Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live at the Marquee 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hurrah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Lana Del Ray and Imelda May added.

Oh, and Bob Dylan back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just looking up Land del Ray god shes a bit depressing no!! Need more classics there

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nwalsh16

Was just wondering if anyone could give me information at live at the marquee, Like what are the transport links like and best hotel to stay in if i was to go.
    Trying to find information about it online is practically impossible!
    Is it all seating? How big is the venue? Is it indoor or outdoor?
    Want to get information before i buy tickets you know!
    I NEED HELP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

nwalsh16 wrote: »
    Was just wondering if anyone could give me information at live at the marquee, Like what are the transport links like and best hotel to stay in if i was to go.
    Trying to find information about it online is practically impossible!
    Is it all seating? How big is the venue? Is it indoor or outdoor?
    Want to get information before i buy tickets you know!
    I NEED HELP!!

if you search the Cork City forum you should find info from previous years.

Transport links - from where? It's a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre add time for a stop in a pub along the way ;)
    Bear in mind the walk back into town along the marina tends to be dark and the foot paths can be a bit broken up in parts, comfy shoes are a good idea.

Since it is so close to the city any hotel will be decent, the closest though is probably the Clarion Hotel.

It's indoor, well it's in a tent/marquee.
    For normal music gigs there is a mix of seated tickets and standing.

• Advertisement

if you search the Cork City forum you should find info from previous years.

Transport links - from where? It's a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre add time for a stop in a pub along the way ;)
    Bear in mind the walk back into town along the marina tends to be dark and the foot paths can be a bit broken up in parts, comfy shoes are a good idea.

Since it is so close to the city any hotel will be decent, the closest though is probably the Clarion Hotel.

It's indoor, well it's in a tent/marquee.
    For normal music gigs there is a mix of seated tickets and standing.

thank you so much for this info! great help!!
    would there be taxis on the night which i could take? is it a good venue? thinking of getting seating tickets for Lana Del Rey but i dont want to be disappointed sound wise and that you know :)

thank you so much for this info! great help!!
    would there be taxis on the night which i could take? is it a good venue? thinking of getting seating tickets for Lana Del Rey but i dont want to be disappointed sound wise and that you know :)

yes, taxis will be available outside the venue, mind you the traffic can be heavy getting out (the car park is busy too) and often you're quicker walking.

Seated areas are fairly good, try to get the seated area in front of the stage (as opposed to the seats to the left and right of the stage - the standing area is in the middle).

Sound can be hit and miss, a gig in a tent is never going to be top notch for sound but you should be fine, depends on the artist's sound crew also.

For example at The National last year I found the sound to be very good when the band were playing but when Matt was talking to the crowd I couldn't make out one word he was saying...and no, I wasn't drunk :D

Go ahead and book those tickets, something to look forward to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Will Lizzie Grant be supporting her?

yes, taxis will be available outside the venue, mind you the traffic can be heavy getting out (the car park is busy too) and often you're quicker walking.

Seated areas are fairly good, try to get the seated area in front of the stage (as opposed to the seats to the left and right of the stage - the standing area is in the middle).

Sound can be hit and miss, a gig in a tent is never going to be top notch for sound but you should be fine, depends on the artist's sound crew also.

For example at The National last year I found the sound to be very good when the band were playing but when Matt was talking to the crowd I couldn't make out one word he was saying...and no, I wasn't drunk :D

Go ahead and book those tickets, something to look forward to!

Brilliant thanks so much!
    just looked up the Clarion to try to book a room and it seems to be booked out for the days i want, any other good hotels you would recommend near to the event? as you can tell im not from Cork at all and dont have a clue! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Brilliant thanks so much!
    just looked up the Clarion to try to book a room and it seems to be booked out for the days i want, any other good hotels you would recommend near to the event? as you can tell im not from Cork at all and dont have a clue! :)

Jurys inn is close too.

• Advertisement

Jurys Inn is also an option, and is next door to the Clarion, but any of the city centre hotels are fine. Depending on weather, it isn't too far to walk to the venue to the city centre.
    202 bus gets you nearby.(Ballintemple Pharmacy) and its a short walk downhill past CAB motors to the venue.

A warning re seating: the main seating area in the centre, if operating is quite "cosy". If you don't know the person sitting next to you at the start, you will by the end. If the person next to you is "large" then half of them will be on your seat, and their elbows will be in your chest.
    Choose wisely. The seats at the side and rear do not have this problem and are quite roomy.

If you need a seat, then the ones at the side, about halfways back are the best option, though you will have your head canted to the left or right for the duration. Try to avoid the poles though.

Jurys Inn is also an option, and is next door to the Clarion, but any of the city centre hotels are fine. Depending on weather, it isn't too far to walk to the venue to the city centre.
    202 bus gets you nearby.(Ballintemple Pharmacy) and its a short walk downhill past CAB motors to the venue.

A warning re seating: the main seating area in the centre, if operating is quite "cosy". If you don't know the person sitting next to you at the start, you will by the end. If the person next to you is "large" then half of them will be on your seat, and their elbows will be in your chest.
    Choose wisely. The seats at the side and rear do not have this problem and are quite roomy.

If you need a seat, then the ones at the side, about halfways back are the best option, though you will have your head canted to the left or right for the duration. Try to avoid the poles though.

thats brilliant! thank you,
    what is the standing like? like i dont want to be in a sweaty mosh pit all night you know..

what is the standing like? like i dont want to be in a sweaty mosh pit all night you know..

Would Lana del Ray have many 'mosh' type songs? Just stay away from the top few rows and you'll be fine. Personally I'd always go for a standing ticket for a music gig in the marquee, that way you can move around to an area that suits you. That's a matter of personal preference.

Goldie fish has some good advice on the centre seats that I was not aware of. Even though I sat at the centre seats at Tommy Tiernan a few years back and didn't notice the cramming, guess there wasn't a 'large' person beside me.

Standing is fine. Pick your spot well. You'll be able to see fine as long as a tall person doesn't stand right in front of you.

Also, the ground is hard, concrete (as opposed to a soft field)

Brian Wilson back at the Marquee. Apparently he was the first ever artist to play the venue, back in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,617 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Shane Filan (Westlife) also coming

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    As a spectator hopefully

Paolo Nutini will be performing live on stage at The Marquee Cork on Tuesday the 8th of July 2014. Tickets for Paolo Nutini live at The Marquee Cork are priced from €45 and will be on sale from 9am on Thursday the 27th of March 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Paolo Nutini will be performing live on stage at The Marquee Cork on Tuesday the 8th of July 2014. Tickets for Paolo Nutini live at The Marquee Cork are priced from €45 and will be on sale from 9am on Thursday the 27th of March 2014

His July 8th concert sold out so they put on a second date July 9th.
    Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Is there wheelchair access?

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    Is there wheelchair access?

Yes. The site is flat with perfect access and there is a wheelchair section in the marquee. One presumes there adequate lavatory provision too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

was his name Phelan before he got fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I always get him mixed up with the lad that does food on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

I always get him mixed up with the lad that does food on Newstalk.

oh ya whats his name Paul o toole or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Nathan carter is coming now as well will be popular with some.

ofcork wrote: »
    Nathan carter is coming now as well will be popular with some.

He isn't Garth Brooks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

He isn't Garth Brooks though

At least, he's better than Mike Denver!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

At least, he's better than Mike Denver!!

Do you mean John Denver? And isn't he brown bread? :D

Do you mean John Denver? And isn't he brown bread? :D

I'd say he meant Mike alright, both are C&I artists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I'd say he meant Mike alright, both are C&I artists

John Denver is an American country artist. Mike Denver is who I meant. IMO the type of music he does is poor but he is very popular with the 'country/folk meets Westlife' set. John Denver is a good artist by the way.

Advertisement