Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pick your best Starting Irish 11

• 22-10-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

was just wondering what would everyones strongest team be with everyone available? what team would you like to see for the world cup qualifiers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

1. Gary Breen
    1. Gary Breen
    2. Gary Breen
    3. Gary Breen
    4. Gary Breen
    5. Gary Breen
    6. Gary Breen
    7. Gary Breen
    8. Gary Breen
    9. Gary Breen
    10. Gary Breen
    11. Gary Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

PaddyCar wrote: »
    1. Gary Breen
    1. Gary Breen
    2. Gary Breen
    3. Gary Breen
    4. Gary Breen
    5. Gary Breen
    6. Gary Breen
    7. Gary Breen
    8. Gary Breen
    9. Gary Breen
    10. Gary Breen
    11. Gary Breen

We all dream of that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

4-4-1-1

Forde; Coleman, Dunne, O'Shea, O'Brien; McGeady, McCarthy, Wilson, Brady ; Reid ; Keane

I'm writing off Darron Gibson, I think his career at EPL level is likely to be over and he certainly wont be involved in the next campaign until the its nearly over if he's lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Dempsey wrote: »
    4-4-1-1

Forde; Coleman, Dunne, O'Shea, O'Brien; McGeady, McCarthy, Wilson, Brady ; Reid ; Keane

I'm writing off Darron Gibson, I think his career at EPL level is likely to be over and he certainly wont be involved in the next campaign until the its nearly over if he's lucky.

Would have wes in for reid, and maybe depending on the system long for keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Westwood, Coleman, Dunne, O'Shea, O'Brien, Gibson, McCarthy, Brady, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Stokes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Westwood,
    Coleman, Pearce, Stearman, Clark
    Wilson
    McCarthy, Gibson
    McGeady, Brady
    Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

4-5-1

Forde, Coleman, Dunne, Clark, O'Brien, McCarthy, Wilson, McGeady, Pilkington, Brady, Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Westwood
    Coleman O Shea Clark O'Brien
    Wilson Gibson McCarthy
    McLean/McGeady Long Brady

433/451 .

Maybe not the best at the minute but I'd like to see a team built around most of the ones I've listed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Westwood, Coleman, Clark, Pearce , O'Brien, Brady, Gibson, Wilson, McCarthy McGeady, Stokes.

That should be the team moving forward IMO. Dunne, Forde are getting too old and O'Shea is well past it. I worry for us at CB as we could have a problem there for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

4-2-3-1

Westwood;
    Coleman, Clark, O'Shea, Wilson;
    Whelan, McCarthy;
    McGeady, Hoolahan, Brady;
    Long

Subs: Forde, Dunne, Delaney, Pilkington, Stokes, Keane, Gibson, Reid, Ireland, McClean, Green, Walters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Given
    Carr staunton breen Harte
    Macateer keane holand duff
    Keane quinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

4-2-3-1:

Forde
    Coleman, Dunne, Clark, O'Brien
    Gibson-McCarthy----
    McGeady----Wes
    Brady
    Keane

Subs: Westwood, Delaney, O'Shea, Wilson, Reid, Walters, Long, Stokes, McClean, Pilkington

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Obviously no one is taking this seriously, I haven't seen Conor Salmon mentioned once........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I'd agree with the change of formation. We actually have some pacey wingers, and we should be playing a 3 man midfield.

Problem is we don't really have 3 quality midfielders.

Westwood should be the starting keeper, he's young and playing PL football.

Coleman is a given. Clarke should be one CB, O'Shea or Dunne as the other, even play O'Shea LB and Dunne in the middle.

Keane is pushing on, and should step aside for the greater good. Long/Doyle/Walters/Stokes are all options there.

Brady, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean for the 2 wing spots.

Midfield is the problem, After McCarthy, we're hard pushed for players. Options are Ireland (if he'll play), Hoolahan, Reid, Whelan.

One thing I would push for is play more of the younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Westwood
    Coleman Dunne Clark O'Brien
    Wilson McCarthy
    Brady Hoolahan Pilkington
    Keane

A little harsh on Forde, but I just think Westwood is better.

Clark in ahead of O'Shea and St Ledger (edit: also Pearce, forgot about him) in my hypothetical team, but in reality it would just come down to whoever is found to be the best CB partnership.

Keane could be swapped with Long, Walters or Stokes if he isn't getting enough service. A nice collection of creative options to swap about like Reid, McGeady, McClean, Gibson (whenever he recovers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Westwood
    Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, O'Brien
    Wilson
    McCarthy Gibson
    McGeady Brady
    Long

Subs: Forde, Dunne, Wes, Reid, Ireland, Pilkington, Stokes, Keane, Walters, Kelly, Meyler, Delaney,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

4-4-1-1

Why?? I thought the word is that he'll be back before the end of the season so if he is he'll be ready for the start of the next campaign or did i miss something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Given
    Keane quinn

Carr over finnan? Cmon man....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Macca07 wrote: »
    Keane is pushing on, and should step aside for the greater good. Long/Doyle/Walters/Stokes are all options there.

How would Keane stepping aside be for the greater good? Particularly if you consider Doyle and Walters viable alternatives.

Why?? I thought the word is that he'll be back before the end of the season so if he is he'll be ready for the start of the next campaign or did i miss something?

I think its best to prepare for the campaign without him. I dont believe he'll be anywhere near match fitness or a 1st team berth come next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I think its best to prepare for the campaign without him. I dont believe he'll be anywhere near match fitness or a 1st team berth come next season.

We dont have the quality to be able to write off players of his ability, if he's fit he'll be in contention, if not he wont, it's that simple. Where you hearing that he wont be back this season?

We dont have the quality to be able to write off players of his ability, if he's fit he'll be in contention, if not he wont, it's that simple. Where you hearing that he wont be back this season?

I read he'll be out 9 months.

The way I see it, he has to play a few months of club football to get his conditioning up. Considering he broke down with a serious knee injury just back after a minor knee injury he'll be susceptible to niggly injuries for a while after he does gets back to to training. Travelling to meet up for Ireland squad wouldn't help so I'd be leaving him be until he's fully fit and playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Keane can't play up top on his own in all these 4-3-3/4-5-1 formations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

SantryRed wrote: »

Unfortunately I agree, Keane doesn't suit playing up front alone and the lack of quality we have in midfield riles out playing 4-4-2 which leaves the new manager with a tough decision to make.

Do we drop our best striker to make a stronger unit or give up possession in midfield in the hope Keane can put away some of the half chances we might create.

Not sure which is best to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He can. In the right system with the right type of players around him. Most of the suggested teams are dominated by the more skilful players who would provide him with good service and there would be plenty of opportunity for the midfielders to get near to him in support if the team looked to hold onto the ball for spells rather than play direct.

He scored goals for Trap even though he had to work off terrible service with very few players getting close to him (usually just the other striker and, if he was lucky, one winger).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

4-5-1

Westwood, Coleman, O'Brien, Wilson, McCarthy, Brady, McGeady would be definites for me.

3rd CM could be Gibson, Reid, Wes, or Brady with Pilkington on the left. If a more defensive prescence is needed except Gibson, then it would be Meyler or heaven forbid, Whelan/Green. There could be games where Ireland go 4-4-2, but I'd only be happy with that if the 2 front men were Long and Walters. Running needed in those games.

CB's and the CF come down to one major point of contention - is it those who are the best now but need to be eased out of the team so their replacements don't come in with little integration into the team or those repalcements who should play? For me it's the latter but I'd understand why people want the former players to be played.

For me, going forward, it'd be Sledge and Clark as CB's and the forward... would depend on the game I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Completely disagree with this, but hard to argue with your logic seeing as you haven't provided any :confused:

If the tactical plan is to lump it forward at every possible opportunity as we've seen over the last few years, or to expect your striker to be isolated and to hold up the ball waiting for support, you are right. Otherwise, you are wrong imho.

Regardless, making such a sweeping statement like, Striker X can't play as a Striker in formation Y, without understanding what his role would be in any given formation is a bit of a non-sense anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Looking to the future this is what I'd have to go with.
    Forde

Coleman
    St. Ledger----Clark
    O'Brien

Meyler
    McCarthy----Wilson

McGeady
    Long
    Brady

Westwood, Pearce, Duffy, Pilkington, Cox, Sammon, Walters

I'm a big fan of Robbie Keane but he is getting on now and its time to move on imo. The next generation has to get their opportunity to show what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Given

Irwin McGrath Dunne Staunton

Roy Keane Giles

Ronnie Whelan Brady Duff

Robbie Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

klose wrote: »
    Carr over finnan? Cmon man....

holland over kinsella too. i mean, ipswich town??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

eagle eye wrote: »
    Looking to the future this is what I'd have to go with.
    Forde

Coleman
    St. Ledger----Clark
    O'Brien

Meyler
    McCarthy----Wilson

McGeady
    Long
    Brady

Westwood, Pearce, Duffy, Pilkington, Cox, Sammon, Walters

I'm a big fan of Robbie Keane but he is getting on now and its time to move on imo. The next generation has to get their opportunity to show what they can do.

St.leger is stuck playing u21s games these days at leicester so will need a move if his career is gonna go any further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Pearce and Clark have been by far the two best standout CB's on club form excluding Richard Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Surprised so many people pick Wilson midfield, I'd have him left back or not at all.

Also I don't get why Westwood is considered better than Forde.

Forde
    Coleman
    St Ledger
    Dunne
    O'Shea

McGeady
    McCarthy
    Whelan
    Brady

Stokes
    Keane

That was tough, we really don't have a great pick at the moment.
    5 or 6 of my team are the wrong side of 30

Remember when we used to have loads if top full backs ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

v3ttel wrote: »
    Completely disagree with this, but hard to argue with your logic seeing as you haven't provided any :confused:

If the tactical plan is to lump it forward at every possible opportunity as we've seen over the last few years, or to expect your striker to be isolated and to hold up the ball waiting for support, you are right. Otherwise, you are wrong imho.

Regardless, making such a sweeping statement like, Striker X can't play as a Striker in formation Y, without understanding what his role would be in any given formation is a bit of a non-sense anyways.
    Spot on. This recent phenomenon of people spouting 'Robbie can't play up top on his own' is a bit of a nonsense given the service he has been getting from the Ireland midfield over the last four or five years. And it has been said so many times at this stage that it seems to be taken as almost fact at this stage.

Put in some midfielders who can actually pick a pass and read one of Robbie's many runs and we'll see if he can play up top on his own. Maybe he can't anymore. But to see he definitely can't using the Irish set up as proof is a joke. Keane makes so many intelligent runs during Irish games that are either ignored or are ruined by dreadful passes. It's a miracle he's managed to score so many during the Trap years to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

westwood
    Coleman o shea Clark Wilson
    mccarthy
    hendrick/Gibson Ireland
    pilkington brady
    keane.
    id be trying to get Ireland back,another midfielder and is a good one in fairness. we need to blood youth and although we're not blessed wit an abundance of talent,a good team spirit and tight knit group and we can do well. forde,dunne,mcgeady,mcclean,stokes, whelan,hoolahan,Reid,o brien,long,keogh,Richard not Andy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Westwood?

WTF?

4-4-1-1

Certainly one of the most OTT assumptions I have read on boards for a while!

noodler wrote: »
    Certainly one of the most OTT assumptions I have read on boards for a while!

Hardly an OTT assumption that a midfielder is going to struggle to get back to the sort of form people know him for after a knee ligament injury in less than a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Given

Irwin McGrath Laurenson

Roy Keane Giles

Houghton Whelan Brady highway

Aldo
    Subs
    Bonner, davie O leary, duff, keane finnan staunton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Westwood

Coleman
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    Wilson

McCarthy
    Meyler
    Reid

McGeady
    Brady

Long

• Advertisement

Westwood?

WTF?
    Not really a WTF is it? Would have thought himself and Forde are pretty evenly matched. Both have staked decent claims thus far for the number one jersey. Would be happy with either one between the sticks.

jem wrote: »
    Given

Irwin McGrath Laurenson

Roy Keane Giles

Houghton Whelan Brady highway

Aldo
    Subs
    Bonner, davie O leary, duff, keane finnan staunton

Would that team not be a little old at this stage?

I'd have particular concerns of the fitness of Giles, and didn't Brady have a heart-attack before? Just can't see him having the legs to track back when needed.

The only pick I actually agree with is Glen Whelan in midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

v3ttel wrote: »
    4-2-3-1:

Forde
    Coleman, Dunne, Clark, O'Brien
    Gibson-McCarthy----
    McGeady----Wes-
    Brady
    Keane

Subs: Westwood, Delaney, O'Shea, Wilson, Reid, Walters, Long, Stokes, McClean, Pilkington

Are you best mates with him??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Given
    Keane quinn

No McGrath. GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would that team not be a little old at this stage?

I'd have particular concerns of the fitness of Giles, and didn't Brady have a heart-attack before? Just can't see him having the legs to track back when needed.

The only pick I actually agree with is Glen Whelan in midfield

Brady had heart attack?

Jesus fair play to him playing for Hull all the same.

Pighead wrote: »
    Not really a WTF is it? Would have thought himself and Forde are pretty evenly matched. Both have staked decent claims thus far for the number one jersey. Would be happy with either one between the sticks.

How are they evenly matched?

Forde has performed superbly since been given a chance for Ireland.

Westwood has only just got his place back in the Sunderland team.

Christ, if Forde's performances for Ireland don't edge you ahead of the likes of Westwood then I don't know what it will take.

How are they evenly matched?

Forde has performed superbly since been given a chance for Ireland.

Westwood has only just got his place back in the Sunderland team.

Christ, if Forde's performances for Ireland don't edge you ahead of the likes of Westwood then I don't know what it will take.
    They've both played pretty much the same amount of games for Ireland and neither have let themselves down as of yet. As you said Westwood has regained his place in the Sunderland team and is playing week in week out in the Premiership. Forde is playing in the Championship. It's possible the new manager may go for the guy playing in the top league. But as I said there is not a whole lot between them. I'd be happy with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Westwood has looked shocking at times, for Ireland and Sunderland. Forde has looked very safe and dependable for Ireland in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

4-4-1-1

Who's centre mid in your team?

Pighead wrote: »
    It's possible the new manager may go for the guy playing in the top league. But as I said there is not a whole lot between them. I'd be happy with either.

This attitude is completely wrong. Don't pick players based on what league they play in.

In the last games, v Germany, Forde and maybe Stokes were our best players, neither is in Premiership.
    Even Andy Reid was excellent v Kazakhs, and McGeady's introduction killed off the game for us, again neither in Premiership.

Pick players based on ability and suitability to our team, not based on English Premier League bias.

Forde is simply better than Westwood, doesn't matter what clubs they are at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement