Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

dahat wrote: »
    Easier way than that bit hard to explain on mobile. Will try find a video later .

Maybe PM me direct to stop filling up thread, cheers.....

My mates MX box stays on the openelec screen when turned on now, anyone ever see this before?

When I was trying to get my MX2 back alive I seen lots of thread around on this. Issues with getting to logo and not booting. Looks like he will lose everything no matter what way he will do it but I would expect a reflash would be required. Ask on codesnake thread on Freaktab

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Big Nelly wrote: »
    When I was trying to get my MX2 back alive I seen lots of thread around on this. Issues with getting to logo and not booting. Looks like he will lose everything no matter what way he will do it but I would expect a reflash would be required. Ask on codesnake thread on Freaktab

So extract openelec to SD card, and do the match in the reset button at the back of the box trick?

So extract openelec to SD card, and do the match in the reset button at the back of the box trick?

Yeah, but Im not expert. It is only based on what I read when I was trying to get my MX back working. Best option is to ask on freaktab. The guys on there are installing OpenELEC daily....

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

ive dipped in and out of this thread a few times and havent caught up completely.... i want to buy a box to play movies, add rte player etc..

what is the general concensus on what is the best and best value?... There seem to be so many types im bamboozled :)

• Advertisement

boardie100 wrote: »
    ive dipped in and out of this thread a few times and havent caught up completely.... i want to buy a box to play movies, add rte player etc..

what is the general concensus on what is the best and best value?... There seem to be so many types im bamboozled :)

Question I am asking at the moment which seems to affect choice, how far is your router from where you will be installing the box, will it be on wifi or direct connect

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Has anyone here installed Open Elec on the MXIII 2gb?

Has anyome found a good Android ROM for the same device?

I'm unsure what to use as I already have the M8 on Open Elec.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Did you install the open elec yourself?

Did you install the open elec yourself?

Yes, on 2 boxes plus updated the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Question I am asking at the moment which seems to affect choice, how far is your router from where you will be installing the box, will it be on wifi or direct connect

hmmmm, it will be on wifi, router is in back room of a bungalow,..... i have good wifi and no problems using chromecasr if that makes any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So would the Pipo X7 be a big upgrade on an MX3 2gb? Really like the look of it and prefer windows over any OS. Would XBMC/KODI performance be markedly better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Im running it here at the moment, I used the s82 build here - http://www.amlinux.ru/image/5.0.0/

I haven't noted any problems in the few days Ii have been running it all is ok.

I'm looking at the pipo x7 myself here too but wondering if its just overkill for my needs

boardie100 wrote: »
    hmmmm, it will be on wifi, router is in back room of a bungalow,..... i have good wifi and no problems using chromecasr if that makes any difference?

Some of the boxes will struggle on wifi. This include the MXQ, not sure about the MXIII. They are cheaper boxes but you might end up buying powerlink adpaters

The Minix is supposed to have good wifi but I have never tested

Any of the Intel based systems would have good wifi from what I have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

FFS Got stung for €22 by customs for my MX3 from gearbest ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

My 2 got through UK customs grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

is anyone using the sumvision x4 box????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I bought an MBox M8 but having trouble with the Wifi being very week, even when connected to 5G wifi. Does anyone have a fix for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    My 2 got through UK customs grand.

Has anyone managed to avoid customs with DHL? Does it make any difference?

kjl wrote: »
    I bought an MBox M8 but having trouble with the Wifi being very week, even when connected to 5G wifi. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Only Ethernet connection I'd say, M8 has that problem across all firmware asfaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Invincible

Has anyone managed to avoid customs with DHL? Does it make any difference?

I did last July but was lucky by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 southlower13

I am after a quad core tv box for xbmc, been overwhelmed with the sheer amount of boxes and various price ranges out there. Could anyone recommend a good box and a dependable site to order from..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Was that DHL or slowboat from China?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭branners69

For those interested in the MINIX x8-h, since the beta firmware update it has been working like a dream. I havent needed to upgrade to the official firmware yet. It streams flawlessly from a hard drive attached to my WDTV Live, no longer have any issues with Netflix or crashes/reboots!

It is a lot more expensive than some of the boxes being discussed but for me it was worth it.

I also agree to get the best out of any box you need to understand Kodi\Xbmc, what works one day won't nesseccarily being working the next, but sure isn't that the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Me too, €21, still only €81 all in. So far so good. Impressive little Android Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Was that DHL or slowboat from China?

Mine was slowpost via PostNL, then An Post sent it to customs where it stayed for 2 bloomin' weeks.

ciarsd wrote: »
    Me too, €21, still only €81 all in. So far so good. Impressive little Android Box.

Ah feck, I have one on way to Ireland, should be here today so will fully expect a €20 hit.

Had hoped to sell it but hard to make a few quid off €80 ish cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

Anyone know if it's possible to get an MXiii repaired here? Only had mine a week and it seems to have been fried by the adapter plug that came with it. Don't think returning it to Gearbest is an option due to costing about €20 to post it back to them and then getting hit again for another €24 Customs & An Post fees when it gets returned to me or replaced for a new one.

colcatscar wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to get an MXiii repaired here? Only had mine a week and it seems to have been fried by the adapter plug that came with it. Don't think returning it to Gearbest is an option due to costing about €20 to post it back to them and then getting hit again for another €24 Customs & An Post fees when it gets returned to me or replaced for a new one.

I would just ask for a refund in that case. How did the adaptor plug fry it?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

colcatscar wrote: »

You've already paid all the taxes on it, so I doubt you'd have to pay it again. May still get stung for the handling fee though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

ciarsd wrote: »
    Mine was slowpost via PostNL, then An Post sent it to customs where it stayed for 2 bloomin' weeks.

Damn!, I've an x8-h plus on the way with postNL, the thing has been showing up on postNL as :

Sat Jan 10 201504:58NLSent to country of destination

It shipped from Gearbest on the 12th of Dec, if it gets held up in customs as long as yours, I'll be lucky to see it by bloody Easter!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement