Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Router is in my room right next to the tv

The 808B would do a job but it is limited to some of the HD performance from what I have read....

The MXQ is a great box I have found, some people on here will complain the cache is only 1GB but it works perfect for me. As mentioned I have yet to try the 808B but I read it cannot play above 720p HD

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Big Nelly wrote: »
    The 808B would do a job but it is limited to some of the HD performance from what I have read....

The MXQ is a great box I have found, some people on here will complain the cache is only 1GB but it works perfect for me. As mentioned I have yet to try the 808B but I read it cannot play above 720p HD

Read on XDA I think that the Finless rom for 808+ works on the mxq. I'd have to look again to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I stuck this thread up last week, and while its not an android box, it does a lot of stuff that many of us want to do, namely run XBMC on the telly box.

Might be an option for some (like me!) who aren't that bothered about the technical bits, but just want to slouch on the couch and stream sh_t.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057354143

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

I stuck this thread up last week, and while its not an android box, it does a lot of stuff that many of us want to do, namely run XBMC on the telly box.

Might be an option for some (like me!) who aren't that bothered about the technical bits, but just want to slouch on the couch and stream sh_t.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057354143

Off topic, but anyway, always thought your username was Heraldofthefleet, until now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Invincible wrote: »
    Off topic, but anyway, always thought your username was Heraldofthefleet, until now :D

Lol! When I signed up, I was looking for Herald, but that as gone, so I tried Herald of Free Enterprise, but it kicked me off after 15 characters.

Dunno why I was even bothered with Herald, I think the paper was on my desk or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My MXIII is arriving by DHL tomorrow or the next day but now it doesn't look like I will be home. Any idea what I can do? Took a look on their website but can't find anything. I'm guessing I might have to pay customs too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

My MXIII is arriving by DHL tomorrow or the next day but now it doesn't look like I will be home. Any idea what I can do? Took a look on their website but can't find anything. I'm guessing I might have to pay customs too

Get DHL local office number and arrange for delivery some of the following days.

Ring them, I did and got them to drop off at a mate house, once it is still in same area they dont have an issue. If it is on different route then you will have to wait.....

sugarman wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a 2GB MXIII brand new in box? ...literally took it out and had a play of it for an hour and decided its not for me, going ahead with a new HTPC build instead and could use the funds.

PM if interested!

Sent PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I bought an 808B for herself, it arrived today, stung by customs and she's moaning because it has no remote, ill probably stick it on adverts at face value if anyone needed one in a hurry

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

5500 wrote: »
    I bought an 808B for herself, it arrived today, stung by customs and she's moaning because it has no remote, ill probably stick it on adverts at face value if anyone needed one in a hurry

Ain't much use without a remote surely?

They don't come with one which I only twigged today after looking back at the specs again. In saying that you can use remoteime on your phone as a remote or an air mouse ect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

5500 wrote: »
    They don't come with one which I only twigged today after looking back at the specs again. In saying that you can use remoteime on your phone as a remote or an air mouse ect

... or just a wireless mouse if you have a spare one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You could install Googles Android TV Remote, or just have it boot into XBMC until you can install Openelec on it and use Yatse.
    I didn't go for one of these yet :), but for the price and spec, well worth it, especially considering it does the same as most of the €100+ boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭branners69

Allyall wrote: »
    You could install Googles Android TV Remote, or just have it boot into XBMC until you can install Openelec on it and use Yatse.
    I didn't go for one of these yet :), but for the price and spec, well worth it, especially considering it does the same as most of the €100+ boxes.

Open Elec can be installed on these? They just got a whole lot more interesting now.

Is there a linux xbmc available for the 808? My own mxiii 2gb came this morning, looking at stane1983 linux version on freaktab has anyone on here used it?

Codesnake has released 5.0 Kodi Rc3 for his Open Elec for the M8 for those interested..

dahat wrote: »
    Open Elec can be installed on these? They just got a whole lot more interesting now.

Do you mean can OpenELEC be installed or you know it can?

Would be very interested if it can be installed on the 808b

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Do you mean can OpenELEC be installed or you know it can?

Would be very interested if it can be installed on the 808b

Can it be is what I meant Allyal hinted at it. It would be bombproof bargain if it can be.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will be. - http://openlinux.amlogic.com/

And a quote from Stane1983 (AMLinux)
    I believe Amlogic M8 SoC is pretty good platform for running full featured Linux. Only problem is at the moment that Mali does not support OpenGL (not ES) HW acceleration which is used in X11 windowing system. Last info I have is that Amlogic engineers are working on that part too and probably we will have full flavor Ubuntu running on Amlogic.
    Meanwhile, {but w/o OpenGL acceleration.}

EXPERIMENTAL

The instructions below have been done in a computer running Ubuntu 14.04, but a Windows computer can also be used.
    1. Download Wetek-Linux.img.bz2
    2. Connect a micro SD card to your computer, extract and flash Wetek-Linux.img:
      • In Linux using a terminal window: bzip2 -d Wetek-LInux.img.bz2 sudo dd if=Wetek-Linux.img of=/dev/sdd bs=1M sync
      • In Windows, extract the image, and use Win32DiskImager to copy the image to your micro SD card
    3. Now insert the micro SD card into Wetek Play, and start the device.
    4. Linux should boot and run Enlightenment

And OpenElec may come up here - http://openelec.tv/forum/90-miscellaneous/73147-openelec-for-amlogic-s805-quad-core-stb

I may buy the 808 on spec in case/when it becomes available.

Been using Open Elec a while now and love it. Couldn't get round the Live TV on it but that's no real issue for me nor was lack of P2P.

P***r is a big plus for me personally

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

I bought a tv box recommended over on the bargain alerts thread and very impressed with it.

One thing though, how do I up the quality of the YouTube videos, they're not up to the quality of my upc box when playing the same thing?

I may buy the 808 on spec in case/when it becomes available.

Been using Open Elec a while now and love it. Couldn't get round the Live TV on it but that's no real issue for me nor was lack of P2P.

P***r is a big plus for me personally

P2P is easy enough. If it's the same thing I think you're talking about :D. I'll bet you just missed something.
    That pixar thing is great too :D.
    deadlast wrote: »
    I bought a tv box recommended over on the bargain alerts thread and very impressed with it.

One thing though, how do I up the quality of the YouTube videos, they're not up to the quality of my upc box when playing the same thing?

What box is it? Do you know which firmware?
    Try updating Youtube app to the newest.

Had P2P set up correctly from what I know, just failed to load list files at the very death.

Think its an issue on Acestream and what engine they use, not up on it so that may sound like nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Had P2P set up correctly from what I know, just failed to load list files at the very death.

Think its an issue on Acestream and what engine they use, not up on it so that may sound like nonsense.

I have an M8 with open elec, and I'm getting the failed to load list files message aswell.

You need older version of Acestream engine. I forgot it was openelec.

You need older version of Acestream engine. I forgot it was openelec.

Downloaded and will go at it again later.

How will that install though? As a repo?

Downloaded and will go at it again later.

How will that install though? As a repo?

Yes. But it may not work on newer openelec. PM'd you there. Seems enen is working on one, as acestream themselves have no benefit in building one for arm openelec yet.

• Advertisement

Yes. But it may not work on newer openelec. PM'd you there. Seems enen is working on one, as acestream themselves have no benefit in building one for arm openelec yet.

Will try and see sure.

Hopefully he can find a fix sometime as it is the only flaw in Open Elec.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement