Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to set min price on gargle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

HansHolzel wrote: »
    The Oxford English Dictionary has no entry for “stupidest” but merely quotes it as said by various people, which does not make it right.

The Oxford English Dictionary also doesn't have an entry for "dumbass".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

The Oxford English Dictionary has no entry for “stupidest” but merely quotes it as said by various people, which does not make it right.

What kind of vagaries does 'various people' refer to? And why are you (and to a lesser extent, the OED) telling us that it doesn't make it right? It's not right to you, I imagine, but you've given us little to actually disprove it.

I don't know why I got sidetracked with something so trivial:)but I think it needed a riposte as it all sounds like the gospel according to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Uaru wrote: »
    The Oxford English Dictionary also doesn't have an entry for "dumbass".

my kingdom for a hyphen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Clip

e.g. 24-can slabs for €20. Is that budget enough for you? Insane encouragement to pig out, in other words.

Again, a major misconception.
    Lots of people shop by the month and may buy their few beers in that shop.
    It doesn't mean they guzzle the whole lot in one go!!!

It the same with buying a multi pack of say 24 bags of King crisp.
    I like a pack every so often, I don't sit down an as you say "pig out" and eat the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

They just want you to be screwed and as misserable as you possibly can be before you leave the country. Myself and my partner don't go out we don't have the money to go out and to pay for a babysitter so to get 25 cans for €25 is our little luxury oh but guess what that has now gone up to €30 meaning we can only buy our cans every 2nd/3rd week. We don't ask for much just a few drinks over the weekend but the government take that off us too. We will be the next family moving out the country soon. No not just coz beer went up for many many things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikom wrote: »
    Have you any figures for the ratio of houses to pubs/nightclubs in the country?
    It may come as news to students and members of the welfare class but drinking parties aren't the norm in most houses.

Grown ups tend to be busy working, paying mortgages, rearing kids etc.

Students and members of the welfare class?
    Which bracket would you put me in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Clip

It may come as news to students and members of the welfare class but drinking parties aren't the norm in most houses.

Grown ups tend to be busy working, paying mortgages, rearing kids etc.

My neighbours across the road have 3 kids in creche and both work.
    Every single Friday and Saturday they have friends over for "drinks".
    I went once and it was an eye opener the amount of drink drank, needless to say I never returned but they still do it and go to the pub on Sunday for "lunch" with the kids.
    The dont get back till its time for chucking out this kids.
    And these are considered "respectable" working people from a decent area

My next door neighbour lost his job there before the summer(he was the main income she was at home with the kids)
    They are now as you say "members of the social welfare class".
    They are in bed every night at 10pm(thank you boomtime builders for paper thin walls).

Your stereotypes dont fit here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Minimum pricing of alcohol is something I welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2 someone hasmy first choice

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Just seen this posted on the it site.
    Is this to stop underselling or is it to hike the tax take..or is it the vintners lobbying?

A part of me feels the government shouldnt have a say on the price on drink or almost anything else

The last straw, they probably clicked the RETURN button on that,as they all boarded a flight to BARBADOS... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

kryogen wrote: »

Is it now?

And do you honestly think it will stop an alcoholic from drinking as much as he did before or underage drinking?

They put up the price of fags every year and there is no reduction in smoking.

Putting up the price of booze just makes it more expensive for people who buy alcohol in supermarkets and off licenses where there is a strict policy on not serving anyone who looks underage.

It's just those busybodies in that waste of space Labour Party and the VFI sticking their oar in peoples lives and I think this one will come back to bite both of them in the ass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

See Elizabeth Bishop's The Prodigal ;-)

The brown enormous odor he lived by
    was too close, with its breathing and thick hair,
    for him to judge. The floor was rotten; the sty
    was plastered halfway up with glass-smooth dung.
    Light-lashed, self-righteous, above moving snouts,
    the pigs' eyes followed him, a cheerful stare--
    even to the sow that always ate her young--
    till, sickening, he leaned to scratch her head.
    But sometimes mornings after drinking bouts
    (he hid the pints behind the two-by-fours),
    the sunrise glazed the barnyard mud with red
    the burning puddles seemed to reassure.
    And then he thought he almost might endure
    his exile yet another year or more

Not everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic. If you're going to quote something to make a point, make it relevant to the rest of us. You're just jumping onto higher horses with every post you make in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is it now?

And do you honestly think it will stop an alcoholic from drinking as much as he did before or underage drinking?

They put up the price of fags every year and there is no reduction in smoking.

Putting up the price of booze just makes it more expensive for people who buy alcohol in supermarkets and off licenses where there is a strict policy on not serving anyone who looks underage.

It's just those busybodies in that waste of space Labour Party and the VFI sticking their oar in peoples lives and I think this one will come back to bite both of them in the ass.

Couldn't give a toss about the alcoholic who will find a way to drink, or the under age kids who will also find a way to drink. I am sick of seeing supermarkets selling alcohol below cost and writing off the loss against tax.

I am sick of seeing one rule for one particular place selling alcohol and another rule for the other. Its about time the playing field began to level

Edit: The supermarkets/off licenses have a strict policy about not serving under age but pubs/clubs don't? Come on

You're just jumping onto higher horses with every post you make in here.

Are You Drinking?

Washed-up, onshore, the old yellow notebook out again
    I write from the bed as I did last year.
    Will see the doctor, Monday.
    "Yes, doctor, weak legs, vertigo, headaches and my back hurts."
    "Are you drinking?" he will ask.
    "Are you getting your exercise, your vitamins?"
    I think that I am just ill with life,
    the same stale yet fluctuating factors.
    Even at the track I watch the horses run by
    and it seems meaningless.
    I leave early after buying tickets on the remaining races.
    "Taking off?" asks the motel clerk.
    "Yes, it's boring," I tell him.
    "If you think it's boring out there," he tells me,
    "you oughta be back here."
    So here I am
    propped up against my pillows again
    just an old guy
    just an old writer
    with a yellow notebook.
    Something is walking across the floor toward me.
    Oh, it's just my cat this time

Charles Bukowski

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Couldn't give a toss about the alcoholic who will find a way to drink, or the under age kids who will also find a way to drink. I am sick of seeing supermarkets selling alcohol below cost and writing off the loss against tax.

I am sick of seeing one rule for one particular place selling alcohol and another rule for the other. Its about time the playing field began to level

Why does it bother you so much?

Edit: this might actually not be so bad depending on the price they decide per gram of alcohol. This will mostly affect alcohol that's cheap relative to its strength like cheap spirits and cheap wine which I don't drink. Cheap beers and ciders would be affected also but to a lesser extent. So basically it's mostly going to affect the tesco vodka and dutch gold binge drinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Edit: The supermarkets/off licenses have a strict policy about not serving under age but pubs/clubs don't? Come on

Don't buy from supermarkets so.

Buy your drink from pubs and clubs only.

Simple.

I know I can buy 10 x chicken fillets from a meat outlet close to me , for €8.50 but I choose to stay local with the butcher in my village. He charges a fiver for 4.

My choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Are You Drinking?

Anyone can copy and paste a poem tbh.

It demonstrates your ability to cut and paste. Nothing else.

Creative writing/poetry forum is over there incidentally >>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

MadYaker wrote: »
    This will mostly affect alcohol that's cheap relative to its strength like cheap spirits and cheap wine which I don't drink.

Absolutely, I never touch the stuff which will be affected, and nor would any FG/Labour TD or the vast majority of their voters.

That's what makes it an unfair, regressive tax.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dutch gold binge drinkers.

Dutch Gold is well over a euro a can these days, which is not exactly "cheap"

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

yoyo wrote: »
    Dutch Gold is well over a euro a can these days, which is not exactly "cheap"

Nick

It is by Irish standards. You never see cans for less than a euro anymore.

Anyone can copy and paste a poem tbh.

It demonstrates your ability to cut and paste. Nothing else.

Creative writing/poetry forum is over there incidentally >>>>

from Terence, this is stupid stuff (A. E. Housman)

...Say, for what were hop-yards meant,
    Or why was Burton built on Trent?
    Oh many a peer of England brews
    Livelier liquor than the Muse,
    And malt does more than Milton can
    To justify God’s ways to man.
    Ale, man, ale’s the stuff to drink
    For fellows whom it hurts to think:
    Look into the pewter pot
    To see the world as the world’s not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Its high time the vinters association lobby group f88ked off for good from Irish life.

Only in Ireland can a group of bars call the shots (no pun intended) on government policy, oh wait didnt a lot of our former ministers have bars and hotels.

f88king lobby groups I hate them. ALL of them looking out for themselves and themselves only.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It is by Irish standards. You never see cans for less than a euro anymore.

Precisely my point, it's not really that cheap. 4 cans of Dutch Gold for €5 is €1.25 per can. A pint of cheap lager in some pubs can cost as little as €3 (a pint is 568ML, cans only 500ML) so drink is already pricey enough as it is. Especially if pubs can profit from selling pints at €3.
    Of course Dutch Gold, Tuborg etc. cannot be compared to Budweiser, Heineken etc. (even though imo there better!). Cans of Heineken and Budweiser are always considerably more expensive.
    Its high time the vinters association lobby group f88ked off for good from Irish life.
    JD Weatherspoons will be in Ireland soon. A welcome introduction which will very much p!ss off the Vintners Association. About time there is some competition being introduced..

Nick

The days of 24 cans for 20 euro are long gone. Bavaria is my can of choice and the best that can be got now is 24 for 24, and even that is rare. Its this time last year since I saw 24 for 20 and I'm constantly checking for the offers in all the supermarkets.
    Clip wrote: »
    My neighbours across the road have 3 kids in creche and both work.
    Every single Friday and Saturday they have friends over for "drinks".
    I went once and it was an eye opener the amount of drink drank, needless to say I never returned but they still do it and go to the pub on Sunday for "lunch" with the kids.
    The dont get back till its time for chucking out this kids.
    And these are considered "respectable" working people from a decent area

Ok, having the kids in the pub all day sunday isn't ideal but I can't see whats wrong with having friends over for drinks on Friday and Saturday nights. They are working hard and are entitled to unwind at the weekend.

They sound fairly respectable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    Ah here, do you travel to other countries much? You can check out prices online if you don't.

How are you determining that it is "cheap"?
    if you got it for nothing it still wouldn't be cheap enough for some of you
    Excellent reply :rolleyes: -I take this as you admitting it is not cheap.
    I am sick of seeing supermarkets selling alcohol below cost and writing off the loss against tax.
    :confused: have you evidence of this even happening? I have asked time and time again. If you are actually at the point of feeling sick then surely you must have some evidence.

I am sick of hearing this myth.

again
    I have looked for the info and never found any evidence at all, NEVER, supermarkets do not readily disclose figures.

What I did find was very interesting figures from the UK. They have a similar enough situation as here, moaning publicans and claims of below cost selling. When there was talk of setting a minimum price the UK also investigated making below cost selling illegal, as it was presume it was so widespread. When investigated it found that only 2-4 products were being sold below cost in all the major supermarkets combined, these were oddball products too, not your big name trays of beer you see on sale. The idea was scrapped because of this.

A few alleged publicans post on boards, none were ever able to provide a links below cost selling went on to the extent they make out, any links at all, whether believable or not.

And non of the publicans ever responded to my questioning of the below cost model in convenience type stores. e.g. my centra frequently has 20 Heineken for €15, I have never seen people doing a weekly shop there, most getting the beer are only buying the beer.

I am sick of seeing one rule for one particular place selling alcohol and another rule for the other.
    What rule are you talking about?

The only place I have seen where I suspect below cost selling goes on is dicey rileys pub in dublin, which have €2 pints of paulaner. Now I have no evidence at all, since I have no idea what they pay for a keg. But I have heard of no other pub coming near that price.

But do you not think the government should be getting the bulk of this "sin tax" rather than the dealers selling this recreational drug?

I think many of the pro people are still under the misconception that this is like a rise in excise duty or something.

rubadub wrote: »
    Excellent reply :rolleyes: -I take this as you admitting it is not cheap.

Take it whatever way you like. You will still get it wrong.

Take it whatever way you like. You will still get it wrong.

The fingers are well and truely in the ears now.

The fingers are well and truely in the ears now.

None of you whingers gives a damn about public health. It's just me me me and my sauce

Truly

None of you whingers gives a damn about public health. It's just me me me and my sauce

Haven't had a pint in a month, scan, or feel the need.
    Doesn't stop me seeing the bigger picture though.

• Advertisement

Doesn't stop me seeing the bigger picture though.

Public health ain't in your picture, whatever else is.

Advertisement