Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Allyall wrote: »

What box is it? Do you know which firmware?
    Try updating Youtube app to the newest.

It's this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057256553&page=13
    Its running android 4.4.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Would these android boxes be reliable enough to cancel my Tv sub?

I have chromecast working off my phone but I wouldn't rely on it for everyday use, Would the Android box be a much better piece of equipment?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bit of an odd question but someone might have found answer before. I got my 808B delivered and have no where to put it so tried it on a small 19" TV I have in the house. TV was bought circa 2008 so I didn't think I would have a hope it would even connect but it works. Well I can get into desktop on Android and got Kodi 14 installed.

Issue is the playback is using the wrong Resolution. System - Settings - System - Video output

I think it is on 1800 x 720p. This means everything is really close up. Like you can just see the nose/mouth section of someone on screen.

The issues is I cannot change it. It is greyed out. Done a google and can't find anything to tell me how to change. I have changed to Expert level settings and still greyed out

If I drop out of XBMC and set the video setting on android they are correct. Any idea's have to by pass the greyed out setting for video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Bit of an odd question but someone might have found answer before. I got my 808B delivered and have no where to put it so tried it on a small 19" TV I have in the house. TV was bought circa 2008 so I didn't think I would have a hope it would even connect but it works. Well I can get into desktop on Android and got Kodi 14 installed.

Issue is the playback is using the wrong Resolution. System - Settings - System - Video output

I think it is on 1800 x 720p. This means everything is really close up. Like you can just see the nose/mouth section of someone on screen.

The issues is I cannot change it. It is greyed out. Done a google and can't find anything to tell me how to change. I have changed to Expert level settings and still greyed out

If I drop out of XBMC and set the video setting on android they are correct. Any idea's have to by pass the greyed out setting for video?

Greyed out on my Nexus 5 too but have a look in Android > data > org.xbmc.kodi > files> .kodi> userdata guisettings.xml
    (show hiddenfiles should be on for this)

What looks interesting is <window> </window> in there gives height and weight default for playing in window mode.

Might be worth a look.

Ste- wrote: »
    Greyed out on my Nexus 5 too but have a look in Android > data > org.xbmc.kodi > files> .kodi> userdata guisettings.xml
    (show hiddenfiles should be on for this)

What looks interesting is <window> </window> in there gives height and weight default for playing in window mode.

Might be worth a look.

Must have a look later, in work and dont have box but I noticed on Kodi on my tablet it is the same and greyed out....might try the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Charlie19 wrote: »

I have chromecast working off my phone but I wouldn't rely on it for everyday use, Would the Android box be a much better piece of equipment?

Thanks

Dont think a sub for real TV, the output can be low quality, However Saorview/ Freeview would be a better sub

Charlie19 wrote: »

Thanks

if you have set up correctly you could replace....

Better off trying on laptop and checking first

I dont think I will renew my UPC contract this year

Wil stick with XBMC and then just put Saorview/Freeview into house just to have standard channels.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Getting a message pop up along the lines of "your generic android device may have 14 viruses,click here to install a program (can't remember the name) to help remove them". I suspect it's one of the apps causing it,I think it's popcorn time but not sure.
    Anyone able to shed any light on it?

Popped up twice during a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Saorciew/free view box plus Kodi would work but if doing that any user should learn about how to use and fix issues once they show their ugly head.

It also depends on your household, alone? Kids? Etc. My 7 year old has her own menu on the ribbon and i have sub menus for her set up. I have shown her the basics, programme selection etc even how how adjust from normal to 16.9.

zerks wrote: »
    Getting a message pop up along the lines of "your generic android device may have 14 viruses,click here to install a program (can't remember the name) to help remove them". I suspect it's one of the apps causing it,I think it's popcorn time but not sure.
    Anyone able to shed any light on it?

Popped up twice during a movie.

Add attached to apps, run an adblocker on your system much the same as a mobile.

dahat wrote: »
    Saorciew/free view box plus Kodi would work but if doing that any user should learn about how to use and fix issues once they show their ugly head.

It also depends on your household, alone? Kids? Etc. My 7 year old has her own menu on the ribbon and i have sub menus for her set up. I have shown her the basics, programme selection etc even how how adjust from normal to 16.9.

I think one master user and then everyone else having the ability to be able to work it once it is set up you should be ok...

There is no chance I am trying to tell my wife how to fix any issues if they show up...she doesnt have the patience to start with and also not really computer savvy

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Hi all,

Completely new to all this so no idea what sort of box to get. After reading some of the various threads I think what some were doing was buying a Saorview box so that they had the Irish channels and then buying one of the Android boxes so that they could watch whatever else they wanted? What sort of quality, generally, are the channels on these boxes since everything is being streamed? I'm sure there's probably a difference between which link you decide to use to watch whatever you want but I just wanted to get a general opinion on how good the quality is.

thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Add attached to apps, run an adblocker on your system much the same as a mobile.

Have adaway but not 100% sure on how to run it,must look at youtube (my browser doesn't crash again)

PopcornTime was the latest app I installed and the ads appeared,I uninstalled it so I'll check later if that was the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Are issues that appear easy enough to sort? I'm techy enough but never had any experience with these devices but really interested in getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

Saw an ad on fbook for the MXQ box, €124.99 for cheapest option, €129.99 for option 2.
    What a rip off!!

gibson wrote: »
    Are issues that appear easy enough to sort? I'm techy enough but never had any experience with these devices but really interested in getting one

Its mainly add on configuartions really, a willingness to look the the relevant forms to see why, how and when it will or can't be fixed by the developer.

