Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

My mxiii is on the way from China - I was wondering if there is anyway of using a Blackberry Bold to control these? I have a spare one lying around and it has one of the most usable keyboards I've ever tried. I know it is very unlikely given the different OS and probable lack of developers but thought I'd ask - it would be amazing!

You can control Android from Blackberry. It depends on both version OS's.
    I don't know if you can control KitKat from an older BB, although it probably is possible, especially if it is being updated often (going by previous BB developers/enthusiasts, it most likely is).

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

New to KODI just downloaded it on my MacBook it's amazing! Can someone tell me the best XMBC box to buy so I cAn play it on my TV thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I should have a 2gb mx3 here tomorrow and just looking at the finless 2.1 rom is anyone else running it? Any caveats or is it a nice daily driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

5500 wrote: »
    I should have a 2gb mx3 here tomorrow and just looking at the finless 2.1 rom is anyone else running it? Any caveats or is it a nice daily driver?

Are you set on Android? If not I would consider Open Elec, really does improve the xbmc experience. It turned my M8 into a pretty decent box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

It's expensive but looks interesting.

http://www.xtreamer.net/Prodigy-4k/

• Advertisement

Not sure what this will do but it looks like it does have xbmc installed.

http://www.xtreamer.net/SideWinder4/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

For those that have the Minix 8H , It definite is much better with the latest FW, 2a. Seems to have got rid of XBMC addon issues - video playback was studdering, choppy

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-x8-official-firmware-releases.19/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

dahat wrote: »
    Are you set on Android? If not I would consider Open Elec, really does improve the xbmc experience. It turned my M8 into a pretty decent box.

No I'm open to Linux I had it solely on an mx2 box before with no prob the only handy part I found was the usb media player in the default launcher with android, can I still access a variant of this via xbmc with openelec?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Not sure what this will do but it looks like it does have xbmc installed.

http://www.xtreamer.net/SideWinder4/

Almost obsolete at this stage, surely?
    Dual-Core AML8726 Mx-D (AMLOGIC) ARM Cortex-A9 dual core/1.5GHZ

http://www.xtreamer.net/SideWinder4/specs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

styron wrote: »

I was mooching about looking for some info on these and it seems they were launched at CES in 2011.
    Having said that, the design on their boxes look very good compared to many android boxes out there.

To me it seems you could feed your UPC or Satallite through these and use the remote to navigate your way around both android and Sat/Cable?
    Which is a cool enough idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Allyall wrote: »
    You can control Android from Blackberry. It depends on both version OS's.
    I don't know if you can control KitKat from an older BB, although it probably is possible, especially if it is being updated often (going by previous BB developers/enthusiasts, it most likely is).
    I'll give it a try when my box arrives using BlackBerry bridge

The sidewinger probably obsolete but have a look at the specs of Prodigy. That's the one I found interesting.

You can fit an internal HDD.

styron wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 15,542 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The sidewinger probably obsolete but have a look at the specs of Prodigy. That's the one I found interesting.

You can fit an internal HDD.

Looks decent
    Pre order for €149

Tempting.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

vectra wrote: »
    Looks decent
    Pre order for €149

Tempting.:P
    looks very overpriced to me. When chromebox or other intel based boxs are better value

Sumvison and Xtreamer have been around for a good while. Sumvision mostly used to make external hard drive media players, and Xtreamer doing the same as they're doing now.
    I can't remember what the problem with Xtreamer was, but before buying from them it may be worth looking up.
    I remember reading tons of problems with them in the past, and it prevented me from buying one years ago.
    They even had a reseller based here, I think up in Antrim. For whatever reason they didn't sell as well as they should have at the time.

^^ There was this heating issue when they came up with the first media player. I think since then it has been sorted.

^^ There was this heating issue when they came up with the first media player. I think since then it has been sorted.

I think it was more to do with customer support/lack of and some untruths about what codecs it was able to support. (There was quite a large list).

I don't doubt that it will support all codecs it claims now, as that's pretty normal. But I would hope their customer support hasn't still got complaints about them.

Still, may be leaps and bounds above the average Adverts/Amazon/Ebay/Chinese seller.

As it's years later and they're still going, it can't be all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Maybe a bit off topic and I might get in trouble but just wondering has anyone ever created there own IPTV list?

I am in the process of building one and just interested to see......

*Please note this is not a discussion about illegal streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had problems with WiFi on my MX,kept turning off and was nigh on impossible to get it to turn on.Found a solution here after threatening to throw the yoke through the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Maybe a bit off topic and I might get in trouble but just wondering has anyone ever created there own IPTV list?

I am in the process of building one and just interested to see......

*Please note this is not a discussion about illegal streams.

If you get one set up,post the results and success or failure with it,I thought of it and got lazy.

BTW,I set up a box for a mate and now he tells me over a dozen people want one.I could be a busy bunny for a while.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    If you get one set up,post the results and success or failure with it,I thought of it and got lazy.

BTW,I set up a box for a mate and now he tells me over a dozen people want one.I could be a busy bunny for a while.

Everyone wants one but when they go wrong script failed etc that's when the hassle starts for you.

I sold one with a basic set up but not sure I'd go into it for €€€€€ as folk who don't understand Kodi would be hard to deal with I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

dahat wrote: »
    Everyone wants one but when they go wrong script failed etc that's when the hassle starts for you.

I sold one with a basic set up but not sure I'd go into it for €€€€€ as folk who don't understand Kodi would be hard to deal with I'd imagine.
    Ye i sold alot of boxs 2 years ago and i still get people ringing about silly stuff

massy086 wrote: »
    Ye i sold alot of boxs 2 years ago and i still get people ringing about silly stuff

People read the glory adverts that's boxes are the great solutipn to free TV and sports.

People fail learn themselves when they get a box and that's the biggest mistake they will make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Can anyone recommend me a good reasonable priced android box.Less than €60

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Keep an eye on this quad core thread with coupon currently €23.50-€25 (below customs threshold) it offers real value, more boardsie reviews to follow - the few Amazon look good so far, some 1080P miracast and WiFi issues in comments on this review.

Edit - just noticed firmware update 109k4

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Anyone have a t8 android box? Just wondering how good it is any bad points/good points??

What's WiFi like on it any issues??

Where did people purchase theirs from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Invincible

JonnyM wrote: »
    Anyone have a t8 android box? Just wondering how good it is any bad points/good points??

If you check vdubt25 on YouTube, he has a review done.

JonnyM wrote: »

Don't buy one in Ireland anyway, seen one seller having them at neat or over €200! Same box can be bought from England for £90 or a little more from Droid sticks with a few extras on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Can anyone recommend me a good reasonable priced android box.Less than €60

MXQ S85 with H.265 support.
    Use coupon MXQBLG to get for €37.18 with free standard shipping.

Available from Gearbest

Or the 808B above. I have bought one and got delivered yesterday but yet to test

Easy answer is where is your router? where will your android box be placed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Big Nelly wrote: »
    MXQ S85 with H.265 support.
    Use coupon MXQBLG to get for €37.18 with free standard shipping.

Available from Gearbest

Or the 808B above. I have bought one and got delivered yesterday but yet to test

Easy answer is where is your router? where will your android box be placed?
    Router is in my room right next to the tv

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement