Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Heater Question

Options
  • 22-10-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

If I purchased a 2000w electric fan is that equivalent to running 20no. 100w light bulbs?
    I'm thinking a 2000w heater would cost a small fortune to run, the dude in the shop said it would not cost much to run as there is an element inside it!!!!
    Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It will use two units of electricity every hour, so roughly €0.40 / hour

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

IrlMonk wrote: »
    If I purchased a 2000w electric fan is that equivalent to running 20no. 100w light bulbs?
    I'm thinking a 2000w heater would cost a small fortune to run, the dude in the shop said it would not cost much to run as there is an element inside it!!!!
    Any advice is much appreciated, thanks

As DublinDilbert said, it will use 2 units every hour if it is on full heat but will probably be a slightly over 2 units if you included the current the fan will draw. If the fan has various temperature settings on it then the power used will be less when its used on a lower temperature setting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In terms of energy consumption, yes.

I think what the guy in the shop meant was that the fan within the unit was going only to be a small part of the running cost (say 10%) whereas the heating element would the balance (the remaining 90%).

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

It will use two units of electricity every hour, so roughly €0.40 / hour

How did you work that out?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

1000 watts for one hour is one unit which costs about €0.20

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    In terms of energy consumption, yes.

I think what the guy in the shop meant was that the fan within the unit was going only to be a small part of the running cost (say 10%) whereas the heating element would the balance (the remaining 90%).

How can you work out the percentages for the element on or off?
    Thanks

Thanks

I was only a guess, I picked the figure to explain the point made by the guy in the shop.
    Fans typically use very little power.

I was only a guess.
    Fans typically use very little power.
    Thanks again.
    Yes I was looking for a fan only and had a fair idea that the power consumption would be very low to run it.
    They salesman tried selling me a heater fan, and when I seen 2000w on the box I initially thought that it would be expensive to run.
    So now I learnt something new.
    The fan will run about 10% of the 2000w but if I put the heater on then the heater fan would cost 40c/hr using the total output of 2000w
    Cheers

Can anyone recommend a good fan that can be purchased in a shop in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Can anyone recommend a good fan that can be purchased in a shop in the Dublin area?

I've tried that route, but purchased fans tend to be overly clingy and obsequious. It's always better to earn them by the quality of your work. Sorry, couldn't resist :P *Gets coat and slinks off back to AH*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Regardless of what type of electric heater you buy the amount of power it will use will depend on how much heat you want to get from it. All heaters have some sort of element so maybe what the man in the shop said was that it had a thermostat.

A thermostat will allow you to set the heat output that you desire, with a low setting giving a reduced heat output and less cost and a high setting giving you high output with higher cost. There is no magic solution – you get what heat you pay for and you pay for what you get.

Personally, I would not like to be paying for any electric heater, except maybe for night storage heaters which are on a cheaper rate of electricity. These heaters use cheaper off-peak electricity at night and release the heat during the day. There is a bit of work in getting them installed because they need a separate meter and a circuit of their own.

ferretone wrote: »
    I've tried that route, but purchased fans tend to be overly clingy and obsequious. It's always better to earn them by the quality of your work. Sorry, couldn't resist :P *Gets coat and slinks off back to AH*

Haha............vgood ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

So when asked how much a fan heater costs to run, a fella in a shop saying not much because there is an element in it, is simply describing the fan? That`s some conclusion there. Maybe I missed something though.

Thanks

The ratio of heating element on to off time will vary widely depending on the size of the room, temperature it is being heated to by the thermostat setting on the heater, and the ambient temperature/room starting temperature.

So widely varying items that it would not be possible to easily give an on/off ratio really.

solas111 wrote: »
    Regardless of what type of electric heater you buy the amount of power it will use will depend on how much heat you want to get from it. All heaters have some sort of element so maybe what the man in the shop said was that it had a thermostat.

Sounds more likely that the man in the shop just didnt have a clue about such matters. Cheap to run because it has an element = buy this, its great....

Bruthal wrote: »
    So when asked how much a fan heater costs to run, a fella in a shop saying not much because there is an element in it, is simply describing the fan? That`s some conclusion there. Maybe I missed something though.

Either the guy in the shop was misunderstood, or what he said was simply incorrect.

If he was misunderstood I am guessing that he was trying to explain that the fan itself would only consume a small fraction of the 2kW.

Advertisement