Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

The hooker is very good in loose but that is all undone by her set piece which is very average and her throwing causes a lot of problems for Ireland

djougang Monaghan and wall are actually very good as is

the rest of the pack and 9 and 10 are average and if they go professional need to get themselves better

last night you had a 9 who never ran, an 8 who ran too much, a hooker who cannot throw, a lock who is not mobile enough but seems a good captain, an out half who had zero influence on the game, and a 7 who played like a 6,

the issue with the hooker is a tough one, she is good at breakdown and in defence but she can’t throw, she needs to fix that or she will always be a liability. She can win you a penalty at the breakdown and then hand the ball back to the opposing team at the resulting line out. not currently good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's not that difficult to find out their names, or to capitalise 2/3 players whose names you knew.

Think you're overly hard on Caughey (I'll leave you to work out which one she was) given she'd been thrown in at the deep end.

your reply is a josh at me, back the players up if you don’t agree

i am only telling the truth , the scrum half supposedly is the best we have , should have started against wales - she does not run with the ball and so is easy to defend, she was not helped by the 8 as she is a very poor player.

she had that big penalty and that was impressive but she never offloads and to easily turned over. Must be better than her around

"The scrum half" has a name, as does the number 8 🙄

So you agree with my posts but complain about me not using their names

I know who played 8, I don’t have to keep repeating the names

• Advertisement

I most certainly do NOT agree with your posts. But as you continue to disrespect the players (which you don't do in men's rugby threads) I once again ask that you have the decency to call the players by their names.

You criticise Hannah O'Connor but failed to mention her epic kick. Not many backs can score from that distance, and forwards are not known for their kicking prowess, she steadied the ship with those vital points but the only thing you had to say was that she ran too much.

Disrespect?

i am calling it the way it is, I am not going to dance around it like most of the media coverage is doing

they have some good players and some players who are going to have to be replaced if you want Ireland to do well

also I did say the kick was good, but she is a very poor player in general. I assume there is better coming through.

Ireland ladies will not advance as I assume you want them to do by sugar coating the harsh truths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

7s team got bronze in canada 7s beating france in bronze game 22-14

amee leigh murphy crowe got 4 tries in the bronze medal game

They've been phenomenal all weekend, lost to France in the pool stage but beat them when it mattered. Amee Leigh is a phenomenon,12 tries this weekend. Kicking still a problem, Mulhall missed a lot of conversions.

Really disappointed in the low level of coverage of the 7s by the IRFU this weekend, until they won medals - they're all over that.

We're now 5th (of 12) on the world standings, two podium finishes in a row. In a 7s World Cup year that's bloody exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

The England and Welsh squads are on full-time professional contracts, France on semi-professional. I'm not sure where you get your information from.

• Advertisement

put up for everyone to see what monies are being paid in womens international rugby for England and wales and France.

i read the English rugby union pay up to 30000 for players, but not all players get that. Why would you go full professional for a wage that is so low and trade off a career for that .

the mens rugby game has serious money problems and France bought the next World Cup by offering millions that every union needed, there is also a very good chance that concussion claims could finish the sport if the courts find against the unions.

ladies rugby should stay amateur and I the ladies 6 nations and world cups should ban paid professionals , this would make the England experiment disappear overnight.

dont make the same mistake the men made on the 1990s , the game is not sustainable long term as a professional sport.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hahahaha

I read an article where they said the ball is too big for ladies rugby. I was not going to say that here because I would have been accused of all Types

the future of womens professional rugby if there is going to be one is a smaller ball and the sevens game, that’s the game to promote

thats a debate worth having. AFL use a smaller ball in AFLW, Gaelic use a smaller ball in ladies football.

so the smaller balls suits the female physiology.

on the flip side you cannot achieve the same distance kicks with a smaller ball.

world rugby did trial a 4.5 a few years back but the general consensus was for a return to a size 5

i think a bigger issue is womens rugby going from a 4 to a 5 once you leave youths age grade. At least in male rugby they play with a 5 from 16s onwards so they are well used to it when playing adult rugby.

we used a 4.5 this year for our club u18s to train with (and it was a bitch to try to actually source a 4.5)

Irfu looking for those involved in women's game to give feedback on the game I Ireland right now...

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/06/02/irfu-seeks-submissions-to-women-in-rugby-action-plan-survey/

Ireland Women’s Squad, Japan Tour:

Forwards:

Chloe Pearse (UL Bohemians RFC/Munster)

Christy Haney (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Clara Nielson* (Exeter Chiefs/IQ Rugby)

Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)

Edel McMahon (Wasps/IQ Rugby)

Emma Hooban (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Grace Moore (Saracens/IQ Rugby)

Hannah O’Connor (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Jo Brown* (Worcester/IQ Rugby)

Katie O’Dwyer (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Laura Feely (Blackrock College RFC/Connacht)

Linda Djougang (ASM Romagnat Rugby/Leinster)

Maeve Óg O’Leary (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)

Neve Jones (Gloucester-Hartpury/Ulster)

Nichola Fryday (Exeter Chiefs/Connacht)(Captain)

Sam Monaghan (TBC)

Taryn Schulzter* (Saracens/Ulster)

Backs:

Ailsa Hughes (Railyway Union RFC/Leinster)

Aoife Dalton* (Tullamore/Leinster)

Dannah O’Brien* (Tullow RFC/Leinster)

Emma Tilly* (MU Barnhall RFC/Leinster)

Enya Breen (TBC/Munster)

Kayla Waldron* (Hamilton Hawks/IQ Rugby)

Lauren Delany (Sale Sharks RFC/IQ Rugby)

Leah Tarpey* (Tullamore RFC/Leinster)

Molly Scuffil-McCabe (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Natasja Behan (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemians RFC/Munster).

43 centralised contracts starting this season including those on 7s contracts now

With Gillian McDarby appointed as Head of Women’s Performance and Pathways

I'm not sure appointing from within is the best option but it's all a whole lot better than it was before.

Obv we dont know who else applied but i think her background in High Performance as both an athlete, she was an elite level cyclist and in support roles in cycling and rugby means she knows what has gone on before and what should be expected.

She has a lot of experience and opportunity to fix a lot. While she is an internal appointment i dont see it as an issue considering where shes come from and her experiences before that

Appointing from within to a position is a hell of a lot better than not having that position at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a very tricky situation as do you bring in this new rule, which isn't easy, or do you wait and hope for the best that there's not going to be a bad injury?

Just be aware the science is very one sided on this and anywhere that has brought in such a ban where they polled the women in that sport, it had the support of the vast majority them. Then there's also that the numbers of people transitioning has been steadily increasing and the ages of those transitioning steadily decreasing.

• Administrators Posts: 54,065 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You missed the one above 😉

Anyone know if the women's games in Japan will be televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do people have opinions on the two former English internationals making their way into the Irish squad for the Japan tour.

Not sure if the games are being broadcast. The IRFU website doesn't even list what time they are on at which is a big failure imo.

I have an issue with this one and her red rose still in her Twitter bio the day she flies out with Ireland.

Doesn't help that she's nowhere near Moloney in terms of form but Moloney is the sacrificial lamb.

How is she eligible? Never actually got capped for England?

Last cap more than 3 years ago, ditto Jo Brown. Must have Irish heritage though I could find no mention of it in any articles I read yet their eligibility/heritage is one of the first things mentioned in relation to male players playing for other countries than their home nations.

Both games to be shown live by TG4

Still no mention of game times though

• Advertisement

Advertisement