Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

branners69 wrote: »
    For those interested in the MINIX x8-h, since the beta firmware update it has been working like a dream. I havent needed to upgrade to the official firmware yet. It streams flawlessly from a hard drive attached to my WDTV Live, no longer have any issues with Netflix or crashes/reboots!

It is a lot more expensive than some of the boxes being discussed but for me it was worth it.

I also agree to get the best out of any box you need to understand Kodi\Xbmc, what works one day won't nesseccarily being working the next, but sure isn't that the fun!

What's it like off Wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I also agree to get the best out of any box you need to understand Kodi\Xbmc, what works one day won't nesseccarily being working the next, but sure isn't that the fun!

I agree here, it does throw up some odd things from time to time but nothing that I would say should scare off a new users. It is also perfect for me because I love a bit of a challenge :D

I would say if you have a good idea on XBMC you should try out new things all the time, I am constantly trying out new functions etc to get to my perfect XBMC set up...this week it was OpenELEC and new skins. I have done the max with Confluence so I am trying a new one...

Based on dahat recommendation I have tried Aeon Nox and when I first changed I was saying not a chance, don't like this. Then got into the menu and the ability to mess around with the functions....loving it at the moment....

Point is to get the best out of XBMC you need to try and test thing. Keep an eye on forums etc for idea's....

I ordered my first box 12 months ago, 19th of Jan 14, page 9 of this thread :eek: and since I got I have been messing around, have had some major disasters and had to refresh full install but practice makes perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gar

Hi All,

I ordered and received an MXIII and an F10 Pro mouse. Both skipped through customs!!
    Now seeing as this thread is a mish mash of boxes and I'm having trouble navigating it could someone please give me some links or a guide to getting it set up nicely. (i have not even opened the boxes)
    Ill give the android a go first as I have some apks i use... ahem.
    I have a jailbroken atv2 which this is replacing and have never really done much with xbmc except use one addon.

what im looking for is where people get firmware / roms / info in general. could not find much in xda (didnt try very hard)

any follow up posts appreciated or PMs if certain stuff cant be posted.

Thanks,

Gar

Beast of a box....showing as not available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭dahat

gar wrote: »
    Hi All,

I ordered and received an MXIII and an F10 Pro mouse. Both skipped through customs!!
    Now seeing as this thread is a mish mash of boxes and I'm having trouble navigating it could someone please give me some links or a guide to getting it set up nicely. (i have not even opened the boxes)
    I have a jailbroken atv2 which this is replacing and have never really done much with xbmc except use one addon.

what im looking for is where people get firmware / roms / info in general. could not find much in xda (didnt try very hard)

Thanks,

Gar

This has really good guides and instructions for all stuff you will need.
    https://seo-michael.co.uk/tag/xbmc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Beast of a box....showing as not available
    At GBP 68 I'm not surprised they sold out. Might be worth seeing if they restock.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

dahat wrote: »
    I would just ask for a refund in that case. How did the adaptor plug fry it?

Got myself an mxiii from Gearbest for Christmas but only got round to using it last week. I'm not tech savvy but managed to put on istr**m to get started (thank god for Youtube ). Anyway, started watching a film Friday night. Turned off box and went to bed.
    Saturday night went to watch the end of the film but couldn't turn on the box. Disconnected all cables, reconnected and tried again. Nothing. Tried cocktail stick into av port as per google somewhere but still nothing. Then noticed box was very warm where power cable goes in and that plug itself was very warm also.
    There should be a red light that comes on when the unit is plugged in and then a blue light when you actually switch it on. At the moment I am getting nothing.
    The adapter plug has started to get hot to touch after about 10 mins when you plug it in and the box itself got a lot hotter than I would expect in the area around the power connection. It's more than what I would call warm.
    Tried a Hardly Normal shop in Naas on the hunt for an adapter. The chap I was dealing with was excellent. The adapter was €25, he would do it for €20 after I told him what it was for. I asked him would he try it out on the box (which I brought with me) in case it didn't work 'cos this would save me a return trip. No problem. He tried it out but still got no power / lights on the box.

Sorry about the long winded reply, (some cut & paste) but that's where I'm at at the moment. Like I said I'm not tech savvy and was impressed by the MXiii for the couple of nights I had it working but am a bit pissed off now.

Sounds fried alright. Bloody hope that doesn't happen mine...

I sold a 1gb MXIII which hasn't had that problem so far.

Might be worth getting yourself a proper power adapter.

• Advertisement

colcatscar wrote: »
    Might be worth getting yourself a proper power adapter.

Good idea. €25 quid you said yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What's it like off Wifi?

I can't speak for that particular box but the WiFi on the Neo X7 is excellent, it picks up more of my neighbours networks than any device I've ever used in the house. I would imagine it's at least as good.

I wasn't too impressed with the box itself or the support for it from the manufacturer. Ended up getting a Lenovo Q190 and it just pisses all over it, not as cheap as an Android box but the performance, on XBMC especially, is so much better.

Good idea. €25 quid you said yeah?

I'm pretty sure you would get one cheaper. Just make sure it's the correct voltage and current eg 5 volt 2 amp. Most of them come with different connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

gar wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    I have mine due tomorrow
    Google this guy " vdubt25 " has great video tutorials on how to set up your mx (sorry no link bloody phone won't allow me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Worth keeping an eye on it, looks interesting for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

What's it like off Wifi?

Perfect on and off wifi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Perfect on and off wifi!

Sweet, Mine's arrived "In country" Looking forward to getting my hands on it now............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

I can't speak for that particular box but the WiFi on the Neo X7 is excellent, it picks up more of my neighbours networks than any device I've ever used in the house. I would imagine it's at least as good.

I wasn't too impressed with the box itself or the support for it from the manufacturer. Ended up getting a Lenovo Q190 and it just pisses all over it, not as cheap as an Android box but the performance, on XBMC especially, is so much better.

I have an Neo x7 in the bedroom and it can struggle sometimes, but the wife mainly uses it and she is delighted with it! I put Quickshot V2 on it when I got it so I am sure it is due an updated firmware which would help.
    Sweet, Mine's arrived "In country" Looking forward to getting my hands on it now............

You shouldnt be disappointed, just make sure you have the most up to date and stable firmware on it. It can be a pain installing loads of apps, just to realise you need to update the firmware and re-install everything!

I wonder if the x8 plus is as big a jump as from the x7 to the x8? I might pick one up for the kids playroom, but they already have an Apple TV, WDTV Live and a laptop with Xbmc so it might not be needed!

Enjoy your new toy when you get it!

Just ordered the MQX on the slow boat, €37, couldn't leave one there for that price. ..

Bloody hope the MXIII escapes Mr Customs tomorrow, fingers crossed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Just ordered the MQX on the slow boat, €37, couldn't leave one there for that price. ..

Damn it!

Now I want one.

I keep promising the next one will be the last!

• Advertisement

Damn it!

Now I want one.

I keep promising the next one will be the last!

Much the same as me really!

No real plans for this really as depends on the MXIII, if that escapes customs I may pit OE on it, build and sell it to help work towards something dearer and along the lines of a mini PC eventually.

OpenElec will be available by the time it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 11 southlower13

Considering splashing out on the minix neo x8h +, is it worth the extra cash or overpriced..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Folks

is there any summary around here of these boxes for newbies and non-tech heads like myself?

I'm interested in getting something that would have the Irish channels ( to be able to see the News etc) and the sports channels (how do you get sky sports for example-who do you pay the subscription to?). Movies also.
    Do these boxes need regular updates etc and how hard is that to put through?
    Looking at smarttvbox.ie for example, how do I chose the best box?

Any 'guide' post for newbies would be greatly appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Get a box throw fusion from tv addons & xfinity from xunity talk onto it.

Not sure if I can say anymore after that without getting a ban. Everything you need should be on them sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Get a box throw fusion from tv addons & xfinity from xunity talk onto it.

Not sure if I can say anymore after that without getting a ban. Everything you need should be on them sites.

Thanks. Didn't think there was anything untoward about these boxes so apologies for asking anything that may have breached the rules.

Would the Neo X8-H box be the best out there at present? Buy that and then add the software mentioned above...and your up and running?

jay0109 wrote: »
    Folks

is there any summary around here of these boxes for newbies and non-tech heads like myself?

I'm interested in getting something that would have the Irish channels ( to be able to see the News etc) and the sports channels (how do you get sky sports for example-who do you pay the subscription to?). Movies also.
    Do these boxes need regular updates etc and how hard is that to put through?
    Looking at smarttvbox.ie for example, how do I chose the best box?

Any 'guide' post for newbies would be greatly appreciated...

Alot of stuff on Youtube, was thinking if I get the chance to actually do a beginners guide and sticking on youtube.....

Another box gone to Customs, Mrs Dahat will not be best pleased after only buying the MXQ yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/English-Version-high-power-wireless-router-wifi-repeater-300mbps-WDS-booster-extender-home-network-with-3/2029681383.html

Hi, I am looking for some help. I have eircom fibreoptic broadband and two android boxes.

1. The first is a Minix Neo X5 mini connected by ethernet to the tv, runs great, located in sittingroom.

2. The 2nd is an MX2 Gbox connecting through wifi and located in the bedroom about 30 feet from the router. It works ok, but find the signal in the evenings a bit dodgy.

So my question is would the above booster help with the wifi signal in the bedroom, or would it be useless. It's January so my budget is very very low. Thanks :confused:

• Advertisement

Another box gone to Customs, Mrs Dahat will not be best pleased after only buying the MXQ yesterday.

Tell them nothing....Miss BN at this stage doesn't even ask :p I just get a text with "ANOTHER delivery for you" the capitals are supposed to make me feel bad or something, water off a ducks back I say

She only gets upset if the box is not up and running when she wants it for something :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement