty of ROMS that are.
    Also, should be very easy to fix any problems that you may have/encounter, excluding the KitKat Rom for now. :)

http://touchscreen-apps.blogspot.ie/2013/04/mk802iiis-firmwares-gathered-on-one.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Started another thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90851903

But maybe should have just asked people here rather than repeating.

Looks the the new Minix is the way to go?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Not sure how many people here have the K-R42 or one of its Aliases but the 4.4.2 Rom by Wasser on freaktab is outstanding. Everything runs perfectly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i ordered a minix x8h from geekbuying on 6/6/14.
    it hasn't shipped yet. Anyone know how long i'm likely to wait ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Not sure how many people here have the K-R42 or one of its Aliases but the 4.4.2 Rom by Wasser on freaktab is outstanding. Everything runs perfectly on it.

Would it work on T-R42? if so could you PM me details please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

Can you recommend an app to control android stick from my android phone. Had a search but couldn't find anything.

Gest wrote: »
    Can you recommend an app to control android stick from my android phone. Had a search but couldn't find anything.

I tried a load of them without success
    Just gave up eventually
    Yatzee is fine for xbmc only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Would it work on T-R42? if so could you PM me details please

Hey, the link to the thread is below. I think it works on the T-R42. You'll be able to ask on the forum anyway.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8647-UPDATE-K-R42-wasser-firmware-Kikat-Android-4-4-2

• Advertisement

donegal. wrote: »
    i ordered a minix x8h from geekbuying on 6/6/14.
    it hasn't shipped yet. Anyone know how long i'm likely to wait ?

Same here. I got in touch with them and they said the new batch will be received by them and shipped out on June 24th.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement