Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now what?

Options
  • 22-10-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭

Got a severe case of ich that I spotted too late and it wiped out my entire tank of fish.
    Once I do a water change or two and the water is healthy enough, I'll be looking at restocking it slowly.
    It's just a 60 litre tank so I know I'm pretty limited in what I can get. Any suggestions?
    I had tetras before this, I might end up just going with them again, but I'm gonna see if there's any other interesting fish I might be able to cater to before I make any decisions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Got a severe case of ich that I spotted too late and it wiped out my entire tank of fish.
    Once I do a water change or two and the water is healthy enough, I'll be looking at restocking it slowly.
    It's just a 60 litre tank so I know I'm pretty limited in what I can get. Any suggestions?
    I had tetras before this, I might end up just going with them again, but I'm gonna see if there's any other interesting fish I might be able to cater to before I make any decisions.

I've always liked the chili rasbora (brigittae) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

I would seriously consider treating the tank before adding fish. Whitespot when it bursts from the host, can be in the filtrr, substrate and everywhere else. Turn up the temp to 28 degrees and add a treatment. Then 25% water change and test the water before adding fish. But what caused ich in the first place? Usually water conditions or stress..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Ankhyu wrote: »

Yeah I know, like I said I'm in no rush to add fish until I'm sure the water is free of the parasite. I have it up at 30 degrees now and have a treatment in it. I'll be doing a water change over the next couple of days. I suspect it developed due to some new tetras I had added.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It definitely developed due to the new tetras. Ich, being a parasite, can only enter the eco-system of your tank via an infected fish. Luckily, if there are no fish left, it also can't survive without them. Turn the heater as high as it will go and it should be cleared within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

JanneG wrote: »
    I've always liked the chili rasbora (brigittae) :)

They look really pretty! After looking them up it seems that they get bullied easily though, so I'd have to pick tankmates very carefully, or just keep them on their own.
    I'm a sucker for variety though! Thanks for your suggestion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My tank that gets most positive comments is a planted 60l with a shoal each of white cloud mountain minnows and zebra danios. They contrast nicely against each other and, as it's a sub-tropical setup (kept at 18 degrees) the heater is on less than with my tropical tanks which I'm assuming keeps the electricity use down.

Advertisement