Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC v Eircom

• 22-10-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

I am currently with Eircom NGB paying €50 a month bundle.

Obviously I can essentially upgrade for free to Fibre 70m/bs

But having that option presented to me, prior to signing a new contract I have checked around.

UPC offers 200m/bs plus the off peak calls, unlimited data for €52 a month
    http://www.upc.ie/broadbandandphone/

Eircom's offering is up to 70m/bs, off peak calls and unlimited data.

It would almost seem a no brainer to me to go with UPC for an extra €2p/m for over twice the download speed.

Am I missing something here?

The only "issue" I can think of is, despite being in NCD, and having UPC on my road, I could never get the HD TV services here (cable doesn't reach house apparently) and had to go for the MMDS service (was crap and eventually I cancelled).

Does not having that cable also affect broadband services?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, you need to have cable, in order to get UPC Broadband. The BB comes in over the cable.

If you can get the cable installed, then there is no catch, UPC BB is far superior, as they use superior technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, you need to have cable, in order to get UPC Broadband. The BB comes in over the cable.

If you can get the cable installed, then there is no catch, UPC BB is far superior, as they use superior technology.

Thanks.

They wouldn't install the required TV cable (it only went to the junction box on the (public) road and for some reason, just in my case, the connection from road to my house never done. They said the expense and procedure was too much to justify.

Guess I'm stuck with Eircom

Advertisement