Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing the magazine cap on a Maverick 88‏

Options
  • 22-10-2013 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I would like to buy a rotating swivel cap for my Maverick 88. Does anyone know how to remove the magazine cap from the barrel? It appears to be held on with an internal star washer of some sort.

Thanks,

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Same as the Mossberg500 .Its a kind of "one way "[or star] washer that has about six micro splines that pop up into a recess on the bolt behind the thread thus capturing it.
    As such it isn't designed to be removed at all.So it is a piece you have to destroy if you want to change out the captive bolt cap.

I changed mine last year,and if you order a replacement bolt[I'd suggest Uncle Mikes of Oregon.About 20 USD on" Flea bay"] They provide the replacement cap,swivel,and one way washer and tool to seat it as well.Well worth the money,otherwise it is a almost impossible fiddly and fustrating job to try without the proper tool.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

YouTube it

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/150493/the-outdoor-connection-total-magazine-cap-with-sling-swivel-stud-mossberg-500-maverick-88-12-16-20-gauge-black

Like this? Says it comes with the special tool.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/44429

Or this? Call ior email one of these outfits they can probably help. Sometimes YouTube is hit and miss.

I used to own a Model 590, I think there are some vids out there on cap removal, but not sure how good.

Midway or "dirt and not cheap" as some refer to it in the US.Wont ship outside CONUS.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://www.midwayuk.com/

What about this, does that do any good for anyone there?

• Advertisement

Midway UK and Midway US WILL NOT ship to Ireland because we already have a midway.IE.
    Where it is or when it will start or what it will sell is another large and debatable can of wrigglers.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Advertisement