Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Anyone know a cheap alternative to the minix neo m1 air mouse, was setting up my new box today but was a disaster because if the air mouse, only worked for a few minutes, if even so had to use the standard button remote which is even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Big Nelly wrote: »
    XBMC is an app. Android and OpenELEC are operating systems. OpenELEC is a version of Linux which has been cut down specifically to run XBMC so it supposed to run it smoother.

Really if you are just starting out Android is best place to start. Once you get up and running you will find loads of custom firmwares available for most boxes. Most are based on Android but are again cut down to work specifically with XBMC to get better performance from the box. Your better off getting used to XBMC, getting it set up and working before looking about custom ROM's/Linux etc

Yeah I'm familiar enough with XBMC, I had it a few years back on an AppleTV 2 and had Raspbmc on my Pi as well. All that side of it is straight enough.

I've no experience with rooting android and installing custom ROMs or firmwares though. I'm not going to do anything for now, just looking into what alternatives to the stock OS and launcher really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah I'm familiar enough with XBMC, I had it a few years back on an AppleTV 2 and had Raspbmc on my Pi as well. All that side of it is straight enough.

I've no experience with rooting android and installing custom ROMs or firmwares though. I'm not going to do anything for now, just looking into what alternatives to the stock OS and launcher really.

You have the MXIII, is it the 2GB or the 1GB version?

There is lots of firmware options for those boxes. Mediaman has done up some android version etc. A few in development on Freaktab as well.

I have a MXQ and stuck on Mediamans version of firmware, seems stable so far. I only done it as I dont like the prepackaged launcher.

Get XBMC etc up and running and fire me a PM whenever you are looking at doing a custom firmware, there is a couple of niggly things to initial set up but nothing where you will need to code....

You have the MXIII, is it the 2GB or the 1GB version?

There is lots of firmware options for those boxes. Mediaman has done up some android version etc. A few in development on Freaktab as well.

I have a MXQ and stuck on Mediamans version of firmware, seems stable so far. I only done it as I dont like the prepackaged launcher.

Get XBMC etc up and running and fire me a PM whenever you are looking at doing a custom firmware, there is a couple of niggly things to initial set up but nothing where you will need to code....

Thanks for the help as usual Big Nelly, the two boxes I got were MXiii's 1Gb and they're not actually for me. So I've to give them to the family members I bought them for. I've a feeling I'm going to have to get more though, already three more have asked could I get them. Maybe the next ones I order I'll look at changing the firmware. I'll look into it myself in the meantime. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

For any of the people here that picked up the Lenovo Q190, did you have a problem with XBMC not running in full screen? If so, is there a fix for it?

This is how mine looks, I can play it through a window but still have the bar across the bottom and a border on the top.

332487.jpg

Edit: Nevermind, sorted.

• Advertisement

Anybody here know if the MXiii's have built in Bluetooth? I've looked at the specs and it doesn't list it but the 2GB model does.

If not I wonder if it would support a dongle. I've three Bluetooth keyboards and had to borrow a USB one because I assumed it had 4.0 built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Looks like there is a major firmware release for the minix x8

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-002a-firmware.2413/

Anyone on here have the OTT TV Box M8 box? My mate has bought one and just got it to build and not sure what firmwares are out there. Any idea's of a good stable one?

It has the ARM Cortex A9 Quad core and 8 core GPU.....

Think he bought from Amazon

k123456 wrote: »
    Looks like there is a major firmware release for the minix x8

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-002a-firmware.2413/

Yeah, scrubbed the box at weekend and put it on with XBMC for Minix 13.3.3 Beta 8. First time I have played 1080p on the Minix and been very surprised at the quality of the picture. I have watched Frozen 100 times but this was the first time it was crystal clear. Even my wife who normally wouldnt comment if it was in colour or Black and white noticed how clear....so thumbs up from me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yeah, scrubbed the box at weekend and put it on with XBMC for Minix 13.3.3 Beta 8. First time I have played 1080p on the Minix and been very surprised at the quality of the picture. I have watched Frozen 100 times but this was the first time it was crystal clear. Even my wife who normally wouldnt comment if it was in cold or Black and white noticed how clear....so thumbs up from me

I nearly need a standalone box for just that damn movie, its on so much in my house. Why does it have to be so bloody catchy too?:P

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    I nearly need a standalone box for just that damn movie, its on so much in my house. Why does it have to be so bloody catchy too?:P

I have 15 month old, it is the only film she will watch, any of the other disney films she loses interest in after about 5 mins......:P:P

When she can't sleep at 4 in morning the only answer is Frozen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Anyone on here have the OTT TV Box M8 box? My mate has bought one and just got it to build and not sure what firmwares are out there. Any idea's of a good stable one?

I have it and the firmware thats on it is the most stable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That's the one I have I think. Flashed Mediman on it, runs fine.
    Will be flashing Open Elec as soon as I find it with the latest RC Kodi, only one o ajve seen had RC1.

dahat wrote: »
    That's the one I have I think. Flashed Mediman on it, runs fine.
    Will be flashing Open Elec as soon as I find it with the latest RC Kodi, only one o ajve seen had RC1.

Would love to flash it with OpenELEC but he wants to use some of the features of Android so just looking for a stable build. I haven't even turned it on yet. He says it won't work with anything so I guess the firmware is crap....

Do you have a link to the one you used?

CinSoots wrote: »
    I have it and the firmware thats on it is the most stable one.

Could you link as well please? thanks

Would love to flash it with OpenELEC but he wants to use some of the features of Android so just looking for a stable build. I haven't even turned it on yet. He says it won't work with anything so I guess the firmware is crap....

Do you have a link to the one you used?
    http://mbox.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

Its in here somewhere.

You stick on finless or Acemax?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

This is what I have on mine but I have just realised there is a newer version available here.

I think I am going to leave well enough alone and leave it as it is though as I have absolutely zero problems with the current firmware on the box.

You stick on finless or Acemax?
    http://mbox.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=142

Just put OE on, I'm set for a rainy day playing with Kodi box. Who needs to buy Xmas presents!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jimosterberg

For people who have tried both - any opinion on which is the better box - The M8 4k 2G or the MxIII 2G?

Thanks

• Advertisement

For people who have tried both - any opinion on which is the better box - The M8 4k 2G or the MxIII 2G?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

Just got a m8c from tinydeal should I flash a new Rom onto it or is the stock one ok I can't install chrome onto it it says its not compatible with my device

Thanks

Will be able to tell you in a day or 2 once I get a chance to test the M8

The M8 is a funny old box. A lot of the Android ROMs were initially poor but like most boxes it performs well under Linux/Open Elec..

Unless Android is a must I would use Linux/Open Elec to make the box a true XBMC Media Centre.

The M8 is a funny old box. A lot of the Android ROMs were initially poor but like most boxes it performs well under Linux/Open Elec..

Unless Android is a must I would use Linux/Open Elec to make the box a true XBMC Media Centre.

If it was mine I would fire on OpenELEC now, but not mine so have to stick to android

If it was mine I would fire on OpenELEC now, but not mine so have to stick to android

Pity, still the more recent ROMs are getting good reports, Just Me has one on Freaktab as well, that or the Mediaman seem best.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

''''''

Will be able to tell you in a day or 2 once I get a chance to test the M8

I have both at the moment and am keeping one and giving one as a Christmas present. See very little difference between them at the moment. Both seem great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

kevez wrote: »
    Just got a m8c from tinydeal should I flash a new Rom onto it or is the stock one ok I can't install chrome onto it it says its not compatible with my device

The ROM on this box is pure crap, I don't think there is a new ROM for it yet so you are pretty much stuck with what you got until they update!

• Advertisement

Is using a good VPN on these boxes easy? Is it as simple as just getting an app from the play store or for a good sign up is it a bit more complicated?

Happy Christmas everyone!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement