Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Denny61 wrote: »
    An absolute embarrassment....cannon fodder ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Why are RTE peddling this nonsense non-stop. The RTE news the other night was talking about Leinster's semi-final clash and then he says something like "but more importantly we have the visit of the French in the six nations"

It's an appalling standard and their advertisers must de legging it in their droves with RTE's constant promoting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

Edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Just changing to the top players being pro isnt enough as it doesnt get to the fact that there is major issues with the club game and fixing that has to be the priority as it will make it easier to develop more players.
    Spain probably shouldnt have been removed from the womens tournament but what different system would you suggest?

Oh I completely agree, until we have a development system that starts bringing through players from a young age we'll still have a problem.
    The professional aspect just seems a much quicker thing that could be fixed..... although with the IRFU's current financial status maybe not !

In terms of restructuring things, you could potentially go with a Northern hemisphere competition, with two tiers. A top tier with 4 teams and a second tier with 5.
    Granted that wouldn't work well if they want to continue with any Super Series competition and New Zealand mightn't be happy.
    Potentially promotion and relegation each season (at least a playoff to be fair to the 2nd tier winner).

So England, France, Canada, USA in Tier 1
    Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Wales, Spain in Tier 2
    Logistics are clearly an issue with that system, particularly if a non professional team gets promoted.

Alternatively you could have a European system with two tiers. A 3 team top tier and a 4 team second tier.
    Again either promotion/relegation or potentially a playoff. Due to only 3 teams, the top tier would have to be home and away.
    Main negative is the weakest team in the top tier probably gets 4 pastings that year from France and England, but it leaves more competitive games for the other teams, with an incentive to try and bridge the gap for the best of the rest.

Far from perfect, but is it really necessary to play the full 6 Nations in the current format ?, it'll quite possibly get more uncompetitive as the years go on and we'll be waiting to see if France can upset England, the vast majority of the other games involving those teams will be one sided hammerings.
    Kind of like having 4 teams at Italy's level in the current 6 Nations.
    Bringing Spain back into the fold somewhat is also only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The Irish ladies are not professionals and the French team are as close to professional as possible, also huge investment into the team. Plenty of hard work done by the ladies to see comments like this

I would never say the team are an embarrassment and to be honest it is embarrassing someone would make this sort of comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Denny 61, an embarrassment to this forum and frankly his Ma too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Quite amusing when you think about the lads who think they're qualified to comment on what constitutes professional or elite athletes probably haven't played at a higher level than schools or at best junior rugby on a Sunday.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Denny 61, an embarrassment to this forum and frankly his Ma too.

He got a Thank you as well :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It appears that they have taken up a hobby later on in their life and aren't anywhere near the level of professional atheletes that have played the sport from a young age. One could almost say that they're not at an elite level.

what an incredibly ignorant viewpoint.

do you have to be professional to be elite??

the dont tell the Donovan brothers with their world championship rowing gold medal that they arent "elite" because they are not professional rowers.

or tell annalise murphy that shes not an elite sailer

or mark english... or fionnuala britton...

at the end of the day sports people representing their country in an international competition are elite.. whether that sits well with you or not.

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Why are RTE peddling this nonsense non-stop. The RTE news the other night was talking about Leinster's semi-final clash and then he says something like "but more importantly we have the visit of the French in the six nations"

It's an appalling standard and their advertisers must de legging it in their droves with RTE's constant promoting.

I hate to tell you but Women rugby has fans all over the country, Irish rugby is more important than Leinster which is only 1/4 of Ireland......the only one peddling nonsense around here is you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Men's rugby and women's rugby are very similar. If you don't win the battle up front, it's hard to do anything productive. France absolutely bullied us into compliance - we matched it with that jiggly underdog bite for 10 minutes but then faded fairly quickly. The power difference was phenomenal.

That said, I think there's the bones of a good team here. A lot of the backs are very good - too many probably have a bit of a skill defecit but that can be improved on. Unforced errors were part of the build up analysis and it showed today - lots of scrappy spills when you just need to be that bit sharper ball in hand.

Reckon once development pathways begin to upskill players from younger than U18, then we'll see the team start to catch up to the likes of England and France. That could take a decade though.

Quick question: what's the story with Leah Lyons?

And, I don't want to be a backseat mod, but the report button is better than entertaining the weirdos looking for a cheap reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what an incredibly ignorant viewpoint.

do you have to be professional to be elite??

the dont tell the Donovan brothers with their world championship rowing gold medal that they arent "elite" because they are not professional rowers.

or tell annalise murphy that shes not an elite sailer

or mark english... or fionnuala britton...

at the end of the day sports people representing their country in an international competition are elite.. whether that sits well with you or not.

I didn't say that, I don’t believe you have to be professional to be elite at your chosen sport, but I do believe you need be at least somewhat competitive.
    I pointed out this amateur team were badly beaten by the French team who would be considered at near a professional level.
    The people you mentioned are competitive at an international level, this team isn't.

France isn’t even the best team in this six team competition. The gulf in class is huge, so it's really stretching the definition of the word elite. The competition was a foregone conclusion, they're really only there to make up the numbers.

I believe it is was a farcical decision to allow this obviously amateur team to train when other amateur teams aren't allowed to train and have been vilified for doing so.

I don’t agree with their favourable treatment, so much for us all being in this together.

I didn't say that, I don’t believe you have to be professional to be elite at your chosen sport, but I do believe you need be at least somewhat competitive.
    I pointed out this amateur team were badly beaten by the French team who would be considered at near a professional level.
    The people you mentioned are competitive at an international level, this team isn't.

France isn’t even the best team in this six team competition. The gulf in class is huge, so it's really stretching the definition of the word elite. The competition was a foregone conclusion, they're really only there to make up the numbers.

I believe it is was a farcical decision to allow this obviously amateur team to train when other amateur teams aren't allowed to train and have been vilified for doing so.

I don’t agree with their favourable treatment, so much for us all being in this together.

what amateur team are you referring to, that plays international competition and hasnt been allowed to train and travel?

surely you must have an example of this unfairness that has you so worked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No theyre not and the only embarrassing thing is your post.
    Asus X540L wrote: »

Its not an appalling standard and advertisers are getting more into rugby with a stronger womens set up as it totally changes the demographics of the sport if you have direct role models and interest for women and girls in the sport.
    Big Ears wrote: »
    Oh I completely agree, until we have a development system that starts bringing through players from a young age we'll still have a problem.
    The professional aspect just seems a much quicker thing that could be fixed..... although with the IRFU's current financial status maybe not !

In terms of restructuring things, you could potentially go with a Northern hemisphere competition, with two tiers. A top tier with 4 teams and a second tier with 5.
    Granted that wouldn't work well if they want to continue with any Super Series competition and New Zealand mightn't be happy.
    Potentially promotion and relegation each season (at least a playoff to be fair to the 2nd tier winner).

So England, France, Canada, USA in Tier 1
    Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Wales, Spain in Tier 2
    Logistics are clearly an issue with that system, particularly if a non professional team gets promoted.

Alternatively you could have a European system with two tiers. A 3 team top tier and a 4 team second tier.
    Again either promotion/relegation or potentially a playoff. Due to only 3 teams, the top tier would have to be home and away.
    Main negative is the weakest team in the top tier probably gets 4 pastings that year from France and England, but it leaves more competitive games for the other teams, with an incentive to try and bridge the gap for the best of the rest.

Far from perfect, but is it really necessary to play the full 6 Nations in the current format ?, it'll quite possibly get more uncompetitive as the years go on and we'll be waiting to see if France can upset England, the vast majority of the other games involving those teams will be one sided hammerings.
    Kind of like having 4 teams at Italy's level in the current 6 Nations.
    Bringing Spain back into the fold somewhat is also only fair.
    But we very much getting there in terms of a development system with just from todays squad alone - Beibhinn Parsons, Dorothy Wall, Amee Leigh Murphy Crowe - and then few others who are playing from same age as lot of the lads who are pro's. Theyre not simply girls who took sport up in college. They are rugby players first and foremost.
    A series like that sounds great but when you have amateur players for mostpart cross continental teams/competitions isnt going to happen bar occasional tours and a world cup.
    Quite amusing when you think about the lads who think they're qualified to comment on what constitutes professional or elite athletes probably haven't played at a higher level than schools or at best junior rugby on a Sunday.
    If even that.
    Men's rugby and women's rugby are very similar. If you don't win the battle up front, it's hard to do anything productive. France absolutely bullied us into compliance - we matched it with that jiggly underdog bite for 10 minutes but then faded fairly quickly. The power difference was phenomenal.

That said, I think there's the bones of a good team here. A lot of the backs are very good - too many probably have a bit of a skill defecit but that can be improved on. Unforced errors were part of the build up analysis and it showed today - lots of scrappy spills when you just need to be that bit sharper ball in hand.

Reckon once development pathways begin to upskill players from younger than U18, then we'll see the team start to catch up to the likes of England and France. That could take a decade though.

Quick question: what's the story with Leah Lyons?

And, I don't want to be a backseat mod, but the report button is better than entertaining the weirdos looking for a cheap reaction.
    And the development pathways are getting there. With the development staff who were named in this thread a page or two back getting far more clubs playing but that takes a lot of time to show at the top levels of the game.
    Lyons just not selected. In wider squad.

Except this team is quite competitive at international level. In europe. Since 2009 they have been in the top 3 apart from one year and were generally quite competitive. France are one of the top clear teams. If you are saying Ireland arent elite then your definition is extremely narrow

what amateur team are you referring to, that plays international competition and hasnt been allowed to train and travel?

surely you must have an example of this unfairness that has you so worked up?

I'm talking about intercounty football and the forore around the Dublin team training. I know the rules in place and I've been outlining why I disagree with them.

The Irish Women's rugby team are amateurs and are at a far lower skill and athletic level than any of the intercounty teams in GAA so providing exemptions for them to train and travel internationally is inequitable.

Saying they compete at an International competition is laughable, there wasn't much competition today and the competition is a farce at this stage.

You even said they haven't mastered the basic skills of the game and their decision making isn't great. I know the sport is in it's infancy so I wish them the best but that's not a reasonable excuse for these decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ninja edit to a complete and utter spiteful and nasty rant.

You obviously carry an almighty large chip on your small shoulders.

OldRio wrote: »
    Ninja edit to a complete and utter spiteful and nasty rant.

You obviously carry an almighty large chip on your small shoulders.

I didn't know you weren't allowed to edit posts without being accused of such nonsense.

Well go on, enlighten everyone to what I said if it was so nasty.

I'm talking about intercounty football and the forore around the Dublin team training. I know the rules in place and I've been outlining why I disagree with them.

The Irish Women's rugby team are amateurs and are at a far lower skill and athletic level than any of the intercounty teams in GAA so providing exemptions for them to train and travel internationally is inequitable.

Saying they compete at an International competition is laughable, there wasn't much competition today and the competition is a farce at this stage.

You even said they haven't mastered the basic skills of the game and their decision making isn't great. I know the sport is in it's infancy so I wish them the best but that's not a reasonable excuse for these decisions.

So....

You don't have any comparable examples...

Why are you ranting then?

So....

You don't have any comparable examples...

Why are you ranting then?

So you've nothing to say against my argument? Apart from agreeing that this amateur team aren't competitive at an international level.

Get over it

We are not all in this together, it’s clear a load of people are extremely bitter about everything and everyone.

How grown adults have spent the last year going “well if they done that can we do this” like a group of school children is baffling to me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Garda Kenny

I think someone in close to the game can give a more adequate summary of the Irish performance than any pundit or supporter here. However they can only micro analyse what has gone before and give individual player assessments of their individual play. It is impossible to predict what will unfold in any game but knowing your opponents strengths and weaknesses it is possible to forecast what will happen in broad term.

Ireland were outplayed today. A lot of that was physical deficiency to their more consistently training fully professional French counterparts. Having said that it is a cop out to pull the “we were bullied physically” card. There are ways to counteract one on one mismatches on our own line and elsewhere around the pitch. But it requires greater discipline by the bigger Irish players being present on the fringes consistently on our own line.

With regard to line breaks, discipline and communication can negate breaks occurring in our line. Trust must be developed between players and that only comes by playing together for a long period of time. There are numerous deficiencies less game time presents to our team. Playing from minis is not one of them. All that does is plant the seed of role models and wanting to commit your life to a goal from a younger age- it doesn’t guarantee success like repetition and experience provide.

There are numerous areas to be improved - infrastructure is only one. Size and athleticism another. They can all be worked on and improved.

So you've nothing to say against my argument? Apart from agreeing that this amateur team aren't competitive at an international level.

They're more than competitive against their peers. They beat Wales well, and will play Italy next week in what will be a cracking and challenging game for them.

The fact is England, and to a lesser degree, France, aren't their peers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I seen what Ireland did to Wales last time out, and just watched the news showing France destroying Ireland.

Wonder how many France will run in against Wales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

NIMAN wrote: »
    I seen what Ireland did to Wales last time out, and just watched the news showing France destroying Ireland.

Wonder how many France will run in against Wales?
    France beat Welsh 53-0 two weeks ago

Next week they play England in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭99nsr125

sebdavis wrote: »
    He got a Thank you as well :mad:

That's because he's right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Go back to your studying. The Leaving Cert starts in 2 months

Well it's telling that you didn't disagree that they should have forfeited as that would have been less pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Well it's telling that you didn't disagree that they should have forfeited as that would have been less pathetic.

Why are you trolling the women's rugby conversation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

I was sad to see the ladies result yesterday but loved being able to watch them on rte. There is plenty of talent and intelligence on the team. France had great strength and were more physical and hopefully if/when we go professional our ladies will be able to compete with the likes of England and France.
    Thank god for sport at the minute offering some well needed covid distraction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭mun1

Are people upset about the score or the performance ?
    Ireland lost by a heavy margin yesterday but in the men’s game there is at least one game every week with the same unbalanced scoreline in the T14, Pro 14, English premiership. Exeter beat wasps by a similar score yesterday and this was 2 professional teams.
    On the game itself , I’d say the video review session today will be uncomfortable for a lot of the senior players in the squad . Some brainless penalties conceded at crucial times (griffin with hands in ruck just after halftime and France got PT from line out ), some offloading which were poor decisions, some poor one on one decisions in defence .

I looked at game again and Ireland were stunned to be two tries down so early and I don’t think they anticipated or planned for this scoreline and this lead to some poor decision making and panicked plays. They also seemed surprised and unprepared by France playing through their forwards.
    Flood made a huge difference as playmaker and kicked well to force the game into Frances half .
    Onwards and upwards, it will be some tussle with the Italians next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Did you enjoy today's game?

I thought Ireland really showed their elite level with the 41 point loss.

User banned , other posts have been infracted. Move on.

Advertisement