Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could My Dog Have A Tick ?

• 22-10-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi all.

My whippet has what feels like a skin tag under his fur on his front shoulder.

My aunt thinks its a tick but is there anything else it could be.

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

What does it look like? If it's grey/brown and has legs, then it's a tick. If it's pink/ any other colour it could be something like a skin tag or wart. Could you put up a picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My dog has grey skin tags/warts and they look very like the pics you see of ticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

maggiepip wrote: »
    My dog has grey skin tags/warts and they look very like the pics you see of ticks.

thanks for the reply's.

it is under the skin and if you squeeze it he doesn't moan. It feels like a hard pea
    i think it may be drying out as it seems to be getting harder as time goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ra0044 wrote: »
    It feels like a hard pea.
    If it's completely under the skin and you can't see legs, then it's not a tick as the only part that needs to be embedded for feeding is the head/mouthpart.

Typical image of what a dog tick in Ireland looks like this:

546w.jpg

Actual tick (Ixodes ricinus)

iil3.jpg

If it's "drying out" then it's not a tick as they get larger rather than smaller as they feed on blood so get really big. Once fully engorged they literally fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

To be honest Id get that checked by the vet. Its probably something simple like a cyst but better to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ra0044

maggiepip wrote: »
    To be honest Id get that checked by the vet. Its probably something simple like a cyst but better to be safe.

Will take him to the vet to be safe.

It doesn't look like the tick in the photos and i cant really get a good picture of it.

thanks to you all again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Anniehoo that 2nd picture of the tick is truly disgusting - but an excellently clear/good 'reference' picture though 8-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Advertisement