Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

MXiii that I ordered for my brother arrived today from Gearbest but got stung for €18.58 for my order by Customs.

Pretty sure that's the first order I've ever had that I've ended up paying the import taxes on!

Ah well, hopefully the device is worth it!

Ouch.

Will you give me feedback on the unit, have one on the way.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Might be worth looking at the following:

Link: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_80704.html
    Coupon: MXQBLG, which will bring the price to €37.18.

Guy in Gearbest who helped me with a couple of orders keeps sending me codes, he must think I am loaded :eek: probably sending them because I end up buying them half the time :P

Now that's cheap.

Have you used one of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dahat wrote: »
    Now that's cheap.

Have you used one of these?

I bought one and have it at home. I wanted it to run OpenELEC on it. I got it delivered via DHL as wanted for Xmas and not sure how but I missed customs...:D:D so only cost me €45 or so with DHL delivery

Its still in box, haven't even opened it. Codesnake is developing a version of OpenELEC for it so was waiting for that to come out...

Might get a chance tonight to fire it up if you want and see how it goes....

Thread here on OpenELEC development: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?18603-ROM-OpenELEC-for-Amlogic-based-TV-boxes-%28M8-MXQ-TV110-MX2-G18%29&highlight=openelec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Mmmmm...that's looks decent.

Yeah, does not seem to be too bad.

I have a couple of Ferguson sat. receivers that are pretty cheap and work a treat.

MXiii that I ordered for my brother arrived today from Gearbest but got stung for €18.58 for my order by Customs.

Pretty sure that's the first order I've ever had that I've ended up paying the import taxes on!

Ah well, hopefully the device is worth it!

Seems high, was that via DHL or slow post?

• Advertisement

I bought one and have it at home. I wanted it to run OpenELEC on it. I got it delivered via DHL as wanted for Xmas and not sure how but I missed customs...:D:D so only cost me €45 or so with DHL delivery

Its still in box, haven't even opened it. Codesnake is developing a version of OpenELEC for it so was waiting for that to come out...

Might get a chance tonight to fire it up if you want and see how it goes....

Thread here on OpenELEC development: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?18603-ROM-OpenELEC-for-Amlogic-based-TV-boxes-%28M8-MXQ-TV110-MX2-G18%29&highlight=openelec

If you could, just a basic XBMC test if you can. Try running Big Buck Bunny and see how that goes.

If you could, just a basic XBMC test if you can. Try running Big Buck Bunny and see how that goes.

Never in my life heard of Big Buck Bunny:eek::eek::eek:

What is it? maybe PM me where to find.....

Will fire it up and run wizard for TV Add On's and check it out.....

Never in my life heard of Big Buck Bunny:eek::eek::eek:

What is it? maybe PM me where to find.....

Will fire it up and run wizard for TV Add On's and check it out.....

Its an add on I was told to run to check the firmware/ROM on a box. At work so can't remember where to get it but I'm sure it won't hard to find.

Edit.
    It is a film which is a good video standard for many formats. Think it's on Metal Kettles repo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Seems high, was that via DHL or slow post?

Was via DHL who charge a tenner admin fee when stopped by customs. Bit of a joke but wanted it for Christmas day so had to go with the speedy delivery.

Its an add on I was told to run to check the firmware/ROM on a box. At work so can't remember where to get it but I'm sure it won't hard to find.

Edit.
    It is a film which is a good video standard for many formats. Think it's on Metal Kettles repo.

Couldnt find this, any link to how I can add it? Please PM

Tried out box, only quickly as got stuck in traffic half the night. Box in terms of hardware seems ok. The software I am not so sure. Took down the firmware levels and need to have a look around. I think it might need a flash. I had seen a firmware online for it a few days back so I must check if that is available.

I never had looked on these boxes before but the media launcher that comes with it seems to eat up memory.

I got XBMC installed. No issues....but didn't seem to want to open up anything, again I only got a few mins. Will have a better try and will fire up a few pics tomorrow morning,......

• Advertisement

Couldnt find this, any link to how I can add it? Please PM

Tried out box, only quickly as got stuck in traffic half the night. Box in terms of hardware seems ok. The software I am not so sure. Took down the firmware levels and need to have a look around. I think it might need a flash. I had seen a firmware online for it a few days back so I must check if that is available.

I never had looked on these boxes before but the media launcher that comes with it seems to eat up memory.

I got XBMC installed. No issues....but didn't seem to want to open up anything, again I only got a few mins. Will have a better try and will fire up a few pics tomorrow morning,......

Good stuff,thanks.
    The other box I linked works out of the box with no need for flashing according to the guy I spoke ( tweeted) with. A no hassle box is what I'm after for this purchase really.

Will sort out the big buck bunny later when I get home from work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

About to pull the trigger on an MX3 running open elec Linux and an air mouse.

This MX has a physical power button on the top.

About to pull the trigger on an MX3 running open elec Linux and an air mouse.

This MX has a physical power button on the top.

Where you see that?

Where you see that?

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Where you see that?

Just waiting for seller to message me back to see if they can put Linux on it!

Good stuff,thanks.
    The other box I linked works out of the box with no need for flashing according to the guy I spoke ( tweeted) with. A no hassle box is what I'm after for this purchase really.

Will sort out the big buck bunny later when I get home from work.

Would of tested it better if I knew you where buying this urgent, will give it a proper review tomor when I get a chance, checked some reviews on freaktab etc and they all said firmware is stable so might have been something I done wrong

Found a code for the 2gb MXIII, €55. M8L2M

I'm going to buy it at that price tomorrow.

Found a code for the 2gb MXIII, €55. M8L2M

I'm going to buy it at that price tomorrow.

Nice box and good price, going to try and get this one firing on all cylinders before I buy another

There is a Linux version for that box

Well I do have another box on slow boat but that doesn't count :-)

Nice box and good price, going to try and get this one firing on all cylinders before I buy another

There is a Linux version for that box

Well I do have another box on slow boat but that doesn't count :-)

I have the 1gb on the slow boat for a mate but this one I will get for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

does anyone know where to buy these within Ireland, preferably Dublin?

Any stores or Irish websites ell them?

Would like to pick one up the weekend if possible, obviously anything that has to be posted from outside Ireland has little to no chance of reaching me before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Would like to pick one up the weekend if possible, obviously anything that has to be posted from outside Ireland has little to no chance of reaching me before Christmas.

You can get them on adverts.ie for a small premium but guaranteed delivery before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

cool thanks, i'll check there, has anyone bought anything from smarttvbox.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

On my ouya i'm running 2 versions of xbmc/ kodi side by side no problems. i'd recommend an ouya and it's much cheaper these days.

Satbox.ie, a good seller with bricks n mortar shop. A few friends less knowledgeable have gone to him and have found him very good.

varuka wrote: »
    On my ouya i'm running 2 versions of xbmc/ kodi side by side no problems. i'd recommend an ouya and it's much cheaper these days.

I was going to buy one of these ages ago, just to use the gaming element as well. I seen on bargains there is a thread going. Is it decent for video playback>?

So bought the 2gb MXIII for less than I paid fory mates 1gb, decent.

Hopefully escapes customs as €59 is a decent price

Was wondering is there any remote desktop type application for android boxes that would allow you to take over them to set up and change setting in XBMC etc? Going to put a couple of boxes into family houses but they are all down the country, I know they will be messing and break them so just lookign for easy way to go in and fix without going up and down the road on a weekly basis

Does anybody use anything>

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

I have bought from smarttvbox and can recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Was wondering is there any remote desktop type application for android boxes that would allow you to take over them to set up and change setting in XBMC etc? Going to put a couple of boxes into family houses but they are all down the country, I know they will be messing and break them so just lookign for easy way to go in and fix without going up and down the road on a weekly basis

Does anybody use anything>

You can use TeamViewer I believe but not sure if you have to buy a license or not, for home use I believe it used to be free:
    http://www.teamviewer.com/en/products/mobile-device-support.aspx

• Advertisement

Anyone getting a bit pi**ed with minix yet? I bought the X8-H about 6 months ago to find the firmware out of the box was s**t. Luckily I had done firmware upgrades before so I ran the recommended firmware update. After this still had issues and was told there was no base level firmware. Everything was in Beta. This was for a €140 device. So I waited. Was told the Official firmware would be released. Then got another Beta version. So updated to this and still issue.....again the official firmware would be released. So another firmware was released. This was in Beta as well so I updated to this. Again some small problems but kept holding on for Official firmware.

SO got the official firmware a few weeks back. Wiped the box AGAIN and updated the firmware. This was of course on the promise that the OTA upgrades would work after this firmware so no need anymore to wipe the box. Now just checked the Minix firmware. New release of firmware. Can I use OTA?? no chance. Some bulls**t about there server is been attacked so need to flash the firmware again and this will fix the problem and OTA will work from now on.

Sounds like a crock of sh*t to me.

Luckily for me I have flashed firmware before and had no problems doing it but for the people that have no idea I think this is very poor. Why put a box out to the market with a sh*t firmware and no idea when you can actually release a firmware that will work properly. The 50 quid cheap boxes I buy seem to have more stable firmware. I think it is very poor and when you ask a question on the forums they just reply with snotty answers....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement