Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Thanks, agree that it looks dodgy - I could get it direct from Amazon too though, what about the box itself?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Android-AMLogic-Streamer/dp/B00P7WI8AA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419705138&sr=8-1&keywords=Sumvision+Cyclone+Android

Well it is quad core so grand on that stance but no details on cache, GPU or memory....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

This is on lightning deals again, worth it or better off with something else? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q5OJXOY/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

bazzz wrote: »
    Try Here I don't use it at the moment.But by all accounts it's a great service and has your devices well covered.They are also offering great prices.

Thanks will try it later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Does anyone know when an OTA update of the firmware will occur for Minix boxes? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

coldfire1x wrote: »
    There's 2 versions of Kodi - for ARM and x86.
    http://kodi.tv/download/

Did you download the right version?

Tried both arm & x86 versions since, arm will install but won't run, reverts back to apps installed page, x86 is incompatible, so reinstalled 13.2 again, seems RK3188 and Kodi 14 won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just installed Kodi on my MXIII. Wasn't sure which one to go with but a quick search and I found the Amologic S802 is ARM based.

Everything went fine, was restoring XBMC to factory so it was the perfect time to update. Working away now as before, nothing different that I noticed other than the icon.

Only thing is I get a grey overlay with permissions every time I open Kodi. You can still use everything in the background just a bit of an eyesore.

JTMan wrote: »
    Does anyone know when an OTA update of the firmware will occur for Minix boxes? Thanks.

You need to manually upgrade to new firmware, once you have done this future upgrades will be via the OTA option

You wont be able to do OTA til you do the manual upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Big Nelly wrote: »
    You need to manually upgrade to new firmware, once you have done this future upgrades will be via the OTA option

You wont be able to do OTA til you do the manual upgrade

Thanks.

Is it compulsory to have a Windows machine to do the manual upgrade?

Thanks.

Dont think so....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

Journey of M8S so far :

29-12-2014 07:07 The item has been delivered successfully UNITED KINGDOM
    29-12-2014 04:46 The item has been processed in the country of destination
    26-12-2014 13:24 The item has been processed in the country of destination
    26-12-2014 09:20 The item has arrived in the country of destination
    23-12-2014 05:05 The item is on transport to the country of destination
    22-12-2014 07:05 The item is at the PostNL sorting center
    22-12-2014 03:58 The item is ready for shipment
    15-12-2014 08:17 The item is pre-adviced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No customs then? Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks.

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-002a-firmware.2413/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

dahat wrote: »
    No customs then? Parcel Motel?

Ssshhhhh.

Wouldn't want any prying eyes closing down any loop holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Well i got the asus cromebox running open-elec.my god it flys along .if you can pick one up cheap people jump on it there great

Where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Where did you get it?

Ny 129$

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jimosterberg

Hi Folks, I read some weeks ago that vdubt25 IPTV is not working (or certain aspects EPG perhaps not working). Can someone let me know please is iptv working fully

Thanks

(wll be installing on 2 machines, 1 Kodi, and 2 Minix version of XBMC FW version 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I read some weeks ago that vdubt25 IPTV is not working (or certain aspects EPG perhaps not working). Can someone let me know please is iptv working fully

Thanks

(wll be installing on 2 machines, 1 Kodi, and 2 Minix version of XBMC FW version 2)

vdubt25 has a new add on. Install that.

• Advertisement

iba wrote: »
    vdubt25 has a new add on. Install that.

Hi IBa, what is the name of the new add on please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi IBa, what is the name of the new add on please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbF5MI2-MDE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

just got this from amazon - found it ealrier on this thread.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GYRDZGE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

im completely impressed with the ease of setup, preloaded with xbmc, and a host of addons. loving the full hd etc. minor gripe already was the poor remote, but as the device has 2 usb ports i just plugged mouse and keyboard for setup.

just got this from amazon - found it ealrier on this thread.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GYRDZGE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

im completely impressed with the ease of setup, preloaded with xbmc, and a host of addons. loving the full hd etc. minor gripe already was the poor remote, but as the device has 2 usb ports i just plugged mouse and keyboard for setup.

That was my first box, mighty box, once you get used to it have a look for Wasser firmware for it.....that really makes it a proper XBMC box

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Big Nelly wrote: »
    That was my first box, mighty box, once you get used to it have a look for Wasser firmware for it.....that really makes it a proper XBMC box

Is there a "Best box" to buy?

vectra wrote: »
    Is there a "Best box" to buy?

Not really, a lot of boxes need fiddling with at some point. ROMs/Add on settings etc...

Best match your purchase to your skill level tech wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Not really, a lot of boxes need fiddling with at some point. ROMs/Add on settings etc...

Best match your purchase to your skill level tech wise.

What would be good beginner's box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Both the Minix XBMC and SPMC have gone all flunky on me since I updated to official firmware 2. The screen is squeezed up into the top left corner. I did a restart it worked in full screen for a few minutes then went back. SPMC was fine until it updated from the playstore opened it and the screen was this way and a restart was no use.

When I was stuck using SPMC I mistakenly pressed # key and the screen went like the Minix screen I clicked # again and it went to full screen but it wouldn't work on Minix and now won't work on SPMC.

From the little bit of goggling it seems you press \ or / or # all of which are not helping me.

CinSoots wrote: »
    This is what I have on mine but I have just realised there is a newer version available here.

I think I am going to leave well enough alone and leave it as it is though as I have absolutely zero problems with the current firmware on the box.

Ok feedback so far on this M8 and its a piece of sh*t. Honestly it is terrible. The firmware is as flakey and nothing works on it.

I flashed it with this firmware: http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2014/10/08/m8-cm8-m8s-amlogic-s802-tv-box-latest-firmware-released-20141008/. The box is dog slow, so much that when you are moving the pointer around you have to wait for it to get to the icon. This was the same with the installed firmware.

Have installed 13.2 and 14 XBMC and both won't work. Even the standalone app's I use are very flakey. If it wasn't mind I would throw it out the window.....

This is 3rd attempt at building so I am going to flash firmware again, see if I can get it reasonably solid and then fire it to mate. Let him off with it...not my problem anymore :-)

Maybe OpenELEC runs on it ok but by god Android is **** on it....

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    What would be good beginner's box?

Can't really answer as I have only used two.

The M8 which was a headwrecker but flying now.
    The MXIII 1gb which was really good but sold it to get the 2gb as our second box.

One thing I found was I don't like the Android aspect of them so I now use Open Elec and will stay with it as XBMC performs really well on it once you don't use P2P,not compatible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement