Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options
1697071727375»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Surprised nobody mentioned the WAIL final on Sunday. Cracking match. Beats me why Chisom Ugueru isn't in the Irish 23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Good match. Shame more didn't go and also that it clashed with 6 nations weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭thamus doku

I enjoy watching the women’s rugby when on tele but I admit I know very little on the players.
    I watched the wail final on tele and ugwueru looked good as did Flannery who had good moments and finished well, her passing was really good.
    To me the standard was overall good.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kita99

Both Ugwueru and Flannnery were very impressive in Celtic Chllenge in this year. I don't know why they were not selected, maybe they are not Leinster players. I think that Ugwueru will fit 7's more than Corrigan, so IRFU should use her as hiddened weapon at Olympics. AT current world rankings,Ireland women sevens team (7th) is above UK (8th=31points margins). At Olympics, Ireland has the possibility reaching last 4 if getting the favolite grouping. Ugwueru may be X-factor for it.

They're not on the IRFU women's contracts, you pretty much have to live within the M50 boundaries to get one of those. Contracted players get preference for selection to the national team.

• Advertisement

Does IRFU prepare for U20 six nations (July)? If they has a strong will to win against England at 4/july, The squads already must be selected and began the training camp (long term). If at U20 match, Ireland win or make (get) close game, Ireland senior team may fight a bit decsent game against England than the current team. Does anyone has squads information? And I think that next year's 6N should be held at Limerick or Galway because spreadding fans and players in those areas. Humphreys should ponder it. He looks thinking only Dublin and Belfast It's unfair..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ireland play in cork very often. So between Dublin, Belfast and cork they play in three of the provinces.

They certainly could move a few games to Galway and the redevelopment of the sportsground will certainly make it an attractive destination.

On the u20s summer series, the squad isn't picked yet. Interestingly they can select 3 x u23 players in the squad as well. It's very much a development competition, so while good results will be the goal, it won't really be a yardstick of the quality of squads at that level as it won't be strongest team every time

Of course they're in prep for 6 nations. Multiple camps held already. Training games etc

Squad won't be likely announced for a few weeks considering games don't start until early July.

Thank you. I know that W6N v England took place in Cork, and was placed 3 times in Limerick(1997,2003,2007). But after that no west side of island has been selected as the venue although many excellent players are there like McMahon, Breen, Wall, Parsons, Flood, Reilley etc. So I think that Limerick is the good place for total Ireland. And if Limerick don't want it, then Galway may receive it imo.

Thank you. So I think that the problem is their actual training hours and the density. Watching U18 festa, Ireland had almost equivalent height and weight and run ability but looked inferior a bit in the field of physicality and fitness + passing speed and restandig speed after tacklings. To resolve this, I think that Ireland need the intensive hard work for a month in a row if possible.( Indeed I know the difficulity include the compensation.) Can Humphreys prepare that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭thamus doku

how will the new rules affect womens rugby. Will it have same affect as it will for the mens.

• Advertisement

U 20 womens 6 Nations festa will begin soon in Palma, Italy where very inhot weather (degree is near 30°c.) So I 'm afraid of players health. For almost Irish players, this is the first internatinal experience (except Celtic challenge), and first opponent is England in this heat. So I want to say them 「please take care for never getting injury or illness」.

ManMany the players have played international at 18s and yes it will be warm but worry for their health. Wouldn't think it's that bad.

I am not a doctor, but know about the heatstroke well from my experience. So I worry it. I know U18 Festa too. It took place in Wales at spring season where was far different from Palma's heat. Is IRFU has had preparation for the heatstroke?If it has been done, maybe they will be Ok. I think that this series are some kind of friendly, (Briggs said that this will be difficult match against England who has had different pass-way from Ireland who made women's U20 team first time.) And they(she and some players) said that they emphasis on. the experience.) Anyway please prepare massive water and ice and do 'energy saving' rugby.

The coaches, medics, tournament organisers are all far more sure about all this and it really isn't an issue. If too warm there's mandated water breaks and it's really really not going ro be an issue.

Anyway in other news connacht play Ulster tomorrow in a warm up ahead of senior interpros in august

That’s very good. Players all looked healthy and learned many things from this good experience.

On the other hand, there was another problem. We (rugby fans in the whole world including Ireland and UK) could this match on live streaming through youtube channel on demand, but that program was shutted off because that the program was including some contents (of which copy and another rights belongs to SME =Sony Music Entertaiment or enterprize). I cannot understand that reason because in the rugby internatinal match of rugby(and other sports) only natinal anthem or rugby anthem is used in the game time. And I think it's hard (about them) SME has any legal rights for any anthems. this is strange and ridiculous thing. Maybe this was over-reaction by Youtube. So I 'll try to ask a question to Sony group for getting some recommendation. And I am seeking to avoid this restriction by myself now, but I don't know whether it will go well.

Thanks, youtube now recovered naturally.

And I think that both players needed one more water -break at each half because (even at evening Palma seem very hot for rugby players). Two tries from Ireland was excellent. Their scrums was very good. They need to improve their pass-speed and length and their defending skills (positioning and communications). I expect their next match against Italy.

GGuess Work again. Regs only allow 1 break unless temperatures really were very hot and medics demanded it.

Expect what of match against Italy?

1. No injury 2 Enjoy rugby 3 Play speed. At the first match against England, Ireland concentrated well in 2nd half. So I hope that they will do it from the beginning at next match.

It was not rugby match. All Irish players fought well against mad weather and strange and poor ref. And IRFU didn't prepare for this abnormal heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Stuck on the second half of the Womens Under20s this morning.

Disappointing loss but some promise in there.

Lots of good skills and good defensive technique and attitude.

Contact skills were really really poor though. Italy got to poach the ball at will so Ireland never got a foothold. Rucks weren't resourced well enough and the technique around it was also poor. Ball carriers caught not fighting for their feet too often.

Not too disappointed there were some good showings.

Faith Oviawe looks to be an absolute superstar. At times looked like the overage player playing underage. She was out there taking NAMES of the Italian players with her hits. Seriously pacy and very strong in contact. Probably needs to work on her ball handling skills.

I don't recall her standing out in the AIL final but I don't have a great memory of the game.

Hopefully we see her step up to senior international rugby next season. Any team needs an athlete of her calibre

I agree this post about Oviawe. But at the same time, The poor preparation of IRFU was obvious. Maybe Campbell who retired early in the first half seemed to get heat stroke.

Advertisement