Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters?

• 22-10-2013 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

My dog is due is annual booster injections. This is our first dog and first time getting boosters. I would like to know what boosters he needs and in what form? I know he will need Kennel Cough but what else...Is the booster just one injection that covers him for everything or is it multiple injections. Roughly how much will this cost.

Thank You
    Kat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

All vets prices vary so its best to ring the one you use.

You are probably talking roughly 40-60 for a booster on its own and maybe up to 70-80 with Kennel Cough.

You dont have to get the Kennel Cough. This is only a requirement for dogs going into Kennels so just bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Katrina101

Thank you for the feedback ..Its good to have a rough idea...we will probably have to put the little guy in kennels over the Christmas period :( So will get everything done on the same day. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭spur

Do shop around though - the prices vary a lot.

I get my 2 done every year, vac & kc. The vac is €25, KC is €15. It's €40 for one dog, €80 for 2. There are other threads on here about the costs and some vets do deals with you're getting both together or for more than 1 dog etc. My vet just has this pricing and however you mix it up, works out the same.

Make sure you have a card and that the vet puts the stickers onto the card and stamps it (you probably have this from the initial vacs anyway) - but if you're putting him into kennels, you will (should) be asked to show this.

I'm not sure where you're based - the vet above is in Co. Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think ours were around €55-65..but I was getting puppy vaccinations around the same time so can't be sure. Our vet treats it like an annual checkup and examines them from head to two so it's €42 for the exam and then whatever the vaccinations cost. Ours doesn't give everthing every year - it's lepto evey year and then the others every 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

got my dogs booster shot yesterday - 1 shot - he didnt need kennel cough (we dont use kennels) (OP FYI if you dont know, KC vaccine is squirted up the dogs nose) - it was E39. my other dog is elderly so vet & I are in agreement he doesnt need to be vacc at this stage. but was interested to hear from the vet, that in US they are starting to only vacc every 3 years now. He went on to discuss things like immunity and the effectiveness of vaccines etc. But this is probably a discussion thats been had before and/or for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Kennel cough is something of a misnomer. Canine cough would probably be more accurate. Your dog doesn't have to be in kennels to catch it. My two doglets got it last winter and they weren't anywhere near kennels, or training classes, or anywhere else that dogs congregate in numbers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You can do DIY vacs, a vetinery supply store will supply you with what you need (€15)

If they do, they are breaking the law. Vax are only given by a vet, with very good reason.

boomerang wrote: »
    If they do, they are breaking the law. Vax are only given by a vet, with very good reason.

Also if you have insurance they need to be done by the vet and stamped etc. I've heard of policies being cancelled because the owner had missed a vaccination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Kennel cough is something of a misnomer. Canine cough would probably be more accurate. Your dog doesn't have to be in kennels to catch it. My two doglets got it last winter and they weren't anywhere near kennels, or training classes, or anywhere else that dogs congregate in numbers!

no, I meant that we dont need to have the Kennel Cough vacc as we dont go to kennels - just about every kennel demands that an incoming dog is vacc for Kennel Cough. As you say though, one of my dogs who had been KC vaccinated for many years actually got kennel cough a couple of years ago (no where near kennels etc) - the cough sounded nasty but wasnt dibilitating or anything - strangely the other dogs didnt get it from him (although our doggie neighbours treated us like pariahs with the plague!!!!!!!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just wondering what law is being broken here?

I ask because I know a vet that sells the vaccinations to people for them to give to the dogs themselves.

That said, he sold them to one person I know for €15. My local vet only charges €10 for the vaccination as part of a yearly check up so I informed this person that his vet wasn't exactly giving him value for money.

Lemlin wrote: »
    That said, he sold them to one person I know for €15. My local vet only charges €10 for the vaccination as part of a yearly check up so I informed this person that his vet wasn't exactly giving him value for money.

Yeah you're right ours are less than €10 I think... EDIT just went back thru my statement €13 for vaccination+KC

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah you're right ours are less than €10 I think... EDIT just went back thru my statement €13 for vaccination+KC

But the poster above stated, as well as ripping a customer off, the vet was breaking the law, Im just wondering what law?

We have a habit in this country of saying this breaks the law and that breaks the law but nobody ever stops and wonders what law or if it really is a breach. The post above got 4 thanks so I'm just wondering if someone could confirm what law says a vet can't sell the vaccination privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

But the poster above stated, as well as ripping a customer off, the vet was breaking the law, Im just wondering what law?

We have a habit in this country of saying this breaks the law and that breaks the law but nobody ever stops and wonders what law or if it really is a breach. The post above got 4 thanks so I'm just wondering if someone could confirm what law says a vet can't sell the vaccination privately.

It's been mentioned on previous threads, with the relevant law

muddypaws wrote: »
    It's been mentioned on previous threads, with the relevant law

Any chance of a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I had a look through the last 3 pages of this forum, but couldn't see anything that looked like it might be the right thread. But there have been a few about vaccinations etc. I'm sure whoever said it was illegal will be back on later with the relevant legal info, was it Boomerang? She's usually on in the evenings, after work etc. :)

It's the Veterinary Practice Act, 2005.

As vaccines are prescription-only medicines, if you wish to buy them at a chemist, you must have a prescription from your vet. Likewise if the vet gives vaccines to his clients (which IMO is wrong) he must likewise issue a prescription.

In either case, the vaccination card will be invalid, as it requires that the vet administer the vaccine and sign to that effect.

Even veterinary nurses cannot administer a vaccine and then sign for the vaccination on a vaccination card. The only vaccine they are allowed to give is the second of the two primary vaccinations such as given to puppies and kittens.

Just because a vet is giving out vaccines for clients to administer themselves doesn't mean it's appropriate. There is more to administering a vaccine than just a quick jab between the shoulder blades. I've given the reasons in a previous thread so no need to repeat them here. I say that as someone who previously worked in a rescue who did administer all the vaccines themselves. There are very good reasons for giving vets the monopoly on vaccinations and it goes above and beyond what a lot of clients suspect is purely money-spinning.

It's the Veterinary Practice Act, 2005.

As vaccines are prescription-only medicines, if you wish to buy them at a chemist, you must have a prescription from your vet. Likewise if the vet gives vaccines to his clients (which IMO is wrong) he must likewise issue a prescription.

In either case, the vaccination card will be invalid, as it requires that the vet administer the vaccine and sign to that effect.

Even veterinary nurses cannot administer a vaccine and then sign for the vaccination on a vaccination card. The only vaccine they are allowed to give is the second of the two primary vaccinations such as given to puppies and kittens.

Just because a vet is giving out vaccines for clients to administer themselves doesn't mean it's appropriate. There is more to administering a vaccine than just a quick jab between the shoulder blades. I've given the reasons in a previous thread so no need to repeat them here. I say that as someone who previously worked in a rescue who did administer all the vaccines themselves. There are very good reasons for giving vets the monopoly on vaccinations and it goes above and beyond what a lot of clients suspect is purely money-spinning.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0022/index.html

Could you point to the part of the Act which states it is illegal though? I've found the act and had a quick search of it and it makes no reference to the words "booster" or "vaccination".

The only reference to the word "prescription" is "prescription of educational qualifications for registration". Which has nothing to do with this subject.

Sorry Lemlin, I thought of it again today and I believe it's in the 2012 amendment. I haven't studied it since college!

Also worth pointing out the 1993 Animal Remedies act, which states that if a vet issues a prescription for a vaccine or any other POM, the animal must be in the vet's care and have been clinically assessed.

A pharmacist can sell a vaccine, but only in accordance with the veterinary prescription, which must be presented by the customer or faxed in by the vet.

Retail premises other than pharmacies can apply for an animal remedies merchant’s licence. (Typically dairy co-ops). They can sell certain prescription-only veterinary medicines (including some small animal vaccines) so long as a vet oversees their sale and the customer provides the retailer with a prescription from the animal's vet.

For future reference:

NB The list does not include the caution that live vaccines can cause the illness being vaccinated against if administered incorrectly. Live vaccines can also have the effect of infecting other, unvaccinated pets in the home.

Incorrect handling and storage of the vaccination increases the risk of adverse reactions.

1. A severe, life-threatening anaphylactic reaction can occur after a vaccination. The reaction may require rapid medical intervention to save the animal's life.

2. Improper handling of vaccines or syringes can result in infections at the injection site as well as post-vaccine fibromas.

3. If a vaccine intended for subcutaneous administration is accidentally delivered intravenously, or an intra-nasal vaccine given parenterally, a life-threatening reaction may occur.

4. The vaccine may not be effective for any of the following reasons:

(a) It is outdated
    (b) Left unrefrigerated too long
    (c) Mixed with diluent and then not promptly administered
    (d) The syringe has residue or contaminants in it
    (e) Alcohol is swabbed on the skin prior to vaccinating
    (f) Vaccine is exposed to sunlight, heat, or freezing

5. The proper route of administration is important. If the vaccine is administered in the skin rather than under the skin when the subcutaneous route is indicated or if given in or under the skin when the intra-muscular route is indicated ... the vaccine may not be effective in inducing immunity.

6. Some brands of vaccines are more effective than others.

7. No vaccine manufacturer guarantees that every animal vaccinated will produce protective antibody. There is a wide range of responses possible to each vaccination.

8. With reference to the USA: If you vaccinate your own animal for rabies, state public health and law enforcement officials do not recognize your vaccination as valid. You and the animal will be treated as if NO rabies vaccine was administered. To be recognized as a legal and valid vaccination, Rabies vaccine must be administered by a currently licensed veterinarian in accordance with established state protocol.

8. With reference to the USA: If you vaccinate someone else's animal and they pay you for the favor, you are considered by state statutes to be in violation of the law. Only a licensed veterinarian may legally receive a fee for administering vaccinations.

9. Syringes and needles are considered hazardous waste and may be disposed of only in accordance with regulations. They may NOT be disposed of with ordinary garbage nor in a landfill.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_vaccinating_your_own_dog

• Advertisement

Sorry Lemlin, I thought of it again today and I believe it's in the 2012 amendment. I haven't studied it since college!

Also worth pointing out the 1993 Animal Remedies act, which states that if a vet issues a prescription for a vaccine or any other POM, the animal must be in the vet's care and have been clinically assessed.

A pharmacist can sell a vaccine, but only in accordance with the veterinary prescription, which must be presented by the customer or faxed in by the vet.

Retail premises other than pharmacies can apply for an animal remedies merchant’s licence. (Typically dairy co-ops). They can sell certain prescription-only veterinary medicines (including some small animal vaccines) so long as a vet oversees their sale and the customer provides the retailer with a prescription from the animal's vet.

Can you link any of this back to the Act and quote it? You stated it was illegal but I've yet to see the actual law quoted.

I'm also confused with your remark re the 2012 Amendment. You say you haven't studied it since college like that was some time ago but if the amendment was only made in 2012 that's just twelve months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Can you link any of this back to the Act and quote it? You stated it was illegal but I've yet to see the actual law quoted.

I'm also confused with your remark re the 2012 Amendment. You say you haven't studied it since college like that was some time ago but if the amendment was only made in 2012 that's just twelve months ago.

This debate here happens to be about a booster vac for a dog, but to expand it a little: I would regularly get vaccinations from our own Vet, on prescription, to be administered by myself (and thousands like me) to our livestock.
    This would be absolutely standard practice. I don't believe either the Vet or myself are in breach of any legislation. ( It goes without saying that the proper paper trail is maintained)

Bizzum wrote: »
    This debate here happens to be about a booster vac for a dog, but to expand it a little: I would regularly get vaccinations from our own Vet, on prescription, to be administered by myself (and thousands like me) to our livestock.
    This would be absolutely standard practice. I don't believe either the Vet or myself are in breach of any legislation. ( It goes without saying that the proper paper trail is maintained)

Thanks. I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here to be honest. The user has stated something is illegal yet in several posts since hasn't be able to quote the exact law or ruling which states it.

In fact, they first pointed me to a piece of legislation which makes no reference to vaccinations or boosters.

They may indeed be correct with what they've stated but they have yet to show it.

The user has stated something is illegal yet in several posts since hasn't be able to quote the exact law or ruling which states it.

They may indeed be correct with what they've stated but they have yet to show it.

Having gone through The veterinary practice act 2005 inc the 2012 amendment act, I can see nothing preventing me vaccinating my stock, using a prescribed vac from our own vet.

Bizzum wrote: »
    Having gone through The veterinary practice act 2005 inc the 2012 amendment act, I can see nothing preventing me vaccinating my stock, using a prescribed vac from our own vet.

I would imagine the same. Sadly the person who made the outlandish claim appears to have scarpered.

I would imagine the same. Sadly the person who made the outlandish claim appears to have scarpered.

Maybe they have better things to do than argue with you? :pac:

Oh for god's sake!

You try to provide information to further a debate and this is the thanks...

Because now the crux of the matter comes down to whether one person can prove outright to you with the precise subsection of a subsection? May I suggest YOU do the research rather than pettishly waiting for someone to prove it to you? I'm done. Contact the Veterinary Council if you're that bothered.

Oh for god's sake!

You try to provide information to further a debate and this is the thanks...

Because now the crux of the matter comes down to whether one person can prove outright to you with the precise subsection of a subsection? May I suggest YOU do the research rather than pettishly waiting for someone to prove it to you? I'm done. Contact the Veterinary Council if you're that bothered.

Could you possibly have gotten it wrong?

(I'm not suggesting you are mind. It would be a dangerous suggestion to make to a woman.)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

A fellow brave! Too right ,armchair solicitors I call them. They have the half the country afraid of their own shadows.
    On this particular point it may be against the law but it will mushroom a hundred scare stories too and I challenge anyone to find a conviction for said offence. Don't j walk in o Connell st. either it's also against the law. The courts are full of offenders from transgressors. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay, let's calm things down here. Not everyone can dedicate lots of time to posting here, or are confined to waiting til they're finished work before they can address issues. This does not mean the they have "scarpered", for goodness sake.
    Quit the haranguing everyone. It is entirely possible to make your points without belittling or haranguing other posters.
    Do not reply to this post on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement