Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Has anyone experience of using one of these with an Android box?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301409978908

I have similar, the Logitech K400 which cost €40 and the Measly RC12 which cost €15 form China.

Both do a great job but I'm using the RC12 a lot more now, only downfall is they aren't backlight.

dahat wrote: »
    Mine is at Dublin 12 Mail Centre.

Sent to Customs. Feck em. ..

What kind of bill shall I get now? €20 or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

On the Factory Reset part, interesting idea.

Has anything go aray from doing that on each new box?
    Did you read something that encouraged you to do this as a rule?

Not read anything to be honest, it is just from experience. From what I can see they must test these boxes before shipping out and have put in some settings, as soon as I turn them on I will do a factory reset and then start building.

Like the MXQ box as mentioned it seemed to be a bit off if you know what I mean when setting it up....once I reset to default and started again it ran alot better

The MXIII 1GB box I bought and shipped with DHL cost me 16 euro....but that was a 10 euro DHL handling fee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

23% on the original price plus €7 Handling charge. My box was under €52 and got charged €18.90.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    23% on the original price plus €7 Handling charge. My box was under €52 and got charged €18.90.

Same as I pain then. Will get the bucks ready.

My first ever Customs stoppage.

Same as I pain then. Will get the bucks ready.

My first ever Customs stoppage.

You might be lucky, my first box was valued by customs as $20:D

Big Nelly wrote: »

They sent me a letter for proof of purchase because the value wasn't declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

And you didn't photoshop it to a smaller number first? :D

Mickalus wrote: »
    And you didn't photoshop it to a smaller number first? :D

I was tempted to but didn't want the hassle.

• Advertisement

Hopefully so,still haven't heard anything by phone or email.
    The wait goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Mine is at Dublin 12 Mail Centre.

If you put your NL tracking number in anposts search you'll get a quicker update if customs have it or not. Still waiting for the letter from them myself in the hope there's a big backlog and they push it through.

I went to backup the box I currently have here and it appears it was shipped with xbmc 13.2 on it, I also found a "droidwizard" zip on a usb stick from my mx2, flashed it in xbmc and bobs your granny its now filled with what I was after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kmrm

How long did take for parcel to arrive once customs had it?

kmrm wrote: »
    How long did take for parcel to arrive once customs had it?

I'll let you know when it arrives :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Activity Date
    ON ROUTE TO CUSTOMER DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE
    DUBLIN 12 18-Dec-14
    17:14
    DUBLIN 12 18-Dec-14
    ITEM SENT TO CUSTOMS DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE
    DUBLIN 12 17-Dec-14
    10:09
    ITEM RECEIVED DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE
    DUBLIN 12 17-Dec-14
    07:26

"sent to customs" , am i going to have to pony up more cash ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

donegal. wrote: »
    Activity Date
    DUBLIN 12 18-Dec-14
    DUBLIN 12 18-Dec-14
    DUBLIN 12 17-Dec-14
    DUBLIN 12 17-Dec-14

Ya. 23% of purchase price and 7 euro an post "Admin Fee".

Yes indeed, get the cash ready though I'm unaware how you pay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Invincible

Yes indeed, get the cash ready though I'm unaware how you pay etc.

I've heard of postman collecting it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Invincible wrote: »

Yea, I got caught for duty on a Chinese phone & had to give the money to the postman!

Invincible wrote: »

Laughed out loud at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eventually got to set this up http://www.tinydeal.com/tronfy-m8c-amlogic-s812-quad-core-18gb-android-44-4k-tv-box-p-140750.html

It's for a mate of mine who's giving it as a pressie,great piece of kit,handled 1080p streaming without a bother.
    The menu layout is a bit windows 8 compared to the usual android menu but it's easy to navigate.

I see now that tinydeal have the 2gb ram version for around the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

zerks wrote: »
    Eventually got to set this up http://www.tinydeal.com/tronfy-m8c-amlogic-s812-quad-core-18gb-android-44-4k-tv-box-p-140750.html

It's for a mate of mine who's giving it as a pressie,great piece of kit,handled 1080p streaming without a bother.
    The menu layout is a bit windows 8 compared to the usual android menu but it's easy to navigate.

I see now that tinydeal have the 2gb ram version for around the same price.

I just got my M8C yesterday as well but I am a bit disappointed with it to be honest.

I was hoping that this box would replace my ageing hacked AppleTV 2 and integrate into my Home Theatre Setup to give more options but it does not seem that this is ready for that type of setup yet.

I also bought a Flirc in order to fully control the Android M8C with my Logitech Harmony IR remote as this also controls all the rest of the setup but even with the Flirc inserted and mapped to the Harmony IR buttons you cannot use Apps like Netflix or YouTube without an Airmouse!

In the Netflix app you cannot actually select a Title using the IR remote! That is really frustrating...

The IR remote works in XBMC fine but any apps outside XBMC are not ready for IR only selection!

My Amazon FireTV Stick for the Kids TV knocks this out of the water for ease of use and incorporation into an existing HT setup! The Netflix and YouTube app on the FireTV are made for use with a remote...

I am thinking now of selling this M8C and buying the full Amazon Fire TV instead, it is just a pity it is so locked down by Amazon otherwise it would be perfect...

Also another thing I noticed is the Play Store is not setup properly on the M8C, you cannot get basic apps like Dropbox, Netflix etc. from it directly as it says your device is not compatible so I have had to sideload all the apps!
    But will grab Market Helper later and use that to change what the device is reporting to Google Play.

Pretty disappointing really....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

reni10 wrote: »
    I just got my M8C yesterday as well but I am a bit disappointed with it to be honest.

I was hoping that this box would replace my ageing hacked AppleTV 2 and integrate into my Home Theatre Setup to give more options but it does not seem that this is ready for that type of setup yet.

I also bought a Flirc in order to fully control the Android M8C with my Logitech Harmony IR remote as this also controls all the rest of the setup but even with the Flirc inserted and mapped to the Harmony IR buttons you cannot use Apps like Netflix or YouTube without an Airmouse!

In the Netflix app you cannot actually select a Title using the IR remote! That is really frustrating...

The IR remote works in XBMC fine but any apps outside XBMC are not ready for IR only selection!

My Amazon FireTV Stick for the Kids TV knocks this out of the water for ease of use and incorporation into an existing HT setup! The Netflix and YouTube app on the FireTV are made for use with a remote...

I am thinking now of selling this M8C and buying the full Amazon Fire TV instead, it is just a pity it is so locked down by Amazon otherwise it would be perfect...

Also another thing I noticed is the Play Store is not setup properly on the M8C, you cannot get basic apps like Dropbox, Netflix etc. from it directly as it says your device is not compatible so I have had to sideload all the apps!
    But will grab Market Helper later and use that to change what the device is reporting to Google Play.

Any chance you want to sell the flirc.i got let down on one i need for a htpc.or is there anyone looking to sell a flirc

How much you looking for the M8C? do you have a link to the one you bought?

How much you looking for the M8C? do you have a link to the one you bought?

This is the exact one I bought:
    http://www.tinydeal.com/tronfy-m8c-amlogic-s812-quad-core-18gb-android-44-4k-tv-box-p-140750.html

Cost nearly €90 including customs fees so would be looking at around €80 I would say.

It has only been in use for 1 day!

I am not selling the Flirc as I will use that on the AFTV.

The M8C is rooted out of the box so it should be easy to flash with what you want.It's not for me so I set up XBMC with all the bells and whistles and will be passing it on.
    Netflix will be redundant on it due to the other stuff.

zerks wrote: »
    The M8C is rooted out of the box so it should be easy to flash with what you want.It's not for me so I set up XBMC with all the bells and whistles and will be passing it on.
    Netflix will be redundant on it due to the other stuff.

It being rooted does not help with the IR Remote control of apps!

These Android TV boxes are not really ready for primetime integration with an existing Home Theatre setup where you have a family using them.

You need all apps to be IR controllable and easy to use and navigate, I thought by getting a Flirc this would be possible but it just seems that the standard Android apps are all expecting a touchscreen and not a remote so wont really work at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

donegal. wrote: »
    Activity Date
    DUBLIN 12 18-Dec-14
    DUBLIN 12 18-Dec-14
    DUBLIN 12 17-Dec-14
    DUBLIN 12 17-Dec-14

just got delivered.
    value on label was $28 (~€28) but customs valued it at €45 so i had to pay the postman €17.35

• Advertisement

It being rooted does not help with the IR Remote control of apps!

These Android TV boxes are not really ready for primetime integration with an existing Home Theatre setup where you have a family using them.

You need all apps to be IR controllable and easy to use and navigate, I thought by getting a Flirc this would be possible but it just seems that the standard Android apps are all expecting a touchscreen and not a remote so wont really work at all...

That's why everybody gets a mouse and wireless keyboard,you are right,the remote is a pain in the hole to use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement