Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy allowances or perks

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

n97 mini wrote: »
    A day in another office wouldn't normally start at the office, it'd start from home, and I never lived with anyone I worked with ;)

Suppose it was only a matter of time before you tried to make it a private vs public, but the reality is very few private sector employers pay even half the mileage rate the public sector pays.

That's true, but in my time in the private sector I had a decent enough expensed company car - only for the latter half of my stint as an employee in that part of the economy. It broke my heart to hand back the keys when I took the job in the PS :(

We've lease cars now for some jobs - Kias!! My last car in the private sector was an Audi A4 - mind you I don't miss paying the BIK. No BIK payable on the Kias because they're operated as pool vehicles and returned to a base each evening unless someone is away off on a job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sarumite wrote: »
    Well it can be a little bit more difficult in the private sector, especially if there is no union. It is more typical for bosses in the private sector to make unilateral decision than it is in the PS. That is not to say it doesn't happen in the PS, only that there is usually greater consultation which allows the employees a greater input into the decision making process. This was particularly the case in the negotiations over the CPA and then later the HRA where the employees were able to make a contribution towards the outcome. I am not aware of similar agreements existing en-masse within the private sector.

In fairness to my previous boss in the private sector. In 2008 he took us all into the meeting room (15 employees, consulting engineering firm). And asked us he we wanted a 10% pay cut or make 1-2 employees redundant.

Gave us all a few mins to think about it, and we went with the pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

kceire wrote: »
    In fairness to my previous boss in the private sector. In 2008 he took us all into the meeting room (15 employees, consulting engineering firm). And asked us he we wanted a 10% pay cut or make 1-2 employees redundant.

Gave us all a few mins to think about it, and we went with the pay cut.

I remember going to total fitness on the malahide road the day it closed. There were several lads standing outside who found out they lost their jobs by reading the notice on the door. They had gone home that night not knowing that when they woke up the next morning they would be unemployed.

I am sure there are individual stories, especially in small business, where consulation does occur however in large MNC's for example you are more likely to experience what the staff at Pfizer experience. Called into a meeting to be told 177 jobs would be lost. Stuff like that doesn't happen in the PS as management don't generally make those decision on a unilateral basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

however in large MNC's for example you are more likely to experience what the staff at Pfizer experience. Called into a meeting to be told 177 jobs would be lost.

What do they expect? That a PNC would have any regard for it's employees?

You pays your money you takes your choice.
    Stuff like that doesn't happen in the PS as management don't generally make those decision on a unilateral basis.

You dont know what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

chopper6 wrote: »
    What do they expect? That a PNC would have any regard for it's employees?

You pays your money you takes your choice.

You dont know what you're talking about.

To be honest, I might disagree with @sarumite on a few things, but in this regard he's fairly spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Godge wrote: »
    The public sector mileage rates are approved by Revenue for the purposes of the maximum allowable tax-free expenses. They are widely used in the private sector

No private sector employer I have ever worked for has paid the same rate as the PS. I'd challenge you to name one company that pays regular employees (not directors) the PS rate.

you cannot claim from your residence, only from the offices which you are based.
    Yes you can if it is a shorter distance.
    If there is no bus stop at your house, then how do you get to the office nomally?
    How does anyone? Drive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

No private sector I have ever worked for has paid the same rate as the PS. I'd challenge you to name one company that pays regular employees (not directors) the PS rate.

When I worked in accountancy practice (small firm) I was paid the civil service rates for motor travel. Friends in other small/medium firms were the same.

Not sure about big 4, but I'd be surprised if they didn't...

@BS/Itchianus, point is the norm in the PS is not the norm in the private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It's your boss that decides which expenses scheme to administer. If your boss approves, then you can use the public sector flat-rate just like anyone else.

All detailed here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it54.html

If your boss is annoying you, then quit your job and become self-employed. Then you can run your company any way you see fit (subject to Revenue rules :D).

• Advertisement

@BS/Itchianus, point is the norm in the PS is not the norm in the private sector.

That's not the point you made - you specifically challenged someone to give you an instance of the private sector paying civil service rates.

Pretty much every private sector IT consultant (whether a director or an employee via umbrella) claims these "civil service subsistence" rates, as detailed in link above.

Yes you can if it is a shorter distance

No, you can't. You specifically cannot be paid mileage for a journey between home and your place of work, except to a temporary place of work which is further away than your normal place of work, and as previous poster said then the distance from home-normal workplace is disregarded.

That's not the point you made - you specifically challenged someone to give you an instance of the private sector paying civil service rates.

It is the point I made, by way of a challenge.
    No you can't.
    Yes I did. And the accountant was happy to do so when I told him it was saving money.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Pretty much every private sector IT consultant (whether a director or an employee via umbrella) claims these "civil service subsistence" rates, as detailed in link above.

Of course they do as they are self employed and in the position to minimise their tax liability. Regular employees are not.

Ironically some people, including some PS employees, complain about the self employed claiming the same level of expenses as the PS.

It is the point I made, by way of a challenge.
    You said no employer of yours ever paid CS rates - I've never had an employer who hasn't paid CS rates. Is your employment history "the norm", and mine is not?

Yes I did. And the accountant was happy to do so when I told him it was saving money.
    Just because you did something doesn't mean it's correct. When I say you can't do it, I mean "can't" in the same way as when I say you can't go driving around running over pedestrians.

There are normal employees claiming this as well, it's entirely a choice by the company. The reason these flat-rate expenses exist is to cut down on paperwork and administration, not to provide a tax dodge.

If I really wanted to pinch pennies I could keep all my receipts from Centra...

You said no employer of yours ever paid CS rates - I've never had an employer who hasn't paid CS rates. Is your employment history "the norm", and mine is not?

Just because you did something doesn't mean it's correct. When I say you can't do it, I mean "can't" in the same way as when I say you can't go driving around running over pedestrians.

You can argue over semantics, off with you.

Of course they do as they are self employed and in the position to minimise their tax liability. Regular employees are not.

Ironically some people, including some PS employees, complain about the self employed claiming the same level of expenses as the PS.

There's a substantial distinction between "self-employed" individuals and company directors.

Directors are employees of the company they are directors of, self-employed people are in business on their own account - and the type of expenses and methodology for claiming them differ substantially.

• Advertisement

There are normal employees claiming this as well, it's entirely a choice by the company.
    And the company pays for it out of their own pocket, i.e. it costs the company money directly, which is why most opt for a lower rate.

You can argue over semantics, off with you.

Hardly semantics - you reckon that just because your employer facilitated you in incorrectly claiming mileage that it's OK generally, when clearly it's not.

And what if the flat-rate expenses work out lower than the receipts?

There's a substantial distinction between "self-employed" individuals and company directors.
    Trees, forest. Again you're missing the bigger picture here and getting bogged down in semantics. Those that can reduce their tax liability will.

Trees, forest. Again you're missing the bigger picture here and getting bogged down in semantics. Those that can reduce their tax liability will.

It's starting to look like you don't understand the meaning of the word semantics - pointing out that two very different things are in fact two very different things, is not engaging in semantics.

And what if the flat-rate expenses work out lower than the receipts?

Broad question. Which ever leaves the most money in the bank.

• Advertisement

Yes you can if it is a shorter distance!

No you can't. End of.

If my normal commute to work is 10km but the distance from my house to the site is 6km, then I am not travelling above and beyond my normal distance, and hence I cannot claim the mileage. Please do some research on the topic of your silly rants.

No you can't. End of.

If my normal commute to work is 10km but the distance from my house to the site is 6km, then I am not travelling above and beyond my normal distance, and hence I cannot claim the mileage. Please do some research on the topic of your silly rants.

Eh, you didn't think that one through did you.

From my house my normal office is 10km that way ->
    From my house the field office is 50km that way <-
    From the regular office the field office is therefore 60km.

I claim for 50km, which is the actual distance covered, and everyone, including the accountant, is happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No, you can't. You specifically cannot be paid mileage for a journey between home and your place of work, except to a temporary place of work which is further away than your normal place of work, and as previous poster said then the distance from home-normal workplace is disregarded.

even if it's closer you can claim from normal work place to temp, great if you happen to live 30km from the office but only 5km from the depot.
    Was a common enough occurrence working for Tesco in DL and travelling to the depots for placements or whatnot

Eh, you didn't think that one through did you.

From my house my normal office is 10km that way ->
    From my house the field office is 50km that way <-
    From the regular office the field office is therefore 60km.

I claim for 50km, which is the actual distance covered, and everyone, including the accountant, is happy.

Ehh, you didn't read any posts did you. Of course you can claim above and beyond, but not for less.

Please re-read your rants. Thanks. , ok, bye bye now. Thanks again.

No private sector employer I have ever worked for has paid the same rate as the PS. I'd challenge you to name one company that pays regular employees (not directors) the PS rate.

Challenge accepted. Both my previous private sector companies paid above the CS rates. Challenge completed.

• Advertisement

Challenge accepted. Both my previous private sector companies paid above the CS rates. Challenge completed.

Ok, good man ;)

even if it's closer you can claim from normal work place to temp, great if you happen to live 30km from the office but only 5km from the depot.
    Was a common enough occurrence working for Tesco in DL and travelling to the depots for placements or whatnot

ooooops, sorry yes, you're right of course :o

Sorry n97, you were right on that point too, major brainfart on my part... You still lost your challenge though ;)

Ok, good man ;)

Either way, mute point.

If you do the mileage for your employer, you are entitled to be reimbursed. CS mileage rates are not that high when compared to the costs of motoring in this country and in no way constitute a crazy allowance or perk in either the private or public sector.

It's a small reimbursement for costs incurred.

I haven't actual seen many crazy allowances in this thread now that I think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

The only person "complaining" about the use of the revenue-approved mileage expenses is you.

The rest of us are pointing out and clarifying that the use of them is widespread both in the private and public sector.

Advertisement