Most folk will do that but some just don't understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Im going to give openelec a try, Can anyone link to the correct version of openelec for the mx3 2gb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54487596&postcount=1

Allyall, is that compatible with the Prometheus box?

• Advertisement

user2011 wrote: »
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54487596&postcount=1

Allyall, is that compatible with the Prometheus box?

I don't think so, unfortunately. They're usually board specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

5500 wrote: »
    Im going to give openelec a try, Can anyone link to the correct version of openelec for the mx3 2gb?

Ya I would like this also and instructions on how to do so.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Allyall wrote: »
    I don't think so, unfortunately. They're usually board specific.

: (

He mentions the SoC in the post, I googled it and Prometheus came up so 2+2= lol. I'll have to wait to try it out.

user2011 wrote: »
    : (

He mentions the SoC in the post, I googled it and Prometheus came up so 2+2= lol. I'll have to wait to try it out.

Yes, I think stane was working on an AMlinux build for the Prometheus at one stage. But when the M6 ceased production and the equally popular MX2 (G18ref) came out, I think he started working on that, as they have the same cpu, but the prometheus board is different.

The Prometheus (ATV-106) and the Visson ATV-102 can use the same firmware (1gb/512mb different), so maybe looking around, may find that somebody might have continued it.

Unfortunately they haven't moved out of his to do list.
    From here
    stane1983 wrote:
    TODO: ATV106, ATV102, MX5 and mor

(I think, but can't confirm atm, J1nx (jynxbox), Theatreinabox may have made and AMlinux XBMC build that might work with it, as long as it's the correct version (1GB or 512MB).

EDIT.
    This may be stane's most complete linux XBMC build (for these boxes). I haven't tried it. It's for the 1GB version - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=164760&page=3

5500 wrote: »

Google "Openelec mxiii 2GB"

Link: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?18924-OpenELEC-for-s82-M8-MXIII-Tronsmart-S89

Google is our friend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Wil stick with XBMC and then just put Saorview/Freeview into house just to have standard channels.....

I want to do this too but the research I did indicated that the VU+ Duo2 Linux Satellite Receiver http://www.satworld.ie/vu-duo2-linux-satellite-receiver.html was the way to go if you want Saorview (which is DTT) and UK Freesat blended onto one seven day EPG with watch one record another functionality etc but there is a very steep learning curve and it can require frequent tinkering about with to keep working. The hassle of it and the €500 price tag put me off. I'll stick with Sky for another year and see if the combi boxes improve/get easier/cheaper.

BenEadir wrote: »
    I want to do this too but the research I did indicated that the VU+ Duo2 Linux Satellite Receiver http://www.satworld.ie/vu-duo2-linux-satellite-receiver.html was the way to go if you want Saorview (which is DTT) and UK Freesat blended onto one seven day EPG with watch one record another functionality etc but there is a very steep learning curve and it can require frequent tinkering about with to keep working. The hassle of it and the €500 price tag put me off. I'll stick with Sky for another year and see if the combi boxes improve/get easier/cheaper.

Can this run both Saorview/Freesat and XBMC? or just a combi for Saorview/Freesat?

I have seen combi boxes available for about 100 euro.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Can this run both Saorview/Freesat and XBMC? or just a combi for Saorview/Freesat?

I have seen combi boxes available for about 100 euro.....

It's just Saorview/Freesat. Yes there are cheaper combi boxes but the ones I researched are quite limited e.g. one day EPG on Freesat, now/next on Saorview (or the other way round, can't remember), no PVR capability, seperate menu's or weird menus for Saorview and Freesat i.e. Freesat starts off BBC1, BBc2 etc etc (all the usual/popular stations) then all the arty/music/religious etc stations and then once all the niche Freesat stations are listed comes Rte1, RTE2 etc.

Maybe the cheap boxes have gotten better, I hope so.

If you find one that seamlessly blends Irish and UK channels into one 7 day EPG with PVR functionality including "Series Link" type recording please let me know. That's what I'm waiting for :o

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

if you have set up correctly you could replace....

Better off trying on laptop and checking first

I dont think I will renew my UPC contract this year

Mx RTE player on Xbmc gives RTE1 HD RTE 2 hd RTE news and RTE junior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

BenEadir wrote: »
    It's just Saorview/Freesat. Yes there are cheaper combi boxes but the ones I researched are quite limited e.g. one day EPG on Freesat, now/next on Saorview (or the other way round, can't remember), no PVR capability, seperate menu's or weird menus for Saorview and Freesat i.e. Freesat starts off BBC1, BBc2 etc etc (all the usual/popular stations) then all the arty/music/religious etc stations and then once all the niche Freesat stations are listed comes Rte1, RTE2 etc.

Maybe the cheap boxes have gotten better, I hope so.

If you find one that seamlessly blends Irish and UK channels into one 7 day EPG with PVR functionality including "Series Link" type recording please let me know. That's what I'm waiting for :o

Try the Gigablue, much much cheaper than a Vu. There are also other linux boxes out there. And a lot of it has to do with the image you use, eg Blackhole or Vix for example. Look at all the linux boxes Vix supports: http://www.openvix.co.uk/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement