Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated BSOD

Options
  • 22-10-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me an issue I've been having since getting a new PC about a week and a half ago. At random times, the machine (Win 8-64, 8gigs RAM, Intel Core i3) just gives me a BSOD. I don't always catch the error msg, but when I do it appears to be IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I spent all Sunday downloading all sorts of utilities and updates and things, and all seemed good Sunday and Monday, but I just had the same issue 10mins ago. A quick google points at things like anti virus (I use the Win 8 one) and bad drivers (everything's updated according to HP Update).

I've examined the minidump and get
    "Probably caused by : NETIO.SYS ( NETIO+1cfd2 )"
    I've run Bluescreenview, and as well as netio.sys, it highlights ntoskrnl.exe.
    I've run driver verifier and mcpr.exe and I'm still getting random crashes.

Anything else I should be doing/trying?

One more thing, in my device manager, under Other Devices, I see something pcouffin device... This was showing a yellow triangle, and I couldn't find any drivers for it, so I've disabled it. Google seems to suggest this is something to do with DVD burning software -- I had DVDFab installed, but have since removed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Quick update. Downloaded a new network driver from the HP site on Tuesday night, and thought that had resolved it, but got a BSOD this morning. I can't pin down if there's anything going on at the time it crashes (like I'm downloading something, or watching something, or hitting my head off the something), it just seems completely random.

Am I looking at returning the PC to whence I got it?

If it's only a week old, do a clean install from the discs or recovery partition. Don't install any of your own stuff for a few days. If it's BSODing on a clean factory install then send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Could be a defective driver or even a defective hard drive, if the BSOD is appearing randomly. I'd return it to be honest, no point in voiding the warranty or anything silly, especially if you only got it a week and a half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

update your chipset & wifi drivers... netio.sys is a chipset controller file for wifi network adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Interestingly, and I'm surely tempting fate here, but since I upgraded to 8.1, I've had no further BSODs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Might go into your BIOS, and on the Advanced Menu, SATA configuration, change it to IDE mode to try.

then boot windows and
    1. From the desktop right click on My Computer.
    2. Click the Properties option.
    3. In the System Properties window click the Advanced tab.
    4. In Advanced click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    5. In the Startup and Recovery window uncheck the Automatically restart check box.
    6. Click Ok.

then when the pc bsod's you will be able to see the error code

If that's not it, you can change it back to ACHI in the BIOS.

Advertisement