Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Ajax 7:45 Setanta Ireland and SS3

• 22-10-2013 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

The first in two crucial back to back encounters between traditional European giants Celtic and Ajax.

Celtic need to get points on the board and realistically will need all three if they are to harbour hopes of playing European football post-Christmas this season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Celtic team: Forster, Lustig, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Izaguirre, Forrest, Kayal, Mulgrew, Samaras, Stokes, Pukki.

Celtic subs: Zaluska, Ledley, Biton, Balde, Rogic, Atajic, Fisher.

Ajax lineup v #Celtic - Cillessen; Van Rhijn, Veltman, Denswil, Blind; De Jong, Poulsen, Serero; Andersen, Sigthórsson, Fischer.

Izzy didnt know what to do with the racism card! :D

Another botched Celtic lineup on the screen!

EDIT

Pukki should have hit the target there. That is the type of chance that cant be continually wasted tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Christ, Celtic looking dodgy. Ajax hit the post

Forster should have sweepered that one

What a tackle by Kayal though!

Dempsey wrote: »
    Forster should have sweepered that one

Looked like Kayal was telling Forster that

• Advertisement

1-0 Penalty, Forrest

Foul on Stokes

Yea! Well Done Forrest! The holdup didnt help him one bit!

Some frown on De Boer now!

The keeper should have been booked for gamesmanship. I have no idea why Van Dijk was booked for

Learn to header a ball Stokes!

EDIT

Great save by Forster, he should have scored!

Yes!!! Kayal 2-0!

• Advertisement

2-0 Kayal after Ajax nearly scored

Edit: Big deflection from the guy who gave away the peno

Ref should book that lad!

What a miss from Ajax, Van Dijk playing the guys onside

Great stuff by Kayal!

EDIT

I wish we had Wilson to partner Van Dijk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Sammy playing well,Forster proving again he is world class,Should be England No.1 ahead of Hart

I would have taken Pukki off

I would have taken Pukki off

I think that would have required changes to the system and Lennon has gotten it spot on.

Pukki is closing them down well at the back, wish he'd be more of a goal threat though

EDIT

The officials are idiots!

Well done Sammy, take one for the team!

Biton sent off for a stud showing high tackle... what a feckin idiot!

Harsh red for Biton there!

EDIT

Good save by Forster

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Harsh red for Biton there!

EDIT

Good save by Forster

No arguments from me on the red. Silly boy. If Brown got a red for what he did, then that was defo a red for Biton. Showing the studs sliding in, dangerous tackle.

• Advertisement

I thought it was deserved

2-1 Good goal

Edit: Finished 2-1, thank god Biton came on so late... he lasted 11 minutes on the pitch

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Nice one, 3 points on the board. Will need to play better than that in Holland though, I thought we were very sloppy at times. Thought Mulgrew actually had a decent game, along with Kayal and Van Dijk. Ambrose good but still a bit shaky at times. Missed Commons and Brown big time tonight.

Dont think the Brown sending off has any relevance here

There was a lack of consistency from the referee with that decision imo

Dont think the Brown sending off has any relevance here

There was a lack of consistency from the referee with that decision imo

No, it wasn't a comparable situation of course, but my point is with the Brown red, there was some debate. There was no question whatsoever with Biton's red when you see it. Daft challenge and deserved red.

I saw the tackle, just felt the referee wasnt consistent.

Surprised nothing was asked of Lennon about the sending off.

de Boer is very sore in his post match interview!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Nervy last few minutes but great result!

We'll be lucky to get a result of any sort in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Good result for Celtic and much needed. Thought they were second best for large parts. I only really watch them in CL but Samaras is the most brain-dead footballer I've seen in a long time, incredibly headless.

Forster is some keeper, he'd start for most big teams in the world I'd say. Forrest and Pukki looked very decent. They missed Commons and Brown badly. I think Commons is their best player after Forster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I wish we had Wilson to partner Van Dijk!

Exact same thought crossed my mind during the second half, thought Van Dijk was awesome tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Great result. Got a bit of luck for a change with Kayal's deflected goal. Can go to Amsterdam now with a bit of confidence and with a better performance should get a result over there.

GBXI wrote: »
    Good result for Celtic and much needed. Thought they were second best for large parts. I only really watch them in CL but Samaras is the most brain-dead footballer I've seen in a long time, incredibly headless.

Absolute rubbish. He can frustrate at times, but to call him "brain-dead" and "incredibly headless" is nonsense. He's given a specific task to do when he plays on the wing, and against opposition the quality of Ajax, Barca and AC Milan, he's done a very good job overall.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. He can frustrate at times, but to call him "brain-dead" and "incredibly headless" is nonsense. He's given a specific task to do when he plays on the wing, and against opposition the quality of Ajax, Barca and AC Milan, he's done a very good job overall.

I can't agree with that. The amount of times that he runs the ball into the opposition, out over the side/end-line, or just tries to take someone on that he doesn't have the pace for. He's so frustrating. Compared to say Forrest on the other wing, who actually knows his limitations and most of the time makes the right decision. That's my view having watched Celtic in the CL the last two seasons.

I can't agree with that. The amount of times that he runs the ball into the opposition, out over the side/end-line, or just tries to take someone on that he doesn't have the pace for. He's so frustrating. Compared to say Forrest on the other wing, who actually knows his limitations and most of the time makes the right decision. That's my view having watched Celtic in the CL the last two seasons.

The 2nd goal was caused by Samaras running at defenders. Forrest fell over and outwitted himself a couple of times last night trying to force a mistake out of players aswell. Im not complaining, nobody beats their man every time. Samaras just was more of an outlet so by virtue of having more of the ball, he made more mistakes.

The only issue I have with Samaras doing what he does is he doesnt get his head up often enough and see if there is an easier option. He makes his mind up that he's taking on the player too quickly, whether thats him or he's told not to consider doing it I'm not sure because Celtic fans have seen him time and time again make defence splitting passes that give the likes of Stokes & Hooper easy finishes. Its not like he doesnt have that facet to his game.

I think he's possibly told to hold onto it to give other players a breather, because we arent playing for high possession in these matches and whilst he's working his man, the defence gets a chance to get their shape back and the attackers get the chance to push up the field.

The 2nd goal was caused by Samaras running at defenders. Forrest fell over and outwitted himself a couple of times last night trying to force a mistake out of players aswell. Im not complaining, nobody beats their man every time. Samaras just was more of an outlet so by virtue of having more of the ball, he made more mistakes.

The only issue I have with Samaras doing what he does is he doesnt get his head up often enough and see if there is an easier option. He makes his mind up that he's taking on the player too quickly, whether thats him or he's told not to consider doing it I'm not sure because Celtic fans have seen him time and time again make defence splitting passes that give the likes of Stokes & Hooper easy finishes. Its not like he doesnt have that facet to his game.

I think he's possibly told to hold onto it to give other players a breather, because we arent playing for high possession in these matches and whilst he's working his man, the defence gets a chance to get their shape back and the attackers get the chance to push up the field.

Fair enough, and I only watch them in the CL, but again that wouldn't be my view on him. I think you're being very nice by saying it is possibly a tactic! The bit in bold is exactly why I was calling him brain-dead/headless, he just isn't what I would call an intelligent footballer.

One player who I have noticed that is very intelligent and skillful, is Chris Commons and I would argue, Celtic's best player.

Fair enough, and I only watch them in the CL, but again that wouldn't be my view on him. I think you're being very nice by saying it is possibly a tactic! The bit in bold is exactly why I was calling him brain-dead/headless, he just isn't what I would call an intelligent footballer.

One player who I have noticed that is very intelligent and skillful, is Chris Commons and I would argue, Celtic's best player.

Forster is Celtic best and most important player imo.

Commons is in the next tier of players with Brown, Samaras, Ledley & Lustig.

I think at one point, all these players were written off, except Ledley! :pac:

Brown was written off as headless under Mowbray, getting the captains armband was the turning point. Seemed to mature with the responsibility.

Forster wasnt agile enough, wasnt good with his feet or able to command his box when he first arrived. Alot of people saw him as just a stop gap! Stevie Woods has done a marvellous job with him.

At one stage Lennon said Samaras was the type of player that could get him fired. He was incredibly inconsistent but alot of that was down to him being played up front, wide left is by far his best position.

Lustig was terrible in his 1st 6 months, injuries and lack of a proper winter break for him to transition didnt help and was capped off by a poor Euros. Cutting his long hair seemed to do the trick! :pac:

Commons had a torrid season 2 years ago Alleged rift with Lennon, constant niggly injuries, overweight, and making light of the his injury problems with that neck brace seemed to convinced alot of fans that he'd be soon out the door. Him turning up for the start of preseason last year fitter than he ever was in the previous season was the first sign that he turned the corner and he's been a revelation since.

Ledley just does the simple things really well and consistently and rarely grabs headlines. Dont think he had a spell where people were fed up with him and wouldnt mind seeing the back of him.

Hard to say Commons is better in his role than those players at theirs but I'd consider them all key and Virgil van Dijk is very quickly looking like he'll be considered as important with the way he's been playing.

• Advertisement

Forster is Celtic best and most important player imo.

Commons is in the next tier of players with Brown, Samaras, Ledley & Lustig.

I think at one point, all these players were written off, except Ledley! :pac:

Brown was written off as headless under Mowbray, getting the captains armband was the turning point. Seemed to mature with the responsibility.

Forster wasnt agile enough, wasnt good with his feet or able to command his box when he first arrived. Alot of people saw him as just a stop gap! Stevie Woods has done a marvellous job with him.

At one stage Lennon said Samaras was the type of player that could get him fired. He was incredibly inconsistent but alot of that was down to him being played up front, wide left is by far his best position.

Lustig was terrible in his 1st 6 months, injuries and lack of a proper winter break for him to transition didnt help and was capped off by a poor Euros. Cutting his long hair seemed to do the trick! :pac:

Commons had a torrid season 2 years ago Alleged rift with Lennon, constant niggly injuries, overweight, and making light of the his injury problems with that neck brace seemed to convinced alot of fans that he'd be soon out the door. Him turning up for the start of preseason last year fitter than he ever was in the previous season was the first sign that he turned the corner and he's been a revelation since.

Ledley just does the simple things really well and consistently and rarely grabs headlines. Dont think he had a spell where people were fed up with him and wouldnt mind seeing the back of him.

Hard to say Commons is better in his role than those players at theirs but I'd consider them all key and Virgil van Dijk is very quickly looking like he'll be considered as important with the way he's been playing.

Actually, you're right Forster is the best/most important player. Commons being the best outfield for me.

Whenever I've seen Brown he has been very good, and seems an important cog in the team without being overly talented. Especially important since Celtic lost their best player, Wanyama. I like Stokes but he has to do more to get himself involved in games, Celtic need goals in these CL games and last year Hooper was getting them.

Wanyama was never Celtic best player, he had potential to be in the same way Forrest has. Last year, his best season, he was behind Samaras, Forster, Commons & Wilson for individual honours by alot of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Actually, you're right Forster is the best/most important player. Commons being the best outfield for me.

Whenever I've seen Brown he has been very good, and seems an important cog in the team without being overly talented. Especially important since Celtic lost their best player, Wanyama. I like Stokes but he has to do more to get himself involved in games, Celtic need goals in these CL games and last year Hooper was getting them.

Hooper scored 2 goals in the group stages last year both against Moscow, was hardly banging them in

Advertisement