Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nether - yet another survival game

Options
  • 22-10-2013 1:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive played DAYZ so much,its awesome so inevitably i compare all survival games to it.
    Then we had WarZ now known as Infestation, reviews are terrible.
    I never played it so cant comment but the tension DAYZ can create is something ive never experienced in a game.
    This one sure looks decent though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

This isn't another WarZ rename, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No, this is actually looking pretty good. kind of aiming more at a Stalker type game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Agreed that does look good, but that guy doing the letsplay is irritating as hell, he actually NEVER shuts up and allows you to hear what's going on in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Agreed that does look good, but that guy doing the letsplay is irritating as hell, he actually NEVER shuts up and allows you to hear what's going on in the game.

"EHMEGERD LISTEN TO THE SCROTEYS! LISTEN! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

This peaked my interest but hearing reports its going to be a similar crash grab to warZ.

Hope it's not. Really like the setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what the interesting one coming out which has a minecraft feel to it so you can build stake pits for the Z's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Skerries wrote: »
    what the interesting one coming out which has a minecraft feel to it so you can build stake pits for the Z's?

State of Decay?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive played DAYZ so much,its awesome...

the tension DAYZ can create is something ive never experienced in a game.

I've never played Day Z but from what I've seen of it, it seems to involve a lot of running here and there. Long periods of apparent boredom and occasional looting or scavenging, punctuated by the occasional run in with another player maybe who'll take all your sh*t at gunpoint. Is it one of those games that you need to find a good server for or have a good gang of mates to play it with over teamspeak, similar to the way Left 4 Dead supposedly needs to be enjoyed (a game which I did play but didn't quite get what the fuss was either)?

Skerries wrote: »
    7 days to die

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Taylor365 wrote: »
    7 days to die

that's the one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Beta access is available on Steam right now. Blurb from the devs;
    “Nether is officially in early access, and those brave enough can test their skills in this unique, first-person urban survival game where danger lurks around every corner.

With the early access, players will receive a solid, but not yet final version of the game. It will be fun as hell, but don't expect that it will be perfect 100 percent of the time. Since it is early access, Nether is also not ready to be reviewed. Players entering early access will receive 72-hour guest game keys for friends as well as other in-game perks.

As one of the first players in the game, your feedback will play a vital role in helping us create the best survival gaming experience possible. We'll be regularly updating Nether with new content, fine-tuning game play and adding community-selected features. To make sure changes don’t blindside you, we’ll post what’s new with each update on this page as well as our social media channels.

Don’t be afraid to share your feedback – all of it helps and will only make the game better. You can send your thoughts and ideas to us via social media or on our forums at forums.playnether.com.
    Current Development Roadmap of Features:

Vehicles
    Realistic Crafting
    Gadget Crafting
    Farming
    Harvesting
    World Objective: Wanted
    World Objective: Supply Runs

Please visit forums.playnether.com to help us determine what's important to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Watching it on twitch, looks decent enough. 25 quid though, might wait till a steam sale to pick it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone Interested in this ?

https://www.playnether.com/index.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

It's on sale now. Did you pick it up?

Didn't realise it was :O I may just do it

You any interest in it?

Didn't realise it was :O I may just do it

You any interest in it?

I'm trying to decide. I wasn't planning on getting anything in the steam sale this year. But the GF got me a 50 euro steam voucher. :)
    I have enough left for this.

Nice :)

Bought it over lunch. Will have to wait until later to check it out.

Its still in alpha?

• Advertisement

Its still in alpha?

Yeah, although some of the forum posts on steam are talking about a beta. It couldn't be in beta yet as they have a few features to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's not without problems, mostly the menu-side of things. The server list is cursed with almighty lag and freezing of controls, the graphics and control options need some serious work (if you don't play at one of the specified resolutions or you want to change the keys you'll have to edit the config files) and the auto-updating client is prone to downloading the whole file, declaring it corrupt and beginning again for hours on end.

Once you finally get into a game though, there's some serious potential to be seen. It's pretty, the vertical element of being able to explore so many tall buildings is refreshing, and the nethers themselves are well-designed. The newish Golems are walking tanks, you'd need a team to take them down, or a few lucky shots with a sniper, if you like being boring and scummy.

There's a lot to like in there, but initial setup was a massive f*cking pain for me.

Sarky wrote: »
    It's not without problems, mostly the menu-side of things. The server list is cursed with almighty lag and freezing of controls, the graphics and control options need some serious work (if you don't play at one of the specified resolutions or you want to change the keys you'll have to edit the config files) and the auto-updating client is prone to downloading the whole file, declaring it corrupt and beginning again for hours on end.

