Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Red card in the women's game .. Deserved in my option, forearm to the neck of Ciara griffin
    was at least a yellow and wouldnt have complained too much if it had been yellow.
    Ireland with another try. hopeefully can push on get 4th try now and get bonus point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭caviardreams

God, France really stepping things up now. Dsiappointed for Ireland - very spirited performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ireland were very poor tonight. Mistake after mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Ireland were very poor tonight. Mistake after mistake.

Think your a bit harsh. They tried their best but it just wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Think your a bit harsh. They tried their best but it just wasn't good enough.

I agree that they tried hard. They had 52% possession but made far too many mistakes and lost by 30 points though which means they played badly.

• Advertisement

Team for Sunday named

IRELAND WOMEN’S Team & Replacements (v Wales Women, 2019 Women’s Six Nations Championship, Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff, Sunday, March 17, kick-off 1.30pm):
    15. Lauren Delany (Firwood Waterloo Ladies/IQ Rugby)
    14. Eimear Considine (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    13. Enya Breen (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    12. Sene Naoupu (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    11. Beibhinn Parsons (Ballinasloe/Connacht)
    10. Nicole Fowley (Galwegians/Connacht)
    9. Kathryn Dane (Old Belvedere/Ulster)
    1. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster)
    2. Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    3. Fiona Reidy (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    4. Aoife McDermott (Railway Union/Leinster)
    5. Nichola Fryday (Galwegians/Connacht)
    6. Ciara Griffin (UL Bohemians/Munster) (Capt)
    7. Claire Molloy (Wasps)
    8. Claire McLaughlin (Old Belvedere/Ulster)
    Replacements:
    16. Emma Hooban (St. Mary’s/Leinster)
    17. Linda Djougang (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    18. Laura Feely (Galwegians/Connacht)
    19. Edel McMahon (Galwegians/Connacht)
    20. Anna Caplice (Richmond)
    21. Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    22. Ellen Murphy (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    23. Laura Sheehan (UL Bohemians/Munster)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's really saddening to see how far Irish womens rugby has gone back in the last five or six years......

The very basics are lacking. Set piece is severely lacking. Peat shouldn't be having to play 80 mins at 38 years of age. Kicks from hand and tee are frankly of a seriously poor standard, have they no footballers at all? The Welsh kicker today is showing them how it's done.

The irfu should be ashamed of how they have let this happen

It's really saddening to see how far Irish womens rugby has gone back in the last five or six years......

The very basics are lacking. Set piece is severely lacking. Peat shouldn't be having to play 80 mins at 38 years of age. Kicks from hand and tee are frankly of a seriously poor standard, have they no footballers at all? The Welsh kicker today is showing them how it's done.

The irfu should be ashamed of how they have let this happen
    IRFU have to take a lot of blame but what do they do to improve things.

IRFU have to take a lot of blame but what do they do to improve things.

It's not my place to say..... the players have been saying what they want for long enough. Put the resources into the game even if it's loss making.

This loss means we finished in our lowest position in 13 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The RTÉ scoreboard showed there the England Women's team scored 80-0 against Scotland in their last 6 Nations game of the year.

• Advertisement

It's not my place to say..... the players have been saying what they want for long enough. Put the resources into the game even if it's loss making.

This loss means we finished in our lowest position in 13 years.
    Oh certainly but where do we put resources? Putting money into the irish squad and work for the top 30 players is fine but there is so many issues with the club game that needs to be done that too many people dont talk about. There is a small number of clubs with far too many of top players and that doesnt help bring standards up across the board.

The RTÉ scoreboard showed there the England Women's team scored 80-0 against Scotland in their last 6 Nations game of the year.

Not at all surprised.

Professionals v amateurs.

Not Scotland's worst ever result against them

Oh certainly but where do we put resources? Putting money into the irish squad and work for the top 30 players is fine but there is so many issues with the club game that needs to be done that too many people dont talk about. There is a small number of clubs with far too many of top players and that doesnt help bring standards up across the board.

Competely agreed.

Maybe there should be some rules brought in that teams can only recruit a small prescribed number externally each year, and all other recruitments should be from within their own structures.... Or through some kind of franchise deal with junior teams ... I'm sure you know what teams in getting at here.

As the girls have said today, no intermediate level between club and international means it's simply too much for a gap to step up for these girls.

One or two training session in a week of the six Nations isn't good enough. Remote review sessions where the girls have to critique themselves isn't good enough either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Who is the lady in the middle in the studio. The other 2 seem the most dominant.

Competely agreed.

Maybe there should be some rules brought in that teams can only recruit a small prescribed number externally each year, and all other recruitments should be from within their own structures.... Or through some kind of franchise deal with junior teams ... I'm sure you know what teams in getting at here.

As the girls have said today, no intermediate level between club and international means it's simply too much for a gap to step up for these girls.

One or two training session in a week of the six Nations isn't good enough. Remote review sessions where the girls have to critique themselves isn't good enough either.
    You see it in Galway with NUIG and Galwegians. Girls play junior league and colleges rugby with NUIG and then can play senior AIL with Wegians.
    Bohs are great for womens rugby in Limerick but it isnt great that theyve so many strong players and Richmond, Shannon arent near as strong. Would be far better for sport if Bohs strength was split across those 2 clubs.
    Should happen more. Maybe restriction on movement could happen.
    Provinces need to play more. Interpros has to go to 6 games. Like mens did in late 90s before celtic league was introduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You see it in Galway with NUIG and Galwegians. Girls play junior league and colleges rugby with NUIG and then can play senior AIL with Wegians.
    Bohs are great for womens rugby in Limerick but it isnt great that theyve so many strong players and Richmond, Shannon arent near as strong. Would be far better for sport if Bohs strength was split across those 2 clubs.
    Should happen more. Maybe restriction on movement could happen.
    Provinces need to play more. Interpros has to go to 6 games. Like mens did in late 90s before celtic league was introduced.

In terms of promoting the game, would double headers be a feasible change? Not only for the interpros, but what about ail games.

There's a number of clubs in Dublin who also have the monopoly of the women's international players, for a variety of reasons but one being due to the club investing in the women's team heavily and offering them the resources they need. Something needs to be done to try and help bring other clubs up to that level in the women's game.

I think alongside developing the top level, there's still a lot of work to be done lower down the chain in terms of encouraging young girls to play, do we have female development officers for girls schools?

does ulster have anything more than cooke at senior level? im not up to speed on my provincial teams..
    connacht have anything more than galwegians? are both these teams essentially provincial teams already?
    similar with UL in munster?

thgus is it a bit pointless for interpros to increase in frequency if 3 of the four teams essentially exist already as a club team?
    i dont know to be honest, im not involved at that depth....., im only asking the question.....

what i dont like though is the way some of the big 4 in leinster hoover up the best players from the league sunder....
    railway and belvo j1s are better than the majority of seniors in the province

do we have female development officers for girls schools?

CCROs dont discriminate

In terms of promoting the game, would double headers be a feasible change? Not only for the interpros, but what about ail games.

There's a number of clubs in Dublin who also have the monopoly of the women's international players, for a variety of reasons but one being due to the club investing in the women's team heavily and offering them the resources they need. Something needs to be done to try and help bring other clubs up to that level in the women's game.

I think alongside developing the top level, there's still a lot of work to be done lower down the chain in terms of encouraging young girls to play, do we have female development officers for girls schools?
    Thats been happening where clubs have AIL teams in both competitions.
    5 of the 7 Womens AIL clubs this season were also in the mens AIL and as it happens 3 of those teams were in 2A so there a lot of double headers arranged for Bohs, Galwegians and Blackrock. Marys and Belvedere are the other clubs with AIL sides in each.
    There is quite a few female development officers working in the game. Wendy Hickey and Emer O Dowd work in Connacht. Amanda Greensmith is just one working in Munster. There's a few in Leinster and Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Yesterday, in a rain-soaked Twickers. Grand slam win for the Red Rose Harlettes or whatever they call themselves. Game was well reffed by Ireland's Joy Neville. The Scots girls were heroic too, they made something like 220 tackles in the 80 minutes!

• Advertisement

CCROs dont discriminate

I didn't mean it in that way, I meant as in more female CDOs targeting girls schools specifically with different programs.

I didn't mean it in that way, I meant as in more female CDOs targeting girls schools specifically with different programs.

While I wouldn't say no, I don't know of one in my neck of the woods....

Most secondary schools are co-ed so I'm not sure how you'd introduce that. Clubs are certainly targeted at area level to develop their girls.

While I wouldn't say no, I don't know of one in my neck of the woods....

Most secondary schools are co-ed so I'm not sure how you'd introduce that. Clubs are certainly targeted at area level to develop their girls.

Was just a thought as most of the schools in North Dublin are still girls only or boys only, and I know the DCCC targets different programmes to go in to girls schools for camogie and ladies football.

does ulster have anything more than cooke at senior level? im not up to speed on my provincial teams..
    connacht have anything more than galwegians? are both these teams essentially provincial teams already?
    similar with UL in munster?

thgus is it a bit pointless for interpros to increase in frequency if 3 of the four teams essentially exist already as a club team?
    i dont know to be honest, im not involved at that depth....., im only asking the question.....

what i dont like though is the way some of the big 4 in leinster hoover up the best players from the league sunder....
    railway and belvo j1s are better than the majority of seniors in the province
    AIL is only 8 teams so only 8 senior clubs. Connacht has NUIG who're up there as best SSI colleges team for the past few years but they dont seem able to step up to AIL
    Think Interpros still need to increase even with dependency on players from certain teams.
    Yeah railway and belvos 2nds are better than many other sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I wouldn't be an expert on women's rugby by any extent but just a few things from what I've seen here.
    The provinces with only one ail club don't tend to have the situation where that club is basically the province team as loads of players from those provinces end up playing in Dublin.
    There aren't any CDOs who's sole interest is women's/girls rugby that I'm aware of but there are some who's main focus is the women's /girls game and 90% of their time would be dedicated to it. Larissa Muldoon in Leinster would be one example. All other CDOs would also work with womens/girls teams too just maybe not as often.
    The focus just now seems to be more on mixed schools and clubs as they're more likely to have the coaches, facilities, etc. That said there are more and more all girls schools getting involved all the time.
    The IRFU need to look at ways the women's game could generate more money to be put back into it because running it at a loss just isn't a long term option but neither is the way it is currently it seems. Be that a few years of loss making or another way they need to look at it.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I wouldn't be an expert on women's rugby by any extent but just a few things from what I've seen here.
    The provinces with only one ail club don't tend to have the situation where that club is basically the province team as loads of players from those provinces end up playing in Dublin.
    There aren't any CDOs who's sole interest is women's/girls rugby that I'm aware of but there are some who's main focus is the women's /girls game and 90% of their time would be dedicated to it. Larissa Muldoon in Leinster would be one example. All other CDOs would also work with womens/girls teams too just maybe not as often.
    Not really that true that loads players from those provinces end up in Dublin. Most players from/near Limerick will gravitate to Bohs because of their success/ Same in Galway.
    There is development officers who's sole focus is developing the womens game. But only 1/2 per province. Then the others who're going into primary schools will do plenty with girls with their tag workshops
    The focus just now seems to be more on mixed schools and clubs as they're more likely to have the coaches, facilities, etc. That said there are more and more all girls schools getting involved all the time.
    The IRFU need to look at ways the women's game could generate more money to be put back into it because running it at a loss just isn't a long term option but neither is the way it is currently it seems. Be that a few years of loss making or another way they need to look at it.
    I dont think generating money is the real issue as look at most levels of the game in the country as they run at a loss. International rugby earns 80% of all IRFU income.

Not really that true that loads players from those provinces end up in Dublin. Most players from/near Limerick will gravitate to Bohs because of their success/ Same in Galway.
    There is development officers who's sole focus is developing the womens game. But only 1/2 per province. Then the others who're going into primary schools will do plenty with girls with their tag workshops
    I dont think generating money is the real issue as look at most levels of the game in the country as they run at a loss. International rugby earns 80% of all IRFU income.

4/17 players in the original Ireland squad playing provincial rugby outside leinster play their club rugby in leinster, maybe loads was an overstatement but that's still quite a few.
    It's not their sole focus though and I know that for a fact. The likes of larissa Muldoon as I mentioned her title is Co-female development but she also does some work in boys/men's rugby. The primary schools ones you've mentioned aren't female only either. As I said their focus is women's rugby but it's not exclusively their area.
    What are you on about generating money isn't an issue, of course it is. The international men's team are earning pretty much as much as possible so for women's rugby to get more money it needs to generate at least some of it, you can't just print money and it's not as if the IRFU are sitting on a big pile of cash and just not using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

4/17 players in the original Ireland squad playing provincial rugby outside leinster play their club rugby in leinster, maybe loads was an overstatement but that's still quite a few.
    It's not their sole focus though and I know that for a fact. The likes of larissa Muldoon as I mentioned her title is Co-female development but she also does some work in boys/men's rugby. The primary schools ones you've mentioned aren't female only either. As I said their focus is women's rugby but it's not exclusively their area.
    What are you on about generating money isn't an issue, of course it is. The international men's team are earning pretty much as much as possible so for women's rugby to get more money it needs to generate at least some of it, you can't just print money and it's not as if the IRFU are sitting on a big pile of cash and just not using it.

I think the idea is that the money on one less central contract for the senior men's team could be used to transform the fortunes of the women's game. Given the salaries paid to the English women's team, one Cian Healy could be paying for pretty much the entire women's team.

troyzer wrote: »
    I think the idea is that the money on one less central contract for the senior men's team could be used to transform the fortunes of the women's game. Given the salaries paid to the English women's team, one Cian Healy could be paying for pretty much the entire women's team.

Then you run the risk of losing key international players and thus risk the men's team not being as competitive and as a knock on effect the popularity of rugby and the income that props up so much of the system.
    And for perspective an international prop is on 300-400,000 per year the women's team in England are on around 30k each so you could maybe get a 15 on one players salary but that's nowhere near sufficient for training and that's a pretty modest wage so would have to increase at some point in the near enough future and also doesn't include match fees etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Then you run the risk of losing key international players and thus risk the men's team not being as competitive and as a knock on effect the popularity of rugby and the income that props up so much of the system.
    And for perspective an international prop is on 300-400,000 per year the women's team in England are on around 30k each so you could maybe get a 15 on one players salary but that's nowhere near sufficient for training and that's a pretty modest wage so would have to increase at some point in the near enough future and also doesn't include match fees etc.

Those are the choices you make. You rob Peter to pay Paul. But the IRFU can't pretend to care about the women's game if it's willing to forgo a transformative change for an extra 1-5% in performance for the men's team.

You could start by contracting the bulk of the starting team. The professionalisation of the team makes it easier to attract sponsors who will top them up. You have to spend money to make money.

Advertisement