Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

The handling errors are making this very frustrating to watch.

The Irish 7 (Molloy?) is class though!

Yes, she's seriously good and has been awarded POTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

would love/hate to see the handling errors stat for this game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fab finish! They got the fourth try in the 81st minute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fair play Hannah Tyrell, had to do that all herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

be terribly disappointing if she ended up being offside.

Edit: Pretty sure that the TMO just gave up waiting for a camera angle and just gave it. lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

What a run by Tyrell, Try awarded

Well I haven't thought much of Stapleton throughout but she was inspired to kick that to Tyrrell to run the length of the field and get the BP try just after the 80!

Picked that up well in the second half .....fair play to them.

That bonus point was both completely deserved and entirely lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The crowds and viewing figures for the ladies are impressive. The levels of growth are strong year on year. Is there much a chance of the game going professional here in the next decade? If not on a club basis, on an international basis with appearance fees etc?

Do any Leinster schools play girls rugby?

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/impressive-crowds-and-tv-ratings-6n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

errlloyd wrote: »
    The crowds and viewing figures for the ladies are impressive. The levels of growth are strong year on year. Is there much a chance of the game going professional here in the next decade? If not on a club basis, on an international basis with appearance fees etc?

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/impressive-crowds-and-tv-ratings-6n

Currently I don't see there being any element of people being able to make a living playing rugby, beyond the 7's program of course. But if viewing figures and attendance keeps improving, who knows.

It's fantastic to see though. I have a little smile when I see women's rugby in the mainstream media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

errlloyd wrote:
    Why just ask about schools???
    They do but girls rugby has been built up in the club's. The schools are used to get girls playing in club's.
    I don't see game going pro bar women playing 7s and 15s together being pro players.
    In no way could you have club's but possibly international appearances could receive a fee but that would simply be semi pro

They do but girls rugby has been built up in the club's. The schools are used to get girls playing in club's.
    I don't see game going pro bar women playing 7s and 15s together being pro players.
    In no way could you have club's but possibly international appearances could receive a fee but that would simply be semi pro

I think the question was asked about schools because we know that there are girls playing in clubs.

To the best of my knowledge rugby is played in schools via development officers going out and training the girls, but there's no formal competition as there is with male schools.

That may change in the future though. Already now clubs are beginning to benefit from investing time into developing youth girls teams as they act as feeder teams to the clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I knew there is a club rugby women's game. I know loads of the girls in Railway and a few who have made the 7s team through that pathway.

I was curious as to whether there were schools getting on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Strange decision to gut the Irish backline to go an play 7's instead of against France this weekend.
    Substantially reduces our already slim chances of getting a result now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

robbiezero wrote: »
    Strange decision to gut the Irish backline to go an play 7's instead of against France this weekend.
    Substantially reduces our already slim chances of getting a result now.

Yeah I don't get at all. Surely with us hosting the World Cup here this year we should be promoting the 15s game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get at all. Surely with us hosting the World Cup here this year we should be promoting the 15s game?

You would think so and with the team already struggling for form, you would think it's the last thing they need.
    The 7's game in Ireland (mens and ladies) has about as much traction as Olympic handball.

molloyjh wrote: »

Unfortunately it's a bit of a struggle for resources between the two games and this is the way the higher-ups seem to favour. Not exactly a universally popular direction.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a struggle for resources between the two games and this is the way the higher-ups seem to favour. Not exactly a universally popular direction.

Not popular anywhere outside of the 7's coach I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And we're off in Donnybrook, after a musical breakdown with the anthems, not a rousing start.

Pre match analysis focussed more on the discontent over the Vegas 7s and the pulling of Naupou, Miller and Tyrrell. Certainly hard to fathom as Vegas isnt until next weekend and Ireland have the microscope on their XV team with the World Cup this year.

Early lively play from the forwards and Ireland get close but France escape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And we're off in Donnybrook, after a musical breakdown with the anthems, not a rousing start.

Pre match analysis focussed more on the discontent over the Vegas 7s and the pulling of Naupou, Miller and Tyrrell. Certainly hard to fathom as Vegas isnt until next weekend and Ireland have the microscope on their XV team with the World Cup this year.

Early lively play from the forwards and Ireland get close but France escape

If the first 15 minutes are anything to go by then they aren't really missed. Ireland are holding their own and scrumming well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Scrum is beginning to creak there towards the end.

Ireland are a pass or two away from unlocking France and a few better decisions

10-7 in front after 55 minutes.

13-10 now, enjoyable 2nd half, high energy, decent skill on show, Ireland unfortunate not to have got more change from time in the French 22. All to play for

Larbre34 wrote: »
    13-10 now, enjoyable 2nd half, high energy, decent skill on show, Ireland unfortunate not to have got more change from time in the French 22. All to play for

6 minutes to go. Still 13-10 and the French are down to 14 after a yellow.

That was some win! Grerat discipline at the end and defended like tigers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Great win. In the circumstances of losing three backs ti the sevens, that was remarkable. French couldn't believe they were being beaten.

Super from the forwards, well drilled, strong and energetic, frustrated the French all day. A few unforced errors around the field, especially in the backs, but Jenny Murphy was like a woman possessed, she'll feel it tonight but she can be proud of her outing. The tight five too, all excellent and having to play 80 each.

A clean sweep of a weekend against France, all the representative sides to be celebrated

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

A few strange decisions by the referee but a superb performance. I've watched all three of their games so far and this was the most impressive. Very impressed at some of the lineout variations, but there is still a concern that the combinations aren't settled enough. To be without four starting backs, the three that have been seconded to Vegas and Niamh Briggs who is injured, it was a forwards performance with Murphy.

It was very disappointing to see the call by Eddy to remove the three from the squad when it is a World Cup year, more importantly a home World Cup year. There isn't enough games left between now and the WC to allow combinations to form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,344 ✭✭✭✭phog

Sad news from Wales.

Elli Nirkett, a 20yo International with Wales Women has died following a car crash.

Thoughts are with her family, colleagues and friends. RIP

Advertisement