Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Connection

• 22-10-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there,

I'm trying to connect a triax freeview box in my apartment. I was told it was wired for satellite so didn't think I'd have much problems however, I can not pick up the bbc etc. I am picking up rte etc.

I've opened the wall outlet which has three cables, one connected, I assume this has an aerial at the other end and two loose cables, I assume these are going to the satellite lnb?

What do I need to connect the dish to the box? F connectors? New wall outlet unit?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jerryberry

basically you should have a cable running from lnb to your satelite box receiver...you cannot joint a cable for satellite...has to be 1 piece from box to lnb
    f connectors on both ends..
    make sure your dish is pointing in right direction to pick up the freeview channela only a degree lefy or right and it wont work...
    also make sure the dish is at 90degrees to the wall again if this is off you wont pick up signal...
    there should be a feature in your satellite receiver to check the lnb...
    also should be a feature to check the signal strength..
    do this first when all is connected..
    again you can buy a satellite finder but its kinda waste just for a one off..
    you can also just google your location and find what satellite for your area..
    and where its located,,,a compass comes in handy but i also know theres an i phone app for this..
    also go onto youtube to see the correct way of joining coxial cable..

if your dish was already in use it may just be your coxial to f clips that arent stripped properly..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Terryfields

Thanks jerry,

It's an apartment so, it's a shared satellite dish as far as I know. My particular apartment hasn't been hooked up to the dish yet. I'll get a couple of f connectors and hopefully it'll work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jerryberry

it can be as simple as how the cable is stripped theres a correct way it has to be stripped...you can see how on youtube...
    i would say its just cable that needs to be stripped properly..
    if its an aprtment and professional installed it should be good to go..
    just check the cable as i said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Mine is jointed twice -- works perfectly ( to my eye anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hi there,

I'm trying to connect a triax freeview box in my apartment. I was told it was wired for satellite so didn't think I'd have much problems however, I can not pick up the bbc etc. I am picking up rte etc.

I've opened the wall outlet which has three cables, one connected, I assume this has an aerial at the other end and two loose cables, I assume these are going to the satellite lnb?

What do I need to connect the dish to the box? F connectors? New wall outlet unit?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

First question, what is the exact model of the box? I'm assuming your goal is to get FTA ( free-to-air ) TV?

FYI, you will get all the advice you need if you ask a mod to move this to tech/satellite forum. Jerryberry's advice is all over the place, no offence jerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

You can join a Satellite cable, works perfect once done right!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Terryfields

Thanks fellas, I more or less have it sorted jerryberry sorted me on the other thread! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jaabry

Hi all,
    I have a Freesat dish and two connections running from it, one TV has perfect signal on all stations, the other TV gets a poor signal on the irish stations. Any idea on what could be causing this? The dish is fitted with a Quadband LNB??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

jerryberry wrote: »
    basically you should have a cable running from lnb to your satelite box receiver...you cannot joint a cable for satellite...has to be 1 piece from box to lnb
    f connectors on both ends..
    make sure your dish is pointing in right direction to pick up the freeview channela only a degree lefy or right and it wont work...
    also make sure the dish is at 90degrees to the wall again if this is off you wont pick up signal...
    there should be a feature in your satellite receiver to check the lnb...
    also should be a feature to check the signal strength..
    do this first when all is connected..
    again you can buy a satellite finder but its kinda waste just for a one off..
    you can also just google your location and find what satellite for your area..
    and where its located,,,a compass comes in handy but i also know theres an i phone app for this..
    also go onto youtube to see the correct way of joining coxial cable..

if your dish was already in use it may just be your coxial to f clips that arent stripped properly..

It can have a join and work no problems
    The dish been 90degrees to the wall will have no impact at all on it's reception or function..

Do buy a cheap meter to set the dish or ask a few mates usually lidl dishes come free with one.
    If your facing the dish the lnb should be angled to the 7o clock position.
    Trying to set a dish by the meter "built in" is a complete waste of time and not accurate enough to use,it will take you take the day to do it like this..

Advertisement