Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to set min price on gargle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

rubadub wrote: »
    There should be no more bulk orders/discounts, except on beers previously above the min level of course. The plan is to charge a minimum per unit alcohol, so the spirits will be hit too.

A 700ml 37.5% bottle of the cheapest tesco vodka is 12.99. This is the equivalent of 12.2 cans of 500ml 4.3% alcohol. So if the min price was set at €1.50 per 500ml 4.3% can this would equate to a min price of €18.30 for the vodka.

Now people may switch to this for a cheaper alternative as they can usually skull back a half bottle faster than 6 cans. I think it will get people thinking more about the price per unit alcohol. Many have no idea that a pub shot is only little more than half a pint of most beers.

I can picture lots of younger people buying 200ml & 350ml bottles of cheap spirits. Traditionally these have costed a lot more per ml than the 700ml bottles. If all things stay the same you will see many of these at the same price per ml as the larger ones. e.g. if the max was 1.50 per 500ml 4.3% can then the min price of 200ml 37.5% spirits is €5.23

Back then the price different was not as dramatic. It was about twice or little over twice the price to drink in pubs. In the rip off forum people are being charged €6.70 for a 330ml corona (works out €11.53 a pint), while a heineken is 75cent in tesco. Even well off people are drinking at home on principle, not just cause they are young lads stuck for money.

Wouldn't like to be buying Belgian beers under such a system. You'd be looking at €3.50+ just for one bottle :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kjl wrote: »
    I don't drink, and I find it revolting having sex with someone while they are drunk and I'm sober. I like to meet girls in the pub earlier when they are still sober and get a phone number and meet up with them for a date. However nowadays the pubs are empty till about 12 then when they do start to fill up everyone is hammered.

Plus, you guys realise that tesco, lidl, aldi, they all export their profits so it's bad for the economy too. At least with the new proposal the extra tax generated will be put to good use.

If you drink 20 units of alcohol per week, you will be spending about €40 anything more than that and you are probably drinking too much anyway. The only people who benefit from cheap alcohol is alcoholics. If people was to spend all their money on booze, well so be it, that darwinism.

...rushes to the pub before 12 in the hopes of being asked for her number by Mr Personality of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    ...rushes to the pub before 12 in the hopes of being asked for her number by Mr Personality of the year :D

And yet you wonder why you're still single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im sure you will have to join a queue.

Edit*

If she isn't drunk how do you get her to do all the funky stuff?

make fun of me all you want, but I rarely don't get a number of someone I am interested in. Should I be practicing the other way of pulling in Ireland, get rat arsed drunk and hope to shag some fat bird. I have standards thank you very much.

• Advertisement

I don't drink, and I find it revolting having sex with someone while they are drunk and I'm sober.

So you take advantage of drunk women and it revolts you but you still do it.

And yet you wonder why you're still single.

Well...no.....I don't...cause I'm not.... :D

So you take advantage of drunk women and it revolts you but you still do it.

I have done in the past, hardly taking advantage when they are falling over me. It is from experience that I realise I don't like it and hence don't do it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

gonna buy a home brewing kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

make fun of me all you want, but I rarely don't get a number of someone I am interested in. Should I be practicing the other way of pulling in Ireland, get rat arsed drunk and hope to shag some fat bird. I have standards thank you very much.

And yet still miraculously single...

• Advertisement

Well...no.....I don't...cause I'm not.... :D

then why are you trolling bars to hook up with people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't drink, and I find it revolting having sex with someone while they are drunk and I'm sober. I like to meet girls in the pub earlier when they are still sober and get a phone number and meet up with them for a date. However nowadays the pubs are empty till about 12 then when they do start to fill up everyone is hammered.

Plus, you guys realise that tesco, lidl, aldi, they all export their profits so it's bad for the economy too. At least with the new proposal the extra tax generated will be put to good use.

If you drink 20 units of alcohol per week, you will be spending about €40 anything more than that and you are probably drinking too much anyway. The only people who benefit from cheap alcohol is alcoholics. If people was to spend all their money on booze, well so be it, that darwinism.

You are looking at the extremes of society and throwing it at us, when we are going on about average Joe. There is too much a sense of idealogy here in your posts for my liking. And you seem to be throwing this topic in to a few irrelevant directions. I don't care where the profits of a business goes. If they are doing well enough to get my business in the first place, what odds does it make? They've overheads that are paid back into the country in the way of staff, utilities, logistics, maintenance. Is it any more or less than those that are having issues and are calling for these pricing measures to be put in place?

Because this is what it comes down to. A matter of how the business of alcohol production and sales is managed.

It's been the same debate for near on 250 years and the only point the on agenda has ever been, "How do we maximise the amount of money we get from the punter."

The record needs to be smashed and starts with denying this farce of an idea, that minimum pricing on alcohol is needed.

And yet still miraculously single...

I've had about 8 relationships in my life, they don't all end in marriage. I'm still young.

I have done in the past, hardly taking advantage when they are falling over me. It is from experience that I realise I don't like it and hence don't do it anymore.

Someone has certainly got a high opinion of himself. Your entire arguement seems to be, I don't drink and as such other people shouldn't drink as much so that I can meet a lady. You know that you can ask for a number outside of the pub or club scene.

So in your world there are only two dating scenes: one is the pre-watershed dry sh1tes exchanging phone numers like 12 year olds in a playground and returning home at a respectable hour to look forward to your hand holding frolick the following week...and the post watershed seedy pit full of dipsos and fat whores engaging in filthy, drink fuelled orgies with er...poultry. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I don't drink, and I find it revolting having sex with someone while they are drunk and I'm sober

So what's the price of alcohol got to do with you then ? You don't drink just because you think it should go up in price as it wont effect you ? I have posted several statistics about drinking here and in the EU and the price. Were in the middle for consumption in the EU and 2nd on price. Consumption has gone down year on year also. So putting the price up does what exactly ?

Someone has certainly got a high opinion of himself. Your entire arguement seems to be, I don't drink and as such other people shouldn't drink as much so that I can meet a lady. You know that you can ask for a number outside of the pub or club scene.

No, my argument is that people in this county drink too much and that cheap alcohol is not helping the situation.

then why are you trolling bars to hook up with people?

I'm not. My post was clearly made in jest - Seems your sense of humour is at home with your little black book of phone numbers :P

No, my argument is that people in this county drink too much and that cheap alcohol is not helping the situation.

Stop saying that it's not cheap here were the 2nd most expensive country in the whole EU for alcohol. wish people would get there facts straight first. before crying it's to cheap.

So what's the price of alcohol got to do with you then ? You don't drink just because you think it should go up in price as it wont effect you ? I have posted several statistics about drinking here and in the EU and the price. Were in the middle for consumption in the EU and 2nd on price. Consumption has gone down year on year also. So putting the price up does what exactly ?

I still live in Ireland, it will affect the people around me. I just don't see the problem with raising the price of alcohol to a minimum price per unit. I think it would stop people from drinking as much which in turn would benefit society.

• Advertisement

SOME people in this country drink too much and Ireland isn't even the top drinkers in Europe.
    Illegal governmental price fixing is not the answer. Ireland drink problems have nothing to do with cheap alcohol. we have the nearly the most expensive alcohol in the EU

Stop saying that it's not cheap here were the 2nd most expensive country in the whole EU for alcohol. wish people would get there facts straight first. before crying it's to cheap.

look 24 cans for €20 is cheap, I don't care if other countries are cheaper they don't have the same gdp as this country. Irish people earn more and as such luxuries cost more.

SOME people in this country drink too much and Ireland isn't even the top drinkers in Europe.
    Illegal governmental price is not the answer.

Most people in this country drink too much, just look at casualty on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

look 24 cans for €20 is cheap, I don't care if other countries are cheaper they don't have the same gdp as this country. Irish people earn more and as such luxuries cost more.

That's not too bad to have over 4 - 6 weekends.

Ow wait... I'm meant to be doing that overnight?

Is that what you think of everyone who gets those deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

This is simply the Government admitting that they are unwilling and unable to deal with the real issue of excess alcohol consumption, anti-social behaviour. It's also the Government bowing to the Vinter's association lobby group and shifting another tax on the population. One man's crime becomes everyone's responsibility.

The real solution to the problem of excess alcohol consumption is massive fines for anti-social behaviour when destruction and vandalism occurs, lengthy prison sentences for violent behaviour, higher premiums for those who have private health insurance, such as with smokers, and lower priority in accessing medical treatment for those on medical cards who do not attempt to curb their excess alcohol consumption.

I'm not. My post was clearly made in jest - Seems your sense of humour is at home with your little black book of phone numbers :P

As was my reply, perhaps you shouldn't take things so literal in After Hours.

Most people in this country drink too much, just look at casualty on a Friday or Saturday night.
    you are talking bollix. you're probably a recovering alcoholic yourself. you seriously contend that the majority of the Irish population has a drink problem?

stop talking bol*x go look a the figures i posted about EU consumption. I think you will find everywhere in the EU the A&E are jammers. You seem just anti alcohol anti fun.

This is simply the Government admitting that they are unwilling and unable to deal with the real issue of excess alcohol consumption, anti-social behaviour. It's also the Government bowing to the Vinter's association lobby group and shifting another tax on the population. One man's crime becomes everyone's responsibility.

The real solution to the problem of excess alcohol consumption is massive fines for anti-social behaviour when destruction and vandalism occurs, lengthy prison sentences for violent behaviour, higher premiums for those who have private health insurance, such as with smokers, and lower priority in accessing medical treatment for those on medical cards who do not attempt to curb their excess alcohol consumption.

And where are they going to get the money to police these infractions?

• Advertisement

Where are people getting 24 cans fir €20? The cheapest cans are usually around €1 euro. Sure there's a few ownbrand that may sell tor cheaper but you rarely see anyone drinking them.

Minimum pricing for alcahol exists simply to take more money off the Irish people who are already being taken to the cleaners by the government. Just because a small percentage of the country cant drink responsibly does not mean everyone should be penalised. If this goes ahead and doesn't get challenged at a European level then don't be surprised if next year a can of coke costs €2 and after that theres minimum pricing on any foodstuffs that "contribute" to obesity or anything else the government can manipulate in order to take more money in.

Advertisement