Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed increase in student levy to fund "self-financing" An Focal

Options
  • 22-10-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

There's a motion tomorrow for the ULSU AGM that I'm a little confused about:
    Aoife Coughlan has put forward the motion that “the Students Union will hold a referendum on the question: whether €2 should be added to the student annual registration fee for the purpose of funding the campus publications namely An Focal, which is currently expected to be self-financing.”

Two questions:
    1. If An Focal is expected to be self financing, then why does it want to increase each students registration fee by €2 to raise around €20,000+? Doesn't sound very self financing.

2. The newest articles appearing on the front of the anfocal.ie website were published in April/May 2013. Why should anyone be paying anything if An Focal isn't even publishing anything online where its costs are virtually nothing (~€100 per year)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Said this to friend already, even if it hits quorum(doubtful), even if it is still passed(doubtful), if it goes to referendum, i really don't see it being passed. Referendum last year was rejected for facilities that would have been a lot more useful and impactful than an focal.

and if this is going to referendum, why cant we vote on reducing the print run which is the big elephant in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Polar Ice wrote: »
    There's a motion tomorrow for the ULSU AGM that I'm a little confused about:
    Aoife Coughlan has put forward the motion that “the Students Union will hold a referendum on the question: whether €2 should be added to the student annual registration fee for the purpose of funding the campus publications namely An Focal, which is currently expected to be self-financing.”

Two questions:
    1. If An Focal is expected to be self financing, then why does it want to increase each students registration fee by €2 to raise around €20,000+? Doesn't sound very self financing.

The key word is "currently", clearly the aim is to move from a self financed model. To be honest, with the state of media generally this seems like the only way to keep the paper running; even established professional media organisations are unable to break even these days, never mind an amateur student paper in a University far from the capital and therefore far from the center of advertising revenue.
    2. The newest articles appearing on the front of the anfocal.ie website were published in April/May 2013. Why should anyone be paying anything if An Focal isn't even publishing anything online where it's costs are virtually nothing (~€100 per year)?

I don't know, but I suspect that they lack the skills to update the website properly on a regular basis. Presumably there would be a CMS that would allow them to do this easily, but it might be poorly designed, non-existent, or the current people haven't been shown how to use it.

Ridiculous of course, it makes far more sense to focus on the online section.

I still reckon that it would be a big loss to UL to not have a student paper. Other Universities are able to sustain multiple papers, and it provides great experience for people (not just in journalism) in having their writing published.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Subutai wrote: »
    The key word is "currently", clearly the aim is to move from a self financed model.

So the aim is to move it from being self funded to asking students to pay for it?
    I happen to know that the paper hasn't been self funded for the past 2 years. If the proposer of the motion claims they expect it to be self funded, then why make a proposal for students to prop up the paper by over €20k?
    Subutai wrote: »
    I don't know, but I suspect that they lack the skills to update the website properly on a regular basis. Presumably there would be a CMS that would allow them to do this easily, but it might be poorly designed, non-existent, or the current people haven't been shown how to use it.
    The website is built on Wordpress, a really common and easy to use CMS. Wordpress is so easy to use most people can take to it without anyone showing them how to use it.

If An Focal isn't even managing to put articles up on the website for the past 6 months, then why is it looking for €20-30k to print paper copies?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The website is a ridiculous waste of potential IMO. It could have been used to bring up to date news to students in between issues, with the paper itself focusing on more features, reviews, opinions, etc. Instead, it was pretty much abandoned after the Comms Officer position was abolished and was barely utilised at all last year.

As for the CMS, it's WordPress. It's pretty straightforward. I think a bigger issue might be lack of writers to keep a steady stream of content going.

Anyway, for the sake of €2 I'd say fire on. But as freyners points out, there's so many hurdles for it to get through that there is no chance of it ever happening. Nice idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The website is a ridiculous waste of potential IMO. It could have been used to bring up to date news to students in between issues, with the paper itself focusing on more features, reviews, opinions, etc. Instead, it was pretty much abandoned after the Comms Officer position was abolished and was barely utilised at all last year.

Better to have no website or one "under construction" rather than one with out of date information.

No advertising on the site either, no even Google adwords.

A person made a comment above that the media are finding it difficult to break even. I can concur. However, education is one area on the up. Also, aren't UL currently involved in 'jobshop'. Definitely advertising possibilities here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Strangely there was a proposal last year to stop printing the paper because it cost so much money (they said they would breakeven/make a profit last year). In that discussion, a fee for the paper was suggested however the editor stated that no one would buy the paper. Now the proposal is everyone is forced to buy the paper. I would want a copy delivered to every student in student accommodation for that price.

The editor last year didn't want to update the website as it would make the paper obsolete. When asked if the editor would do the same thing the last communication officer did (hiding the medical centre charges from students so it can be a headline in the paper); he said he would. That information should have been on the website as soon as they knew and sent to students immediately; instead it was kept secret for 2 weeks so it could be in the paper. What anfocal needs to realise (and it hasn't for some time) is it is A STUDENT NEWS SOURCE, it is not a paper for someone's cv.

It was suggested last year that anfocal could cease printing the paper fortnightly (and move to monthly); update the website regularly and print leaflets. These leaflets have the benefit of getting information to students cheaper and faster (than the paper); you can also get sponsorship for these leaflets/website/paper. The paper would be important information relevant to students that might have been missed as the website/leaflet is update frequently.

The other option is of course convert anfocal to a club/society and let them budget appropraitely for money like everyone else.

This sets a bad example to other non-essential SU services; students will pay extra for it. We pay ~€95 a year, 1/3rd of that goes to the SU for services. What next? Charge class reps €2 each for the class rep office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

An Focal is a joke at this stage. The paper has been stopped by the SU and since that decision the website has had no updates. Last year when the proposal of stopping the print run was put forward the then editor had the gall to say that An Focal was self funding through ads so much so that it gave money back to the SU. I hope the people that attend tonight vote this proposal down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

As a graduate of UL it pains me to read about the mess this seems to have become.

I very much enjoyed picking up An Focal in the Red Raisins or whatever and reading through it over a coffee. I also know one or two journalism students who contributed to it and told me that writing for it gave them huge confidence and self-satisfaction.

It seems to be a very messy situation now though. Huge pity that it is no longer being printed but I suppose that's reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Polarice wrote:
    I happen to know that the paper hasn't been self funded for the past 2 years. If the proposer of the motion claims they expect it to be self funded, then why make a proposal for students to prop up the paper by over €20k?

I think the wording is used to imply that the the SU expect the paper to be self-financing i.e. the SU will not divert funds to support it. This would appear to be an effort to make up the shortfall.

IMO they should probably move to a web-only publication, with maybe a print run once or twice a year e.g. do a print run for Rag Week and the Sabbat Elections.

She stated that the funding will bring in €26,000 to An Focal (€18,000 for print, rest for an literary magazine)
    While the UGM didn't meet quorum. A quick poll of the students was done to see if the proposal show be pursued into the next meeting.
    Out of the 111 students in attendance
    22 voted in favor
    11 no voted
    78 voted against
    Many reason where brought up include the self funding and profit stated at the last meeting and the under use of the website. None of these issues where address in a satisfactory manner. I.M.O she went up there very under prepared.
    However the killing blow to this proposal was Paddy Rockett. If anyone remembers the second issue of An Focal where the headline story was an opinion piece regarding German teaching in the university that contained racist slurs and liable comments accompanied by a picture of John Cleese goose stepping. This paper has received many complaints from the university. The SU advised the editor to publish an apology in the next print issue. She did publish this apology yet the same paper had another opinion piece agreeing with the original article that containing more racist remarks with the front page picture been no other than Hitler. Don't expect to get a copy of this paper as Rockett is holding them back.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    She stated that the funding will bring in €26,000 to An Focal (€18,000 for print, rest for an literary magazine)

So it wouldn't bring in €26,000 to an focal and instead they wish to reprint the joke and absolutely shameful cellar door magazine again?

Some people's heads need to come right back down from the clouds and maybe even do a bit of investigative journalism and ask students what they would like (or even if they read an focal and why).

I certainly know that most students know an focal is terrible. For the last 3 years an focal seems like it wants to kill itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The only time I read it is when I'm in Red Raisin and the WiFi is ****e! It's kind of a rag, to be honest. While I don't dispute the need for a student paper, I would strong dispute the need for one in this current state.

reunion wrote: »
    So it wouldn't bring in €26,000 to an focal and instead they wish to reprint the joke and absolutely shameful cellar door magazine again?

Some people's heads need to come right back down from the clouds and maybe even do a bit of investigative journalism and ask students what they would like (or even if they read an focal and why).

I certainly know that most students know an focal is terrible. For the last 3 years an focal seems like it wants to kill itself.

Standard has really fallen off with an focal since the comms officer was abolished, which i would apportion most of the blame for the huge drop in standards of the paper. Some brainless aspects, like the german opinion piece (good idea in principal to highlight poor standards in a department, execution was horrendous), also have a part to play.

I like an focal, it nice to have a student paper but in its current format its a complete white elephant, its never up to date, the website is chronically underused and the whole attitude stinks (keeping news back so its in the paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The danger in letting it go now is that re-establishing a new paper down the line will be that much harder. "Look how we've managed without one for the last x time - why do we need it now?" sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I've been saying it for months, if TST could do it why can't An Focal?

Some really good friends of mine were involved with AF when it was at it's best and I'd rather there be no paper than the sh*te that was churned out in the last two years.

I won't even comment on Cellar Door.

The same as any other venture, if AF isn't willing to move with the times and face that it could be more successful online, then let it perish. I love picking up a proper book or paper and I always will. I also love the fact I know I don;t have to swap to a different bag to accommodate the book I'm reading because my kindle is one size fits all. TheJournal.ie is the best online news source I can think of, articles published and updated throughout the day.

Asking students to contribute €2 to An Focal is like asking them to contribute to the repeat fees for a student who spent the year pissed, stoned and not going to class.

Maybe my opinion would be different if the paper had fallen on hard times but it didn't, it fell to pieces.

An Focal? More like An Fcuk All.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dreampie92

The website has since been updated, many of the articles from the last issue that was withheld have gone up. A new website is seriously needed. Any suggestions on how to make the paper better? It would be great if we as students could use this as a way to make the paper better. What would you like to see in the paper? Or any suggestions for a new website?

dreampie92 wrote: »
    The website has since been updated, many of the articles from the last issue that was withheld have gone up. A new website is seriously needed. Any suggestions on how to make the paper better? It would be great if we as students could use this as a way to make the paper better. What would you like to see in the paper? Or any suggestions for a new website?

Well first off, we need to stop thinking of it as a paper. It isn't. It is a student news source. So the question should be how do we make it a better news source for students?

First and biggest thing; tell the editors to cop on and ensure that they know now that it is a student news source. Printing the news source is a privilege and needs to stop being abused and wasted. It is not about getting a headline, it is about informing students.

Second thing, start thinking about articles that would suit an email to all students. For far too long we have had articles about random crap; maybe do a bit of research and find what will students actually read? Is it about national/internationl soccer? fashion? Celebrity gossip? maybe students want a tabloid version instead of broadsheet?

Third thing, start actually reporting on student life.

Fourth thing, start being more involved with students. Social media was used very well last year (twitter anyway not sure about facebook). It seems to have been left to rot since which is a shame. It's a nice way to increase traffic as former students stay liking a page or following the tweets and it gets current information to students asap.

Final thing I can think of right now; get more people. Get a twitter editor, 2 facebook editors, website editor and 3 people in charge of getting articles from c&s and students. This might be the toughest one but in reality you can get all your tweets to automatically post on facebook (or vice versa) and you can send tweets and facebook posts automatically when there is a new article on the website.

Oh and stop saying it's self financing; it isn't and hasn't been for quite a while. It currently costs students money ~€1 per student each year based on 2009/10 and 2010/11 figures (€2.32 per student each year (based on year 2011/12)). So keep it in mind when you are printing things with STUDENT'S money, each newspaper costs >€1 to print and space shouldn't be wasted.

Well I would start by submitting actually news articles onto the site. The site looks more like a blog than a student news source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dreampie92

You have to remember though it is a student paper, there is a news section but there are also many other sections.

The editors have to remember that its not a student paper. The paper was part of An Focal. An Focal is a student news source. But I wonder can we call An Focal a news source when the five articles on the home page carousel are all opinion pieces. Would it not be better if the headline billing when to actual news stories?

• Advertisement

You have to remember though it is a student paper, there is a news section but there are also many other sections.

What 'news' does an focal cover? I see actual news but I don't see an focal's primary function, student news, being covered in the slightest.

Where is the article about the update to the referendum from last year? or about the library extension? how about the AGM that happened? Maybe even an article semi-explaining the proposal for a student funded non-self-financing "self-financing" paper? Where is the actual student news? I could pick up an focal and put a copy in the middle of limerick city and the people wouldn't even know it was from the students of UL; the only thing giving it away is the clubs and societies. It needs to go back to it's roots and actually start updating students about student news. (who actually reads an focal to get fashion advice or premier league info?)

reunion wrote: »
    What 'news' does an focal cover? I see actual news but I don't see an focal's primary function, student news, being covered in the slightest.

Where is the article about the update to the referendum from last year? or about the library extension? how about the AGM that happened? Maybe even an article semi-explaining the proposal for a student funded non-self-financing "self-financing" paper? Where is the actual student news? I could pick up an focal and put a copy in the middle of limerick city and the people wouldn't even know it was from the students of UL; the only thing giving it away is the clubs and societies. It needs to go back to it's roots and actually start updating students about student news. (who actually reads an focal to get fashion advice or premier league info?)

Agree with a lot of this, opinion pieces are fine to an extent but its a news source at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

A new website is seriously needed.
    There's nothing wrong with the design or functionality of the website. I don't believe any effort needs to be invested in creating a brand new website given the existing one works fine is is less than 2 years old.
    Or any suggestions for a new website?
    Just put news on the existing one...

Advertisement