Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

zerks wrote: »
    Have adaway but not 100% sure on how to run it,must look at youtube (my browser doesn't crash again)

PopcornTime was the latest app I installed and the ads appeared,I uninstalled it so I'll check later if that was the cause.

I had Popcorn on my laptop before. Read a lot of bad reports about it, spyware and stuff. Got rid of it sharpish. Don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

I'm sure this has been asked a load of times before, so I apologise in advance! Can someone recommend a decent android box? I already have all the sky channels, movies, sports etc through an internet sky box. Works perfect, picture perfect etc. So i want something with the same quality. I don't know much about them...do they come with everything loaded on them? Want it more so for watching box sets, movies etc than sports and RTE etc. Will connect it up to another tv in summertime in sunroom so will want sports etc then. Are they hd quality? Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mx RTE player on Xbmc gives RTE1 HD RTE 2 hd RTE news and RTE junior

Edit....seems to dead add on after a quick.Google

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

slookie wrote: »
    I already have all the sky channels, movies, sports etc through an internet sky box.

Whats an internet Sky box?

Ref Android boxes. I have a couple of Minix X8-h boxes and for streaming movies and tv series etc they are amazing. A lot depends on whether you are streaming already downloaded content from a NAS or direct from the internet (in which case you'll need an excellent broadband connection) but I use both and am very happy with them.

iba wrote: »
    Try the Gigablue, much much cheaper than a Vu. There are also other linux boxes out there. And a lot of it has to do with the image you use, eg Blackhole or Vix for example. Look at all the linux boxes Vix supports: http://www.openvix.co.uk/

Thanks IBA,

I've been toying with this idea for a long time but even the Gigablue, when configures with the extra tuners, a HDD, Wifi capability etc comes in at £375 or €480 which ain't cheap, see http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/GiGaBlue-HD-QUAD-PLUS-Linux-Enigma-2-HD-PVR-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-2-DVB-S-S2-2-C-T-T2-cable-satellite-terrestrial. I do know if I take the plunge I'll be joining the Vix community but I just can't make the €500 commitment when there is so much work involved and from the reports I've read I'm likely to be constantly fiddling with it to keep it running smooth.

• Advertisement

BenEadir wrote: »
    Whats an internet Sky box?

Ref Android boxes. I have a couple of Minix X8-h boxes and for streaming movies and tv series etc they are amazing. A lot depends on whether you are streaming already downloaded content from a NAS or direct from the internet (in which case you'll need an excellent broadband connection) but I use both and am very happy with them.

Not very techie so thats what I call it anyway! Got it on donedeal a year and half ago..paid €250 for recordable box and all the channels for €100 per year sub. Used have all hd sports etc, but can;t get them anymore.
    Ok what do you mean about streaming from a NAS. I have 3-4meg internet speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Can anyone tell me if there is any real difference between a Mag 250 and a 254? Im debating getting one of these boxes and trying to decide whether the 254 is worth the extra few quid

Not very techie so thats what I call it anyway! Got it on donedeal a year and half ago..paid €250 for recordable box and all the channels for €100 per year sub. Used have all hd sports etc, but can;t get them anymore.
    Ok what do you mean about streaming from a NAS. I have 3-4meg internet speed.

I don't think you'll be able to stream content from the Web with just a 3-4mb link, there will be a lot of buffering.

NAS = Network Attached Storage. Fancy name for a hard drive where you store all your downloaded content so you can just stream it from the NAS locally without having to worry about Internet speeds.

Anybody come across a keypad, hand held size, that is backlit.

In have two but none are backlit which would be just what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

dahat wrote: »

I got this and it's excellent

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004TQL3YS/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1420758413&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Still works,the git source is down for the overall repo.

bazzz wrote: »
    Still works,the git source is down for the overall repo.

You have the repo?

I'm currently using THIS on many devices.It's neat & tidy,works great,backlit and much more.It's very pricey in some places,I picked up mine on adverts secondhand for about €40'ish.

pcgh_online_10.png745a8c23gw1dxfszqnuiij.jpg

You have the repo?

Check your PM,sorry about going off topic here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

Working fine for me all night tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Plenty of those MXQ boxes for sale on adverts and donedeal for around €100. Are they any good? Can someone recommend something around this price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dont be grabbing my glory:P

I did ask the question after all :D:D:D:D:D:D

great news...have tried the 808B and handy little box, will be great for bringing to holiday home etc....now just to get proper BB outside Dublin

• Advertisement

Plenty of those MXQ boxes for sale on adverts and donedeal for around €100. Are they any good? Can someone recommend something around this price.

The MXQ is 37 quid from Gearbest

So they are way overpriced

Big Nelly wrote: »
    The MXQ is 37 quid from Gearbest

So they are way overpriced

Wow. But are they a good box?

Dont be grabbing my glory:P

I did ask the question after all :D:D:D:D:D:D

great news...have tried the 808B and handy little box, will be great for bringing to holiday home etc....now just to get proper BB outside Dublin

Haha! Apologies!

Now I gotta get one of these.

Wow. But are they a good box?

I had the MXQ, out on test in a mates house. It worked perfect for me.....was really impressed with it.

Haha! Apologies!

Now I gotta get one of these.

:D:D Only joking

I have 1 and I was thinkign of buying another few, went on slow boat, order 9th December and delivered 6th of Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Seems like quite a lot of you know a lot about these :)

I tried installing on my laptop to see what the interface and quality was like before looking into buying a box and I installed xbmc and then the navi-x add on. The movies selection was brilliant and really good quality very happy with that. the thing I couldnt get working though was the live stream tv. I tried different links but everytime it would just displaying the loading but never load anything, no error or anything.

have I set up something wrong or could it just be that the particular link i tried just wasn't working at that moment? if that's the case could anyone recommend addons that do have reliable live streams?

:D:D Only joking

I have 1 and I was thinkign of buying another few, went on slow boat, order 9th December and delivered 6th of Jan

I dont need one but will still get one I'd say. 2Gb MXIII is still en route so might build that and sell it for a few quid profit, buy the 808 and MXQ then!

gibson wrote: »
    Seems like quite a lot of you know a lot about these :)

I tried installing on my laptop to see what the interface and quality was like before looking into buying a box and I installed xbmc and then the navi-x add on. The movies selection was brilliant and really good quality very happy with that. the thing I couldnt get working though was the live stream tv. I tried different links but everytime it would just displaying the loading but never load anything, no error or anything.

have I set up something wrong or could it just be that the particular link i tried just wasn't working at that moment? if that's the case could anyone recommend addons that do have reliable live streams?

VDUBT25, look on You tube for details on how to install his add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

VDUBT25, look on You tube for details on how to install his add on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbF5MI2-MDE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I have an mx3 running and I'm happy enough with it but I am interested in installing openelec instead. Is there a big advantage in doing so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement