Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thankfully I wasn't near town today but traffic has steadily been getting worse in general the past couple of months.
    Roadworks, any special events (such as graduation, funerals, relic showings etc - yesterday), accidents or hold ups (such as the van and the guards stopping traffic) and indeed the weather ALWAYS have a seriously bad effect on traffic around town.
    There are generally more cars on the road at the moment as well (for whatever reason, more people working, more students from the colleges commuting in as opposed to renting around town, a bit more money around the place, whatever really)

So I suppose there may have been a perfect storm of events yesterday evening however one has to ask what is the long term solution to these issues and why, after all the money that has been spend on traffic management etc do we still have a city that gets choked up with traffic?

It's a complex question with an answer that consists of many different parts, ranging from some rather cheap, minor fixes to bigger parts consisting of larger more expensive fixes.

How much analysis is actually done of traffic in the city (outside of general traffic counting, which is a rather blunt method of surveying)?

1. Why don't more people cycle/walk/use the bus/use a park and ride?
    ( a couple of theories I would have here)
    2. Where are people going from/to?
    3. What is required to get these people out of their cars?
    4. How much traffic could be removed from the city centre by a city bypass?
    5. Is existing infrastructure best utilised? (bus routes, trains etc, is there any feasibility in running a trainline between Salthill, via the more populated areas, and the town centre out towards Ballybrit/oranmore etc) etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Anyone got any 'live' update on the state of traffic this evening? is it the same gridlock as yesterday?

Thanks.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile10/Profile,10,Full,Document.pdf
    The census includes a lot of questions about commuting showing the patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile10/Profile,10,Full,Document.pdf
    The census includes a lot of questions about commuting showing the patterns.

Pretty sizeable report!
    Gonna have a read of it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Well it bugs me no end people claiming it isn't road tax because it is. Yes it may not go directly to pay for roads, but it does so indirectly and it should go directly but thats beside the point. The smart arses love going on about motor tax not being road tax though.

It is not.
    Try this URL link: https://www.motortax.ie if you still need it to be explained to you.

If you are a PAYE worker earning 50000, single, no children (18-29), No motor vechicle you would be contributing €237 to Road improvement/maintenance a year.

Use this calculator
    http://www.eoghanmurphy.ie/tax-transparency/

Everybody pays for our road network.

Also probably needs pointing out to you that many people who cycle, walk and take the bus pay motor tax they just dont use their car everyday.

• Advertisement

It is not.
    Try this URL link: https://www.motortax.ie if you still need it to be explained to you.

Its just pulling the wool over peoples eyes calling it motortax. If you have to pay the tax in order to drive a car on the road but not to keep a car on private land then how can it be seen as anything other than road tax.

Also probably needs pointing out to you that many people who cycle, walk and take the bus pay motor tax they just don't use their car everyday.

Well I pay 710 euro a year in motortax and walk to work at the moment so no it doesn't need pointing out to me no. I use my car mostly in the evenings and weekends that I travel home to galway.

I'm living in the city at the moment though (Cork not Galway) but I plan to be living back home in Co. Galway at some point in the future so will then need to be commuting by car again and therefore how easy it is for a driver to negotiate the city is of interest to me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not one to get involved in these traffic threads, they're fairly uninformative when it comes to current traffic situations and get quite bogged down by talk of alternative methods of transport, but sure why not ask...

How's it looking going out by terryland/quin/westside? I'll be driving through in my single occupancy motor vehicle soon enough so i guess I'll get hands on experience in no time, the craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sconsey wrote: »
    Anyone got any 'live' update on the state of traffic this evening? is it the same gridlock as yesterday?

Thanks.

bit late but it was heavy but moving along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hello. I am one of the people on motorbikes who passed you yesterday.

I left NUIG at 5.30 and filtered through gridlock to Tuam, my commute took the normal 35 minutes. I would like to thank all of the cars stuck in the mayhem yesterday for leaving space for me and my fellow bikers to filter past you. Every bike is one less car in your way - we can co-exist nicely so long as you keep that in mind.

Travel safe!

'cptr

I don't understand why more people in Galway don't use motorbikes. At least I can predict with relative accuracy what time i will be home from work etc. A bit of rain?? I'll put up with that any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

ratracer wrote: »
    I don't understand why more people in Galway don't use motorbikes. At least I can predict with relative accuracy what time i will be home from work etc. A bit of rain?? I'll put up with that any day.

I can't understand it either why more people don't use motorbikes.I'll be taking a spin up to galway tomorrow morning on the N17 and I will be asking myself the same question while making progress through the traffic.

Feel free to wave to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

I can't understand it either why more people don't use motorbikes.I'll be taking a spin up to galway tomorrow morning on the N17 and I will be asking myself the same question while making progress through the traffic.

Feel free to wave to me :D

Don't wave back!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

How's it looking going out by terryland/quin/westside? I'll be driving through in my single occupancy motor vehicle soon enough so i guess I'll get hands on experience in no time, the craic :D

Sailed through tonight, very little hold up at the roadworks which was quite pleasant. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But showing the picture and stating how much space a car takes up is totally irrelevant with the other forms of transport are of no use to a lot of people (not all people but a lot of people). You might as well be showing pictures of a non-existent underground rail system for all the good a bus or a bike are to a lot of people.

Well we need to start designing society so that public transport works for people.

I'm back working in Ballybrit Industrial estate again, like I was in 2007/8. However since the RAB was removed and the 405 bus started going into the estate, the number of people who travel by foot or public transport has grown a lot. I don't know if this is deliberate hiring policy on behalf of the various companies, or just that people have realised how feasible it is. IMHO there should be an incentive for companies to hire local in order to reduce their environmental footprint.

With events like relics or the novena ... get parishes to sponsor a bus from their suburb to the cathedral door. GAA matches, make the clubs do it. (All private parking 20 mins walk away, or bus to the door, should be enough of an incentive for people.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wonder what would happen to the finances of the country if a large amount of people gave up having a car or even vastly cut down on their driving?
    A 50% reduction in Car Tax, Fuel tax/duty. VRT would leave a vast hole in the finances. Perhaps a cycle tax, a tax on walking ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

galwayrush wrote: »
    Wonder what would happen to the finances of the country if a large amount of people gave up having a car or even vastly cut down on their driving?

A 50% reduction in Car Tax, Fuel tax/duty. VRT would leave a vast hole in the finances. Perhaps a cycle tax, a tax on walking ......

The government is addicted to short-term revenues from certain sources that are unsustainable or counter-productive in the longer term. Other examples would be alcohol and tobacco. That's why they continue to tax the 'old reliables' just enough to raise revenue but not enough to significantly decrease consumption, and hence tax take, in the short term. Negative consequences are not necessarily subtracted from GDP either.

I reckon successive governments have been delighted to promote car dependence, regardless of the social and environmental consequences. The construction industry, the motor trade, out-of-town retailers and so on, also have a vested interest in it, and clearly they have had an influence on the politicians and the "planners". And who knows, maybe there's some class of ideological imperative behind our enthusiastic embrace of car dependence.

A key point, however, is that car ownership does not have to mean a high level of car use. Other countries have a higher level of car ownership than we do, as well as higher levels of tax perhaps, and yet they don't have the same degree of car dependence. The Netherlands springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

I understand the desire to promote cycling and do encourage the construction of cycle paths, however, inadequate cycling infrastructure makes it very unsafe - especially during the darker winter months

To promote cycling, a cycle lane could be constructed from Oranmore into Galway and on to Salthill/Knocknacarra. This could be developed to be multi purpose path, walking, jogging, commuters and tourists alike cycling the coastline etc. I would be a fantastic amenity and the envy of many cities. The construction of a second cycle lane from Knocknacarra on to Bishop O'Donnell Road ( already done), over the bridge, out the Tuam Road and on to the Industrial parks would allow near complete access to Galway via cycle lanes.

As for public transport, the truth of the matter is a broke and broken company like Bus Eireann is not the solution to anyones woes - little has changed since I stopped using it 12 years ago. I an from Salthill but live in Oranmore, it would take me close to 2 hours to get to work on Bus Eireann - I could be in Dublin in that time, indeed I often am.

As for vehicular traffic, with the Galway City ByPass unlikely to happen in the next 10 years there is a pressing need to construct arteries capable of transporting high volumes through the city. At the moment too many of the main thoroughfares are clogged up with traffic stopping and turning every which way. The prevention of right turns, at junctions where it requires traffic on a major artery to stop, should be considered. Also I think it is apparent that the 3 old bridges are not suitable for the bi-directional traffic.

With that in mind changing some roads to unidirectional roads would create arteries capable of moving high volume.

Changing Lough Atalia to a unidirectional road, for East -> West traffic only, and change the Wolfe Tone bridge likewise would create an East -> West Trans city artery.
    Changing St Mary's Road and Newcastle Road to uni-directional towards University Road, changing Salmon Weir Bridge to uni- directional would create an West -> East Trans city artery.

Likewise Forster St/College Road unidirectional inbound and Prospect Hill/Bohermore unidirectional outbound create two more high volume arteries. Changing St Francis St/Eglington St to a unidirectional and join it op with the artery leaving Eyre square via Bothermore.

Yes this would impact people living on these routes but visit Dublin, Cork or Limerick and they all have unidirectional streets in the city centres.  Space is at a premium and the roads cannot be widened, so getting everyone moving in the same direction means more can move in that direction..

Finally, the Westside Buslane (or Taxi Lane as it is known as so few buses use it).... It was a mistake. Open it up. As an aside the Buses should be on Siobhan McKenna Road where the houses are, and I don't think any buses use the bus lane from start to end, so what is the point of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I have some experience of this. I used a motorbike as my only mode of transport for 4 years. I loved that bike. Most of the time it was perfectly fine (13 km commute one way to Ballybrit from Oranmore). With the crazy rain here you do still get wet though unless you duct tape the seams, and it takes quite some time to prep yourself for getting on the bike and face the elements.

On the odd day with cold/ snow / ice i was struggling (your hands go numb is the worst part). Only 1 day though as far as i can remember i had to turn back as i could not get any traction on the ice. Another time i was overtaking cars on the dual carriageway when it was powdery dust of snow (it was perfectly safe).

Pretty dangerous going on a bike as well if you are not experienced, i was close to being taken out maybe 10 times over the 4 years but no crashes, you really have to be alert and plan ahead. Oil and petrol spills are pretty frequent too. If you are filtering you need to be as alert as a fighter pilot landing on an aircraft carrier. I always look at bikers in traffic and you see some scary stuff with inexperienced and unprotected riders.

In my current job i could not have a bike as i have to travel to meet customers, and jobs that require a suit you can also rule out a bike. Also have to do your hair at work :-). There really is no option for me but using a car, travelling on my own. If i had a bike i would use that when i could, but the reality is that you have to pay tax, insurance, possibly loan, service, consumables on all your vehicles. Also a lot of jobs require you to be flexible in terms of working times, when I have to stay late there may be no more buses, what do i do then?

I am not aiming this at you by the way but people that criticize others for sitting on their own in their car going to work, you really need to open your eyes as to where you are living and how the rural - urban - suburban landscape is linked. People live down roads that are not cycle-able or walk-able in the morning / night without risking your life unless you are very good at scaling stone walls. Even if a bus happens to pass a main artery road, how are you going to get to that bus stop intact or even dry on a consistent basis?

@Ms O'Bumble - Incentives for companies to hire local so they can take the bus to reduce the carbon footprint? Fo' real...i think you need to think that one through again :)

Oh and on the topic of traffic in the city I got a baptism of fire, moving here during a Novena in 2005. 2.5 hours from Ballybrit to Dominick street.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Crazy again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

I'm not criticizing anyone for sitting in their cars, that's their choice/circumstance, I just put a general comment out there about how few people commute by motorbike in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm not criticizing anyone for sitting in their cars, that's their choice/circumstance, I just put a general comment out there about how few people commute by motorbike in the city.

Yep, its just me and a few scooters. I rarely get completely soaked but my Tuam-NUIG commute is a consistent 35 mins regardless of the time or traffic.

Free parking, no delays and lower running/tax costs are offset by the likelihood of being killed violently on the Moneenageesha roundabout.

'c

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »

Perhaps it would leave a hole in the finances of the Dept of Finance but equally that would mean people would have more money in their pockets to spend. Would benefit the local economy. Small shops, pubs and restaurants. Overall the Irish economy would benefit as you are not exporting your money to the companies who build cars nor the suppliers of the fuel. Ireland does not have a car or oil industry. Does not have any of these companies listed on our Stock exchange either.

Perhaps it would leave a hole in the finances of the Dept of Finance but equally that would mean people would have more money in their pockets to spend. Would benefit the local economy. Small shops, pubs and restaurants. Overall the Irish economy would benefit as you are not exporting your money to the companies who build cars nor the suppliers of the fuel. Ireland does not have a car or oil industry. Does not have any of these companies listed on our Stock exchange either.

I will gladly have less money and a car (not only that but I'm into my cars so won't just drive a run of the mill car either), I simply could not get by without one and that's with living 15 mins walk from the city centre and 15 mins walk from work, never mind living on the outskirts of a city or in a rural area (where I have lived most of my life until recently).

For most people in Ireland its totally impractical not to have a car, and even if you can get by without one life is a lot easier with one.

I will gladly have less money and a car (not only that but I'm into my cars so won't just drive a run of the mill car either), I simply could not get by without one and that's with living 15 mins walk from the city centre and 15 mins walk from work, never mind living on the outskirts of a city or in a rural area (where I have lived most of my life until recently).

For most people in Ireland its totally impractical not to have a car, and even if you can get by without one life is a lot easier with one.

Not 100% sure why you are quoting me? Were do I say that one must not have a car? I am talking about the cost's of car ownership and how it benefits the economy.

That includes variable(parking charges, fuel, wear and tear) as well as fixed costs. If you can reduce the variable costs that will also be of benefit to your pocket. You yourself do this by walking to work? I presume either to save time or put more money in your pocket or both?

As Iwannhurl said earlier:
    A key point, however, is that car ownership does not have to mean a high level of car use. Other countries have a higher level of car ownership than we do, as well as higher levels of tax perhaps, and yet they don't have the same degree of car dependence.
    The following Forbes article shows how the Danes have measured this cost.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/justingerdes/2012/01/23/copenhagens-green-sheen-its-not-just-about-the-bikes/

Do we have an equivalent study in Galway showing the cost to the local Galway Economy due to car traffic congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

underfed wrote: »
    This outer bypass has to happen otherwise Galway will be lost, this crazy situation has to stop. The people of Ennis threatened not to vote in the general election unless they got a bypass, they did. We need to do the same.

Fantastic idea, a threat to withdraw our vote might make them sit up and notice. The outer bypass is the number 1 issue facing the city..

You yourself do this by walking to work? I presume either to save time or put more money in your pocket or both?

It's down to lack of parking as much as anything to be honest. You have to be a permanent staff member for a certain number of years before you get parking privileges.

Now if I had parking, whether or not I would be living as close to work as I am is up for debate and even with where I'm living (about 1km) I would definitely drive in if the weather is bad. Despite being fairly city centre the traffic on my route in would be quite light. It does save me money in fuel there is no denying that, however if I was doing much daily driving I would run a more economical car (about 80% of my miles are put up on trips back to Galway at weekends), walking to work also allows me to own a car that's fond of the juice, so to speak.

Don't get me wrong Its very handy being so close to the city centre and I do like it but my car still gets plenty of use, even things as simple as food shopping are so much more simple with a car.

My feeling on it is this, for me its either being within a short walk (20 mins or less) or else the car. I don't like cycling (and its very hard on my bad back) and buses are far too inflexible, especially if you live in a rural area they will never be an option, even living in a suburb a bus gets very unattractive for someone who has a few places to go after work, needs to go somewhere at lunch etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

It's down to lack of parking as much as anything to be honest. You have to be a permanent staff member for a certain number of years before you get parking privileges.

Now if I had parking, whether or not I would be living as close to work as I am is up for debate and even with where I'm living (about 1km)

So in effect what is pushing car use and pushing people to live in locations that create car dependancy is the availability of car parking?

You are not the first person to notice this.

So in effect what is pushing car use and pushing people to live in locations that create car dependancy is the availability of car parking?

You are not the first person to notice this.

Yes but I totally disagree with parking not being provided, its very unfair on people who want to live outside the city. There are enough people who choose to live in the city without forcing those who don't want to or cant live there by not providing parking.

Living in the city here is grand for me but for many different reasons I would/will be living in a rural area in Galway.

Yes but I totally disagree with parking not being provided, its very unfair on people who want to live outside the city. There are enough people who choose to live in the city without forcing those who don't want to or cant live there by not providing parking.

Living in the city here is grand for me but for many different reasons I would/will be living in a rural area in Galway.

This explains perfectly why Galway City has the car traffic problems which inspired the opening of this thread.

This explains perfectly why Galway City has the car traffic problems which inspired the opening of this thread.

I can't see why anyone has the right to dictate where people live and that is the direction a few people are moving in.

There a many very good reasons why people live in rural areas and even if they weren't good reason, wanting to is reason enough and if someone chooses to live in the country they should not be punished for it in some like some communist state trying to make their life difficult or impossible by not providing parking.

I would look on parking as an absolute necessity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I can't see why anyone has the right to dictate where people live and that is the direction a few people are moving in.

There a many very good reasons why people live in rural areas and even if they weren't good reason, wanting to is reason enough and if someone chooses to live in the country they should not be punished for it in some like some communist state trying to make their life difficult or impossible by not providing parking.

I would look on parking as an absolute necessity.

A fine idea in theory but unfortunately the infrastructure of Galway cannot support increased traffic flows and an increase in parking availability would further choke the city centre.

You cannot squeeze blood from a stone by trying to allocate additional parking to cater for everyone who wishes to commute to the city centre and thereby increase city traffic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement