Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

advertsfox wrote: »
    Purchased an MK808 off Amazon + USB to Ethernet - actually had an MK808B I bought for the auld lad (gave him a Chromecast + Plex instead) but shorted it.

Going to load up XMBC as the login application, use it for DLNA + my paid Sports Streams (all Premiership, La Liga, Champions League ect. in HD).

What's the paid sub? After something like that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

This isn't a plug and I've no clue how good it is, but I've found this site very good for information when setting up xbmc on my raspberry pi.

http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/product/totalxbmc-revolution/

FAQ section about the box
    http://totalxbmc.tv/new-forum/index.php?topic=1541.0

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

advertsfox wrote: »
    Purchased an MK808 off Amazon + USB to Ethernet - actually had an MK808B I bought for the auld lad (gave him a Chromecast + Plex instead) but shorted it.

Going to load up XMBC as the login application, use it for DLNA + my paid Sports Streams (all Premiership, La Liga, Champions League ect. in HD).

How much you paying for the sports sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

How much you paying for the sports sub?
    lhZvgq9.png

This isn't a plug and I've no clue how good it is, but I've found this site very good for information when setting up xbmc on my raspberry pi.

http://www.totalxbmc.tv/newsite/product/totalxbmc-revolution/

FAQ section about the box
    http://totalxbmc.tv/new-forum/index.php?topic=1541.0

Also found this for the total novice like I was last week, learned way too much in a week about XBMC.
    Only wish i was this keen in school.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tag/xbmc/

• Advertisement

VPN question again. Seems the previously suggested one doesn't have a good Linux option.
    As i installed the Linux ROM I now need a recommended VPN for it,paid or free but good.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

dahat wrote: »
    VPN question again. Seems the previously suggested one doesn't have a good Linux option.
    As i installed the Linux ROM I now need a recommended VPN for it,paid or free but good.

Any suggestions?

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/

Don't know about Linux options for any or how much they cost but there's plenty to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Question folks - I'm trying to record live on my android box, but I keep getting the message " the pvr does not support timers" and he won't let me record . I'm running Gotham 13.2 and I am using it through the live TV section . Can any one please advise on how to fix this please .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Question folks - I'm trying to record live on my android box, but I keep getting the message " the pvr does not support timers" and he won't let me record . I'm running Gotham 13.2 and I am using it through the live TV section . Can any one please advise on how to fix this please .

You'd be better with MythTV or TVheadend for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

As Allyall says
    And also, if that. Is vdubtv, I think he said in his videos, that record isn't working yet.

• Advertisement

iba wrote: »
    As Allyall says
    And also, if that. Is vdubtv, I think he said in his videos, that record isn't working yet.

Yep thats the one i am using. So he doesn't have it working yet.

Yep thats the one i am using. So he doesn't have it working yet.

Yeah, I'm nearly sure that is what he said in one of his videos.

You can always ask him on his FB or Youtube page.

I'm not 100%, but I don't think it's possible on IPTVsimple.

Has any one noticed over the past few days that vdubtv25 Live TV Client, keeps lagging while streaming? I have tried it at different times of the day, different stations, Standard Definition and HD and its still the same issue. Have tried other add on's and they all work perfectly. Was working fine up until Friday .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Allyall wrote: »
    You'd be better with MythTV or TVheadend for that.

Do these work with Android boxes like the Minix X8-h? Both say they are designed to run on Linux.

Has any one noticed over the past few days that vdubtv25 Live TV Client, keeps lagging while streaming? I have tried it at different times of the day, different stations, Standard Definition and HD and its still the same issue. Have tried other add on's and they all work perfectly. Was working fine up until Friday .

If you are using IPTVSimple, try searching for "iptvsimple bbts weebly"
    BenEadir wrote: »
    Do these work with Android boxes like the Minix X8-h? Both say they are designed to run on Linux.

You can install linux on a few boxes, not sure if the Minix X8-h is one, but i do remember reading somewhere about a dual boot being developed by someone for that box.

There are a few ports coming out for TVHeadend for Android some are already available, a search around will find different ones, I'm not sure which ones are better than others, trial and error, or other forum recommendations may help.

This covers a lot for MythTV - http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_android.php

You may find this useful also

XMTV Player

Handy for tons of stuff, and used a lot with THIS APP [Requires Adaway or adblock of some sort] (Mods - I thought it'd be okay to link to, as it's in Google Play Store, if not, apologies, and remove it please.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I have just got my second box. I have good wifi, e fiber, I think on speed test with Minix x5 mini it was about 74mbps download. Anyway the second box is an mx2 and I'm wondering which one would function better on the wifi and then to leave the other one with the ethernet connection. Any advice?

I have just got my second box. I have good wifi, e fiber, I think on speed test with Minix x5 mini it was about 74mbps download. Anyway the second box is an mx2 and I'm wondering which one would function better on the wifi and then to leave the other one with the ethernet connection. Any advice?

Download a speedtest app and test Wi-Fi performance on both. You can also get signal strength apps which would also help you decide. Whichever has the best combination of signal strength and speed you use on Wi-Fi.

Guys,

I am thinking of flashing my MK908II with a Finless ROM. I have never done this before. So I found this on the geekbuying website:

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2013/12/05/rom-download-tronsmart-mk908ii-finless-rom-1-5-custom-rom-with-rooted-and-many-other-cool-features/

So is this the right one that I should use?

Also I was looking on youtube for a good video to follow so that I would do it correctly. So if anyone could link a good instruction video that would be appreciated too.

Regards

I'd say this is the newest Finless for that - Finless 1.6 ROM

I haven't used one in a while, but Finless ROMS usually had instructions and tools required inside the zip.

This shows how - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_5toEhgv6w

This should be similar and maybe a better video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLWzL6jod4

• Advertisement

I'd say this is the newest Finless for that - Finless 1.6 ROM

I haven't used one in a while, but Finless ROMS usually had instructions and tools required inside the zip.

This shows how - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_5toEhgv6w

This should be similar and maybe a better video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzLWzL6jod4

Thanks so much Allyall.

Do you just use the stock firmware then on your devices?

Or is there some other ROM other than Finless ROM that should be used?

Thanks

iba wrote: »
    Thanks so much Allyall.

Do you just use the stock firmware then on your devices?

Or is there some other ROM other than Finless ROM that should be used?

Thanks

Yes/No, I have used Finless, and I may again, just haven't in a while.
    I have linux installed on 2.
    I have used a couple of his, and others' custom roms with the Rockchip devices, as they have a few bugs, but find I don't really need them on the Amlogic devices.
    Some find different roms better than others. I mean, a rom I may like, somebody else may not, and vice versa.
    If you go up a level from that thread you'll see a few newer roms for that device, that aren't by Bob, and may or may not suit you better.
    Since Jellybean, I find less need for them, I tend to use a stripped/basic stock, which many of the Chinese suppliers will have.
    Some don't even want their ROMS tampered with... :pac: And it didn't seem to do them any harm. Since that thread started, the price of those boxes has risen.. But people still reporting many bugs.

I guess it depends on what you plan on using it for most. Live (DVB) TV, IPTV, XBMC, Streaming Media, games, etc. and sticking with the one that seems to work best for you.

The new boxes with the large storage, may end up with people porting Linux, and possibly even Windows when applicable... :D Full circle. They're ~ €150 though, so may be handy over a barebones.. :)

Yes/No, I have used Finless, and I may again, just haven't in a while.
    I have linux installed on 2.
    I have used a couple of his, and others' custom roms with the Rockchip devices, as they have a few bugs, but find I don't really need them on the Amlogic devices.
    Some find different roms better than others. I mean, a rom I may like, somebody else may not, and vice versa.
    If you go up a level from that thread you'll see a few newer roms for that device, that aren't by Bob, and may or may not suit you better.
    Since Jellybean, I find less need for them, I tend to use a stripped/basic stock, which many of the Chinese suppliers will have.
    Some don't even want their ROMS tampered with... :pac: And it didn't seem to do them any harm. Since that thread started, the price of those boxes has risen.. But people still reporting many bugs.

I guess it depends on what you plan on using it for most. Live (DVB) TV, IPTV, XBMC, Streaming Media, games, etc. and sticking with the one that seems to work best for you.

The new boxes with the large storage, may end up with people porting Linux, and possibly even Windows when applicable... :D Full circle. They're ~ €150 though, so may be handy over a barebones.. :)

Thanks for that.

Yeah, I see another one there:

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?14688-NEW-MK908II-and-similar-devices-CUSTOM-KITKAT-ROM-by-VECLINUX

What do I use it for. Well mainly livetv - just watched the English match on itv on it (I'm not in Eire atm).

Really I guess I just want to see what it does/look like and have a play

I have a satellite box with Linux on it so maybe in the future I'll try that on the Android too - just to see.

Thanks again.

I have used android and Linux ROM ony box and the Linux was was better,a lot snappier AMD loading better than Android XBMC.

Waiting rather impatiently for the dual boot for the M8 to be relseased.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

hi All

First timer using xbmc with X8 and trying to set up live tv following vdubtv25 youtube tutorial, however when i click to enable live tv in the settings, xbmc freezes and i need to restart the system- i've tried to google it to see how to fix it but not having much luck. I'm using Gothan 13.1.

Any advice appreciated.

XBMC is quite task when starting from a low knowledge base but slowly but surely getting there now

P2P set up with a paid add on and now have Istream and Genesis content in my XBMC library though took a bit to figure out how to add Genesis content.

YouTube tutorials are a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Bulmers wrote: »
    hi All

First timer using xbmc with X8 and trying to set up live tv following vdubtv25 youtube tutorial, however when i click to enable live tv in the settings, xbmc freezes and i need to restart the system- i've tried to google it to see how to fix it but not having much luck. I'm using Gothan 13.1.

Any advice appreciated.

i had this problem too. you need to update the firmware on the minix box. mine works like a dream now.
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-flash-the-beta-firmware-image.116/

donegal. wrote: »
    i had this problem too. you need to update the firmware on the minix box. mine works like a dream now.
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/how-to-flash-the-beta-firmware-image.116/

That looks so complicated for non techies. What happened to automatic OTA updates? That's one of the main reasons I went with Minix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

BenEadir wrote: »
    That looks so complicated for non techies. What happened to automatic OTA updates? That's one of the main reasons I went with Minix :(

i'm not overly techie and the instructions could look a bit daunting at first.
    But each step is clearly explained and surprisingly easy to follow. go for it :)

The ota update is probably about a week away, but this has been the situation for months now.
    god knows when it'll be available, maybe tomorrow , maybe a month away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

tks guys, i'll give that a go this evening, but yes, am finding the xbmc world very confusing and i do work in techie environment but this stuff is not making any sense at the moment, will keep at it though, youtube is a godsend alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement