Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pick your best Starting Irish 11

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

noodler wrote: »
    How are they evenly matched?

Forde has performed superbly since been given a chance for Ireland.

Westwood has only just got his place back in the Sunderland team.

Christ, if Forde's performances for Ireland don't edge you ahead of the likes of Westwood then I don't know what it will take.

How are they evenly matched? By being about the same ability. Not complicated is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Forde is simply better than Westwood, doesn't matter what clubs they are at.
    No he isn't simply better than Westwood. It's a close call and I can see arguments for both sides. Think a few people are getting carried away by Forde's admittedly excellent display against Germany. I'm guessing there are not too many avid Millwall supporters here so most people have probably only ever watched him play a handful of times.

Many people were calling for Forde over Westwood because the latter wasn't getting his game at Sunderland which was fair enough. Now that Westwood is first choice again I think it's pretty close between the two of them as to who deserves the number 1 jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Corholio wrote: »
    Who's centre mid in your team?

James McCarthy & Marc Wilson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pro. F wrote: »
    How are they evenly matched? By being about the same ability. Not complicated is it?

They aren't, not even close based on their Irish performances.

Westwood has played this season regularly (i.e. for about 2 months), before that he hasn't played club football for about a year and a half.

On which games are you basing this "same ability" on?
    Pighead wrote: »
    They've both played pretty much the same amount of games for Ireland and neither have let themselves down as of yet. As you said Westwood has regained his place in the Sunderland team and is playing week in week out in the Premiership. Forde is playing in the Championship. It's possible the new manager may go for the guy playing in the top league. But as I said there is not a whole lot between them. I'd be happy with either.

You clearly haven't been watching their respective Ireland performances then. What Forde has produced in the green shirt has been light years ahead of anything Westwood has produced in his few games for Ireland.
    No he isn't simply better than Westwood. It's a close call and I can see arguments for both sides. Think a few people are getting carried away by Forde's admittedly excellent display against Germany. I'm guessing there are not too many avid Millwall supporters here so most people have probably only ever watched him play a handful of times.

What a load of nonsense. Forde got praise for his performances in Stockholm and Vienna as well. Think you are getting a bit carried away with someone finally (after 18 months of sitting on the bench) getting a game for a bottom of the table EPL side.

You can see the arguments from both sides? Can you make any other argument other than Westwood is now playing EPL football?
    Many people were calling for Forde over Westwood because the latter wasn't getting his game at Sunderland which was fair enough. Now that Westwood is first choice again I think it's pretty close between the two of them as to who deserves the number 1 jersey.

Right, you pretty much sum up your position. Past performances do not matter to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Westwood
    Coleman Clarke O Shea O Brien
    McCarthy Gibson
    Reid Wes McClean
    Long

Be a very goal shy team though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

352 maybe

Westwood

Clarke
    Dunne
    O Shea
    Coleman
    Wilson
    McCarthy

Gibson
    Reid

Wes
    Long

With Wes dropping off and Long as target man

Doyle could be put in too I guess, Keane of course for the next few games, Brady, Pilkington etc could all be good shouts, not McGeady.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Westwood

Coleman Dunne O Shea O Brien

McCarthy Wilson Gibson

McGeady Brady

Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I would go with:
    Forde
    Wilson
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Coleman
    McCarthy
    Gibson
    Brady
    Reid
    Wes---
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What a load of nonsense. Forde got praise for his performances in Stockholm and Vienna as well. Think you are getting a bit carried away with someone finally (after 18 months of sitting on the bench) getting a game for a bottom of the table EPL side.

Sunderland also have the worst defensive record in the league.

I also seem to recall Westwood's appearance in the 1-6 v Germany

• Advertisement

Sunderland also have the worst defensive record in the league.

And Milllwall have the third worst defensive record in the Championship! Think they let in 9 goals in two games a couple of weeks ago.

noodler Forde had a great game against Germany and played well in Stockholm against Sweden but he was only ok against the Swedes at home and Austrians away. Lets not get carried away here. Light years me hoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

And how many of those goal were his fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

TaosHum wrote: »
    And how many of those goal were his fault?

Judging each goalkeeper by their performances against Germany isn't exactly a great comparison for their abilities but Westwood didn't exactly cover himself in glory.
    Was it 2 or 3 German goals were shots outside the box that Westwood conceded? While Forde looked fairly comfortable when tested from range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Forde
    coleman----pearse
    clarke
    kelly
    oshea
    mccarthy----ireland
    mceady
    doyle
    long

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Westwood
    O Shea Clark Dunne
    Coleman McCarthy Gibson Duff
    Brady McGeady
    Stokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

................................Westwood......................................
    .............O'Shea...........Dunne..........Clarke.....................
    Coleman.......................................................Wilson.......
    .........................McCarthy.....Reid..................................
    McGeady.....................Hoolahan...................McClean
    ....................................Long.......................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

noodler Forde had a great game against Germany and played well in Stockholm against Sweden but he was only ok against the Swedes at home and Austrians away. Lets not get carried away here. Light years me hoop!

Strong argument there...

I am amazed that people want Westwood to start despite the fact he is far less deserving of his place than Forde is.

Thats pretty much the be all and end all of my position.

Strong argument there...

I am amazed that people want Westwood to start despite the fact he is far less deserving of his place than Forde is.

Thats pretty much the be all and end all of my position.
    16 for Westwood and 10 for Forde so far in this thread by my rough calculations. Maybe, just maybe your opinion is wrong? How many times in total have you watched Forde play out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

They aren't, not even close based on their Irish performances.

Westwood has played this season regularly (i.e. for about 2 months), before that he hasn't played club football for about a year and a half.

On which games are you basing this "same ability" on?

You clearly haven't been watching their respective Ireland performances then. What Forde has produced in the green shirt has been light years ahead of anything Westwood has produced in his few games for Ireland.

You seem to be taking his long stretch on the Sunderland bench as proof that he's not that good, that's wrong. It's an easy situation for a keeper to find themselves in, even if they're a good player. The only issue would be whether he ever got back to form when playing regularly again, which he has.

Time on the Sunderland bench doesn't count as bad form to be held as evidence against him, it's just a sign that he was being kept out by an in form keeper.

The games I'm basing my opinion on are their games for Ireland and one or two of Westwood's Sunderland games. You might say that's unfair that I haven't been watching any of Millwall's games, if anybody wants to tell me that Forde has been pulling up trees for them then I might have to give them a watch.

From what I've seen Forde has pulled off more impressive saves for Ireland but I've seen Westwood pull off similarly impressive saves (more for his club). In terms of commanding the box I think they've both been about similar, steadily growing in confidence in the Ireland games. In terms of reliability I get the impression that Westwood edges it, but I haven't seen enough games from either of them to be confident. Beyond that it looks to me that Westwood is the more athletic and agile and so that makes me trust him more.

I wouldn't be bothered if Forde kept the starting job for Ireland, because I don't see a huge difference in their abilities. I certainly don't agree that Forde's performances for Ireland have been so much better as you're making out.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wouldn't be bothered if Forde kept the starting job for Ireland, because I don't see a huge difference in their abilities. I certainly don't agree that Forde's performances for Ireland have been so much better as you're making out.
    I wouldn't mind but this isn't even a controversial opinion. It seems pretty obvious that there isn't a whole lot between them. As ProF says we're in pretty good shape with regards to goalkeepers as both are solid and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

magma69 wrote: »
    ................................Westwood......................................
    .............O'Shea...........Dunne..........Clarke.....................
    Coleman.......................................................Wilson.......
    .........................McCarthy.....Reid..................................
    McGeady.....................Hoolahan...................McClean
    ....................................Long.......................................

I always wondered how many outfield players we would have needed to give Spain a game in the Euros, I think you're still short one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement