Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3.7Mb on a 7Mb line

• 22-10-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a 7Mb eircom line
    The modem is limited to 4352 kbps /384 kbps

I generally get 3.6 or 3.7Mbps on download tests.

Should Eircom up my modem settings so i can get closer to the 7Mb that i am paying for?

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 4352 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 56 dB /29 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 11 dB /13 dB

3049609317.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

With that line attenuation you're lucky to get what you're getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

The attenuation might only be that high due to the phone socket the modem is connected to.

Best thing to do is test the modem on its own in the phone socket and compare results, might be a faulty filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

allen175 wrote: »
    The attenuation might only be that high due to the phone socket the modem is connected to.

Best thing to do is test the modem on its own in the phone socket and compare results, might be a faulty filter.

Yeah, I found somebody on here had low speeds and I asked them to remove the filter and bingo! It also happened to a mate up in Drogheda. He was on an 8Mb package but was barely getting half a meg. I took the filter off and his speed went up to 2Mb/s. It doesn't matter anymore because he has eFibre now.

Testing straight from the mdp would be the best idea before giving up on getting higher results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

So as long as you are not connecting a phone + modem to the same socket there's no need for the filter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Batesy wrote: »
    So as long as you are not connecting a phone + modem to the same socket there's no need for the filter?

If you've no filter on the main socket, even if there's no phone on it, other phones (filtered or not) can cause dropouts from experience. There's some ISPs in the US that tell you to use no filter on the main socket, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Yeah, I've no phone connected to any socket and I've no intention of using one. I'm using the line for broadband only but I've always had a filter between the modem and the socket.

I wonder will I see improvements on speed if I remove the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

We use a splitter for our phone and router but it does have a hit on the SN Margin so an internal one could be a better solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

OP, how far are you from the exchange? If it's 3+ miles then the line attenuation is correct and those speeds will be the best you'll ever get. I'm just over three miles and 2Mb( 54 dB line attenuation) is all I can hope on DSL. The only other option you'll have for higher speeds is fixed wireless solution. Which is what I have now. I'm 20Mb with an average ping of 20ms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pa990 wrote: »

I generally get 3.6 or 3.7Mbps on download tests.

Should Eircom up my modem settings so i can get closer to the 7Mb that i am paying for?

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 4352 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 56 dB /29 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 11 dB /13 dB

3049609317.png

You're on an old exchange. So thats a poor enough start.

7Mb is the package, not the line. As sam said, 56db D means your line is too long for 7Mb. If you are profilted for 4 and testing at 3.7 then its operating exactly as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

ED E wrote: »
    You're on an old exchange. So thats a poor enough start.

7Mb is the package, not the line. As sam said, 56db D means your line is too long for 7Mb. If you are profilted for 4 and testing at 3.7 then its operating exactly as it should.

He might be on the 7mb old package, but he is most definitely not set on 4mb, seeing 4096kbs would mean he is on 4mb, I would say they are on something higher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement