Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Ref is very quick with the whistle.

That's probably game over unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

The ref is ****e!! called in the side against a fecking tackler on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ref today has been appalling. Worst ref performance I've ever seen. Mad keen to blow the whistle and seems to be making it up a lot of the time after she does. Where was the side entry there!? Tackles aren't even completed before she's blowing the whistle for not releasing. It's such a bad display from her.

Another card ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    The ref is ****e!! called in the side against a fecking tackler on the ground

As good a call as the one where cantwell was off her feet when she very clearly wasn't?

Terrible reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

As good a call as the one where cantwell was off her feet when she very clearly wasn't?

Ref a total joke shop.

But the best team won.

I demand more women's rugby on RTE, not less. Why the hell not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

molloyjh wrote: »
    I demand more women's rugby on RTE, not less. Why the hell not?

Agreeded. Really enjoyed watching it, don't have the oppertunity to go to matches so rely on radio / television coverage. There are a few girls on the squad that I used to play various sports with and against in years past and love to see them playing for their country. Knowing how athletic they were, I can see what level the the team is at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

kksaints wrote: »
    Would you call that a good Irish performance? Thought England were quite comfortable winners.

Compared to Irish performances of old, it was good. I think the ref ruined it but there were good aspects of the Irish performance. Scrum, maul both performed well. Line out was more stable than two weeks ago against Wales. Defence was good, and they kept Alphonsi quiet which is a feat as she is a beast.

Although we lost we can take a lot from the game. England are the second best team in the world and we were within a score of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

What was the final score didnt get to see the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

gugsy wrote: »

17-10

gugsy wrote: »

17-10 to England.

Interesting comment by George Hook after the match: There are good Irish women sprinters, about 199th. best in the world, who won't make it to the Olympics. If they converted to rugby sevens we could be in with a shout at Rio 2016.

feargale wrote: »
    Interesting comment by George Hook after the match: There are good Irish women sprinters, about 199th. best in the world, who won't make it to the Olympics. If they converted to rugby sevens we could be in with a shout at Rio 2016.

The irfu have run open days for the 7's. They sent a lot of fresh faces to the sevens series this month. Girls who had never played rugby but could run fast.

It did not end well.

But that nature program or "terrible movie" would be a lot more popular than women's rugby.

I noticed this sudden promotion of women's rugby came around the same time as the men's team performed poorly this time last year.

Its seems to be in the media interest to promote apparent success in rugby to try and keep the so called rugby fans in this country happy, is case they go back to not giving a s#&t once the national team is loosing

Apparent? They won the grand slam last year ffs!

Two years ago the women slept on the floor of a train the night before their match in France. They deserve better than that. I think it's only right that the most successful sporting team of last year gets some airtime.

Nobody complained when Katie Taylor was on the tv :rolleyes:

Edit: also the "so called" fans of women's rugby tend to be the hard core fans who play or support grass roots rugby.

sullivlo wrote: »
    The irfu have run open days for the 7's. They sent a lot of fresh faces to the sevens series this month. Girls who had never played rugby but could run fast.

It did not end well.

Yeah I think some can make the transition but most won't. A good few years back when they started a girls team in my town they tried to attract those from the athletic club and gaa teams including myself. Those who were sprinters didn't work well - being tackled when going full tilt was completely a different sensation. Most quit afraid of injury and damaging competing in their main sport.

Perhaps your example had a different reason for not working out though.

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Yeah I think some can make the transition but most won't. A good few years back when they started a girls team in my town they tried to attract those from the athletic club and gaa teams including myself. Those who were sprinters didn't work well - being tackled when going full tilt was completely a different sensation. Most quit afraid of injury and damaging competing in their main sport.

Yeah I think the "saving myself for the <insert sport here> season" is massive in rugby.

There are steps in the right direction. And it pains me to say it, but I agree with Hook on certain things. There are more girls getting involved from a younger age, similar to the other sports. Meaning that for some rugby will be the main sport. And if they are brought up tackling, they won't shy away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

feargale wrote: »

To be honest, I think Hooky's talking through his .... dickie-bow ... when it comes to women's development. He'd never suggest gathering up male sprinters to try and cobble together a men's team.

• Advertisement

Because the vast majority of the licence paying public have no interest nor desire for it to be aired? Seriously think about that 'why the hell not' question you ask.

The majority of the paying public would have preferred the X-Factor and Big Brother over the years. The RTE is about more than simply bowing to peer pressure. It's a service that has to cater to more than just majority whim. Women's rugby is very much an up and coming sport that could really take off with the added coverage. That's a positive thing. If you're happy being nothing but negative about it then that's your prerogative . There's plenty of us happy to take a positive and constructive view. Sure they only won a GS last year ffs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

yeahimhere wrote: »

I played rugby with the Blackrock womens team in the early nineties, and remember one match with a division three team, where they suffered so many catastrophic injuries that we ended up playing sevens.

Getting used to the idea of someone hurtling into you full tilt, or over you when you are lying injured/knocked out somewhat on the ground takes some adjusting to.

I have to say it was probably one of the most enjoyable sports I have ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭kksaints

But that nature program or "terrible movie" would be a lot more popular than women's rugby.

I noticed this sudden promotion of women's rugby came around the same time as the men's team performed poorly this time last year.

Its seems to be in the media interest to promote apparent success in rugby to try and keep the so called rugby fans in this country happy, is case they go back to not giving a s#&t once the national team is loosing

Well they did win the Grand Slam last year. Also this match was a potential grand slam decider plus rte most likely thought that there would be an overspill of viewers who watched the mens match who were possibly going to stay on and watch the womens match.

All in all the match was ok quality wise and it was an interesting experiment. Personally I couldnt see them surviving rating wise as a stand alone match like the u20 but it possible it might work as a run up match or after the mens match like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Stheno wrote: »
    I played rugby with the Blackrock womens team in the early nineties, and remember one match with a division three team, where they suffered so many catastrophic injuries that we ended up playing sevens.

Getting used to the idea of someone hurtling into you full tilt, or over you when you are lying injured/knocked out somewhat on the ground takes some adjusting to.

I have to say it was probably one of the most enjoyable sports I have ever played

High five for being a rockette!! I play with them currently.

With regards to the sprinters coming or there is one already in the development setup. Its hardly an original idea by Hook though sure just look at Carlin Isle!

Unfortunately they need to be strong Nd brave as well though!

sullivlo wrote: »

It did not end well.

Maybe they would improve with a bit of coaching? If you get one or two out of it that would make it worthwhile.

To be honest, I think Hooky's talking through his .... dickie-bow ... when it comes to women's development. He'd never suggest gathering up male sprinters to try and cobble together a men's team.

It doesn't arise - there's no men's team going to Rio.

If you confine tv sport to what most people want you will get just GAA and Soccer. Golf and horse racing, for instance, will get the boot. I have little or no interest in either, and you would be doing me a great favour if you if you logged into the golf and horse racing threads to advocate their disappearance from tv. Trouble is, a national tv channel has to cater for minorities too.

Stheno wrote: »

It does indeed! Think the fear made me run faster though :p

I wasn't brave enough I'm afraid and my body was always in bits so gave it up. Happy with just playing tag now but always had great admiration to those who kept it on. I'm just a wuss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

calfmuscle wrote: »

With regards to the sprinters coming or there is one already in the development setup. Its hardly an original idea by Hook though sure just look at Carlin Isle!

Unfortunately they need to be strong Nd brave as well though!

Yeah they are still lacking fitness and speed, brazil beat them by 15 points last week, 30 this week, and were only spared last place by a dodgy ref decision.

Who are supposed to be the speedsters on the team? The seem to get burned on outside a lot and are rarely able take advantage on open space. The slow motion replays show them puffing and giving up the chase way to soon.
    Cronin and Houston are only two who look to be up to standard there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Thud wrote: »
    Yeah they are still lacking fitness and speed, brazil beat them by 15 points last week, 30 this week, and were only spared last place by a dodgy ref decision.

Who are supposed to be the speedsters on the team? The seem to get burned on outside a lot and are rarely able take advantage on open space. The slow motion replays show them puffing and giving up the chase way to soon.
    Cronin and Houston are only two who look to be up to standard there.

They can't defend or ruck, with the exception of Shannon (who has played 15s for Ireland) They have sent a load of hockey and GAA players who are great with the ball in hand but what use is that when your defending for 12 minutes!!

Advertisement