Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

coco1981 wrote: »
    hi there, have been looking at this thread and am thinking of buying a box for myself. i have a low end hp 625 laptop with windows 7 that i use for xbmc, watching sports streams from s****s d***l (am i allowed name the addon??)

apart from the box being a dedicated streaming device is there any other benifits performance wise? if anyone can recommend an xbmc for dummies guide cos a lot of the terminology goes over me tbh:eek:

This is more of an instructional guide but it may be of help.
    https://seo-michael.co.uk/tag/xbmc/

Another read but oldish article.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/xbmc-full-html/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

coco1981 wrote: »
    hi there, have been looking at this thread and am thinking of buying a box for myself. i have a low end hp 625 laptop with windows 7 that i use for xbmc, watching sports streams from s****s d***l (am i allowed name the addon??)

apart from the box being a dedicated streaming device is there any other benifits performance wise? if anyone can recommend an xbmc for dummies guide cos a lot of the terminology goes over me tbh:eek:

Google vdubt25 he covers everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kmrm

Will any wireless keyboard and mouse for android box work with the MXlll M82?

Currently looking at Rll l8 on amazon? Anyone using this with their box?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

branners69 wrote: »
    What do you use to cast?

Sorry for the late reply,I have miracast on the box and just cast from my phone to it,the option is in display settings on the phone.Miracast pairs with the phone and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

My two MXIII boxes ordered from Gearbest have finally landed in Dublin. Ordered exactly 4 weeks ago, took 1 week to ship. Hopefully customs don't take too long with it and don't charge me their extortionate fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

My M8C S812 is now in customs so took nearly four weeks with NL Post and got stung for €20 customs charges!

Should be delivered to me on Wednesday they say, it has been in customs for about a week now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just wondering has anyone tried the finless ROM for the Minix?

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?13977-Finless-1-0-ROM-for-the-Minix-X8

DubDJ wrote: »
    My two MXIII boxes ordered from Gearbest have finally landed in Dublin. Ordered exactly 4 weeks ago, took 1 week to ship. Hopefully customs don't take too long with it and don't charge me their extortionate fees.

Seems to be the same in regards to shipping with most of these companies. I bought something from geekbuying and only getting shipped today after ordered last week....I guess they just bring in stock once you place order, so dont keep stock in house

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I just ordered this, I hope its a good box and works well...

M8 Quad Core Android 4.4 Kitkat 4k 5G Wifi TV Smart Box XBMC Gotham UK/EU Power

I just ordered this, I hope its a good box and works well...

M8 Quad Core Android 4.4 Kitkat 4k 5G Wifi TV Smart Box XBMC Gotham UK/EU Power

Link?

• Advertisement

here you go, replace DOT with ".", e.g. a fullstop :)

wwwDOTebayDOTcoDOTuk/itm/M8-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-Kitkat-4k-5G-Wifi-TV-Smart-Box-XBMC-Gotham-UK-EU-Power-/380980107977?

here you go, replace DOT with ".", e.g. a fullstop :)

wwwDOTebayDOTcoDOTuk/itm/M8-Quad-Core-Android-4-4-Kitkat-4k-5G-Wifi-TV-Smart-Box-XBMC-Gotham-UK-EU-Power-/380980107977?

Nice box, Quad core CPU and Octo core GPU. 2GB of cache. Similar spec to the Minix X8-h.

Think there is a few people on here with similar boxes.

Thats good to hear. Its all new to me and just looking to add a bit more to the UPC TV (in)experience. I hope it works well with our wifi and doesnt buffer too much.

Thats good to hear. Its all new to me and just looking to add a bit more to the UPC TV (in)experience. I hope it works well with our wifi and doesnt buffer too much.

M8 and WiFi.....bad mix. You should go Ethernet route always with m8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dahat wrote: »

Ya. I got rid of it for that very reason.

Going to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the sitting room over Christmas holidays. And get one of the Ethernet splitter boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Seems to be the same in regards to shipping with most of these companies. I bought something from geekbuying and only getting shipped today after ordered last week....I guess they just bring in stock once you place order, so dont keep stock in house

I bought off shiningworth on the 13th, got NL tracking code this morning, but I suppose as they're the manufacturer, it's slightly different.

Invincible wrote: »
    I bought off shiningworth on the 13th, got NL tracking code this morning, but I suppose as they're the manufacturer, it's slightly different.

What you buy? just because I am pure nosey!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

I have one of these boxes for about 6 months and it's a great box. I have it on WIFI also and it streams everything and anything with no problems. I do have it sitting beside the UPC router so that does help. I did have it wired but i need the wire for something else now!! Once its near the router then it should have no problems streaming.

Another note too - dont bother wasting your time flashing other ROMs to the box either. I tried various different ROM's and XBMC versions and they all have faults, issues and various other nuances that are annoying. I have reverted back to the stock ROM that came with it and use a tile launcher for the home page. I dont use XBMC anymore either, it's jut too cluncky and unstable so it can be very annoying. I now use Plex as my media server and then various play store/sideloaded apps for tv, sport, movies etc (google is your friends here). It's 100 times more reliable now and I never have any problems with it anymore.

I would say in the 6 months i have it, it has probably locked up twice and a simple reboot fixed it both times.

You will need to buy an air mouse also though as the one that comes with it is rubbish. I have a Mele F10 and after some issues with other ROM's once I loaded back the stock ROM it works very well.

CinSoots wrote: »
    I have one of these boxes for about 6 months and it's a great box. I have it on WIFI also and it streams everything and anything with no problems. I do have it sitting beside the UPC router so that does help. I did have it wired but i need the wire for something else now!! Once its near the router then it should have no problems streaming.

Another note too - dont bother wasting your time flashing other ROMs to the box either. I tried various different ROM's and XBMC versions and they all have faults, issues and various other nuances that are annoying. I have reverted back to the stock ROM that came with it and use a tile launcher for the home page. I dont use XBMC anymore either, it's jut too cluncky and unstable so it can be very annoying. I now use Plex as my media server and then various play store/sideloaded apps for tv, sport, movies etc (google is your friends here). It's 100 times more reliable now and I never have any problems with it anymore.

I would say in the 6 months i have it, it has probably locked up twice and a simple reboot fixed it both times.

You will need to buy an air mouse also though as the one that comes with it is rubbish. I have a Mele F10 and after some issues with other ROM's once I loaded back the stock ROM it works very well.

Thanks for info, the M8 seems to be one of the boxes for OpenELEC/Linux, did you try that build?

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »
    What you buy? just because I am pure nosey!! :P

Bought a M8S S812 2GB, $67, has H.265 decoding and 4K, including post it came to $85 with NL. :)

Thanks CinSoots, nice feedback. I dont understand much of it (2nd para) but if I have any issues it will be a chance to learn :)

Any codes for Alliexpress?

Looking to get a new box but postage is €35, shocking.

Only people that seem to do codes is Gearbest. I havent ever seen code for Aliexpress or Geekbuying or any of them....

That's very expensive, message them and suggest NL could be an option to gain your business, should knock it back to €20.
    What you getting? :-)

Invincible wrote: »
    That's very expensive, message them and suggest NL could be an option to gain your business, should knock it back to €20.
    What you getting? :-)

Can't link as on mobile but its $52 with free snail shipping.
    http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32222276923.html?productId=32222276923&productSubject=Android-4-4-Smart-TV-Box-Mali-450-GPU-1G-8G-Bluetooth4-0-Media-Player-Set&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Ah got it linked. The reviewer is an Istream playlist maker. Just as a second box really.

Can't link as on mobile but its $52 with free snail shipping.
    http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32222276923.html?productId=32222276923&productSubject=Android-4-4-Smart-TV-Box-Mali-450-GPU-1G-8G-Bluetooth4-0-Media-Player-Set&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

Ah got it linked. The reviewer is an Istream playlist maker. Just as a second box really.

Might be worth looking at the following:

Link: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_80704.html
    Coupon: MXQBLG, which will bring the price to €37.18.

Guy in Gearbest who helped me with a couple of orders keeps sending me codes, he must think I am loaded :eek: probably sending them because I end up buying them half the time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

MXiii that I ordered for my brother arrived today from Gearbest but got stung for €18.58 for my order by Customs.

Pretty sure that's the first order I've ever had that I've ended up paying the import taxes on!

Ah well, hopefully the device is worth it!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement