Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Which device do you think best for H.265 compatibility with atleast 2gb ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Which device do you think best for H.265 compatibility with atleast 2gb ram?

Same question here - if the M8 is so bad what would you recommend and where is best to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

So I ended up giving away my second mx3 box for christmas. I'm going to buy another to keep but wondering is there anything better than the mx3 2gb for around the 100 euro mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Allyall wrote: »
    I don't know why the Square M8 became so popular.. :confused: It's got tons of problems, isn't particularly cheap and doesn't support H.265
    Unless somewhere down the along the way people got confused with the Beelink M8? (Which is probably what the sellers/factory wanted.)

I wouldn't recommend the square M8 to anyone..

It runs fine with decent ROM. Mine runs no bother now but out of the box it will cauae issues not for the novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

There are a few, - These sellers are just the first results. You may find it cheaper elsewhere.

Original Beelink M8
    MXIII 2GB Version
    RKM S812

And quite a few more, MXQ, maybe the M8S, if it's still at a decent price etc..
    There are a lot of options now, but the ones that have proven stability, or a decent chipset/hardware are a safe option. I'm sure I've left out loads there too.

There are 1GB versions of those also available and at a lower price, and imo they're very good too.
    Some of the newer hybrid boxes also support H.265 and have the Tuner and optional storage included pre-shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've been playing with that MXIII all day and it seems great.
    Installing all the good plugins that I've googled.

I did notice the OTA update option is broken tho. Not sure what firmware or ROM is on it, but I hear people talking about openelec. I'm guessing this is basically just a better ROM that will speed up my box?

At the moment I like that I can install another launcher from the appstore. Can't wait for Google TV launcher to be released.

Your MXIII is running Android which is why you can download from the Play Store. Have a look at the Code Red launcher from the Play Store.

Open Elec isn't android and you cant use the Play Store then. ..

Kid simple explanation but that's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I've been playing with that MXIII all day and it seems great.
    Installing all the good plugins that I've googled.

I did notice the OTA update option is broken tho. Not sure what firmware or ROM is on it, but I hear people talking about openelec. I'm guessing this is basically just a better ROM that will speed up my box?

At the moment I like that I can install another launcher from the appstore. Can't wait for Google TV launcher to be released.

Openelec is an operating system based on Linux, it will replace android on a box.You'll be able to run XBMC on it, but not any other android based apps that are popular for streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I wouldnt either, have only done a bit of setting up for friend and seems very ropey,.....will get a chance tomorrow to fully test but dont think it will get much better.....

He bought from Amazon as well, afraid to ask what he paid for it :rolleyes:

Was this post in relation to me? I ordered earlier today from Amazon/Droidplayer an M8 2gb Ram / 8gb ROM for £60gbp.

Please let me know if/why this is a bad buy because I still have time to cancel before it ships.

For me, apart from anything else, if I was buying a box today, H.265 is a feature I wouldn't want left out.

• Advertisement

For me, apart from anything else, if I was buying a box today, H.265 is a feature I wouldn't want left out.

Am I correct in thinking the MXIII is h265?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Just got my dispatch email so no cancelling now. I'll try it out when it arrives and at least it should be easier to return if needed as its fulfilled by amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

theShire wrote: »
    Just got my dispatch email so no cancelling now. I'll try it out when it arrives and at least it should be easier to return if needed as its fulfilled by amazon

Test it out.it might do what you need it to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

5500 wrote: »
    So I ended up giving away my second mx3 box for christmas. I'm going to buy another to keep but wondering is there anything better than the mx3 2gb for around the 100 euro mark?

I think this is a great bargain

Link: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_80704.html
    Coupon: MXQBLG, which will bring the price to €37.18.

It only has 1GB of memory and I bought it to run OpenELEC but have been running xbmc on android and have no issues....actually going to sell the Minix and run this for the next few weeks.

OpenELEC is still been developed on it, the issue is Codesnaked bricked the box he had but I would expect it after Xmas

It also supports H.265

Only thing I have seen, is XBMC pops up with memory full the odd time, but it has not affected the stream yet. The Minix quality on 1080p is a bit better but nothing you would notice unless looking for it.....and for the price you cant beat it.....

dahat wrote: »

This was the confusing thing for me, on the MXIII I bought it said it was only H.264 supported on website. But the box said H.265. I tried to play a H.265 and the quality was terrible but I am not sure if that was the actually player I was using because I was trying to do it quickly and I couldnt get the MX Player updates working,,,,,,

I would be interested to see if anyone could get H.265 working on it......because I might buy a few more of them :D

dahat wrote: »
    Yep. It's the same/similar to the S89 or the Beelink M8 (S82)
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Test it out.it might do what you need it to do.
    It will, and it has an openelec build which is great.
    The reason I see it as an important feature is, if you plan on using some of the unnameable apps/addons, a lot will be using H.265 predominantly in a few months.
    Many are already upping in H.265 (x265), as it is a much smaller file size and still good quality.
    I would be interested to see if anyone could get H.265 working on it......because I might buy a few more of them
    The 1GB only supports H.265 up to 720p.
    VLC Player seems to be the better for H.265 on Android at the minute.

This was the confusing thing for me, on the MXIII I bought it said it was only H.264 supported on website. But the box said H.265. I tried to play a H.265 and the quality was terrible but I am not sure if that was the actually player I was using because I was trying to do it quickly and I couldnt get the MX Player updates working,,,,,,

I would be interested to see if anyone could get H.265 working on it......because I might buy a few more of them :D

I'll test mine further when I get it on a week or so..forgot to test the 1gb before I sold it.

Yep. It's the same/similar to the S89 or the Beelink M8 (S82)

It will, and it has an openelec build which is great.
    The reason I see it as an important feature is, if you plan on using some of the unnameable apps/addons, a lot will be using H.265 predominantly in a few months.
    Many are already upping in H.265 (x265), as it is a much smaller file size and still good quality.

Won't be selling the 2gb box then as the M8 I have isn't h265 compatible.

Bit of a strange request, but does anyone have a USB receiver for the Minix Neo M1 remote? I have the remote but when I looked at box the receiver is gone....no idea where I lost it but I would say it is long gone....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

I think this is a great bargain

Link: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_80704.html
    Coupon: MXQBLG, which will bring the price to €37.18.

It only has 1GB of memory and I bought it to run OpenELEC but have been running xbmc on android and have no issues....actually going to sell the Minix and run this for the next few weeks.

OpenELEC is still been developed on it, the issue is Codesnaked bricked the box he had but I would expect it after Xmas

It also supports H.265

Only thing I have seen, is XBMC pops up with memory full the odd time, but it has not affected the stream yet. The Minix quality on 1080p is a bit better but nothing you would notice unless looking for it.....and for the price you cant beat it.....

Looking to get a box but was going to get one from adverts that had everything preinstalled already. If I got this one would there be much setting up to do? Know nothing about open elec or rooting etc, am not tech savvy at all

• Advertisement

coco1981 wrote: »
    Looking to get a box but was going to get one from adverts that had everything preinstalled already. If I got this one would there be much setting up to do? Know nothing about open elec or rooting etc, am not tech savvy at all

You dont need to know about OpenELEC. I think a few people are getting confused. OpenELEC is an optional operating system you can install onto these boxes. This is really optional and you don't need to look at it.

All of these boxes come with Android out of the box which you can use. They will come with XBMC preinstalled but not set up.....

coco1981 wrote: »

Most set ups are easy to do but if not tech savvy probably best to get one set up but do not pay way over the odds for a set up box.

If you have a laptop install XBMC and check out YouTube for tips on how to do a set up. Quote likely you enjoy learning and save yourself €€€ as well.

You will also need to understand when things go wrong what to do and how to fix. Learn before you buy is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Bit of a strange request, but does anyone have a USB receiver for the Minix Neo M1 remote? I have the remote but when I looked at box the receiver is gone....no idea where I lost it but I would say it is long gone....

Is that the one that came free with the box? If it is you're welcome to it. The power switch broke on my remote in the off position so the receiver is no good to me now. Recently bought the Mele pro 10 deluxe, fantastic remote.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Is that the one that came free with the box? If it is you're welcome to it. The power switch broke on my remote in the off position so the receiver is no good to me now. Recently bought the Mele pro 10 deluxe, fantastic remote.

Yeah, not the IR remote, the USB remote. I have the remote but lost the receiver...

Will PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

What's the best vpn to use anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

What's the best vpn to use anyone know?

Try Here I don't use it at the moment.But by all accounts it's a great service and has your devices well covered.They are also offering great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Using Amazon fire tv was easy setup and its faster than my apple tv1.

Would be concerned about the lack of details from the seller....

Questions asked are not really answered:

Q: Is the xbmc media player the 13.1 gotham version?
    A:
    I think its the very latest, now called kodi either way its bloody fast

Anything can be fast but a bit pointless if it is fast but won't run the software.....now I dont think there will be any issue with it running the software but it just points to the seller not having a clue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks, agree that it looks dodgy - I could get it direct from Amazon too though, what about the box itself?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Android-AMLogic-Streamer/dp/B00P7WI8AA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419705138&sr=8-1&keywords=Sumvision+Cyclone+Android

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement