Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic

Options
  • 22-10-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

What's with the traffic this afternoon. Its mad everywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

NUIG Graduations? 100's of families flocking to Galway for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was heading to College road this evening when about five Garda cars with flashing lights closed all the roads heading to the docks and College road, I was held up for arounf fifteen minutes until a large truck with a huge boat on board went past, surely this could have been brought in around 7pm causing less disruption to traffic its bad enough here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The relics in the cathedral seem to attract major crowds, too and the rain doesn't help either!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

Left parkmore at 4.30 for a journey that took 10 mins yesterday. Still sitting in traffic more than an hour later. Came through tuam road lights no problem and then came to a complete standstill on bothar na dTreabh just after turn into Glenburren park! Am about half way down the road so could be another hour here yet...aaagghhh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

The f**kin relic of st anthony........that's what has the traffic so bad..?
    2-3 miles of a tailback on the tuam road coming in. Traffic lights are really working alrite..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

sweet Jesus this is bad. I left Parkmore over 40 minutes ago... I'm only at the An Post depot on the Tuam road now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's completely banjaxed!

It's the sheer volume of cars all trying to get through and yes, I did notice that the majority were single occupancy vehicles.
    Lots of stupid stuff happening, like cars doing u-turns on BnaT, on the bridge.

Bodkin is causing Kirwan to be blocked and the N6 to back up all the way out the Tuam Rd.
    There really should be a traffic person at Bodkin & Kirwan because people are getting stuck for hours

Also, one of the few rat runs to avoid Bodkin- Dyke Rd earlier. Stuck?

bridge1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

6.50 and the traffic is still heavy. Its a fecking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

One of the worst evenings of traffic i have ever experienced in Galway. Avoid the city at all costs if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Took me 75 minutes to get from GMIT to Wellpark. A journey that takes half hour took 2 hours tonight. If I was in a rush I'd have gone on a murderous rampage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Took me 75 minutes to get from GMIT to Wellpark. A journey that takes half hour took 2 hours tonight. If I was in a rush I'd have gone on a murderous rampage.

Surely you'd WALK from GMIT to Wellpark in ten minutes.
    It's no wonder the towns clogged

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

My 3.5 mile cycle took the usual 20 minutes to cross the whole city.

Surely you'd WALK from GMIT to Wellpark in ten minutes. It's no wonder the towns clogged
    I'd say he was travelling further, possibly to College Road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Worn Out wrote: »

Hope you brought some good rain gear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Surely you'd WALK from GMIT to Wellpark in ten minutes.
    It's no wonder the towns clogged
    People use cars for long distance travel too bb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Worn Out wrote: »

Were you not even slowed a bit given the awful weather conditions and the huge volume of traffic? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The gardaí had traffic blocked at the moneen junction earlier today. Nothing was moving. The 2 ambulances came tearing in the Dublin road. No idea what it was in relation to but must've bee serious for them to stop the traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

SNAFU.

I tried to cross town (by car) today around 12:30. Luckily my journey was not essential, so I turned round at University Road and went home.

I did wonder whether the diabolical traffic had something to do with the Cathedral. Hadn't heard anything about relics.

BTW, St. Anthony is the patron saint of travellers, with a small t. The ironing is delicious. :D

I predict entirely predictable headlines in the local press, Wednesday to Friday this week, and perhaps forever. And Mr F will again be on GBFM asking (rhetorically) what's wrong with 90% of cars being single occupant.

And to send just about everyone into a state of stratospheric apoplexy, the Director of Services for Transport & Infrastructure, who has been offered the job of Sligo County Manager, is out of the country at the moment, while the head of the Galway Transport Unit is on extended leave until April 2014.

What else? Oh yes, big match in Pearse Stadium and and Races in Ballybrit on Sunday, coinciding with a Macnas Parade I believe.

The perfect storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Traffic is normally bad enough, but it's beyond brutal when any event takes part in the City. If only we had a way to divert motorists around the City without having to make them go so close to the centre.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Took me an hour to get across Galway this evening! The traffic is Galway City is beyond a joke. It's those b*stards who continue to object to any infrastructure project that are the main reason for this. There should be a ring road around Galway years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One thing that makes me mad is when the City Council say that Galway is a medevil City with narrow roads which is causing the traffic problems, well excuse me the problem is not in the City its on the stupid roads and traffic lights around the outskirts that ye have done that has destroyed this City, I never have a problem driving around the City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Why the focus on single occupant cars? It's an unavoidable fact of life. People have different starting points, different destinations, and different timelines. If you did force people who happened to be going the same place at the same time from the same starting point to travel together, the reduction of cars would be minuscule. Waste of time talking about single occupant cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

snubbleste wrote: »
    Also, one of the few rat runs to avoid Bodkin- Dyke Rd earlier. Stuck?

bridge1.jpg

Isn't there a yoke immediately before this that you have to drive under to make sure your car is small enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I was on a bus from the Tuam Road to NUIG today, usually takes 20 minutes, took an hour today. Left at 3.05 for a lecture at 4, missed the lecture. Madness!

Why the focus on single occupant cars? It's an unavoidable fact of life. People have different starting points, different destinations, and different timelines. If you did force people who happened to be going the same place at the same time from the same starting point to travel together, the reduction of cars would be minuscule. Waste of time talking about single occupant cars.

condthumb460x600

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I was on a bus from the Tuam Road to NUIG today, usually takes 20 minutes, took an hour today. Left at 3.05 for a lecture at 4, missed the lecture. Madness!

You should be driving, apparently.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Traffic is normally bad enough, but it's beyond brutal when any event takes part in the City. If only we had a way to divert motorists around the City without having to make them go so close to the centre.:rolleyes:

It is well-known that traffic is "beyond brutal" in Galway City when "any event" takes place, so huge numbers of people choose to drive there anyway?

I know the people going to kiss a glass box containing a fragment of an alleged saint's alleged jawbone may not be thinking entirely rationally, but what about all the others?

+1, most people who bring their car need their own car for various different reasons. The who single car occupancy is just nonsense talk.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    condthumb460x600

Oh how I detest that picture as it means absolutely nothing in the real world. You used that in a reply to a post that stated people work on different time lines, travel to different places, have various things to do during the day and evening etc all which they need the car for and that leaving aside the fact that buses don't exist unless you live in the city and even then you have to work to their time table and their route not what suits you or if you need to transport things with you daily etc etc.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »

I know the people going to kiss a glass box containing a fragment of an alleged saint's alleged jawbone may not be thinking entirely rationally, but what about all the others?

Some anti-catholic bile thrown in for good measure too.

Terrible post as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Antifa161 wrote: »
    Isn't there a yoke immediately before this that you have to drive under to make sure your car is small enough?

That has been hit upwards... and the chains are also missing from it. I saw this van yesterday. They tried taking the air out of the tyres... it was really wedged in. Then they had to get another truck to toe it out. I guess that was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I did Parkmore to Rahoon(11km) via the Docks in 35 minutes at 17h30 yesterday. Had no major holdups bar the odd traffic light. Alot of car traffic though.

• Advertisement

+1, most people who bring their car need their own car for various different reasons. The who single car occupancy is just nonsense talk.

Oh how I detest that picture as it means absolutely nothing in the real world. You used that in a reply to a post that stated people work on different time lines, travel to different places, have various things to do during the day and evening etc all which they need the car for and that leaving aside the fact that buses don't exist unless you live in the city and even then you have to work to their time table and their route not what suits you or if you need to transport things with you daily etc etc.

Some anti-catholic bile thrown in for good measure too.

Terrible post as usual.

In the real world road space is finite, and cars (most especially single-occupant) take up a grossly disproportionate amount of that space compared to other modes of travel. Regardless of people's reasons -- or excuses -- for using their car, that fact is undeniable and inescapable.

space-car-bus-bike-750px.jpg

According to the Smarter Travel documentation, 47% of the population in the "Galway Metropolitan Smarter Travel Area" travel 4 km or less to work and education.

Last year a Redemptorist apologised from the altar to people who had received Fixed Charge Notices for illegal parking during the Novena (including obstruction of footpaths, as per usual). Another cleric was reported in the media as condemning enforcement of parking regulations because people attending the Novena (2012 theme: the virtues of living a good Christian life) were spending their money in local pubs and restaurants. You couldn't make it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement