If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my TV is broken

Options
  • 22-10-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

ive bought a philips pfl 8404 from you close to 4 years now. i have no receipt or box or nothing and im surely out of warranty so there is not much i can do there but the problem is, the PHILIPS logo shows up when i plug the tv in but its darker than usual then the screen goes blank after a second or two. so it stays black from then on but i can hear sound from the tv shows. it seems i have a backlight problem and i need a new chip or something.

any idea on how to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ok i accept defeat due to various google searches and i realise i need a new tv.

could you quote me on a price for the viera txl 39e6b and also the 32e6b please?

and could you reccomend me some other options on a budget? the main use will be for playstation gaming so im looking for a tv that has gaming at the top of its list for performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

The 39E6 is currently £479.95 although at the moment this is an in-store only model and one that we don't have in stock. These are notoriously difficult to get hold of.

The 32" is is stunning and won an award in this years What Hifi awards.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-l32e6b

The Panasonic TXL32E6 would work out at £369.95 / €449.99 with Half price Boardie delivery at just £6.95 / €7.99

We can also do the Panasonic TXL42E6 for £529.95 / €649.99 with half price Boardie delivery at just £9.95 / €9.99

The 42" and 32" are both in stock.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

The 39E6 is currently £479.95 although at the moment this is an in-store only model and one that we don't have in stock. These are notoriously difficult to get hold of.

The Panasonic TXL32E6 would work out at £369.95 / €449.99 with Half price Boardie delivery at just £6.95 / €7.99

We can also do the Panasonic TXL42E6 for £529.95 / €649.99 with half price Boardie delivery at just £9.95 / €9.99

Many thanks

Dave
    im very interested in this tv and i have my heart set on it but 32" is too small for me. im used to 37" for 4 years so i cant go smaller. 39" would be perfect but you dont have them in stock right? and 42" seems a little too big as my viewing distance is usually 5 feet

do you think the 39" will be in stock towards the end of november?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

Many thanks

Dave
    im very interested in this tv and i have my heart set on it but 32" is too small for me. im used to 37" for 4 years so i cant go smaller. 39" would be perfect but you dont have them in stock right? and 42" seems a little too big as my viewing distance is usually 5 feet

Hi Mark,

initially apologies that your TV has gone down  - you coudld send it to us and we could have it looked at for you and get a repair estimate if yuo liked - however Dave's suggestion on the Panasonic E6 series is excellent and would be a great replacement for your 8404, fortunately TV design has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 5 years and the quality of a decent 2013 TV will astound you if you are used to an 8404 ( which was an exceptional TV in it's day)

On the size issue, we do get the 39" in from time to time, however I think that the 42" is far better value than the 39" as it's only an extra £50 - and to go some small way to say we're sorry for your TV going awol so soon I'd be prepared to discount the 42" to £515.

On the size issue relating to the 42" - its a pretty ideal size for a viewing distance of approx 1.6Mtrs (see the What Hi-fi Buyers guide here: http://www.whathifi.com/blog/tv-tech-explained-our-essential-guide-to-buying-a-tv ) and the other factor is that the overall size of the 42E6 when compared to your 37PFL8404 is only just over 2 inches wider overall ( as the screen suround is so small on the E6 series - you just get more screen and less plastic!)

Keep us posted if we can assist..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Mark,

initially apologies that your TV has gone down  - you coudld send it to us and we could have it looked at for you and get a repair estimate if yuo liked - however Dave's suggestion on the Panasonic E6 series is excellent and would be a great replacement for your 8404, fortunately TV design has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 5 years and the quality of a decent 2013 TV will astound you if you are used to an 8404 ( which was an exceptional TV in it's day)

On the size issue, we do get the 39" in from time to time, however I think that the 42" is far better value than the 39" as it's only an extra £50 - and to go some small way to say we're sorry for your TV going awol so soon I'd be prepared to discount the 42" to £515.

On the size issue relating to the 42" - its a pretty ideal size for a viewing distance of approx 1.6Mtrs (see the What Hi-fi Buyers guide here: http://www.whathifi.com/blog/tv-tech-explained-our-essential-guide-to-buying-a-tv ) and the other factor is that the overall size of the 42E6 when compared to your 37PFL8404 is only just over 2 inches wider overall ( as the screen suround is so small on the E6 series - you just get more screen and less plastic!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    really, that is a very kind and an amazing offer you gave me for the 42" and i dont think i could turn that down! it will take me a few weeks to save, would you keep it at that price for me until end of november?

regardig sending the 8404 up..ive done alot of research on google and it seems very likely that the backlight will not turn on anymore due the "inverter board". that needs to be replaced. i cannot find the inverter board for the 8404 on google but if dave thinks he can get one then id be more than happy to send it up then when repaired, give it to my mum

• Advertisement

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Mark,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    really, that is a very kind and an amazing offer you gave me for the 42" and i dont think i could turn that down! it will take me a few weeks to save, would you keep it at that price for me until end of november?

regardig sending the 8404 up..ive done alot of research on google and it seems very likely that the backlight will not turn on anymore due the "inverter board". that needs to be replaced. i cannot find the inverter board for the 8404 on google but if dave thinks he can get one then id be more than happy to send it up then when repaired, give it to my mum
    No problem keeping that price open for you - to be honest it's great value and to be even more honest - it may be even cheaper over the next few months as TV prices rarely go up :( ...so check in before you order and I'll do the best price possible for you.

On the 8404, without sending it away for service, there's no sure way of telling what the fault is - I'd hesitate to order any spares without getting it fully checked out first, then make any decision based on the cost and expected lifespan ( and of course how much you value your Ma..)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Howdy, is the TXL42E6 Saorview?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »

Howdy, is the TXL42E6 Saorview?
    http://www.saorview.ie/product/panasonic-3/

Yep - fully approved

Its Freeview HD and saorview approved

It's a really beautiful TV - Highly recommended..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Mark,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

No problem keeping that price open for you - to be honest it's great value and to be even more honest - it may be even cheaper over the next few months as TV prices rarely go up :( ...so check in before you order and I'll do the best price possible for you.

On the 8404, without sending it away for service, there's no sure way of telling what the fault is - I'd hesitate to order any spares without getting it fully checked out first, then make any decision based on the cost and expected lifespan ( and of course how much you value your Ma..)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    im praying it goes down in price again when i buy it :D its great value already though. ill get back to you guys ASAP.

on the 8404, i dont think i could afford to send it away and pay for repairs and stuff so ill try sell it for parts on adverts.

ill be back in a few weeks for my big ass tv :)

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Mark,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    im praying it goes down in price again when i buy it :D its great value already though. ill get back to you guys ASAP.

on the 8404, i dont think i could afford to send it away and pay for repairs and stuff so ill try sell it for parts on adverts.

Hi Mark,

No problem at all :)

Just let us know when you're ready and we'll get ya sorted.

Chris

• Advertisement

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Mark,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi Mark,

No problem at all :)

Just let us know when you're ready and we'll get ya sorted.

Chris
    hi guys, after alot of research on google ive decided not to get the panasonic as the input lag is 38ms and thats a little too high for me as my tv is used primarily for gaming. ive decided i would like to get this sony bravia http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/sony/bravia-kdl42w653a/sony-kdl42w653abu could you please tell me the difference between that one and the W64A? as i see none in specs nor price. also, would the price reduction john so kindly offered me still apply to this different choice in tv?

Hi Mark, no problem.

The Sony isn't just up to the standard of the Pana on the picture but the lag issue is one that would me important and actually I hadn't realised that the Pana was 38ms. Did you get that from Panasonic directly ?

The only difference is the colour of the bezel. The 653 is black with the 654 being silver.

Unfortunately the price of the Sony would be £519.95 as the margin on this is just too tight.

Total including delivery in Euro would be 649 Euro and includes the 5 year.

Keep us posted if you would like one.

ATB

Dave

Hi Mark, no problem.

The Sony isn't just up to the standard of the Pana on the picture but the lag issue is one that would me important and actually I hadn't realised that the Pana was 38ms. Did you get that from Panasonic directly ?

The only difference is the colour of the bezel. The 653 is black with the 654 being silver.

Unfortunately the price of the Sony would be £519.95 as the margin on this is just too tight.

ATB

Dave
    no but alot of different review websites measured it at 38ms. the sony is considered THE gaming tv of the year in terms of input lag. its a bummer that ill be sacrifising picture for lag input but its an option i must take. is the sonys picture far behind the pana?

ill use it mostly for gaming, after that ill use it for HD movies connected to my laptop via hdmi. SD tv quality is not that important. do you reccomend the sony highly even if it doesnt reach the standard of the panasonic?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Mark, no problem.

ATB

Dave
    no but alot of different review websites measured it at 38ms. the sony is considered THE gaming tv of the year in terms of input lag. its a bummer that ill be sacrifising picture for lag input but its an option i must take. is the sonys picture far behind the pana?

ill use it mostly for gaming, after that ill use it for HD movies connected to my laptop via hdmi. SD tv quality is not that important. do you reccomend the sony highly even if it doesnt reach the standard of the panasonic?
    Hi there,

I'm just replying on Dave's behalf as he's off today.

The Sony isn't a bad TV at all.  Sony have always good decent picture quality,  the Panasonic would be my preferred option.  I'm not a big gamer though so input lag isn't a concern.  

We've got the Sony here in stock and ready to go if you're interested.  

Chris

hi guys, im looking to order that sony 42" W653 next week(finally)

recently the model has had a major price drop in argos and powercity in dublin but they dont seem to offer the 5 year guarantee.

will i be fine with the guarantee if the tv breaks..how would i get it up to you guys for a replacement?

could i get a total for the tv and delivery to dublin so i know how much to be putting onto my card? thanks guys.

can i also get a price for the 32" W653 + delivery to dublin as my brother will be going to you guys for that tv mid december thanks to my reccomendation :P

hi guys, im looking to order that sony 42" W653 next week(finally)

recently the model has had a major price drop in argos and powercity in dublin but they dont seem to offer the 5 year guarantee.

will i be fine with the guarantee if the tv breaks..how would i get it up to you guys for a replacement?

could i get a total for the tv and delivery to dublin so i know how much to be putting onto my card? thanks guys.

can i also get a price for the 32" W653 + delivery to dublin as my brother will be going to you guys for that tv mid december thanks to my reccomendation :P
    Mark,

the Sony warranty is an 'at home' warranty, ie we will arrange to have the TV collected from you ( this is subject to you retaining the original packaging!) so you wont have any worries on this count..

The 42W653 has had a minor reduction with us as well ( we were pretty competitive in the 1st place!) to £499.95 and delivery would be £19.95 - so the total total would be £519.90.

On the 32W653 - thats currently £369.95 and delivery would be £14.95 - a total of £384.90 ( I'm pretty sure that's a decent saving over our Dublin competitors) Thanks for the recommendation and as ever drop us a line if we can assist in any way..

thanks again,

atvb,

John Mc

my brother decided he doesnt wana spend too much on a tv. could i get a quote for a samsung UE32F5000 in cluding delivery please? could you also tell me the price of £519.90 you quotes me on with the 42" W6 in euro?

Thanks for the reply.

The 42 in Euro would be €630.

The 32F5000 would be 345 Euro including delivery.

Keep us posted if we can help with either model.

Many thanks

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.