Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Agreed, those steps are beyond a lot of us.

Minx posted an update on Fireware 002 for X8 and X8-HD yesterday here. They are on Beta 9 with 90-95% of the work done. Sounds like they are close to release. Might be best waiting for the OTA update.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

found a different way to do it just using usb/sd card - seems straightforward enough - http://www.minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

JTMan - so is there a plan by minix to push this firmware out themselves at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Bulmers wrote: »
    found a different way to do it just using usb/sd card - seems straightforward enough - http://www.minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

Seems more manageable, that is if you have a USB keyboard which seems to be a requirement.
    Bulmers wrote: »
    JTMan - so is there a plan by minix to push this firmware out themselves at some point?

Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

bought an mx a while ago and xbmc came already installed and it had a pre-loaded wizard in video add ons but recently it's very hit and miss,a lot of stuff won't come up for me.i've tried force stopping xbmc in settings and clearing data and cache an rebooting but when i load the wizard again it's no better.
    my question is,if i was to uninstall xbmc completely from my box including the pre-installed wizard will i be able to install it again ok?
    if it's risky i'd rather leave well enough alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

ooter wrote: »
    bought an mx a while ago and xbmc came already installed and it had a pre-loaded wizard in video add ons but recently it's very hit and miss,a lot of stuff won't come up for me.i've tried force stopping xbmc in settings and clearing data and cache an rebooting but when i load the wizard again it's no better.
    my question is,if i was to uninstall xbmc completely from my box including the pre-installed wizard will i be able to install it again ok?
    if it's risky i'd rather leave well enough alone..

Where did you get the box?

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Where did you get the box?

Online from androidboxes.
    In fairness to them they've replied to any emails I've sent but since I did what they told me to do xbmc is just not running as well on it.
    I have xbmc on my phone and loads of stuff I watch on that won't come up on the box where at one time it did.

Online from androidboxes.
    In fairness to them they've replied to any emails I've sent but since I did what they told me to do xbmc is just not running as well on it.
    I have xbmc on my phone and loads of stuff I watch on that won't come up on the box where at one time it did.

Have you looked for firmware online? I got firmware for my M8 online and it is flying since.

Wouldn't be that too clued up on them to be honest but thanks for the reply.

Putting an update on is pretty straightforward, YouTube it if you find an update.
    Google MX update and there is a video showing how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

if you only want xbmc google openelec mx2.it's so much better than android.my mx2 flys along

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

massy086 wrote: »
    if you only want xbmc google openelec mx2.it's so much better than android.my mx2 flys along

How is it better?
    My Mx8 flies along too, was cheap and uses shag all power.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CBarkley

I got a X8-H as a present last week and I am fairly lost as to how to set it up.I have looked through this thread and have a few questions.
    I have it connected to my tv and modem now and switched on.
    It came with XBMC for minix loaded on it.
    Is the first thing I need to do is update the firmware?Can this be done through the box or to I need to put files onto a usb stick etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

CBarkley wrote: »
    I got a X8-H as a present last week and I am fairly lost as to how to set it up.I have looked through this thread and have a few questions.
    Is the first thing I need to do is update the firmware?Can this be done through the box or to I need to put files onto a usb stick etc ?

If you are a complete newbie I wouldn't worry about trying to update the firmware. XBMC will possibly be the main app you use (if watching movies and TV etc is your goal) so these two sites will give you all the guidance you need http://www.tvaddons.ag and http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Quick_Start_Guide. You will also get a lot of useful tutorials on YouTube. vdubt25 on YouTube has a lot of followers here see https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL-xIzlYf4uCT5pT-8-nAZw

cheers.
    TV/Movies are probably all I will use this for.
    TBH if it wasn't bought for me I probably wouldn't be bothered.Now that I have one I will give it a go.
    I will load up xbmc so and see how I get on,can that koditime/aidymatic app be used to set up xbmc?I see it mentioned in a lot of posts a few pages back?

This may be a stupid question but what else can this box be used for?

CBarkley wrote: »

Box is crap, you need to give it to me!

@BenEadir

Thanks for the advice.I followed the instructions on tvaddons and have got that working now.I will try and add some more content from the video tutorials.

What are the best addons to use for sports/tv?

Look for the Pak India add on in the Xunity talk repository. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Got a message on my android box tonight saying "Cache is full". What does that mean and how do i fix it?

Everything seems to be working ok.

Running Gotham 13.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Got a message on my android box tonight saying "Cache is full". What does that mean and how do i fix it?

Everything seems to be working ok.

Running Gotham 13.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0CSWzgWfBE

You should also do this if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kMgBZF6J8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi I think I need to enable/modify cache, as I get slow buffering

Hi I have a question on the caching, will my internal HDD eventually fill up if I enable cache per the 2nd video,

am I better off caching to SD, or is this a bad idea, because the read / write of the sd will be slower than the external hdd (using minix x8)

One final question, Once you set up caching above in xbmc , do you need to set up caching in addons (mash up etc) as well

Thanks for all the advice , on this thread, very informative

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Slightly off topic but related. Has anybody got any experience / good links for setting up a headend for IPTV.
    I was thinking of setting mine up at home to give me access to my own setup when I'm out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

dahat wrote: »
    Look for the Pak India add on in the Xunity talk repository. Great stuff.

What's that? How do you set it up and what it gets you?

^^ Scrap that, got it works. Not all channels are playing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi I think I need to enable/modify cache, as I get slow buffering

Hi I have a question on the caching, will my internal HDD eventually fill up if I enable cache per the 2nd video,

am I better off caching to SD, or is this a bad idea, because the read / write of the sd will be slower than the external hdd (using minix x8)

One final question, Once you set up caching above in xbmc , do you need to set up caching in addons (mash up etc) as well

Thanks for all the advice , on this thread, very informative

No, Caching is done on your memory as opposed to your HDD,(Ram as opposed to Rom) As far as I'm aware it generally disappears when you clear cache.

Once you set 0 cache, it applies to all addons, its an XBMC thing more so than addons.

Buffering can be caused by 3 things, slow Internet, limited caching and poor streams/many people using the same stream at a time.

I Hope this helps, I'm not that techy, just using XBMC over the past few months and general trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm posting this from another thread as I think it's relevant here, particularly to newbies and those of use who are less technically gifted or (as in my case) pure lazy :o

"A version of xbmc is now available from Play. It has adds ons etc already configured. It's called TVMC http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-android/" - Posted by Whimsical, see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92605277&postcount=7241

Can this be used as a base for adding IPTV and iStream etc?

Best of both worlds?

^^ I have the windows version installed on my laptop. Works fine. May give it a try on the android box.

http://www.tvaddons.ag/install-kodi-windows/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

No, Caching is done on your memory as opposed to your HDD,(Ram as opposed to Rom) As far as I'm aware it generally disappears when you clear cache.

Once you set 0 cache, it applies to all addons, its an XBMC thing more so than addons.

Buffering can be caused by 3 things, slow Internet, limited caching and poor streams/many people using the same stream at a time.

I Hope this helps, I'm not that techy, just using XBMC over the past few months and general trial and error.

I'm having the same problem - sometimes when I am watching back movies or tv shows, I get a lot of buffering and a little box pops up in the right hand corner saying "cache full cannot buffer fully for uninterupted play" (or something along those lines).

I had tried setting the cache to 0 (as you mention in your post) but I find that if I do that, I cannot watch anything in the p2p streams add on for more than a couple of minutes as it just freezes for ages and then just drops. It's happened with various streams on various days so it's not just a bad stream.

Do you know any way around this, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Are alixpress ok to deal with? Think I go with the first one you linked

Did you use this company? How did it work out for you? Wondering whether to try either there or Amazon or eBay....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ I have the windows version installed on my laptop. Works fine. May give it a try on the android box.

http://www.tvaddons.ag/install-kodi-windows/

Hi Coldfire, would you have the exe or win version please , the link above no longer works, would love to try it on my win machine

The link above brings me to
    http://kodi.tv/download/
    which I think is different

Thanks

• Advertisement

Flashed Linux toy M8 but want to get android back on it but it seems I have lost root somewhere along the line flashing in and out of linux.

Keep getting signature verification error.footer is wrong when trying to flash Finless 1.7 or similar ROM.

I can get the M8 shining star ROM on and that's it but it seems to be stock by the look of it.

I need help!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement