Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Allyall wrote: »
    Did you press the power button after inserting the Power cable, or did you leave it plugged in and power on?
    Also
    Make sure the SD card is flush with the outside of the case, and not slightly inside it.

EDIT
    Also redownload the ROM, just to check that it's not corrupt.

DOUBLE EDIT.
    You got that message before?
    Are you extracting the files onto the SD card, or just copying the zip file over?

Got it with other boxes.

Lokey I just transfered the file over from file manger rather than from Antek where I unzipped it.

Unzip, 3 files, drag each one over individually, is that the correct method?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

dahat wrote: »
    Unzip, 3 files, drag each one over individually, is that the correct method?

You could drag them all over together, but yes, that's correct, once unzipped.
    What version of Windows (if using Windows) are you using?

You could drag them all over together, but yes, that's correct, once unzipped.
    What version of Windows (if using Windows) are you using?

7 home premium but all previous on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Make sure you properly eject the SD card, and that it's formatted to FAT32. You could try a USB key also.

Make sure you properly eject the SD card, and that it's formatted to FAT32. You could try a USB key also.

Might fool around when my one comes but for the 1gb I'm just going to leave 108k4 on it. If it fails on him I'll get it back and do Open Elec.

Edit....

Got Open Elec installed, looks good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just got my MXIII boxes today, took 4 weeks and 5 days altogether. That includes 8 day that it took for them to actually ship. So a little over 3.5 weeks shipping time with NL post.

First time doing this so gonna have a tinker with these and hopefully I don't run into problems. I literally had a quick boot of it just to check it out and it has a colourful cheap style interface. I went into the XBMC app and it was the gothom version. That's all I know so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just got my MXIII boxes today, took 4 weeks and 5 days altogether. That includes 8 day that it took for them to actually ship. So a little over 3.5 weeks shipping time with NL post.

First time doing this so gonna have a tinker with these and hopefully I don't run into problems. I literally had a quick boot of it just to check it out and it has a colourful cheap style interface. I went into the XBMC app and it was the gothom version. That's all I know so far.

Did you get. Caught for customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jimosterberg

Got mine today. 2g version. 60 euro and 17 extra from customs. Seems a lot quicker than the mx2

Got mine today. 2g version. 60 euro and 17 extra from customs. Seems a lot quicker than the mx2

What firmware is on it? Is it 110k4?

Did you get. Caught for customs?

Yep, €51.77 for box and €18.90 in customs charges. It's the 1GB RAM version.

• Advertisement

Don't know to be honest. New enough to these boxes

Don't know to be honest. New enough to these boxes

Settings tab will tell you in the launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Tonight my mxii won't go past green android icon,anyone help on this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

Might fool around when my one comes but for the 1gb I'm just going to leave 108k4 on it. If it fails on him I'll get it back and do Open Elec.

Edit....

Got Open Elec installed, looks good so far.

Is Openelec box specific or possible to install on any box?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

Customs value of €60 which led to €20.80 on my part.

Total cost then is €72.

Do customs just guess the value? How do they arrive at their valuations? My package was not opened and value put at $28 by Gearebest. My2gb version was ordered on 27 November arrived via NL post yesterday. It was valued at €45 by customs and I paid €17.35 tax.

Invincible wrote: »
    Is Openelec box specific or possible to install on any box?

Its only available on certain ones asfaik, there is one for the M8,o know that for sure.

Google Codesnake, he does Open Elec for M8 and others maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

Its only available on certain ones asfaik, there is one for the M8,o know that for sure.

Google Codesnake, he does Open Elec for M8 and others maybe.

Sure there might be a version for M8S, let us know how much better it runs than Android.
    This forum during games of pool is great :-)

So my MXiii came with KitKat installed, also with the XBMC app. I'm guessing they can be rooted and then just install XBMC as the primary OS? Also, what's the difference between XBMC and Openelec? Visually it looks similar, is it just that it's built for Linux?

Been setting up the MXIII with Open Elec this morning. First impressions are really good. Quick across menus with very little lag.

It comes with 14.0 rc3 KODI which requires a fix for Istream from its own maintenance section, easy do and works a treat.

Slight issue is on boot up i need to hit home button on the remote to get to Kodi screen, a minor thing really.

All the popular add ons work well and I imagine a system like Open Elec would be ideal for lower ram boxes. Skin choice is limited so just left it at Conflenuce but when I went to 7 icon menu it caused the keyboard to go blank, reverted to 5 and its perfect now.

Overall very impressed with Open Elec

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kmrm

I paid 18e extra including an post and customs charged. Sticker from China said $28 value but next to it in pen was €60 from customs I assume.

• Advertisement

I went into system info but don't know where to look.

I see you put open elec on yours. Is that tricky to do?

I went into system info but don't know where to look.

I see you put open elec on yours. Is that tricky to do?

Should be written on left hand side.

Had a little wobble installing it but that was my error. If done right it installs as an update through the update app on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Got myself MXIII M82 2gb Model Today.

Got hit with about 18€ duty.

Just trying to get it going is the next step

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

I have been waiting for my mxq box from customs for over week now . I sent them proof of purchase on the Dec 12 and they sent back calculation of customs charge and said expected delivery would be Tuesday Dec 16 and I'm still waiting. Ridiculous. Hopefully comes tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

So my MXiii came with KitKat installed, also with the XBMC app. I'm guessing they can be rooted and then just install XBMC as the primary OS? Also, what's the difference between XBMC and Openelec? Visually it looks similar, is it just that it's built for Linux?

XBMC is not an OS.....you will need to run Android underneath it

On some systems there is a version of OpenELEC you can run. This is instead of Android. XBMC then installs on top of the OS.....

XBMC is an app

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi,

I'm streaming some content via a Genesis add-on on XBMC and I constantly get stoppages to buffer and when the buffering eventually stops it warns that "E Cache Full - cache filled before reaching required amount for continuous streaming"

Anyone any idea what I need to do to expand the size of the cache so I can stream without stoppages?

I have 100MB fibre broadband and the X8-h is connected to the modem by Ethernet cable so there shouldn't be an issue with speed/capacity etc.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm streaming some content via a Genesis add-on on XBMC and I constantly get stoppages to buffer and when the buffering eventually stops it warns that "E Cache Full - cache filled before reaching required amount for continuous streaming"

Anyone any idea what I need to do to expand the size of the cache so I can stream without stoppages?

I have 100MB fibre broadband and the X8-h is connected to the modem by Ethernet cable so there shouldn't be an issue with speed/capacity etc.

Gensis has the option to clear the cache in setting

There is also a tool in programs and system tweaks

DO NOT on the Minix set the cache to Zero....You will need to reload XBMC after you do that, if you google the issue loads of people will say to set the cache to zero. This does not work on Minix.

Which version of XBMC for Minix are you running?

Which version of the firmware are you running?

Big Nelly wrote: »
    XBMC is not an OS.....you will need to run Android underneath it

On some systems there is a version of OpenELEC you can run. This is instead of Android. XBMC then installs on top of the OS.....

XBMC is an app

So openelec is like an OS version of XBMC? So you wouldn't get the android interface when loading up?

I've got a good bit of XBMC setup now myself, a lot of the stuff has since been taken offline it seems. The box itself is perfect, seeks overpowered if anything. Never had any slowdowns at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Which version of XBMC for Minix are you running?

Which version of the firmware are you running?

Thanks BN, you came to the rescue.

I'm trying to watch the last few episodes of XXXX so I'll have to check the version details tomorrow!! Need to get this finished tonight :o

• Advertisement

So openelec is like an OS version of XBMC? So you wouldn't get the android interface when loading up?

I've got a good bit of XBMC setup now myself, a lot of the stuff has since been taken offline it seems. The box itself is perfect, seeks overpowered if anything. Never had any slowdowns at all.

XBMC is an app. Android and OpenELEC are operating systems. OpenELEC is a version of Linux which has been cut down specifically to run XBMC so it supposed to run it smoother.

Really if you are just starting out Android is best place to start. Once you get up and running you will find loads of custom firmwares available for most boxes. Most are based on Android but are again cut down to work specifically with XBMC to get better performance from the box. Your better off getting used to XBMC, getting it set up and working before looking about custom ROM's/Linux etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement