Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry-Level Job Prospects Vancouver / Toronto

Options
  • 22-10-2013 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Any comments?

I'm almost ready to move over, I'll go shortly after Christmas and I've been set on Vancouver. But I keep reading that it's hard as nails to start off a career there - unless you know everyone.

I'll be looking for entry-level positions in communications, consulting and media (writing, editing) and I'm very open-minded beyond that. I graduated last Autumn (international business) and I'm doing an unpaid internship (can't get work here, who knew? :rolleyes: ) as a news editor.

I keep reading Canadian professionals, agencies and even the Average Joe in forums like: http://www.city-data.com/forum/vancouver/ saying that prospects are tough, you're almost a goner without networking contacts etc.

Honestly I'm extremely shy (graveyards are louder at first) at first and tremendously independent (always moving away from the pack). None of that sounds good for job-hunting in Vancouver if networking is key. It's not all hopeless though - anything competitive, group-orientated, topical or intellectual brings out the best in me and I'm not quiet then.

Would prospects be a lot better in Toronto because of it's size, diversitiy of work, number of companies and headquarters etc? Is it as networking-dependent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Everywhere is network driven,
    Would not be a lot of difference between them.
    Hope you have lots of cash entry level jobs and the cost living in Vancouver would not be a happy mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Any comments?

I'm almost ready to move over, I'll go shortly after Christmas and I've been set on Vancouver. But I keep reading that it's hard as nails to start off a career there - unless you know everyone.

I'll be looking for entry-level positions in communications, consulting and media (writing, editing) and I'm very open-minded beyond that. I graduated last Autumn (international business) and I'm doing an unpaid internship (can't get work here, who knew? :rolleyes: ) as a news editor.

I keep reading Canadian professionals, agencies and even the Average Joe in forums like: http://www.city-data.com/forum/vancouver/ saying that prospects are tough, you're almost a goner without networking contacts etc.

Honestly I'm extremely shy (graveyards are louder at first) at first and tremendously independent (always moving away from the pack). None of that sounds good for job-hunting in Vancouver if networking is key. It's not all hopeless though - anything competitive, group-orientated, topical or intellectual brings out the best in me and I'm not quiet then.

Would prospects be a lot better in Toronto because of it's size, diversitiy of work, number of companies and headquarters etc? Is it as networking-dependent?

Apply to best buy for a digital copywriter position. I believe they crop up semi regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Any comments?

I'm in Vancouver and the Irish here really look out for each other so I would recommend joining one of the various networks or Facebook groups. I sometimes go to their outings. Have you joined any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I hate when people compare the two cities for job prospects, Toronto has a city population of well over 2.5 million and also consdier Mississauga 30 mins down the road has a pop of over 700k, Markham over 300K and the list goes on. Vancouver has a pop of 600K so realistically I'd say the market for somebody who is socially shy (like you are) might offer more in the TO hub. Van is a great city but very different to Toronto, it's like comparing Galway to Dublin really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

It's not about comparing vibes or lifestyle though, the angle I'm coming from is economic characteristics. That is two apples that you can compare.

I have a basic idea of the few areas that Vancouver seems to be very strong or rising in e.g. import/export, biotechnology, tourism, primary resources especially logging, some areas of tech. (business and engineering). I understand Toronto to be a backbone of the economy, the center of finance, consulting, communications, media and Forbes has listed it as one of the top ten highest economic growth cities globally for the next decade.

I understand the multiplier effect for most jobs, comparing Van and Tor. What I'm asking is, is it prohibitively difficult to start a business career there directly after college?

Browsing some Canadian forums, a lot like Boards, I found a lot of Canadians describing the city as a 'retirement home for wealthy foreigners to park their money' and that the city is more about 'small start-ups'. I seen it described as a 'Monte Carlo of Canada'. If any of that is remotely accurate, then I'd head to Toronto instead.

Why wouldn't you compare cities for job prospects? Would you send a big-time banker to Vancouver, an oil-worker to Montreal, a logger to Halifax?

p.s. I don't think anyone is 'thinking wrong' I guess we're just thinking differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

It's not so much the comparing but a lot of people come over to Vancouver thinking it's a huge city and then when they land in a small competitive jobs market they think why didn't anybody tell me. (I just want to get it there when people ask the question of where should I go) Of course you go where you skills are required but I'm just saying that for Entry level jobs Toronto naturally has a bigger market than a smaller city like Vancouver but if you heart is set on Vancouver I'm sure there is probably a decent market for entry level jobs, but it's probably a bigger gamble that TO.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shalamov

I arrived in Vancouver recently enough looking for communications work. I have nine years of experience (newspapers, magazines, bit of government work, etc) and am still finding the adjustment a little strange.

I'm not sure if this is reflected throughout Canada, but if you think you can just send out a few CVs, kick back and wait for the job offers, you're wasting your time. It is absolutely vital to get out there and try to meet people, even professionals who aren't in your field, to let them know what you're about and why you would be a good employee. It's a small city, as you know: you never know who these people will know and if you're lucky, they'll talk about you if something to do with entry-level comms comes up.

It's good that you've done a bit of unpaid work; keep it up. Vancouverites love to know that you're involved in charities, start-ups, websites etc, basically to prove that you're an active person who wants to get involved. When you get here, there will be plenty of opportunities to pitch articles to papers and magazines - I've found they're much more receptive to pitches than publishers at home.

It's always an idea to take a temp job while you search for what you really want to do. Something like construction pays well and is in relatively good supply over here (especially compared to back home), and you can use your time off to go to interviews, meet people, etc. Another thing, people over here are generally amenable to meeting up randomly. You could realistically email a comms manager in a firm you want to work with, ask him or her out for a coffee, and they'll be receptive to it. No chance of that back home.

You say in your OP that you're painfully shy. This has to be rectified. Vancouverites tell people how awesome they are on a daily basis; you have to able to meet a random person and say with absolute conviction why you are a great fit for their firm. It sounds tough but it's easier than you'd imagine - you get into a different mindset fairly quickly.

Networking contacts will be easy to find if you're dedicated. There's a good Irish presence here who will be happy to help you out, but again don't expect a job to fall into your lap. I've been looking for three weeks and am only getting interviews now because I'm trying to talk to as many people as possible. For the first week I sent out loads of CVs and got nowhere. Following up is the key.

As for the city itself, Vancouver is an excellent spot. The nightlife is a bit tame, but there's a million things to do on your days off. All the Irish I know over here have embraced the scene, going hiking, mountain biking, skiing, kayaking all the time, the works. It more than makes up for the (relative) lack of craic IMO.

If you stick at it, you'll succeed. Best of luck over here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Phonehead - I totally agree about the better entry level prospects in Toronto. I guess I'm just trying to find a way out! :rolleyes:

Shalamov - Many thanks for the feedback. You know, you find many stories in the Facebook Irish in Van/Tor groups of people kicking back and getting work in no time. I'm convinced some details are missing, perhaps connections or something. Lots of people on there say they got work within one week or two. I have no thought of it really being that easy, I'm absolutely ready to buckle down for the long-haul and I've about 5 months living expenses to tide me over. I want to give myself the best chance.

I'm glad the unpaid work will beneficial. I did start to wonder recently how far it would go.

I'm thrilled that people in Canada are so open to meetings. I will definitely make use of that.

As for the shyness, there is some hope. I'm usually shy to start with, but not later. I guess I find something intimidating about formalised 'networking events', though I don't know why. But I don't lack initiative (re: invitation for coffee). Groups are far easier, I did years of debating through school and college (captain, champion and coach). Groups, I can handle.

Many thanks and good luck! :D

Advertisement