Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reflux--losec

Options
  • 22-10-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I've an 8 month old with significant reflux. I spend my days washing floors and changing the baby due to reflux. Doesn't seem to overly bother the baby, maybe once or twice a day but at this stage I'm starting to despair. My GP wants to continue with gaviscon but I'm thinking its time to start meds. Did those who have babies on losec get a script from their GP or did you have to see a paediatrician?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

NBO wrote: »
    I've an 8 month old with significant reflux. I spend my days washing floors and changing the baby due to reflux. Doesn't seem to overly bother the baby, maybe once or twice a day but at this stage I'm starting to despair. My GP wants to continue with gaviscon but I'm thinking its time to start meds. Did those who have babies on losec get a script from their GP or did you have to see a paediatrician?

Hi NBO

I've a 6 month old on losec, he's on it for silent reflux. We got it from a paediatrician. I believe some GPs will prescribe it but some are hesitant because its actually not licensed in young babies.

Thing is though that losec works by reducing stomach acid and so is very good for treating the headtburn like pain that babies with reflux can get. It's not particularly good at stopping the vomiting element. I think gaviscon or thickeners are best for that.

I feel for you with all that washing. My mother tells me she had to cover the floor in plastic sheets til I was 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

What about zantac? My lo is on it for reflux and it works wonders. No more vomiting. He was losing loads of weight from the reflux. No more problems now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My little fella was on Zantac for silent reflux too. I think that's what crumlin prescribe now above losec (pharmacist queries it with crumlin at the time).

Op, I'd imagine that unless your little one is in pain or losing weight a consultant would be reluctant to prescribe this. I could be wrong though. Once our little boy wasn't in pain anymore (around 4 months), we took him off the Zantac. He's long on solids now but usually would puke some of his morning bottle, particularly if we let him build up wind throughout drinking his bottle. Now I always just have a towel at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

Thanks for the replies. he's gaining weight steadily so as posters said its unlikely he'll be prescribed anything. Its a nightmare since he started solids, milk spew is so more easier to clean up. Guess I'll just have to wait until his oesphageal sphincter to mature!!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

We had 2 reflux babies-
    Both Losec and Zantac work to reduce stomach acid production- which removes the heart burn pain that baby gets. It allows them to sleep and all that wriggling and inconsolable crying can stop. They don't stop the burping/possetting and mini puking- we added Gaviscon (thickener) to their bottles and that helped but to be honest not very significantly.
    We started with Zantac but both times the kids went onto Losec within 4-6 weeks as they get accustomed to Zantac and it no longer worked as effectively. The bringing up improved significantly once they were able to sit up and eat solids.
    Number one continued on Losec until 18 months or so with decreased dosages from 1/2 tab twice a day til we finished at about 1/4 tab every second day. Number two finished with Losec much earlier. Our GP was very good and after the initial appt with Paediatrician for number 1 he managed their care. To be honest when it came to number 2 we knew as much if not more than the doctors. What's most important is that the child thrives-eats and drinks. It can be very stressful trying to administer Losec as you have to dissolve the tablets and administer it to the baby (we syringed it into the baby's mouth.....) however its far preferable to the pain and crying that they would otherwise have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement