Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to set min price on gargle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

In the next referendum they are running they should tag on a vote asking the people do they support the minimum pricing of alcohol.
    We'll see less and less referendums as time goes on I reckon, the government know they're out of sync with the general population, they don't want what we want and visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In the next referendum they are running they should tag on a vote asking the people do they support the minimum pricing of alcohol.

They already put it in their manifesto. The people voted them in
    So... that's already a vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

bluewolf wrote: »
    They already put it in their manifesto. The people voted them in
    So... that's already a vote

so was not cutting child benefit and not raising college fees

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How do I know if a pub is NOT a member of the vintners association? I would like to give these establishments my business. ****ing greasy FF/FG/Publicans out to corrupt screw the population at every turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Were are the figures for the apparent massive child neglect due to alcohol consumption ? or is it the same stereo type of jono on the dole outside the bookies everyday drinking going home drinking and so on ? it sounds made up by a anit drinking anti fun lobby group

Im not sure if the figures exist, but it is a very real situation which I have seen first hand.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Im not sure if the figures exist, but it is a very real situation which I have seen first hand.

So you reported it to the HSE the child neglect then ? or are you just making it up. It’s always the same my sisters brothers cousin knows a scanger who drinks and takes drugs i think there kids are being neglected to. Figures please not whataboutary and made-up nonsense.

So you reported it to the HSE the child neglect then ? or are you just making it up. It’s always the same my sisters brothers cousin knows a scanger who drinks and takes drugs i think there kids are being neglected to. Figures please not whataboutary and made-up nonsense.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

So that's a no then

So that's a no then

Really not sure if you're serious or trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

humbert wrote: »
    It seems you're right. When I was young I'd been told of farmers suffering ill effects having used vessels which previously contained, I think, formaldehyde. That story (which may have been bs) coupled with the lower boiling point of methanol making it seem plausible that it would make it through crude distillation instilled a distrust in me of home distillation.

Having done some googling I see that it is not unheard of for bootlegers to use methanol which is a scary thought, though I couldn't find any deaths in Ireland due to that either.

I think there have been Irish tourists in Indonesia who drank suspect spirits and died

• Advertisement

Really not sure if you're serious or trolling.

What's trolling about saying you have made something up ? maybe look up the word trolling. Because my opinion does not fit your omg everyone is drinking and beating there kids whataboutary ?

What's trolling about saying you have made something up ? maybe look up the word trolling. Because my opinion does not fit your omg everyone is drinking and beating there kids whataboutary ?

Peter gets 186 euros on a thursday. Peter buys a few bottles of vodka and gives whats left to Mary who buys food for everyone for the week. Then the government brings in a minimum pricing for alcohol and Peters vodka now costs more than before. Does Mary have more money for the domestic shopping or less money for the domestic shopping?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I guess more people will turn to drinking the auld hand sanitiser now!

http://www.thejournal.ie/addicts-drinking-hand-sanitiser-to-get-alcohol-fix-292329-Dec2011/

Peter gets 186 euros on a thursday. Peter buys a few bottles of vodka and gives whats left to Mary who buys food for everyone for the week. Then the government brings in a minimum pricing for alcohol and Peters vodka now costs more than before. Does Mary have more money for the domestic shopping or less money for the domestic shopping?

Peter and Mary don't exist this is a hypothetical. Do you have any figures or are you going to continue to base an argument on something that has been fabricated ? I have supplied figures in other posts. That say Ireland is in the middle for alcohol consumption in the EU not Top (That's trotted out constantly to say were all alcoholics) and the 2nd most expensive country to purchase it.

I guess more people will turn to drinking the auld hand sanitiser now!

http://www.thejournal.ie/addicts-drinking-hand-sanitiser-to-get-alcohol-fix-292329-Dec2011/

Dont really understand the reason for the hypodermic needle in an article about alcohol.

From the article:
    He said often they have economic reasons for this, such as the fact they may not have acccess to social welfare.

Or another economic reason being that alcohol is f^%king expensive in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

This is absolutely nothing more than protecting the pub trade. Look closely at what has happened over the last few years. The proposal to launch cafe bars was shafted. Off license hours were cut. Happy hours were banned. The abuse of alcohol continued. Now we are returning to price fixing a concept that was rejected by Labor heads many years ago. Think Gilmore. The vintners are running this show in an attempt to force drinkers into pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So what will the minimum price of a pint be ?

Peter and Mary don't exist this is a hypothetical. Do you have any figures or are you going to continue to base an argument on something that has been fabricated ? I have supplied figures in other posts. That say Ireland is in the middle for alcohol consumption in the EU not Top (That's trotted out constantly to say were all alcoholics) and the 2nd most expensive country to purchase it.

Can you calm down a little, I think you will find we are on the same side. Bringing in a minimum price for alcohol will make it more expensive, and as my hypothetical demonstrated will result in wives having less money in their domestic budgets ultimately resulting in hungry children and leading to more social problems.

I am for the reduction on the duty of alcohol. Not an increase and very much against the bringing in of a minimum price.

Having lived in eastern europe for a number of years I also know the Irish are not the heaviest drinkers in Europe.

The funny thing is the majority of my drinking is done in pubs but despite this I can't stand paying anymore than a euro a can even though I pay at least four times that in the pub for a pint.

It used to be 24 can for 20 euro, now the best is 24 for 24 but I think the days for 1 euro a can will be gone for good if this legislation gets brought in.

Can you calm down a little, I think you will find we are on the same side. Bringing in a minimum price for alcohol will make it more expensive, and as my hypothetical demonstrated will result in wives having less money in their domestic budgets ultimately resulting in hungry children and leading to more social problems.

I am for the reduction on the duty of alcohol. Not an increase and very much against the bringing in of a minimum price.

Having lived in eastern europe for a number of years I also know the Irish are not the heaviest drinkers in Europe.

I am quite calm i was simply pointing out the whataboutary. You will find The government is using the same reasoning putting up the price of alcohol. If the European figures say were in the middle for consumption and 2nd most expensive how can the government then say we have a massive problem with drink ? That's basically saying most people drink responsibly and we have like a couple of thousand alcoholics drinking loads. If that's the case then why not invest in treatment and prevention instead of just going them alcoholics have ruined it for everyone now everyone has to pay more.

• Advertisement

Whats whataboutery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

No lad this is a representative democracy. This means we pick our poison from 3-4 showers of gobsh1te career politicians and do what we're told for the next 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

moonshine! bring it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

moonshine! bring it back!
    its still around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

undercost selling by the muntibles is costing the state two fortunes.

Reporting such events are generally ignored. I know someone who reported a woman who spent all her money on alcohol and drugs and sent her kids to school with no breakfast and nothing packed for lunch. In the evening they'd get a few crackers or one if those really cheap Dunnes currys. Multiple reports were made and it took 4 years before the HSE or anyone else did anything about it. The kids were put into care for a few months while the mother cleaned herself up. She got the kids back and was back drinking and doing drugs less than a week after. 5 years later and complaints are still being made yet the kids are still with their mother who will spend 150 euro on a hair cut but won't buy breakfast cereal for her children. If the kids are lucky there'll be a loaf of bread and some milk bought on dole day and that's about it b

Reporting such events are generally ignored. I know someone who reported a woman who spent all her money on alcohol and drugs and sent her kids to school with no breakfast and nothing packed for lunch. In the evening they'd get a few crackers or one if those really cheap Dunnes currys. Multiple reports were made and it took 4 years before the HSE or anyone else did anything about it. The kids were put into care for a few months while the mother cleaned herself up. She got the kids back and was back drinking and doing drugs less than a week after. 5 years later and complaints are still being made yet the kids are still with their mother who will spend 150 euro on a hair cut but won't buy breakfast cereal for her children. If the kids are lucky there'll be a loaf of bread and some milk bought on dole day and that's about it b

So the HSE has failed then. What has the price of drink got to do with that ? If the price went up she would have still been drinking taking drugs and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

biko wrote: »
    I'm willing to pay whatever a pint cost in the Dáil bar, nothing more.

This is one of the things that make me mad. The poxy dail bar. Everyone knows that raising the price won't make a difference, it's the mentality we have towards it. Surely abolishing the dail bar would set a good example that we don't need alcohol to function?
    I reckon any TD that suggests this will get laughed out of Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I don't know anyone who makes decisions on how much they will drink based on how much they can afford. Most people drink far, far, far less than they what they can afford (though some still far more than they should) so they'll just continue drinking just as much whatever the price is. They'll just have slightly less left over for any other discretionary spending.

And regardless of whatever the minimum price is, it will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than what the pubs are charging.

• Advertisement

So the HSE has failed then. What has the price of drink got to do with that ? If the price went up she would have still been drinking taking drugs and so on.

It's git nothing to do with it, just your post implied that those stories were made up. i was merely pointing out that reporting to the HSE wasn't a solution in most cases and that was cases if neglect are common and most will happily turn a blind eye.

Advertisement