Once you finally get into a game though, there's some serious potential to be seen. It's pretty, the vertical element of being able to explore so many tall buildings is refreshing, and the nethers themselves are well-designed. The newish Golems are walking tanks, you'd need a team to take them down, or a few lucky shots with a sniper, if you like being boring and scummy.

There's a lot to like in there, but initial setup was a massive f*cking pain for me.

are there many other people playing it when you log on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Last time I played there were somewhere around a dozen people logged in. The one safe zone on the map had been compromised so we teamed up to fix the generators and get it working again, which was nice. I'm used to avoiding every player I see because they'll usually be a worthless jerkbag and stab you in the back for no reason, but the forced cooperation thing works pretty well to negate that, for a little while at least.

There are a whole lot of servers around, with varying populations. I wouldn't be difficult to find one with a decent number of players.

It's worth noting that a couple of servers seem to have restrictions on loot, making it really thin on the ground. First server I played on I starved to death 3-4 times because there just wasn't any food available at all. There are random loot drops about the city (which really is quite big) every half hour or so, and a "Nether surge" which is essentially a spawned mob of extra tough gribblies often led by something tougher, there's loot to be found there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I picked up the lowest price package on the steam sale.

It feels very "War Z" to me.

Started my 1st life, spawned in a building at night. Walked out the door and was shot in the back.

Then took me while to figure out why I couldn't spawn with a new character. Basically, you have to delete your character and start again. When I confirmed I wanted to delete my character it didn't update on the menu, but I was able to spawn again.

Next time around I strolled around and picked up some loot, which is luminous, you can see stuff a mile away. Then every player I saw proceeded to try and attack me. I had a pistol, I turn around and see a dude up on a train track. He starts to back away and I turn around and continue on my way. A few metres later I turn around and he is making a beeline for me with a bat. I shoot him once and he dies. I continue on with similar instances of guys trying to chase me with knives, etc. One funny thing did happen, a guy started to chase me from about 30 feet away and next thing some of the monsters appeared around a corner and started swamping him. Serves him right.

I died a few mins later when a giant creature spawned in front of me and swatted away all my shotgun shells.

Honestly from the couple of hours playing, it's meh.

I don't think it'll be any alternative to DayZ, at least as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Epi

I picked it up a few days ago as well.

I've been playing it mainly for the last few days and yes, it truly is like DayZ (which is awesome), but has more potential IMO. The atmosphere is really gloomy and dark and keeps me more on track (while DayZ does tend to get boring at times..)

Again, it's one of those games where you kinda start to fear your Server-mates more than the monsters.

What I do like more is the skill system (and the variety of "skills" you can take), the "Nether Surges", and the safe zones.. when leaving them you do need to make sure that you look around...people like to camp in the high rises and sniper.

Like I said... it has potential... and I prefer it a bit more than DayZ (at least at the Standalone's current state). :)

I played it for a while yesterday. It's ok. The configuration options aren't the best. No keyboard mapping option yet. I had to put the graphics down to low to get a good frame rate. I can't get my headset working with the voice chat which is a pain because apparently people will shout at you to stay away. This meant I ended up running away from everyone I saw.

I was killed once by someone who followed me out of the safe zone. I've also heard snipers taking shots at me when I was entering and leaving it. I'm assuming you get XP for killing other players because there is plenty of loot around. Unless they're looking for stuff that can only be purchased.

It also has courier missions were you pick up a package at one safe zone and have to carry it to another. I found that when I was carrying them, every monster in the area would chase after me.

To get the best of it I think you'd really need to play with a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hey came accross this on steam quite cheep.

just wondering has any one played this or got any opinions? or is it a bit of a fad??

I looked at a video on you tube and it looks ok but doesn't seem to have much of a fan base Im just curious, any opinions or thoughts would be great.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I gave it a go with a guest pass a while back. Simply put it's OK.

It's nothing fantastic but it's not necessarily crap either. The game however does have a huge hacker problem.

If it's cheap it might be worth picking up as down the line it might become alot better. Judging from the map it will be quite immense but at the same time what good will a big map be if there's nothing to put in it (which the game can feel very 'empty' most times)

It's essentially a PvP game with PvE elements rather than the other way around like most MMO games. But the PvE elements are alot stronger in this than say the DayZ SA is in its current state.

Advertisement